Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah she looked like she came from a fan film on youtube.

I'm very very curious as to how the timeline of GoTG are going to sinc up with the modern day timeline. I mean, we know that Thanos is going to be in GoTG...but that takes place way in the future, so what does that say about the Avengers' eventual battle with him? Or maybe the Avengers travel to the future to fight him in A3? GAH my brain!! lol

Yeah she looked like she came from a fan film on youtube.

I just remember my initial reaction upon seeing her ..... I was like "Really Gunn? Really?!?!??!?! :doh:"

I actually couldn't get into the scene because of it.

Yeah she took me out of the film. They should've just cut her out entirely.

I'm very very curious as to how the timeline of GoTG are going to sinc up with the modern day timeline. I mean, we know that Thanos is going to be in GoTG...but that takes place way in the future, so what does that say about the Avengers' eventual battle with him? Or maybe the Avengers travel to the future to fight him in A3? GAH my brain!! lol

...wherever you picked up that it takes place in the future, put it back. That rumor was shot down a long time ago.

Wow I actually liked the pink girl felt very old school

I 'get' what they were trying to do with her, an homage to old school 70's sci-fi, but I just didn't think how they handled her worked in the scene.

The whole thing was over the top. I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't. I was excited about the Guardians tease, but I hope the movie plays off better than that one scene did.

I enjoyed the GOTG stinger – including pink girl! :)

I love how Sif and Volstagg acted as out of place as they looked. Showed different sides of the cosmic side.

Last edited:
I wanted a little more creativity in the aliens in GotG than a regular human with pink paint. The weird toy doll walk didn't help.

That being said, BDT was great. Can't wait to see more of him. And I know it's taboo to mention this anymore, but I still really think he'll be Thanos. The look on his face at the end--and what he said--was totally Thanos.

I think people are way over thinking this.

I wanted a little more creativity in the aliens in GotG than a regular human with pink paint. The weird toy doll walk didn't help.

That being said, BDT was great. Can't wait to see more of him. And I know it's taboo to mention this anymore, but I still really think he'll be Thanos. The look on his face at the end--and what he said--was totally Thanos.
It was ONE alien. >.>

I think people are way over thinking this.
Definitely.

It was ONE alien. >.>

It was also a first impression. To me, that's important. GotG is still my #1 anticipated movie of 2014, but I do hope the rest of the aliens are more well-designed than that. I'm sure they will be.

Marvel didn't "let" .... it was upon their own insistence. They've been doing this credit stinger thing since Iron Man.

They tried to skip a step with this one though. There were no allusions to The Collector or the necessity to separate the stones during the movie. So the audience got done watching a zany convergence battle play out where they are having a hard time understanding what exactly is going on ..... the movie ends ...... and then all of the sudden there are two lesser important Asgardians on a set that was tossed together last minute looking more fish out of water than Thor on Earth. Some eccentric guy with white hair shows up, they willingly hand over a universally destructive stone, and then the eccentric man cackles something mysterious.

Look at the templates in IM2 or Avengers. In IM2 we're told Coulson is leaving to check out things in the southwest before we inevitably see him there. In Avengers, Thanos is alluded to in all scenes with The Other. None of that happened in T:TDW ........ imo they should've had some kind of scene after the climax where they have some kind of round table to discuss what to do with the Aether. Then during the mid-credit have them at the BiFrost site getting teleported .... followed by the Tivan Tanaleer meeting.

Man when they first showed that girl with the pink skin greeting Volstagg/Sif, I just cringed. It looked like someone quickly dumped that girl in some pastel and told her t get on set.

Marvel has final say on these things. Someone had to see it and approve it. So someone thought it was good enough and "let" it make it to the final cut.

I was thinking Mantis because of the green skin. She seems to have a mouth, but it's a weird one.

Good guess.

So Thanos --- I mean, Taneleer Tivan, *koff koff* --- is shown, allegedly, to have Adam Warlock (his famous cocoon is on prominent display throughout this scene) and Mantis already in his possession. Pretty damn powerful trophies in that collection, and both with enormous implications for the fate of the Marvel cosmos.

I wonder if teases for Phyla, Moondragon, and/or Bug can be far behind...

You can tell it was done at the last minute.
Espcially the pink girl, who looked like an intern they just pulled in to finish the scene. She looked coplayish.

That "cosplayish intern" is
Ophelia Lovibond. We've known about her involvement in the movie for months as The Collector's assistant. Everyone naturally assumed that meant Carina, his daughter, but this looks *nothing* like Carina. Nor any other character I can think of, anywhere in the Marvel U. Educated guess, she's meant to be a pink-skinned Kree (since there's lots of other Kree in this movie, albeit of the blue-skinned variety. Maybe.)

I'm all for stylish retro space operas.

My issue now is that everyone's copying each other, so everything looks the same in sci-fi be it games or movies.

Why can't sci-fi be over the top anymore? Who says everything has to be grey and clean?

That's why people like Rock Sexton will never "get" this movie. It's supposed to be stylish, artsy, retro. Fifth Element; Flash Gordon; Farscape; Doctor Who; Star Trek TOS. That's why I'm glad as hell Gunn is going for the space opera vibe of the DnA era, instead of this generic Mass Effect crap of the current GOTG run.

I thought the walk was spot on. It was creepy, goofy, over the top, cheesy and bizarre... Exactly like BDT was. It fit. When you look at the characters as a whole, it worked. Every character on that side of this cosmic story is the polar opposite of Asgard. They're proper and traditional on Asgard. With the Collector, its campy, goofy and a bit creepy. Everyone one of them should make you raise an eyebrow and give a "wtf."

Now, I can defend or even comment on the quality of makeup. Frankly, i wasn't paying attention to that the first go-around. But you can tell by BDT's portrayal of the Collector that everything is meant to be a little retro and cheesy. It worked.

Bizarre. That is the perfect word to describe it and I hope that the entire movie is just as bizarre. It IS very Doctor Who-ish and I hope that comes across in the movie. The scene was jarring after Thor: TDW and I find that to be a good thing. They found a way to create an atmosphere even more alien than the rest of the nine realms and that's awesome to me. If you can make Volstagg and Lady Sif look normal then you are doing a good job. If GOTG continues to feel like this short scene then it is going to be my favorite Marvel movie (I LIVE for this cosmic ****. :woot:)

In an interview that came out today over at CBM, Gunn said it was slapped together in the last minute. They filmed it in 2 hours. It shows.

Well, glad there's some official(ish) word that the reason it looks so cheap is indeed because it was a rushed job.

Well, glad there's some official(ish) word that the reason it looks so cheap is indeed because it was a rushed job.

Or, you know, that could be exactly the retro look Gunn is shooting for.

Viewing suggestions for today:

classic Dr. Who episodes
classic Star Trek TOS episodes
Flash Gordon (1981)
Flash Gordon (movie serials)
Buck Rogers (70s TV show)
The Fifth Element
Starship Troopers
Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy
Logan's Run
Lost In Space
1970s-80s Battlestar Galactica
any Terry Gilliam movie

Haha wow. You guys are something else. If you think the look is cheap you probably should stay home in August because its obvious he's going for the retro vibe there. I thought the scene was great and I've been thinking about Guardians all day.

Or, you know, that could be exactly the retro look Gunn is shooting for.

Viewing suggestions for today:

Retro and cheap looking are not the same thing.

I could take a design that evokes a certain era, as long as the quality of the work shows.

Having a butterfly that is a noticeable cardboard cutout, and similar set issues? That's unacceptable. It has nothing to do with evoking the 70's, it's poor quality work.

I disagree that it looked cheap, as well. I get the same vibe Darth and cherokeesam are. I love that type of stuff, so yes please Mr. Gunn, I will have another :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"