Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain

elgato

There's a storm coming.
Reaction score
http://www.thestraintrilogy.com

Here's the link to the official page of a new book I just finnished reading today, The Strain. It's a story of vampires written by one of the best movie direstors of modern times, Guillermo del Toro. In my opinion, I LOVED IT, even though I prefer classic vampire stories, like Dracula or Carmilla this is a really interesting book, part one of a trilogy. For those who are sick of the gay Twilight vampires, this is the choice ;)

Yeah, I just started reading this. Awesome book so far.

I finished it last Sunday actually. I really enjoyed it. Some of the scenes that Del Toro and Hogan wrote, especially in the middle of the book, sent chills down my spine. Very creepy. I'm looking forward to the next book(s).

Just about to finish this, had to say how much I love it. This is a welcomed new 'version' of vampires that I hope catches on. Del Toro is a master story teller and I can't wait to read the next installment.

Abraham Setrakian = bad ass

Guillermo Del Toro Is Coming To New York -- And MTV! -- To Talk 'The Fall'

The Fall LP: Book Two of the Strain Trilogy will be released on September 21, 2010.

From io9:
Get into Guillermo Del Toro's vampire series with this excerpt from "The Fall"

From MTV 06/16/2010:
Guillermo Del Toro's New Vampire Book 'The Fall' Arrives Soon, And You Can Win A Chance To Meet Him
Adam Rosenberg said:
One of my favorite books of 2009 was "The Strain." The result of a collaboration between Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, "The Strain" offered a decidedly fresh (and exceedingly creepy) take on the vampire myth. Framing vampirism as a biological condition akin to a virus, the book is part vampire story, part outbreak novel and all satisfying. New York City is consumed by this disease as we follow a few colorful character in their struggle against the rising storm.
The second book, "The Fall," is due for release on September 21. I tore through it over the weekend and it's great, delivering very well on the narrative promises made in the first book. We learn more about some key characters, meet a range of new ones and are provided a deeper glimpse into the backstory leading to the first book's cataclysmic event. The hardest thing is turning to that last page and realizing we're more than a year away from the final chapter in this saga.

As a cool treat, HarperCollins has teamed with Fandango for a contest in which the grand prize is a meet-and-greet with del Toro. All you have to do is head over to TheFallSweeps.com and follow the instructions -- which involve pre-ordering the new book -- there.

Look at it this way: here's your chance to ask del Toro all of the questions you want to about "The Hobbit." Awwwww... I made it sad, didn't I?

From MTV 1/8/09: Guillermo Del Toro Unveils Plots For His ‘Epic’ Vampire Novels
Shawn Adler said:
When news was came recently that director Guillermo del Toro was writing a series of vampire novels with author Chuck Hogan, headlines and columns across the internet rang out in chorus: committed for the next four years to “The Hobbit” and some half dozen projects after that, del Toro was already straining, spreading himself too thin. He would never — how could he ever — possibly find the time?

Problem is, the story isn’t true, del Toro told MTV News. He’s not writing a series of vampire books with Chuck Hogan – he wrote them.

“It looks incredibly busy and baroque, but everything has its own place. These things seem to happen simultaneously, but the reality is they are announced simultaneously,” the affable and visionary director said. “The novels – it’s been written already. Chuck Hogan and I have been collaborating for over a year. I wrote the outline for that novel almost two years ago.”

It’s a good thing too, given the “epic” scope del Toro envisions for the project, which traces the lore of vampires all the way from antiquity to the modern age – the type of vampire story that isn’t really told anymore, the type that owes as much to Mesopotamian myths as it does to Bram Stoker.

Indeed, even just a cursory search of vampires on Wikipedia reveals legends and tales of the undead from nearly every culture in history – stories of deceased Eastern Europeans rising from their graves or Old Testament bloodsuckers hungry for a next meal.

And if those ancient stories aren’t really told anymore, well, that’s exactly what attracts them to del Toro, the director said, adding that the release of the trilogy will culminate a lifetime’s worth of fascination with and love for those myths, ideas he’s been “keeping in [his] notebooks ever since the mid-90s.”

“I wanted to find a place to create a vampiric epic that takes you all the way to the modern day, to find out when the vampires started - going beyond Mesopotamian myth, going beyond all of that,” del Toro grinned. “Not the attractive, Brad Pitt-esque, decadent lovers that have sex. I wanted to make them like an alternate species and an alternate spiritual creature to man, and the idea is that the series will flesh out that re-invented vampiric myth - respectful of the lore, but taking you through the ages.”

But while the story will go through history, it’ll start in modern times, del Toro said, revealing details about the first novel’s plot for the first time.

“The first novel is sort of a procedural horror novel, which starts at an investigation of a plane that is essentially like the ship in [Stoker’s] ‘Dracula’ - it just stopped and everybody on board was dead,” del Toro teased, referencing “The Dementer,” a ship Dracula boards to London which arrives with just the Captain alive – the rest of the crew victim to the winged one’s thirst for blood. “And an investigation ensues.

“And what happens is an epidemic,” he continued, connecting disease to the first novel’s title, “The Strain.” “But it’s an epidemic unlike I believe the stuff that is [big] in vampiric fiction.”

“The Strain” will get released sometime next summer.

I just finished the second book and it was very entertaining reading experience.
Looking forward to the conclusion of the trilogy but waiting for it will be tough.

I just finished watching the trailer to the movie. I thought it looked great! I have to read this book.

I just finished watching the trailer to the movie. I thought it looked great! I have to read this book.

No movie of The Strain trilogy is in the works. The trailer you saw was for the book(s). And yes, you should read the books, it's highly entertaining and very suspenseful. I'll definitely recommend it.

Which reminds me, I must read the third book soon. :yay:

You know I've been meaning to read The Strain. Is it a book you guys highly recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"