Superman Returns Harris & Dougherty say they are Not Discounting supes 3&4 its still Canon

Secret_Riddle said:
i doubt they will pull anything from superman 3 and 4 so fans can discount them i guess.
yeah. I think SR wont contradict them. But at the same time, it's not relying on them for any sort of continuity. They're just stand-alone adventures.

musclesforsupes said:
Vague History Should Be Grounds For Banishment From The Hype. BTW If I hear Singer Say Vague History on any DVD commentary I will go crazy.

BTW II: Hopefully they will show the other Superman Suits that were gonna be used.
Nothing wrong with those two words..only thing I can see wrong with them is that some people can't grasp the concept.

Venom71 said:
Nothing wrong with those two words..only thing I can see wrong with them is that some people can't grasp the concept.

mostly because it is confusing; its not just a "vage history", its a vague-pick-and-choose-history

Steelsheen said:
mostly because it is confusing; its not just a "vage history", its a vague-pick-and-choose-history
Not really that confusing...you can use S:TM as Supe's origin if you want, SV if you want...or the comics if you want the way I see it.

we're Superman fans dude. they can turn the history upside down and inside out and we'll still be able to follow it. but if we look beyond our immediate circle, even to other DC fans but doesnt follow the Superman franchise they're confused too.

Steelsheen said:
we're Superman fans dude. they can turn the history upside down and inside out and we'll still be able to follow it. but if we look beyond our immediate circle, even to other DC fans but doesnt follow the Superman franchise they're confused too.
I can see where that could be a problem.

It depends, they are going to touch a little bit upon his origin at the beginning of the film and through flashbacks. We will see how that plays out.

What is "canon" is it an american slang word for something ?

Or do you mean "Cannon" as in the Salkinds company who distributed ?

Captain Villa said:
What is "canon" is it an american slang word for something ?

Or do you mean "Cannon" as in the Salkinds company who distributed ?

Canon

Main Entry: 1can·on
Pronunciation: 'ka-n&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin, from Latin, ruler, rule, model, standard, from Greek kanOn
1 a : a regulation or dogma decreed by a church council b : a provision of canon law
2 [Middle English, prob. from Old French, from Late Latin, from Latin, model] : the most solemn and unvarying part of the Mass including the consecration of the bread and wine
3 [Middle English, from Late Latin, from Latin, standard] a : an authoritative list of books accepted as Holy Scripture b : the authentic works of a writer c : a sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works <the canon of great literature>
4 a : an accepted principle or rule b : a criterion or standard of judgment c : a body of principles, rules, standards, or norms

5 [Late Greek kanOn, from Greek, model] : a contrapuntal musical composition in two or more voice parts in which the melody is imitated exactly and completely by the successive voices though not always at the same pitch
synonym see LAW

(from m-w.com)

Christopher Reeve Superman and Brandon Routh's Superman are one in the same. I consider them the same guy, there's not a different version for each.

As I say in my sig, Vague History is a copout!

venom420 said:
Christopher Reeve Superman and Brandon Routh's Superman are one in the same. I consider them the same guy, there's not a different version for each.

As I say in my sig, Vague History is a copout!
Vague History is fun!:p

Hmm.... Even after all the reading all the posts I have read, sadly you guys have not been able to change my mind. ITs not a sequel to me:)

DvilDog, we DID decide to change the wording to "continuation" because after in-depth post's, it was agreed that a sequel must continue the narrative of the previous film. SR doesn't. But it does continue the lives of the character in the Donner film, hence continuation.

venom420 said:
DvilDog, we DID decide to change the wording to "continuation" because after in-depth post's, it was agreed that a sequel must continue the narrative of the previous film. SR doesn't. But it does continue the lives of the character in the Donner film, hence continuation.
Please don't speak for me

PHP:
Venom71 said:
Please don't speak for me

I wouldn't want to. You can go ahead and keep swallowing the vague history bullsh^t for all I care.

I was talking about the thread that debated if this moive was a sequel or not. You weren't seriously a part of it. Mind your own business.

venom420 said:
PHP:

I wouldn't want to. You can go ahead and keep swallowing the vague history bullsh^t for all I care.

I was talking about the thread that debated if this moive was a sequel or not. You weren't seriously a part of it. Mind your own business.
How Rude!

Even if you don't want to consider it a sequel, what's the problem?

Why can't they just open a completely new film with him returning after five years? Why should they have to re-tell the origin? It's not like anyone in the audience is going to say, "Wait a minute. Who is this guy? Why can he fly?"

musclesforsupes said:
Vague History Should Be Grounds For Banishment From The Hype. BTW If I hear Singer Say Vague History on any DVD commentary I will go crazy.

the hype is a haven for overused buzzwords! just try to find a thread on the batman boards without the words "duality" or "heightenned realism" in there somewhere

my personal favourite : "verisimillitude, how many syllables was that? Yeah baby, I know stuff"

The thread title is misleading
The "vague history" terminology handwringing is asinine

Call it what you want. It's fiction, it's not a governmental bureaucracy. If the phrase "vague history" makes you crap in your pants and squish it twixt your buttcheeks, then DON'T USE IT. If you want to discount the following sequels, you can. It's up to you. it's FICTION

NONE OF THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED. IT'S TOTALLY FICTIONAL

If you wish to disregard III and IV--YOU CAN DO THAT. There's nothing that says whatever "canon" is has to have ANYTHING to do with how YOU enjoy the movie.

To then get so wrapped up in TERMINOLOGY to the point where you start diarrhetically spraying all over damn near every thread about how people are using words you don't like? That's some petulant petty bulls**t. You can't make people not use words you don't like. You can get a sense of perspective and common sense, or you can stamp your feet like a spoiled 4 year old that can't change the rules of the game he's playing.

And again, this whole thread is a misrepresentation of what was ACTUALLY said in the interview, as was pointed out by the few posters here who actually READ the article. At least change the thread title, somebody, so they don't wander in getting the wrong idea and smearing this crap all over the forums

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"