Superman Returns SR fans......its the little things........

^ Thats true, i doubt they will set it straight after Returns though. For one, it will take Lex a while to get off of that island and if he does, he will probably go to jail again. AND it will take a while for a Kryptonian villain to make it to earth also.

Watching the movie again last night i gotta say that the scene were Superman goes above the clouds and charges up is simply awesome and one of the best scene's of this year.

Plus, the music playing at he time is simply perfect, LOVE this scene.

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
......that make me love this movie, i dont know about other SR fans but i'll give a few examples of what i mean:

Lois looking out the window of the plane and seeing Supes zoom by.

The God-like music when Superman flys through the second wing.

One moment I really like is when Superman flies away after hearing Lois tell Richard she never loved him, with the voice of Jor-El saying how he is not one of them.(Added by Spoarz TM)

When Clarke drops his glasses at the planet and Lois gives him them back without looking up, and his subsequent look when putting them back on.

"You wrote that the world doesnt need a saviour, but every day i hear people crying for one."

Superman floating in space listening out for a cry for help.

The look Superman gives Kitty through the back window of her car when he saves her.

Superman fighting back against Lex on New Krypton despite not having his powers.

Another is just after Superman has just been rescued by Lois, Richard and Jason on the plane, as he leaves to go back to the new Krypton, just before he steps out of the plane, he says 'Goodbye Lois'. (Added by Spoarz TM)

His journey above the clouds to be bathed in sunlight (i especially love this moment).

His unconscious descent from the sky and the people of Metropolis stood totally still watching it.

The needle bending in the hospital when they try to treat him.

Jason's kiss to Superman's head while he sleeps in hospital.

And his emotional speech to Jason while he slept.

And one that really comes to fore on repeat viewings is Clark's mother saying "Clark the universe is a big place, you dont know who's out there, and even if you are the last....your not alone."

I think it is these little parts that make Superman Returns a really good movie, and not the huge action sequences, though they are great. Its these little things that give the movie the heart it has. Anyone else agree?

Thought i'd re-post this as it beens slightly updated and we need a positive thread back on here.

^ Cool, I've just realised that the moments that I mentioned have been added to the list. :woot:

They were added a while ago Spoarz as i just had to put them in, cant believe i missed them the first time but good on you for pointing them out!

I love when Kitty realizes that Lex has gone too far on New Krypton.

The beating he took was emotionally powerful.

The ship crashing back to earth reflected in the window.

Am I morbid if I look forward to the hospital scene cause I know I'm gonna see Routh's ciseled pectorals? :D

TheComicbookKid said:
I love when Kitty realizes that Lex has gone too far on New Krypton.

The beating he took was emotionally powerful.

The ship crashing back to earth reflected in the window.

Those are two REALLY good parts of that scene, NO scene thus far during 2006 has come close to the emotion in the beating scene. And Kitty's reaction just makes it all the more emotional because, despite being an evil person, she knows Lex has gone too far and tries to tell him.

LadyVader said:
Am I morbid if I look forward to the hospital scene cause I know I'm gonna see Routh's ciseled pectorals? :D

NO, of course not.......it just makes you a perve!:cwink:

SpiderMarc said:
I think we're in the minority here....Probably because I think a lot of MEN got the movie, but the little fan boys didn't (want non-stop over done action/violence).

I've been a Superman fan since the late 70's (when I saw Chris Reeve/Brando), and Returns is my favorite out of all of them...It's a morer ealistic portrayal of Superman...

I got the movie, unfortunately what I got was a vision of an imature, irresponsible, creepy, depressed and hopeless Superman b/c everything he does creates more problems for innocent people and himself. There is nothing realistic about that portrayal of Superman. Some character maybe, but that is not Superman. That is why 'fanboys,' or fans of the character beyond the movies do not like SR and think it is horrible.

^IMO Superman was non of those things in the movie except maybe depressed, yet he still nearly died to save the people of Metropolis and saved countless lives in doing so, that sounds like Superman to me.

kryptonitedog said:
that must mean you have a poor taste in movies,

because i found that scene dreadful,

I stopped reading right after that.:o

No really , because you found that scene dreadful he has poor taste in cinema? Remind me you are please? Lol

Seriously answer me or not , i will not bother, that is not a dialogue , it's ridiculous.

Watching the movie again last night i gotta say that the scene were Superman goes above the clouds and charges up is simply awesome and one of the best scene's of this year.

Plus, the music playing at he time is simply perfect, LOVE this scene.

I agree completely.

Really a superb scene :yay:

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
^IMO Superman was non of those things in the movie except maybe depressed, yet he still nearly died to save the people of Metropolis and saved countless lives in doing so, that sounds like Superman to me.

The parts you mention are the 'super' part of Superman.

THe man parts were= Fathering an illegitemate child, that is irresponsible.

Leaving w/o telling Lois was imature and uncaring towards her.

Stalking her and Richard and Jason were creepy. Going into Jason's room w/o Lois and Richard's permission is unlawful entry as well as creepy.

Not being there for Lex's trial was irresponsible.

Trying to break up RIchard and Lois was also immature AND irresponsible.

Not having a discussion with Lois on Jason's future was immature and irresponsible.

The 'man' parts of Superman were all wrong. Yes I said wrong those parts are not part of the character in ANY medium. That is why this movie was so bad. If anyone who really knows the character can shed some information to prove otherwise, please do so.

kryptonitedog said:
that must mean you have a poor taste in movies,

because i found that scene dreadful,

i bet singer thought he was clever by making superman go the sun, and then make a ***** like "i'm tough again" smirk from Routh.

not only that, the crappy choral music was dreadful and another of john Ottmans ****ty score which was pathetic

john Ottman did to john williams superman score what marco beltrami did to brad Fiedel's terminator score. He twisted it, relegated the main themes, added his own generic pathetic crap and thought it was good.

an absolute disgrace

even superman 4 had a better score, at least John williams returned and got his old pal Alexander Courage to make a top class score, instead of the crappy drivel we got served by Ottman, probably the worst composer in the history of cinema,

he's so pathetic, he actually thinks his Fantastic four score was "brilliant",

what a deluded sad person to think that,

piss off Ottman, and take your hacks along with you and stop ruining the motion picture film,

when you go and see a film you want to hear a great score, not something pathetic like Ottmans stuff,
not only does he rip off other composers, he ruins other composers work too,

taking a whole part out of the superman theme? what a moron,

im glad the movie flopped, teach those morons a thing or two,

Please dont even bother replying to me anymore unless you learn to accept other people's opinions are different from yours. What a ridiculous post.

Maze said:
I agree completely.

Really a superb scene :yay:

Yeah really has an atmosphere to it and makes Superman look like a God. Great scene.

mego joe said:
The parts you mention are the 'super' part of Superman.

THe man parts were= Fathering an illegitemate child, that is irresponsible.

How was he to know Lois was pregnant? Honestly, for all of his powers, hes not a mind reader, or a pregnancy tester, how the hell was he meant to know?

mego joe said:
Leaving w/o telling Lois was imature and uncaring towards her.

Its clearly stated in the movie that Superman never told her because he found it too unbearable to say goodbye, i dont see the problem with that.

mego joe said:
Stalking her and Richard and Jason were creepy. Going into Jason's room w/o Lois and Richard's permission is unlawful entry as well as creepy.

Oh your having a laugh arent you, this is a ****ing movie. Also, as Bosworth said in an interview, Superman has never been in love before, so he doesnt how to react when he loses Lois. And he wasnt stalking them, he looked and listened in to them for 30 frigging seconds because he wanted to see Lois in her new life. Oh and i think he had every right to go into Jasons room at the end to see his son, and Lois didnt mind him doing it either.

mego joe said:
Not being there for Lex's trial was irresponsible.

How was Superman to know they would let Lex go if he didnt turn up? Please tell me?

mego joe said:
Trying to break up RIchard and Lois was also immature AND irresponsible.

He wasnt trying to break them up, doing that would be telling Lois lies about Richard and how he is wrong for her, or giving Richard a hard time because he is going out with Lois, he did neither, and saved Richards life without hesitation, AND helped him get away from NK and thanked him for helping saving Supermans life.

mego joe said:
Not having a discussion with Lois on Jason's future was immature and irresponsible.

He found out Jason was his son with about 5 mins of the movie left, he was overjoyed to have someone like him on earth, i dont think having a talk was the first thing on his mind once he found out he had a son. A talk will come in the sequel.

mego joe said:
The 'man' parts of Superman were all wrong. Yes I said wrong those parts are not part of the character in ANY medium. That is why this movie was so bad. If anyone who really knows the character can shed some information to prove otherwise, please do so.

Well i disagree, of the Superman i know, the one SR was him to me.

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
How was he to know Lois was pregnant? Honestly, for all of his powers, hes not a mind reader, or a pregnancy tester, how the hell was he meant to know?

It doesn't matter if he knew or not. Responsiblity comes before the knowledge of pregnancy. I didn't say he was irresponsible for leaving a pregnant Lois, I said he was irresponsible for conveiving the child, period. Becoming a parent is a huge responsiblity. The way this plays out is very immature and teenager-ish. It does not portray respobsible adults.

Its clearly stated in the movie that Superman never told her because he found it too unbearable to say goodbye, i dont see the problem with that.
The problem is that he is only thinking of himself and is not considering Lois's feelings. HE loves her and he can't be truthful to her? That is cowardly. HE cannot face his own hurt so he doesn't end up hurting her? HE knows how she feels. That is why that is out of character.

Oh your having a laugh arent you, this is a ****ing movie. Also, as Bosworth said in an interview, Superman has never been in love before, so he doesnt how to react when he loses Lois. And he wasnt stalking them, he looked and listened in to them for 30 frigging seconds because he wanted to see Lois in her new life. Oh and i think he had every right to go into Jasons room at the end to see his son, and Lois didnt mind him doing it either.

The problem here is that the characters are not allowed to actually engage in meanignful discussion to resolve any conflict. NOne of the personal conflicts in this movie can be resolved by longing looks and stares. The characters actually have to talk about the problems.

He may not know how to act, but he certainly should know that using his x-ray vision to spy on Lois's new life is ethically wrong. He might not know what to do, but he should know what is wrong. Put yourself in his position. Girlfriend moves on, are you going to go peek in at her through the window? That would probably get you arrested if you got caught.

So, he doesn't know what to do? Well, I would imagine like everyone else he would turn to his friends and FAMILY for suport. I could see him talking to Jimmy or going back and talking to Ma Kent. I can even see him talking to Lois and just laying it all out and saying, "I don't know what to do?" Of course she so mad at him she proabably wouldn't even want to listen. But it might go some distance in creating closure and redefining their relatinship.

How was Superman to know they would let Lex go if he didnt turn up? Please tell me?

Common sense? You're the guy who has the most reliable information on this criminals propensity for repeat offense. His testimony would be critical at any sort of hearing on Lex Luthor. It's also the responsible thing to do. HE could easily have had a deposiiton taken before he left for Krypton. Again, responsibility.

He wasnt trying to break them up, doing that would be telling Lois lies about Richard and how he is wrong for her, or giving Richard a hard time because he is going out with Lois, he did neither, and saved Richards life without hesitation, AND helped him get away from NK and thanked him for helping saving Supermans life.

He was trying to get Lois to feel the same feeling when they flew together the first time, as if to say, "This is why you love ME." He would never lie outright. But it just comes off as if he is trying to subvert the relationship. By getting her to remember her feelings, and (implied) get her to choose him over Richard.

Of course he saved Richard. He's not portrayed as evil in the film, just immature and irresponsible. He's still going to save people, he just doesn't have all his stuff together as a mature adult.

He found out Jason was his son with about 5 mins of the movie left, he was overjoyed to have someone like him on earth, i dont think having a talk was the first thing on his mind once he found out he had a son. A talk will come in the sequel.

Such an important part of the movie deserved more screen time and it deserved to be addressed in THIS film, not a sequel. If the kid storyline wasn't so out of character then it wouldn't be so troublesome, but "Paternity Test For Superman" just doesn't fit with the history and wholesome goodness of the character. Therefore, it is hard to make it work w/o a lot of exposition.

Well i disagree, of the Superman i know, the one SR was him to me.

Unfortunately, all the movies have included things that make me cringe: Turning the world backwards to change history, SUperman depowering to have sex with Lois, Clark being overly bumbling and foolish, the whole 'forbidden to put one earthling above the others' bit, and the God/Christ-like allusions. These place SUperman in a position above the rest of the people on the planet, and he's always supposed to have been one of us as much as he is alien b/c of his human upbringing. His connection to the human race comes from his upbringing and I think the movie portrayal distances him from that. He should have friends, good friends, but the movies don't allow him much friendship outside of work acquaintances that don't really like Clark for who he is, he is just portrayed as a joke. Clark keeps him human and connected to humanity through his frienships and his life as a regular person. In the movies the Clark identity is one dimensional, when it really should be deeper.

I believe you have stated elsewhere in this forum that you have never read the comics. I imagine if you read some you would see a very different Superman.

When Donner did his movie, the window dressing was quite different from the comics of the time. I think SR presents a Superman that is very different from the essence of the character.

Superman: Peace on Earth, Man of Steel, Up, Up and Away, SUperman for All Seasons, Superman in the Seventies are different places to start.

^I'll answer this more fully tomorrow, as i dont have time now, but no i have never read the comics, my knowledge of Supes comes from the movies, and various animated and live action series'.

mego joe said:
It doesn't matter if he knew or not. Responsiblity comes before the knowledge of pregnancy. I didn't say he was irresponsible for leaving a pregnant Lois, I said he was irresponsible for conveiving the child, period. Becoming a parent is a huge responsiblity. The way this plays out is very immature and teenager-ish. It does not portray respobsible adults.

Well this is the fault of Superman II not SR, they slept together in SII not SR so how can you say Superman was out of character in SR for that?

mego joe said:
The problem is that he is only thinking of himself and is not considering Lois's feelings. HE loves her and he can't be truthful to her? That is cowardly. HE cannot face his own hurt so he doesn't end up hurting her? HE knows how she feels. That is why that is out of character.

Exactly, he knows how she feels so he knows what her reaction will be when he tells her he has to leave for several years, just as in SR, she wouldnt understand, and that would just cause more problems.

mego joe said:
The problem here is that the characters are not allowed to actually engage in meanignful discussion to resolve any conflict. NOne of the personal conflicts in this movie can be resolved by longing looks and stares. The characters actually have to talk about the problems.

Superman has just nearly died, TWICE, AND found out he has a son AND is not alone on earth anymore. Do you really think the first thing on his and Lois' mind is a talk?

mego joe said:
He may not know how to act, but he certainly should know that using his x-ray vision to spy on Lois's new life is ethically wrong. He might not know what to do, but he should know what is wrong. Put yourself in his position. Girlfriend moves on, are you going to go peek in at her through the window? That would probably get you arrested if you got caught.

I cant put myself in his position, because i dont have superpowers. Yes it was ethically wrong, but being a peeping tom would be looking through Lois's clothes to see her naked he didnt do that. He listened to a conversation for 30 seconds to see if he still had a place in Lois's life, once he knew he didnt, he flew away.

mego joe said:
So, he doesn't know what to do? Well, I would imagine like everyone else he would turn to his friends and FAMILY for suport. I could see him talking to Jimmy or going back and talking to Ma Kent. I can even see him talking to Lois and just laying it all out and saying, "I don't know what to do?" Of course she so mad at him she proabably wouldn't even want to listen. But it might go some distance in creating closure and redefining their relatinship.

As Superman he doesnt have any friends, and Ma Kent lives miles away and doesnt know Lois, so he cant really talk to her, especially when he knows Lex is on the loose in Metropolis.

mego joe said:
Common sense? You're the guy who has the most reliable information on this criminals propensity for repeat offense. His testimony would be critical at any sort of hearing on Lex Luthor. It's also the responsible thing to do. HE could easily have had a deposiiton taken before he left for Krypton. Again, responsibility.

I'm sure he wasnt the only person who had evidence on Lex, and Clark even mentioned that Superman was pissed off that they let Lex go juse because he wasnt there, he obviously thought they had enough evidence on Lex.

mego joe said:
He was trying to get Lois to feel the same feeling when they flew together the first time, as if to say, "This is why you love ME." He would never lie outright. But it just comes off as if he is trying to subvert the relationship. By getting her to remember her feelings, and (implied) get her to choose him over Richard.

Well yeah i agree here, but as i mentioned before he's never been in love before, and so doesnt know how to react to Lois's anger and frustration towards him. Also, he went there to explain a few things to her, like why he left, and how its not easy being him and that she was wrong to write the article.

mego joe said:
Of course he saved Richard. He's not portrayed as evil in the film, just immature and irresponsible. He's still going to save people, he just doesn't have all his stuff together as a mature adult.

Which is part of his development as a character, becoming a mature adult. and i dont think he was immature in the movie at all. Immature would have been going to save Lois instead of the people in Metropolis, or constantly giving Richard a hard time just because he is going out with Lois. Or when Lois goes to kiss him and stops, immature would have been kissing her anyway instead of stopping himself.

mego joe said:
Such an important part of the movie deserved more screen time and it deserved to be addressed in THIS film, not a sequel. If the kid storyline wasn't so out of character then it wouldn't be so troublesome, but "Paternity Test For Superman" just doesn't fit with the history and wholesome goodness of the character. Therefore, it is hard to make it work w/o a lot of exposition.

Superman wasnt told it was his son until the end of the movie, and after all he had gone through, i doubt any of that **** was on his or Lois's mind, as i said before.

mego joe said:
Unfortunately, all the movies have included things that make me cringe: Turning the world backwards to change history, SUperman depowering to have sex with Lois, Clark being overly bumbling and foolish, the whole 'forbidden to put one earthling above the others' bit, and the God/Christ-like allusions. These place SUperman in a position above the rest of the people on the planet, and he's always supposed to have been one of us as much as he is alien b/c of his human upbringing. His connection to the human race comes from his upbringing and I think the movie portrayal distances him from that. He should have friends, good friends, but the movies don't allow him much friendship outside of work acquaintances that don't really like Clark for who he is, he is just portrayed as a joke. Clark keeps him human and connected to humanity through his frienships and his life as a regular person. In the movies the Clark identity is one dimensional, when it really should be deeper.

Well then how come the Donner movies get a free pass from loads of people in here and SR doesnt when they both have the same problems?

mego joe said:
I believe you have stated elsewhere in this forum that you have never read the comics. I imagine if you read some you would see a very different Superman.

When Donner did his movie, the window dressing was quite different from the comics of the time. I think SR presents a Superman that is very different from the essence of the character.

Superman: Peace on Earth, Man of Steel, Up, Up and Away, SUperman for All Seasons, Superman in the Seventies are different places to start.

I answered this in my post above, but i think its clear we will never agree on these subjects we are debating.

I like when Lois asks for the stapler, and they both reach for it and Clark tries to touch her hand, and then you just see his hand hanging in the air.

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
Well this is the fault of Superman II not SR, they slept together in SII not SR so how can you say Superman was out of character in SR for that?

I have alway loathed that part of SII. But, that message in that film is that it was not the right thing to do, hence the amnesia kiss and his promise to the PResident that he would neve leave again. HE has learned from his mistake. Singer came up with the kid idea implying that there was no sort of contraceptive used. In my mind SInger took the absolute hardest part of SII to digest and based his whole movie around it, as well as ignoring the promise he made to the President which he promptly breaks for SR to take place. I know that SI and SII are supposed to be a vague history for SR and maybe not canon, but Singer does nothing to explain what actually happened and what did not happen to make sense of everything within the context of the characters. In my opinion it is unclear if the SR story includes the depowering before sex or not. Again, in my mind, bad film making. You've got to be clear about the context of Superman and Lois's realationship before he leaves to understand the characters motivations.

Exactly, he knows how she feels so he knows what her reaction will be when he tells her he has to leave for several years, just as in SR, she wouldnt understand, and that would just cause more problems.

Why don't you think Lois would understand? If she really loves him and he really loves her, then honesty is always best, b/c by not telling her what was going on she ends up hating him. How can not telling be better than being truthful and honest about his leaving. He's not psychic, he can't read her mind to know what she will say, he may have an idea, but that's not what he said. He said he didn't tell her because HE did't want to get hurt, not that he did not want to hurt Lois. You don't protect other people by lying or hididng the truth from them, b/c when they find out the truth and that you lied the damage is tenfold.

Superman has just nearly died, TWICE, AND found out he has a son AND is not alone on earth anymore. Do you really think the first thing on his and Lois' mind is a talk?

If I found out I had a kid I didn't know about, then nothing, not even death's door would keep me from finding out about him and talk to the mother.

I cant put myself in his position, because i dont have superpowers. Yes it was ethically wrong, but being a peeping tom would be looking through Lois's clothes to see her naked he didnt do that. He listened to a conversation for 30 seconds to see if he still had a place in Lois's life, once he knew he didnt, he flew away.

Super powers are beside the point. It was ethically wrong. With power comes responsibility.

As Superman he doesnt have any friends, and Ma Kent lives miles away and doesnt know Lois, so he cant really talk to her, especially when he knows Lex is on the loose in Metropolis.

Thank you for pointing out one of the major flaws of the films, Superman is supposed to have friends. HE's not a social leper, he's Superman, everyone wants to be his friend. WHy can't can't he fly home to Smallville for an evening to talk to Ma? He's got time to pound beers with Jimmy? He's got time to investigate the power outage thing? Using super speed to get to home and talk to Ma would have been a great scene, very remeniscent of the comics. He often goes home to get his parents views on problems he faces. IT doesn't matte if Ma knows Lois or not, she can still advise him on how a woman would like to be treated, honestly with respect, etc...

I'm sure he wasnt the only person who had evidence on Lex, and Clark even mentioned that Superman was pissed off that they let Lex go juse because he wasnt there, he obviously thought they had enough evidence on Lex.

While you man be correct about others having evidence on LEx, it seems that SUperman would have the most reliable and credible evidence that could put Lex away for a long, long time.

Well yeah i agree here, but as i mentioned before he's never been in love before, and so doesnt know how to react to Lois's anger and frustration towards him. Also, he went there to explain a few things to her, like why he left, and how its not easy being him and that she was wrong to write the article.

He didn't just fall off the turnip truck, he over 30 years old according to the movies. He's been around and experienced life for a while. He's got to have some common sense when dealing with people and anger. He didn't grow up in a bubble. He recalls his youth and the anger he felt at not being able to use his super powers as Clark. He understands people better than that, he knows anger and frustration.

Which is part of his development as a character, becoming a mature adult. and i dont think he was immature in the movie at all. Immature would have been going to save Lois instead of the people in Metropolis, or constantly giving Richard a hard time just because he is going out with Lois. Or when Lois goes to kiss him and stops, immature would have been kissing her anyway instead of stopping himself.

He may have exhibited maturity in rescuing Richard, but his othe actions as I've stated , especially in his dealing with Lois come off like an immature teenager. His irreseponsible behavior are also sings of immaturity.

Superman wasnt told it was his son until the end of the movie, and after all he had gone through, i doubt any of that **** was on his or Lois's mind, as i said before.

Becoming a parent for the first time has a lot of impact, I think SInger missed the opportunity here to really give such an important event the importance it deserves.

Well then how come the Donner movies get a free pass from loads of people in here and SR doesnt when they both have the same problems?

If you look carefully in these threads there are many points that point out flaws in the DOnner movies. We are not discussing the Donner films in this thread so their inclusion is somewhat out of place. I'm sure if you started a DOnner film thread in the other forum you would get tons of response on what people liked, didn't like and what they felt needed to be changed and done better.

Singer had the opportunity to make ANY Superman movie he wanted. He chose to attach himself to the Donner films. He chose what aspects he wanted to use as inspiration. SR is his baby.

The Donner films, while suffereing from some of the same problems use the controversial issues as smaller aspects of the story, not the main parts of the movie. Additionally, Superman learns something crucial through his mistakes. The SR Superman doesn't seem to learn any lessons, at least not that is shown.

If you eliminate the whole Jason is SUperman's son aspect you've got a movie that fits much better into the SUperman mythos. If you just have him tell Lois why he is leaving, the whole movie becomes better, b/c the story then fits in bette with the SUperman character. You don't need to change who SUperman is to tell this basic story. That is however what Singer felt he needed to do.

I answered this in my post above, but i think its clear we will never agree on these subjects we are debating.

I wold agree, but I enjoy discussing the film and the character. I am also seeking to understand your viewpoint and where it comes from. I think a lot of perceptions about films and charactes come from one's personal definition of responsibilty, maturity and their own personal morality.

BTW, I hope you decide to pick up some comics, the current SUperman and Action arc by Kurt Busiek are both really great.

mego joe said:
I have alway loathed that part of SII. But, that message in that film is that it was not the right thing to do, hence the amnesia kiss and his promise to the PResident that he would neve leave again. HE has learned from his mistake. Singer came up with the kid idea implying that there was no sort of contraceptive used. In my mind SInger took the absolute hardest part of SII to digest and based his whole movie around it, as well as ignoring the promise he made to the President which he promptly breaks for SR to take place. I know that SI and SII are supposed to be a vague history for SR and maybe not canon, but Singer does nothing to explain what actually happened and what did not happen to make sense of everything within the context of the characters. In my opinion it is unclear if the SR story includes the depowering before sex or not. Again, in my mind, bad film making. You've got to be clear about the context of Superman and Lois's realationship before he leaves to understand the characters motivations.

Singer has never been one just 'lay it all out' so to speak, as he likes his audiences to work somethings out for themselves. Which is another aspect of his movies i like. I think the mistake he learned in SII was not sleeping with Lois, but giving up the powers that could save millions of lives for one life. And he gave Lois the amnesia kiss so she wouldnt have to go through the pain of working with him everyday knowing he is the man she loves, this is what she says just before he kisses her.

mego joe said:
Why don't you think Lois would understand? If she really loves him and he really loves her, then honesty is always best, b/c by not telling her what was going on she ends up hating him. How can not telling be better than being truthful and honest about his leaving. He's not psychic, he can't read her mind to know what she will say, he may have an idea, but that's not what he said. He said he didn't tell her because HE did't want to get hurt, not that he did not want to hurt Lois. You don't protect other people by lying or hididng the truth from them, b/c when they find out the truth and that you lied the damage is tenfold.

I dont think Lois would understand just judging from what i know of her character. I dont think she would understand Clark leaving to go to a world which "was destroyed, ages ago"(Lois's words in the movie) and leaving her for 5 years to do so

mego joe said:
If I found out I had a kid I didn't know about, then nothing, not even death's door would keep me from finding out about him and talk to the mother.

Maybe YOU would because your not the only one of your kind on this planet. Superman is and he is naturally overjoyed to find someone else like him on earth. And the first thing i would do if i found out i had a child is go an see both IT and its mother. But again i'm not the only one of my kind on earth or in the universe for that matter (so far as we know in the movies).

mego joe said:
Super powers are beside the point. It was ethically wrong. With power comes responsibility.

No powers are not, because he has the means to do what he did, but while i agree with power comes responsibility and it may be wrong to us, we havent been on a trip for 5 years were we couldnt even contact our loved ones by any means.

So in the context of the movie, i honestly had no problem with it.

mego joe said:
Thank you for pointing out one of the major flaws of the films, Superman is supposed to have friends. HE's not a social leper, he's Superman, everyone wants to be his friend. WHy can't can't he fly home to Smallville for an evening to talk to Ma? He's got time to pound beers with Jimmy? He's got time to investigate the power outage thing? Using super speed to get to home and talk to Ma would have been a great scene, very remeniscent of the comics. He often goes home to get his parents views on problems he faces. IT doesn't matte if Ma knows Lois or not, she can still advise him on how a woman would like to be treated, honestly with respect, etc...

Well he's never really done any of those things in his various T.V and movie incarnations.

mego joe said:
While you man be correct about others having evidence on LEx, it seems that SUperman would have the most reliable and credible evidence that could put Lex away for a long, long time.

Maybe he did, but it wasnt a priority over finding Krypton survivors, for all Ka-El knew, his father was still alive on the ruins of Krypton.

mego joe said:
He didn't just fall off the turnip truck, he over 30 years old according to the movies. He's been around and experienced life for a while. He's got to have some common sense when dealing with people and anger. He didn't grow up in a bubble. He recalls his youth and the anger he felt at not being able to use his super powers as Clark. He understands people better than that, he knows anger and frustration.

Clark has lived a very secluded life as he cannot reveal his abilities to too many people, hence the reason he never fell in love until he met Lois, and hence the reason he doesnt know what to do when she is angered with him.

Thats all i have time to answer now.

mego joe said:
He may have exhibited maturity in rescuing Richard, but his othe actions as I've stated , especially in his dealing with Lois come off like an immature teenager. His irreseponsible behavior are also sings of immaturity.

Well i didnt see anything he did as immature, i saw it as him being lonely and depressed, so he is doing everything he can to make himself feel better, i.e the first thing he does once he hears at Lois' house that she doesnt love him is hover over the earth listening out for anyone who needs help. He momentarily forgets about Lois and gets back to the business of saving lives.

mego joe said:
Becoming a parent for the first time has a lot of impact, I think SInger missed the opportunity here to really give such an important event the importance it deserves.

I think Singer did give it the importance it deserves, Superman was not alone anymore and he overjoyously gave Jason the same speech HIS father gave him when he was a child, saying that he will always be with him. He also came to an understanding with Lois finally.

mego joe said:
If you look carefully in these threads there are many points that point out flaws in the DOnner movies. We are not discussing the Donner films in this thread so their inclusion is somewhat out of place. I'm sure if you started a DOnner film thread in the other forum you would get tons of response on what people liked, didn't like and what they felt needed to be changed and done better.

Well then how come the Donner movies are put on a pedestal and SR isnt by many in here?

mego joe said:
Singer had the opportunity to make ANY Superman movie he wanted. He chose to attach himself to the Donner films. He chose what aspects he wanted to use as inspiration. SR is his baby.

But if he didnt attach it to the Donner,Reeve movies, an equal amount of people would be moaning about that fact and we all know it.

mego joe said:
The Donner films, while suffereing from some of the same problems use the controversial issues as smaller aspects of the story, not the main parts of the movie. Additionally, Superman learns something crucial through his mistakes. The SR Superman doesn't seem to learn any lessons, at least not that is shown.

I think he learned plenty in this movie, he learned that no matter what he does to help humaity, they will always expect more from him, yet at the same time they love him. He learned to never leave without saying goodbye again, he learned that sometimes he may have to sacrifice his own life to save millions of human ones, and he learned that Krypton is truely, finally dead.

mego joe said:
If you eliminate the whole Jason is SUperman's son aspect you've got a movie that fits much better into the SUperman mythos. If you just have him tell Lois why he is leaving, the whole movie becomes better, b/c the story then fits in bette with the SUperman character. You don't need to change who SUperman is to tell this basic story. That is however what Singer felt he needed to do.

But then we would have got a movie devoid of any surprises or plot twists, and we wouldnt know anything about were a potential sequel might go.

mego joe said:
I wold agree, but I enjoy discussing the film and the character. I am also seeking to understand your viewpoint and where it comes from. I think a lot of perceptions about films and charactes come from one's personal definition of responsibilty, maturity and their own personal morality.

Well, what i let people get away with in movies i wouldnt necessarily let them get away with in real life as they are different worlds, the movies are often a sugercoated or overexagerated version of our world, so they cant be compared IMO. For example, i wouldnt necessarily agree with a vigilante like The Punisher knocking off supposed mob guys left and right.

mego joe said:
BTW, I hope you decide to pick up some comics, the current SUperman and Action arc by Kurt Busiek are both really great.

I may do, SR has got me interested in reading Superman comics.

The parts i mentioned in the first post on this thread i find i enjoy more than ever watching the movie now. It really is little parts like this that make the movie for me.

Watching it again today i found it as exhilarating and enjoyable as ever, a great Superman movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"