He'll Cancel the Pizzas: The Alfred Pennyworth Thread

I still say Mark Rylance

Pierce Brosnan; use Earth One as a prototype (ex-military security detail for Thomas Wayne).

Introduce Leslie Thompkins in these new films to take the caretaker role

No thanks. They already did that with Irons in BvS and JL and I really want to be rid of that interpretation in as many ways as possible. The Nolan approach was as far as they should go into the bodyguard, former SAS interpretation. It's the best of both worlds. Alfred as a traditional caretaker, butler-type, but with hints that he had seen more of the world and had other skills.

Pierce would be ideal but I'm still really pulling for Richard E. Grant. Been a fan of his since Warlock and Hudson Hawk. He could combine the best aspects of Napier, Gough, Cain and Irons and still bring something fresh to the table as well.

Ralph Fiennes or Richard E. Grant. I know the former's cheating since he was LEGO Alfred already, but him in his Grand Budapest Hotel look as Alfred just sounds too damn perfect

Get Hugh Bonneville. Reversal of roles, see how he likes it.
da-s5-characters-robert-hires-1440x810.jpg

I really like the Ralph Fiennes suggestion. Rowan Atkinson would be crazy but intriguing, just like Pattinson was. Jared Harris, nice one too. The Alfred role is usually on the restrained side, so I don't know if Hugh Laurie would fit all that well. Same reason I don't suggest Peter Capaldi.

Totally down for Pierce Brosnan or Ralph Fiennes as Alfred.

No thanks. They already did that with Irons in BvS and JL and I really want to be rid of that interpretation in as many ways as possible. The Nolan approach was as far as they should go into the bodyguard, former SAS interpretation. It's the best of both worlds. Alfred as a traditional caretaker, butler-type, but with hints that he had seen more of the world and had other skills.

See, I think we should be distancing ourselves from the Nolan-approach. It's great, of course, but audiences have seen it. Irons wasn't a large presence in that way that Caine was, so I still think there'd be an opportunity there for a new Alfred to play in that Earth-One playground. Plus, if he's more legal guardian/bat-accomplice than butler, Reeves could use the opportunity to bring in Leslie Thompkins as Bruce's surrogate mother--something that previous films have never adapted.

Totally down for Pierce Brosnan or Ralph Fiennes as Alfred.

Fiennes would be great, but I'm really holding out for Brosnan. Bond in the Batcave?!

Not only would be Pierce Brosnan be a great ally and conceivably be able to hold his own (think classic Alfred imagery with him staring down an Batcave invader with a shotgun in hand), but he'd be suave enough to teach Bruce how to blend with his high society friends.

Plus, if he's more legal guardian/bat-accomplice than butler, Reeves could use the opportunity to bring in Leslie Thompkins as Bruce's surrogate mother--something that previous films have never adapted.

I love that idea!

I'm not really digging the military style Alfred suggestions anymore. This film needs to have some levity. I feel Brosnan would have too much of screen presence as well.

Richard Grant is perfect.

Richard Jenkins if he can do an English accent could be a great choice.

Charles Dance for Alfred or bust!

I still rank Richard E. Grant as my absolute favorite for Alfred, but I certainly wouldn't complain if we got Charles Dance as Alfred. Not just for the Tywin memes, but because Dance can genuinely play an endearing, supportive character- just look at his character in Alien 3. He's even got some nice Alfred-esque quips in that film too, now that I think about it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"