Justice League Henry Cavill IS Clark Kent/Superman - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

Lex released a giant alien monster on the populace. From a story perspective there's no need for some convoluted bullet subplot to put him in jail when that's your ending.

Lex released a giant alien monster on the populace. From a story perspective there's no need for some convoluted bullet subplot to put him in jail when that's your ending.

Yes you’ve nailed partly what I was trying to say. It’s that ultimately it just isn’t necessary.

Ok let me rephrase as it’s written she’s written it’s important to to the discovery of Lex’s plot but the way it was written and ultimately came out was generic and unibteresting. You literally could replace that entire arc with something more streamlined and it would be far more interesting. What’s I’m getting at is you can and should ultimately give Lois something to do but make sure it’s something that no one else could have done. By the time Superman fights Batman he already knows they’ve been duped by Lex so it was pretty unnecessary in the grand scheme.
I get what you are saying but by that aspect you could then go on and replace most of Lois's, MJ's, Alfred's, and a few other stories in both the comics, TV shows, Cartoons, and movies.

The silver bullet was used as a way to say Lex's was behind this from the start and a way to convict him and put him in jail not just for Doomsday. Had you just went with Doomsday you could have had Lex get off scott free by saying his mind was being warped. The silver bullet was for all his other crimes which is why he went to jail for them and not the other.

Some good discussion going on in here

However, The one thing that continues to drive me up a wall is this trend where some of us treat opinions we don’t like/disagree with as wrong. Think about that. Telling someone they are wrong for having certain ideas based on subjective work. They aren’t facts. They never were to begin with. Leading off with that kind of response does not promote conversation. The only thing it does is make others not want to engage, and actively avoid.

It’s beyond exhausting.

I get what you are saying but by that aspect you could then go on and replace most of Lois's, MJ's, Alfred's, and a few other stories in both the comics, TV shows, Cartoons, and movies.

It’s different in a 2 hour plus movie though because you get less time with these characters than you would in a running TV series or a comic. That’s why I hold films to a higher standard because the time should be used better. I’m not saying you’re wrong and I’m right btw all I can do is give you reasons why that arc didn’t work for me and why I ultimately felt it was a waste of time that could have been used more wisely.

Superman knows they've been tricked, but he also knew that he wasn't responsible for the massacre in the desert or the Capitol bombing, the issue was that no one else knew, humanity was turning against Superman and didn't trust his word.

What word? He doesn't attempt to clear things up.

BVS is one of Lois' least damsel-ly stories. Because of what came before in MOS and BVS, her role in JL is one of the most disappointing aspects of the film.

I wouldn't agree w this either. For all her elaborate role in uncovering the bullet plot, her interaction with the film's villain comes down to exactly two lines ("I've proven what you've done"; "You're psychotic!") before being pushed off a building and needing to be saved in what is one of three times throughout the film. By the end, Lex's trail of crimes is so big that his downfall can't be seen as 100% her doing, which makes the use that the film gives her character rightly questionable.

Someone once summed up the entire bullet subplot as a long, meandering diversion meant to reveal the shocking, unexpected twist that Lex Luthor was the bad guy in a Superman movie.

Someone once summed up the entire bullet subplot as a long, meandering diversion meant to reveal the shocking, unexpected twist that Lex Luthor was the bad guy in a Superman movie.

It was long like we did we need three scenes of Lois meeting Swanwick about it. Still pisses me off that Snyder Cut Superman’s stuff in the theatrical cut but we needed those three scenes. Really?

It was long like we did we need three scenes of Lois meeting Swanwick about it. Still pisses me off that Snyder Cut Superman’s stuff in the theatrical cut but we needed those three scenes. Really?
Superman's scenes were cut because time and the WB wanted to make this more of a Batman movie after seeing the crowds reaction.

Superman's scenes were cut because time and the WB wanted to make this more of a Batman movie after seeing the crowds reaction.

I know why it was edited down but it still backs up my point that we didn’t need three scenes with Lois and Swanwick though. They could have edited those down to two or even one.

The bullet sub-plot was to show the influence Lex Luthor had on various departments of the administration and how he used that power to do illegal things on an international scale.

The bullet sub-plot was to show the influence Lex Luthor had on various departments of the administration and how he used that power to do illegal things on an international scale.

And I don't think that was necessary or anything that couldn't have been gotten across without that whole plotline.

And I don't think that was necessary or anything that couldn't have been gotten across without that whole plotline.
It was part of developing Lex's character arc, I think they were going to have Snyder's 5 movie plan when the story was written.

What’s I’m getting at is you can and should ultimately give Lois something to do but make sure it’s something that no one else could have done. By the time Superman fights Batman he already knows they’ve been duped by Lex so it was pretty unnecessary in the grand scheme.

This is so reductive. Storytelling isn't just about plot. It's about themes, symbolism, foils, etc. Lois does a lot more than the bullet plot in BvS. She's a foil for Lex, Bruce, Superman, and Keefe. Lois, like those other character, was also powerless to do anything in Nairomi; she investigates the bullet to regain her power. Throughout the film, Lois represents how to cope with powerlessness, guilt, and doubt in positive ways. She uses truth to regain her power. In doing so, we see Lois is on Luthor's trail and as the means to expose how he masterminded a plot to use actors, victims, vigilantes, and criminals to poison humanity against Superman. Lois also is one of the few characters whose hope remains steadfast, and it's not just because she's a good person. Lois is hopeful because she believes in Superman.

With regards to the value of the bullet subplot if it only reveals Lex Luthor is the villain and doesn't provide Superman with any important actionable information, that's really not the point. Plenty of stories have characters discover information already known to the audience. It's dramatic irony, and it works two ways in BvS. Since dramatic irony is a device that occurs when the audience is aware of something that the characters in the story are not aware of, then both Lois and Lex are used for dramatic irony. As the audience, we know what Lex has done and know what Lois is uncovering in her investigation, but neither Lex nor Lois knows what the other knows. At the same time, as the audience, we don't know the full extent of how Luthor pulled off his plan, so Lois' investigation fills in the missing pieces. One of the big missing pieces is the role of the government, which Lois discovers via Swanwick. We learn why the government is putting Superman on trial rather than fessing up to its actions in Nairomi. It's about showing how the frame up was done, who it implicates, and how it can be proven.

Lex Luthor used the levers of power to create chaos, foment fear, and orchestrate multiple terrorist attacks. There is never going to be a way for super powers or fists to fix that problem. The "grand scheme" is not to stop the fight between Batman and Superman. The "grand scheme" is truth and justice. You don't get those things at the end of a fist. You get those things through the free press and due process. It's not just about filling the superheroes in on the villain's plans. It's about setting the groundwork for how the entire world will be able to see the truth about what happened. The recent season of Daredevil illustrates this to some extent both in terms of the dramatic irony and in terms of how the law and the media are utilized.

However, The one thing that continues to drive me up a wall is this trend where some of us treat opinions we don’t like/disagree with as wrong. Think about that. Telling someone they are wrong for having certain ideas based on subjective work. They aren’t facts. They never were to begin with. Leading off with that kind of response does not promote conversation. The only thing it does is make others not want to engage, and actively avoid.

Films are a form of art, but that doesn't mean everything about them is up for subjective interpretation. Sometimes words and ideas have defined meanings (e.g. damsel in distress). It is possible, then, if one claims an element of a film conforms to an established definition to disprove that assertion. Lois Lane isn't just a damsel in distress in BvS is a factual statement.

Yeah, the bullet plot is not there to reveal Luthor is the bad guy in the film. It's there to show not only the example of a positive way to cope with one's powerlessness, but also how to prove to the world that Luthor was the bad guy.

I know why it was edited down but it still backs up my point that we didn’t need three scenes with Lois and Swanwick though. They could have edited those down to two or even one.

I disagree. The scenes with Swanwick have to be spaced out the way they are to realistically depict how difficult it is to get the evidence required to make a case against Luthor but also understand how his mind works. Swanwick isn't going to be convinced to give Lois everything just because she asked. We know he's not a firm ally of Superman due to his last conversation with him in MoS (i.e. the drone scene); he's also protecting himself and his job because what happened in Nairomi happened as a result of a botched CIA mission. Other events in the story have to play out before Swanwick is willing to help Lois and he has enough information to give her to make his help worthwhile. One of the overarching themes in the film is what do you do when it seems like no matter how hard you try to do good, it ends up feeling like you're just pulling up weeds. You save one farm from flooding only to discover your efforts damage a farm down the road. Lois can't get everything she wants from Swanwick right away. It has to be difficult, so you understand what it takes to keep going.

Last edited:
I think it is a goddamn luxury to have an actress like Amy Adams as part of your roster. If by some miracle we do see the bald Cavill return in long form, I would still be ok with a recast of her tho. Keep Lois at the workplace and when the world ending events happen, she can stay back and not be right there. But she is a reporter! Yeah, Superman can carry her away and just tell her to stay put. It ain't the actress fault the way her character is written and such, but goddamn. BvS scene with Superman about to pimp punch doomsday, but he gotta stop to save a drowning Lois, so goddamn annoying. I don't know, it just kinda feels they gotta get Lois more involved in the plot cause she is being played by Amy Adams and you gotta give her something to do. Eh.

Just a small tidbit: To me, it's also showing how he was using the various subplots (desert/capitol hill explosion) to sway government (committee)/public opinion which ties into the emotional toll on Superman. So at the end of the movie, when the truth is revealed in the article, that helps in re-shaping the public opinion on Superman (alongside him sacrificing himself to stop a worldly threat).

I think it is a goddamn luxury to have an actress like Amy Adams as part of your roster. If by some miracle we do see the bald Cavill return in long form, I would still be ok with a recast of her tho. Keep Lois at the workplace and when the world ending events happen, she can stay back and not be right there. But she is a reporter! Yeah, Superman can carry her away and just tell her to stay put. It ain't the actress fault the way her character is written and such, but goddamn. BvS scene with Superman about to pimp punch doomsday, but he gotta stop to save a drowning Lois, so goddamn annoying. I don't know, it just kinda feels they gotta get Lois more involved in the plot cause she is being played by Amy Adams and you gotta give her something to do. Eh.

That's pretty much exactly what it felt like. Reminds me of how they keep having to crowbar Jennifer Lawrence into the X-Men sequels.

Punching Doomsday is ineffective. Literally any violence just makes him stronger. The only thing that could stop Doomsday, which Lois and Bruce figured out simultaneously, was the kryptonite in the spear. Saving Lois got Superman closer to stopping Doomsday than any punch would have. Lois is involved in the story in this way, and involved in most Superman stories this way, because it isn't about whether or not she can make a huge difference. It's about showing that humanity doesn't give up or relinquish its role in saving themselves. We're still part of the story, part of the solution. Sometimes we can even keep our eyes on things that matter; things that our heroes might forget.

Punching Doomsday is ineffective. Literally any violence just makes him stronger. The only thing that could stop Doomsday, which Lois and Bruce figured out simultaneously, was the kryptonite in the spear. Saving Lois got Superman closer to stopping Doomsday than any punch would have.

Then you write a better scene of more dialogue and team work between them heroes. WW and Superman keep Doomsday even more busy while Batman gets the goddamn kryptonite etc. Or even after Superman gets the spear, they could find another way of team work to kill the rocky bastah. It came down to the writing cause it HAD to end with Superman dying and that was a mistake. Lois Lane is a goddamn burden in a team up movie. Pepper Potts stays the hell away in them Avengers movies, it should be the same for Lois with big world events. She can perhaps take an uber next time and be right there. lol

When Lois was trapped underwater and had to be saved a third time, my daughter leaned over to me and said "I am beginning to hate Lois Lane." Lol

I didn't hate the DCEU, but it's attempts at drama and complex themes are so doggone laughable

Then you write a better scene of more dialogue and team work between them heroes. WW and Superman keep Doomsday even more busy while Batman gets the goddamn kryptonite etc. Or even after Superman gets the spear, they could find another way of team work to kill the rocky bastah. It came down to the writing cause it HAD to end with Superman dying and that was a mistake. Lois Lane is a goddamn burden in a team up movie. Pepper Potts stays the hell away in them Avengers movies, it should be the same for Lois with big world events. She can perhaps take an uber next time and be right there. lol

Batman couldn't find the kryptonite because Lois was the one who hid it in a place where he wouldn't be able to find it easily. Why have Lois hide the kryptonite? Because she wouldn't want a man she doesn't fully trust to have it. Why have Lois there at all? Because she cares about Superman and would do anything to help him. She had to be there because without her Bruce would never have stopped trying to kill Superman. Lois put herself in harm's way just like his mother -- just like Martha. Bruce had to see the monster he had become and wouldn't have done so without literal humanity staring him in the face.

Stay at home wife Lois Lane. That sounds great to me. She can still get all the exclusive story when her husband tells her everything. The end.

As expected on cue the same person bites everytime a person criticises Lois Lane or her role in the latest movies. Fact for me is the BvS subplot was long drawn out and ultimately unnecessary.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"