BvS Henry Cavill IS Superman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 26

There you go, that's his motivation. Don't ask why he needs motivation though. All characters do.

My problem has to do with the fact that his earth parents never taught him to save or help other people (quite the opposite). So why does he want to save people if he's constantly told not to. Instinct? Rebellious attitude? Another inspiration? They should have delved into that more in MoS.

Last edited:
Pa Kent himself dies saving lives.. so, why do you think he is against Clark helping save other people ?

There you go, that's his motivation. Don't ask why he needs motivation though. All characters do.

I think I just didn't word it properly when I replied to the original post.

Haven't seen these before today, Cavill is a terrific Clark Kent 👌🏼

tumblr_o9tsmc0xk61rei3gfo2_250.png

tumblr_o9tsmc0xk61rei3gfo1_250.png

tumblr_o9tsmc0xk61rei3gfo5_250.png

(source: amancanfly.tumblr.com)

Pa Kent himself dies saving lives.. so, why do you think he is against Clark helping save other people ?
He tells him all movie not to. Turn the other cheek, maybe let them drown, don't save my life.

Then there's Ma Kent who in the sequel is all like yeah Clark, you don't owe these people a damn thing...you never did! Lol so where is he getting all this inspiration and motivation to save lives from? The most overprotective, selfish parents found this baby alien and taught him all the wrong things. Thank god for Jor-El.

When Jonathan is saying the 'controversial' 'maybe', after young Clark says ' so, I should let them all die ?', my reading was that he was saying, no matter what you do, no matter how hard you try, you are never going to be able to save every human being at once in this world, i.e. you can't be in every place in the world at the same moment, and in order to save these people, firstly, you have to save yourself, in order to show yourself to the world, that will be your saving yourself, but that time hasn't come. Jonathan's death triggered that as the motivation, he couldn't save him for fear of showing the world, his destiny is with Jor-El's heritage with Kent's ideals.

Jonathan knew by him NOT saving him, Clark would save himself, the sacrifice is for the world not Jonathan's.

He tells him all movie not to. Turn the other cheek, maybe let them drown, don't save my life.

Then there's Ma Kent who in the sequel is all like yeah Clark, you don't owe these people a damn thing...you never did! Lol so where is he getting all this inspiration and motivation to save lives from? The most overprotective, selfish parents found this baby alien and taught him all the wrong things. Thank god for Jor-El.

It's his freaking choice! I can't stand when people want him to feel obligated to help the world instead of making the decision to do it because he wants to. His father never said not to help people just to keep the alien part of him a secret. As has been stated JK died saving a dog! He clearly was not against helping people in need. I don't need my Superman to be told by his parents to be a hero.

When Jonathan is saying the 'controversial' 'maybe', after young Clark says ' so, I should let them all die ?', my reading was that he was saying, no matter what you do, no matter how hard you try, you are never going to be able to save every human being at once in this world, i.e. you can't be in every place in the world at the same moment

That doesn't make sense. Clark asked should he just let them all die, which obviously means letting people die whom he can save. Not save every single person in the world 24/7. Otherwise Pa Kent would have said what you said, that he can't be there to save everyone in the world all the time. That Clark is putting too much expectation on himself. He would never answer a question that asks should he let people die with a simple maybe. He would clarify what he meant so Clark doesn't get the impression he's saying it's ok to just let people die.

Last edited:
It's his freaking choice! I can't stand when people want him to feel obligated to help the world instead of making the decision to do it because he wants to. His father never said not to help people just to keep the alien part of him a secret. As has been stated JK died saving a dog! He clearly was not against helping people in need. I don't need my Superman to be told by his parents to be a hero.
But we never see why he makes that choice. His parents do not have to force him to save people, he ends up making his own choice. But if he grows up only having his earth parents on his side, the only people to look to and love since everyone else is bullying him and treating him and others like crap...then we should see his parents teaching him good values as he grows up. We never see that. It's only hide who you are, wait until you're an adult to do the right thing, don't save those kids, don't stand up for yourself when somebody is picking on you, don't save my life (even though you could have easily grabbed the dog and zipped through the field or better yet grabbed his dad and taken him into the field without ANYONE else seeing it). He is told as a child that his parents love him but that's it. The script and character was not well developed at all. It was rushed and they were relying on Supermans pop culture history to guide the audience. Basically one giant "ah they know Superman is good and saves people so we don't need to get into that".

That's a mistake and the reason why the vast majority don't feel connected to this version. If you're going to reboot, wipe the slate clean, you have to introduce a character as if the audience had NEVER heard of Clark Kent before. Start from the ground up and show us why he is a good person. Why HE wants to save other human beings even when they're being bastards. They gloss over it. It's the same thing with Batman in this universe "ah they know who he is, he was once a hero". This creates an immediate disconnect.

Clark has no reason to save people and act selflessly.

The characters don't have clear motivations and when the odd one does, it's flimsy.

Clark's parents did not teach him not to act to save and help people, JK reasoning for the children comment is to not use his powers in public without thinking and that letting the world know how different he is is dangerous which MOS and BvS showed was true. Martha and JK did take him in as a baby and helped and protected him when he needed it; JK was shown to help people when the tornado appeared and he died saving a dog. His parents are clearly people who value helping others even if they don't directly say "hey son you have the strength of a hundred men go out and save the world." Like their son, the Kent's live by actions not words. And I feel that Clark coming into his own ideals with only some help from his parents shows that his over-all goodness comes from him and nobody else. He doesn't hesitate to save the boy who bullies him because he knows it's the right thing to do; the same with what happens to him as an adult. In MOS one of those men in the helicopters shot him but when it came to saving one of them from dying he did. And in BvS the whole world seems to be hating him but while they are he is still saving people.
I feel his parents did give him the foundation of doing what's right while also teaching him that they don't always know what that is. People harp on Martha for saying Clark doesn't owe the world anything but the statement is true! He doesn't owe anybody in the movieverse a thing, he doesn't owe the government answers; but he makes the choice himself to be their savior and to show up at the capital.

My problem has to do with the fact that his earth parents never taught him to save or help other people (quite the opposite). So why does he want to save people if he's constantly told not to. Instinct? Rebellious attitude? Another inspiration? They should have delved into that more in MoS.
how???

so you just want to listen to clark kent saying explicitly that he loves saving. he feels good when he can save???

without him spelling it out loud, you, as well as the audience can't understand it.

no wonder Deadpool was such a great hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"