BvS Henry Cavill IS Superman - - - - - - - - - - - Part 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even as a BvS defender, I have to say I was somewhat disappointed by the portrayal of Superman in this movie. As was the case in MoS, there are a lot of nice little moments, and Cavill does his best with them. But the problem is that he is never given enough to work with. It's been said before that Snyder is more interested in Superman as a symbol than he is as a character. In BvS that becomes a real problem, because a significant character death means much less to the audience when we've never gotten a chance to truly know that character.

Maybe Snyder prefers his Superman as the strong, silent type. But I'm not sure why we've had a trend for three movies now where the actor playing Superman - be it Brandon Routh or Henry Cavill - is given minimal dialogue. More often than not, they have to act physically, largely through their facial expressions. What gives? :huh:

My own theory is that the sheer iconic status of Superman is intimidating to these screenwriters. More than any other superhero, people have a very specific idea of how Superman should act and behave. Instead of taking on that challenge and making the character their own, it seems screenwriters prefer to duck the challenge by barely giving the character any dialogue or personality at all. And that's a shame not only for the audience, but for the actors.

Cavill is a good actor and you can see in interviews that he has plenty of charisma. Within the DCEU, however, he's just not allowed to use it. When I saw clips from Senator Finch's hearing in the trailers, I got really excited thinking Superman would give a great Mr. Smith Goes To Washington-style speech defending himself, his actions, and his ideals of truth and justice. Then I saw how it turned out in the movie. :cmad: I should have known. What a missed opportunity.

They keep making the mistake as approaching Superman as a God. I assume it's tough writing dialogue for God. That's why they should focus on the man. You can write plenty of good dialogue for Superman.

Cavill is a good actor and you can see in interviews that he has plenty of charisma. Within the DCEU, however, he's just not allowed to use it.

I see this reasoning being used a lot, but it takes a different skill set to act in front of a camera during multiple takes and do a scene, than it takes to do interviews. Politicians can do charismatic interviews but many of them would be terrible Hollywood actors.

Snyder gets a lot of blame, but I don't think Snyder was to blame for Cavill's wooden acting. Many of those lines had iffy deliveries, especially his Daily Planet scenes as Clark.

I personally only had one problem with his delivery when he was saying Martha. Otherwise I cart think of a moment where he was supposed to convey emotion and came across as wooden. Even the whole superman was never real line that I absolutely loathe I accepted it because of Henry.

A couple glaring examples I noticed were all the DP scenes as Clark where Cavill used the same monotone delivery for his lines.

The line that no one stays good forever. I laughed a bit at that one because of how badly it was delivered. There were others but it wasn't anything surprising. Cavill had these same problems in Man Of Steel.

This review is kind of funny:
https://youtu.be/ln1514-WXs8?t=1073

Even as a BvS defender, I have to say I was somewhat disappointed by the portrayal of Superman in this movie. As was the case in MoS, there are a lot of nice little moments, and Cavill does his best with them. But the problem is that he is never given enough to work with. It's been said before that Snyder is more interested in Superman as a symbol than he is as a character. In BvS that becomes a real problem, because a significant character death means much less to the audience when we've never gotten a chance to truly know that character.

Maybe Snyder prefers his Superman as the strong, silent type. But I'm not sure why we've had a trend for three movies now where the actor playing Superman - be it Brandon Routh or Henry Cavill - is given minimal dialogue. More often than not, they have to act physically, largely through their facial expressions. What gives? :huh:

My own theory is that the sheer iconic status of Superman is intimidating to these screenwriters. More than any other superhero, people have a very specific idea of how Superman should act and behave. Instead of taking on that challenge and making the character their own, it seems screenwriters prefer to duck the challenge by barely giving the character any dialogue or personality at all. And that's a shame not only for the audience, but for the actors.

Cavill is a good actor and you can see in interviews that he has plenty of charisma. Within the DCEU, however, he's just not allowed to use it. When I saw clips from Senator Finch's hearing in the trailers, I got really excited thinking Superman would give a great Mr. Smith Goes To Washington-style speech defending himself, his actions, and his ideals of truth and justice. Then I saw how it turned out in the movie. :cmad: I should have known. What a missed opportunity.

This is exactly how I feel about it as well.

Remember this stuff?

pga028w.gif

35k3hFl.gif

SrvKd37.gif

1k0rRxB.gif

uN4Qpi6.gif

We could see bits of confidence and charm befitting a more classical portrayal coming through with MOS's fledgling superman. This was nowhere to be found in BvS.

They keep making the mistake as approaching Superman as a God. I assume it's tough writing dialogue for God. That's why they should focus on the man. You can write plenty of good dialogue for Superman.

Indeed. The the perception of superman as a god should come from the public in the chosen universe only; when writers think of him as a god, they don't know how to deal with him.

I personally only had one problem with his delivery when he was saying Martha. Otherwise I cart think of a moment where he was supposed to convey emotion and came across as wooden. Even the whole superman was never real line that I absolutely loathe I accepted it because of Henry.

Yeah, his delivery of that superman line almost made me want to accept it too. Almost, lol.

I guess. But I want to know why Snyder did it other than it looked awesome.

Aside from showing there's still some kind of life force there...metaphor. He's "about to take flight" again.

Honestly, if they throw a few scenes in with Superman, even as clark the reporter, making a difference, being a good guy, that charisma showing through, it'll go a long way.

Remember this stuff?
pga028w.gif

35k3hFl.gif

SrvKd37.gif

1k0rRxB.gif

uN4Qpi6.gif

We could see bits of confidence and charm befitting a more classical portrayal coming through with MOS's fledgling superman. This was nowhere to be found in BvS.

Man alive I love Man of Steel.

It's funny, because people complained he was too dark in MOS for a long time.

I felt he was much more rounded in MOS as a full character, and don't think they went too far dark. I think BvS screwed up royally the moment he said he'd kill Batman if not getting help, since Lex ordered him too.... and told Lois "No one stays good in this world." :dry:

I felt he was much more rounded in MOS as a full character, and don't think they went too far dark. I think BvS screwed up royally the moment he said he'd kill Batman if not getting help, since Lex ordered him too.... and told Lois "No one stays good in this world." :dry:

One of many...many terrible lines. :loco:
Cavill wasn't even acting in that scene, he was just disgusted with the dialogue he had to say.

One of many...many terrible lines. :loco:
Cavill wasn't even acting in that scene, he was just disgusted with the dialogue he had to say.
I do feel he may have been cringing internally a bit when saying that lol.

He looked like he was gonna throw up. :o

I feel same about when Bruce & Clark meet eachother. It looked as fake as Kimmell parody to me.

Whole scene is dead then Lex comes up and make it worse.

Remember this stuff?

1k0rRxB.gif

This scene was so good but short unfortunately. Superman is best when he is confident and clear minded.

I feel same about when Bruce & Clark meet eachother. It looked as fake as Kimmell parody to me.

Lex just didn't work. They intended people to see him as psychotic and edgy, but he was just goofy and quirky. Hope they transition him more serious.

The start was great for me, when Bruce says, "Pretty girl, bad habbit, don't quote me" and Clark gave that smirk. I loved that! They were real people

Lex just didn't work. They intended people to see him as psychotic and edgy, but he was just goofy and quirky. Hope they transition him more serious.

Just say he is changed in prison like Max Cady... or just hire some other actor else and make him Lex Sr., forget Lex Jr. in prison for rest of his life.

Even Marvel took a stepback and recognized Mandarin in Iron Man 3 was a mistake.

My hope is lex gets killed in prison, and Lex Sr comes back to rule. Hey a guy can dream.

Also in this dream there's a photographer named Jimmy working at the planet. What's his last name? Who knows, but the kids a ginger.

Remember this stuff?

pga028w.gif

35k3hFl.gif

SrvKd37.gif

1k0rRxB.gif

uN4Qpi6.gif

Honestly, after BVS, I'm finding even less sense in a lot of the criticisms I saw directed at MOS. "Ohh, it's so joyless!" Uhhh... did you watch the Flight scene? That's joy, motherf***er. Now, BVS Supes... yeah, that f***er was definitely devoid of joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"