BvS Henry Cavill IS Superman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 26

Lol um based on what? Immortals or Man from Uncle? A good actor fan take bad lines, and make it work. It's all in the delivery usually anyway. Thus why he isn't nor should be considered a good actor. It's also why he's very clearly hidden in both Superman films.

lol um based on having seen him act in other things. Why would they cast an actor in the lead part only to attempt to hide him? I know they're not particularly smart but I don't think they're that stupid

Lol um based on what? Immortals or Man from Uncle? A good actor fan take bad lines, and make it work. It's all in the delivery usually anyway. Thus why he isn't nor should be considered a good actor. It's also why he's very clearly hidden in both Superman films.

I agree with Tony Gunk. It makes no sense to cast and actor and then hide him. It's more likely that they don't know how to write superman. If they hide anything, it's superman himself. Snyder/Terrio used him as a concept, not as a character.

He was great in The Tudors, his early movies, UNCLE, he made the best of immortals, and I liked him in MOS, even though Superman needed more attention there too.

I thought he was quite charming in this scene (not to mention, he's saying things superman would actually say):

OmEoksX.gif

Before BvS came out, I was hoping we'd see more of this superman. The confident and friendly one, with an easy charm. Instead we went backwards with a superman that was a meek sad sack who said the oddest things.

I never thought I'd say this, but...Goyer wrote a better supes than Terrio (with hints of Goyer left over?).

By the time they get a good Superman script, Cavill will probably be 40 :/

PS. I'm okay with a 40 year old Superman :)

Henry is a good actor. BvS is a dark film and most of the mood is set in Gotham and around Batman/Lex's point of view. Superman is caught up in this dark world and it's leaving a toll on him.

I read a lot of the source material, and Cavill has Superman down pat. Supes isn't a wordy character, especially in action. He's always even keeled and held back. MoS and BvS wasn't meant to be your classic Superman story and I happen to fall in the category of wanting to tap into this side of the character because we've had countless representations of classic Superman for decades.

Snyder's Superman is uncomfortable to watch, but that's because we are now connected to a wider universe. And with 2 films in Supes has been challenged beyond anything he could have ever imagined when it comes to being in control. Once Supes is in control, I expect to see more classic Superman elements and Henry will nail it. Though BvS was gloomy and Superman suffered to ride that wave to sacrifice, you see the care and heart of the character peeking through. It left me wanting more. Supes will be fine.

That's one way of looking at it, another is to say that he was a one beat dull depressing cardboard cut out who barely utters a line and serves merely as a plot device for Batman and Luthor.

I obviously missed all the classic superman comics with this version of the character

I agree with Tony Gunk. It makes no sense to cast and actor and then hide him. It's more likely that they don't know how to write superman. If they hide anything, it's superman himself. Snyder/Terrio used him as a concept, not as a character.

He was great in The Tudors, his early movies, UNCLE, he made the best of immortals, and I liked him in MOS, even though Superman needed more attention there too.

I thought he was quite charming in this scene (not to mention, he's saying things superman would actually say):

OmEoksX.gif

Before BvS came out, I was hoping we'd see more of this superman. The confident and friendly one, with an easy charm. Instead we went backwards with a superman that was a meek sad sack who said the oddest things.

I never thought I'd say this, but...Goyer wrote a better supes than Terrio (with hints of Goyer left over?).
That was my favorite scene in the movie. He had, as you said, an easy charm. He felt very warm and inviting, yet confident and in charge.

I think Cavill is a good actor. From the little Ive seen from The Tudors and he also was good in Man From UNCLE (really wish that made more money to get a sequel)

Going off my post from yesterday, here is a more detailed look at Superman's lines, or lack thereof, in BvS:

Absolutely inexcusable.

Damn shame and I agree: inexcusable

Henry is a good actor. BvS is a dark film and most of the mood is set in Gotham and around Batman/Lex's point of view. Superman is caught up in this dark world and it's leaving a toll on him.

I read a lot of the source material, and Cavill has Superman down pat. Supes isn't a wordy character, especially in action. He's always even keeled and held back. MoS and BvS wasn't meant to be your classic Superman story and I happen to fall in the category of wanting to tap into this side of the character because we've had countless representations of classic Superman for decades.

Snyder's Superman is uncomfortable to watch, but that's because we are now connected to a wider universe. And with 2 films in Supes has been challenged beyond anything he could have ever imagined when it comes to being in control. Once Supes is in control, I expect to see more classic Superman elements and Henry will nail it. Though BvS was gloomy and Superman suffered to ride that wave to sacrifice, you see the care and heart of the character peeking through. It left me wanting more. Supes will be fine.

Are we reading the same source material? He's not Spider-Man but I wouldn't say "Superman isn't a wordy character"

I loved when he said "it's alright, it's alright" before explaining to Lois "You're haemorrhaging internally..."

Calm and assured with a warmth. NONE of that in BvS.

Are we reading the same source material? He's not Spider-Man but I wouldn't say "Superman isn't a wordy character"

Not sure. Out of the infinity Superman comics out there, which ones are you reading? Of course, comic books take on an entirely different narrative since storytelling and panal design are mostly word bubbles. When in action, the way I read him, Superman isn't wordy. He's tongue in cheek and to the point and he thinks a lot to himself in thought bubbles. Most of his dialogue comes when trying to reason with a foe. He certainly has a lot to say as a character, but as I said, in battle he thinks to himself a lot and when he's not reasoning, he gets angry with one liners like "ENOUGH!" or any other warning signals. But I never studied it this way. I always read Supes as a to the point character in battle. Keen and strong; not chatty.

I like Cavill's acting.

He was the best part of BvS. From the tender moments like jumping into the bathtub with Lois to the gravitas of the Day of the Dead scene, Cavill hit it out of the park. None of the issues that BvS had can be attributed to him.

Cavill is more than capable of doing a good job. It's the material and the director that I put most of these deficiencies on.

LMAO

That was great.

Seriously, how did Cavill not get the lead role in Hardcore Henry? :D

I really enjoyed Cavill in U.N.C.L.E but I did find some lines pretty flat here. Since I like Cavill and dislike BvS, I'll take the easy route and blame Snyder (again :D ).

That's the appropriate response. Having worked on a few movies, I can tell you that they shoot damn near every scene WAY too many times and sometimes sh**ty directors don't use the best takes. Now, for all I know, Cavill delivered every line the exact same way in every take, but it wouldn't surprise me if Snyder used some of the weaker ones when it came to his scenes and/or also didn't give him enough direction to pull a better performance out of him.

Some people criticized Cavill's acting when he says the line "Nobody stays good in this world", but I thought he did a pretty good job of saying it.

I don't see the big deal either.

And the line, I also find fine. Superman is right. Nobody stays good in the dark and cynical world of BvS. Superman says he's willing to kill Batman if necessary, but even then, I don't think he was truly willing to cross the line like Batman had done and take a life. He flirted with the idea, but in the end, Superman remained good in the dark world, and even died for it. Most people changed, but he didn't.

I don't see the big deal either.

And the line, I also find fine. Superman is right. Nobody stays good in the dark and cynical world of BvS. Superman says he's willing to kill Batman if necessary, but even then, I don't think he was truly willing to cross the line like Batman had done and take a life. He flirted with the idea, but in the end, Superman remained good in the dark world, and even died for it. Most people changed, but he didn't.

Interesting that you bring up the contrast with cynical Batman, people criticizing that in this movie both Batman and Superman behave similarly, but you just pointed out the differences.

Superman saying "No one stays good in this world", when juxtaposed with Bruce Wayne's line "How many Good men left in Gotham ?", "How many stayed that way ?" shows that Superman did not change, he stayed good till the end.

Which Bruce even admitted during Clark Kent's funeral "Men are still good".

Last edited:
I found no problem with Cavill's or anyone else acting in the movie. Hes definitely my favourite superman. I find it really hard to watch the old superman movies. They did not age well.

I like Cavill a lot, I just wish they gave him more to do. I feel like the fact they made him a half-mute in this movie only caused people to scrutinize the few lines he DID have.

Also, I think they need to tweak the costume a bit. He looks good in it but there were a couple scenes where you could REALLY see how little mobility he has in that thing.

scowlyman disapproves of your sarcasm.

2EF6B0A200000578-3341531-image-m-44_1448992682864.jpg

wow... Cavill is really a great actor!!!

he looks so freaking bad and awful in the injustice dream...

i think he scared and surprised most of the audiences... and have them confused in a moment. haha :D

I just found it funny how cavill was talking about how Clark just tries to stay under the radar, hiding in plain sight etc. yet in the movie he is arguing with his boss in front of everyone drawing attention to himself. Everyone probably think, "wow, that Kent guy really is passionate about truth and justice an- wait a minute!"

^ I enjoyed :-)o) that he also had the exact same voice and super-frown as Kent... there's more to the disguise than the glasses, and you don't have to go full goofball to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"