How should Superman fight?

It would be awesome if they study issues of Superman comics & episodes of JL/JLU to come up with an ideal way for him to fight on the big screen. Like most of you here I don't want Supes to use martial arts, but I would like for him to mix punch combos with slams and a few uses "heat vision"/"super breath" when needed.

Chris Hemsworth studied Thor comics to see how Thor postures himself while executing attacks and it would be awesome if Henry Cavill did the same.

I'd like for Supes fights to have the "power" of the Hulk vs Abomination fight combined with the intricate "fast paced" style of the Spidey/ Doc Ock fight.

Last edited:
I would not expect Superman to be fighting like Bruce Lee or Jet Li in a film but at the very least, he should know some of the basics of blocking and using his opponents momentum against him especially if he is going up against someone of similar or greater power levels. He is rarely portrayed as a smart fighter and I would like to see that change or shown differently in the movie.

I would not expect Superman to be fighting like Bruce Lee or Jet Li in a film but at the very least, he should know some of the basics of blocking and using his opponents momentum against him especially if he is going up against someone of similar or greater power levels. He is rarely portrayed as a smart fighter and I would like to see that change or shown differently in the movie.
great post...while i agree that i don't want him fighting strictly like a martial artist, i'd even like to see Superman throw some kicks too. if Superman is fighting an opponent who is as powerful as he is, he should use whatever means necessary to take him down. if he sees an opening where a kick might do the trick, then he should use it. i just don't want him looking like he's using Tae Kwon Do.

welcome to the Hype, btw.

Well he is from a small rural town in America. What would an american teenage kid watch? Wrestling. That should be his main fighting style because that's what he sees. Of course they should mix it up to make it his own but that should be his biggest influence and there should be huge differences between him and any other given Kryptonian because they were raised in completely different cultures.

Well he is from a small rural town in America. What would an american teenage kid watch? Wrestling. That should be his main fighting style because that's what he sees. Of course they should mix it up to make it his own but that should be his biggest influence and there should be huge differences between him and any other given Kryptonian because they were raised in completely different cultures.

Heh...

[YT]9-oaSSUpKBo[/YT]

Superman really shouldn't be a styled fighter. It would really make zero sense for him to be so considering that until he meets his first supervillian he has never had to be in a meaningful fight in his life.

Superman should be a tusslin farmboy. Tackles, bodyslams, choking, shoulder blocks. Squaring off with a trained fighter, a Zod, Eradicator, even Braniac considering it has probably dowloaded techniques, I imagine the whoever the villian may be hitting Supes with your typical Liam Neeson array of offensive with Superman willing his way through the beating an attacking life your typical everyday brawler of the backyard. Imagine said supervillian jabbing, jabbing, jabbing. Superman is just taking a beating, looking like Rocky Balboa in the middle of getting pummeled by Apollo Creed. Out of nowhere, Supes explodes with energy after getting rocked in the jaw, swings to the back of his opponent and hits a belly to back overhead suplex.

Thats what I picture.

Most people that have never taken lessons are just very sloppy when they fight. They go brutal and hard with the intent of just taking the other dude out. That should just be it. It's not gonna be a ballet like Batman, but when he comes at you, you know that **** is going to hurt.

First...what to avoid. Anything Matrix-like, for starters. No stylized martial arts, either. Anything like Chan, Lee, Van Damme, Segal...get rid of it. There are some elements of Keysi Fighting Method (used for The Batfilms) that I think could work (especially some of the ground stuff). Like one earlier poster, I agree that wrestling would be a trip to put in the fight scenes. There are some particularly nasty slams that would look great on film, if done right (I'm thinking a DDT through some concrete as a warm-up). Also, Supes should be deliberate when fighting and not just some untamed brawler who fights like the local lush down at Tootie's Bar and Grill every Saturday. Finally, the use of his powers should be creative and should also be mixed in with some clever usage of the environment around him (I'm thinking makeshift weapons?).

I would also like to see Superman fight multiple threats without ever having to throw a punch. For instance with his use of super speed, he should be able to create tornado force winds that should knock his adversaries for a loop. He could generate shock waves to get his adversaries attention. There are so many different methods at his disposal.

i know this may sound silly, but i always thought it would be cool if when Supes is fighting, he gets knocked down, and gets back up like a vampire would....hopefully not as slow, but you get my point?

This is how I want superman to fight in the movie. Specialy if he kicks I want the kicks to be like in this
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kusA6kY8_vw[/YT]

There should be a lot of kung fu type stuff with wire work like in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

This is how I want superman to fight in the movie. Specialy if he kicks I want the kicks to be like in this
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kusA6kY8_vw[/YT]

You don't have to put the whole link. Just what comes after "v=." Like so...

[YT]kusA6kY8_vw[/YT]

Here's another fight I liked from Smallville back when someone knew that just because these guys are super strong, they don't have to be sent flying for miles after being punched...

[YT]LO__gZbgZ-k[/YT]

I would also like to see Superman fight multiple threats without ever having to throw a punch. For instance with his use of super speed, he should be able to create tornado force winds that should knock his adversaries for a loop. He could generate shock waves to get his adversaries attention. There are so many different methods at his disposal.

He should steal a move from Ben Grimm and do the "thunderclap." Since there's never going to be a good FF movie, let's see that done here.

Just watch the Justice League Unlimited for how Superman SHOULD fight.

He should steal a move from Ben Grimm and do the "thunderclap." Since there's never going to be a good FF movie, let's see that done here.

If I remember correctly, he did that in STAS and told Lois to cover her ears when he had to put out a fire.

I think Superman should fight smoothly, as people have said before in this thread, he's not a 'trained' fighter, but in my opinion, he has plenty of experiance!! I think his attacks should flow seamlessly, between big punches, throws, heat vision, flying spears, big slams,ect... Just make it look natural, and try to actually do something to show how powerful he truly is, as he is meant to be practically a god!! I dont feel that in any of the films or tv shows that have come before he's been shown to be as strong as he actually is.

Exactly! Plus Supes has studied all forms of fighting most likely without needing to be actually trained in those disciplines.

Whatever it takes for him to win, is the way he should fight.

I can see him fighting much like how Ozymandias did in Watchmen, but with more power and force.

Superman is after all faster than a speeding bullet and Ozy was supposed to be pretty damn fast in Watchmen.

Just watch the Justice League Unlimited for how Superman SHOULD fight.

Definitely his fighst against Mongul, Captain Marvel and Captain Atom to name a few were LEGEN... wait for it................................. DARY :D

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8VPOP7huew[/YT]

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2BvSqqmidM[/YT]

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju_h9KUju4w[/YT]

Also the way he fights in Superman Batman Public Enemies is awesome

If I remember correctly, he did that in STAS and told Lois to cover her ears when he had to put out a fire.

I vaguely remember that. But I want to see it in live action, with a ripple effect taking apart enemy tanks, etc.!

I vaguely remember that. But I want to see it in live action, with a ripple effect taking apart enemy tanks, etc.!

yeah that was an epic scene I actually think it was in a scene with Lana. I think it was in the episode Where theres Smoke

Superman should fight like an NFL offensive linemen would fight (he should have a similar build too, minus the big guts, but with the size and bulk as Tim Sale drew him in Superman for All Seasons), with a lot of power and strength, but not so much grace. Who needs grace when you're super strong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"