• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Dark Knight Rises How smart is nolan's batman?

But it would be so much more interesting and intimidating if he breaks a criminal psychologically (like Det Goren) than just growling and saying lines like "swear to me!"

With a character based on theatrically, fear and intimidation, I don't see that working.

I don't think watching a guy dressed up like a bat trying to break down the psyche of a criminal would work all that well. Probably would look quite silly.

Scenes like when he manhandles Falcone work a lot better imo.

With a character based on theatrically, fear and intimidation, I don't see that working.

I don't think watching a guy dressed up like a bat trying to break down the psyche of a criminal would work all that well. Probably would look quite silly.

Scenes like when he manhandles Falcone work a lot better imo.
Yeeeah... I'm not a big fan of a Batman that sits down to have a chat with criminals. One of the worst things about The Killing Joke was how it had Batman sit down to try to have a heart to heart with the Joker. TKJ's characterization of the Joker was perfect, but its characterization of Batman was horrible.

Yeeeah... I'm not a big fan of a Batman that sits down to have a chat with criminals. One of the worst things about The Killing Joke was how it had Batman sit down to try to have a heart to heart with the Joker. TKJ's characterization of the Joker was perfect, but its characterization of Batman was horrible.

Yeah, it is weird for a character whose whole persona is built on living in the shadows.

The guy made his own giant spy computer, he DID make things in the cave in the first film (which the OP seems to ignore), etc. People who use this argument that Nolan's Batman isn't smart also ignore the subtle little details that show his detective work without blatantly putting him in a Sherlock Holmes hat and playing with beakers, such as knowing who Thomas Schiff was when he confronted an angry Harvey Dent. He'd obviously done his homework ahead of time to know Schiff's name and to know he was an inmate at Arkham.

People ***** and moan about how he made that giant computer based on Lucius' technology, but let's not pretend that taking technology from a little cell phone and enhancing it with a super computer (built singlehandedly, it seems---Fox was COMPLETELY in the dark about it) isn't a major accomplishment. That kind of thing is beyond anyone posting here and beyond 99% of people living in the real world.

I completely agree with you.

The Bruce Wayne from Nolan films is very much a genius in my opinion if thought out accurately and close enough which a lot of people surprisingly forget to do.

Taking into consideration all his accomplishments and the way he's juggled two very difficult lifestyle (CEO of a major company by day and the most skilled vigilante to ever grace Earth by night).

I'd say he's way smart.

The man was able to fall off the face of the Earth for 7 years. One of the richest men on the planet just vanished. Not bad if you ask me.

I loved that part. It made sense to me that Batman would be concerned that his arch-rivalry with Joker would end in the death of either himself or Joker, and would take action based on that concern. It was a great scene, and it really served to bring the characters and ideas to the forefront and add depth to the story. It's one of the most unique openings to a superhero story I have ever seen. It sets the tone that this Batman/Joker tale is different from those that have preceded it.

Nolan's Bat will be smart enough to get over Rachel Dawes, as soon as Kyle in a catsuit nicks his batpod.

So "super intelligent " people are not "real world"???

Yea, but it's highly unlikely that in addition to super intelligence, they would also be billionaires who have trained to the peak of human perfection in every fighting style known to man as well as being a world-class detective.

He's very intelligent, but it's presented in a mostly subtle way and it builds as the character progresses through the larger story arc. Bruce was a little more independent and crafty in TDK than he was in Begins, and I expect that to continue with Rises.

Yea, but it's highly unlikely that in addition to super intelligence, they would also be billionaires who have trained to the peak of human perfection in every fighting style known to man as well as being a world-class detective.
I don't think it would be surprising for a billionaire to inherit smarts and athleticism. Some rich people have good genes.

He's very intelligent, but it's presented in a mostly subtle way and it builds as the character progresses through the larger story arc. Bruce was a little more independent and crafty in TDK than he was in Begins, and I expect that to continue with Rises.

Exactly :up:

They should have given us a mediocre Joker to make Batman look smarter. That makes a lot more sense than having a novice Batman learn that his prejudices about criminals being simple aren't true, to the point where he has the Joker's mindset completely figured out by the end of the movie. Character growth is overrated.

That would be a strawman I believe.

I'm have no doubt that when Sherlock meets Moriarty(for the first time) in his coming movie, the Mori they give us won't be mediocre in order to make Sherlock look smarter. Even if the movie was about a young sherlock I'm sure he'd be more arrogant and filled with tons of character flaws but this playing a character dumb schtick personally doesn't work for me. Not when being a genius is there thing.

Tony Stark built it in a cave with a box of scraps and we respect him for it. Even if it was the start of his career.

I personally don't have that much of a problem with the very normal batman, it's actually akin to the animated series(though not quite). I just hope nolan shows the world a batman in his full glory at some point for I won't be able to stand people claiming he did otherwise.
NOTE: Bruce Timm eventually did nail the brilliance of Bruce Wayne during his run.

Unless Lex Luthor and Reed Richards are sitting next to him at the same time. Bruce Wayne is probably always the smartest man in the room. At least I like to believe so.

I never said that Batman has to sit down and chat with criminals. If you watch Det Goren (Vincent D'Onofrio) in Law and Order: Criminal Intent, most of the time he paces around, leans into the crooks, circles them, invades their personal space, uses intimidation techniques, plays on their fears and insecurities and says inflammatory things deliberately to incite them and lose their cool. That's something I could see Batman doing. Goren doesn't usually act like a regular detective, which is why many in the police force think he's often crossing the line and that he's a bit of a psycho.

However, Goren does do a lot of standard detective work and makes very subtle observations.

That would be a strawman I believe.

I'm have no doubt that when Sherlock meets Moriarty(for the first time) in his coming movie, the Mori they give us won't be mediocre in order to make Sherlock look smarter. Even if the movie was about a young sherlock I'm sure he'd be more arrogant and filled with tons of character flaws but this playing a character dumb schtick personally doesn't work for me. Not when being a genius is there thing.
Dumb schtick? The only dumb thing he did in the entire movie was underestimate the Joker, which is understandable because the only major criminals he'd faced beforehand were Ra's al Ghul and the Scarecrow, who operated in a completely different way. I've already pointed out how Batman as depicted in the film is smarter than anyone here, or the majority of the people in the world for that matter. Even so, it wasn't in-your-face, which is why there seems to be this huge protest that it was never there at all. If you rub Batman's genius in the audience's face, though, it puts the audience off and they can't take him seriously. Look no further than Adam West's Batman for evidence of that. There also has to be a consistency there. Batman can evolve and learn, but he can't become batgod overnight (or immediately in the sequel) simply for the sake of comic book accuracy.
Tony Stark built it in a cave with a box of scraps and we respect him for it. Even if it was the start of his career.
Any respect that I had for Tony Stark was not based on him being a handyman. That's certainly never been where my respect for Batman comes from.
I personally don't have that much of a problem with the very normal batman, it's actually akin to the animated series(though not quite). I just hope nolan shows the world a batman in his full glory at some point for I won't be able to stand people claiming he did otherwise.
NOTE: Bruce Timm eventually did nail the brilliance of Bruce Wayne during his run.
You're comparing a medium that literally had YEARS to tell its story to a trilogy of 2.5 hour movies... a trilogy dedicated to Bruce's early years, no less. What works for an entire series won't work for a much more restricted medium. That show had a loooong time for Batman's character to develop in it, including animated movies, a season with a complete Bat Family, Batman in the Justice League, and a take on Bruce as an old man.

Do you know the issue though?

I have it but won't be able to tell you till I'm back in school. Comics are packed for the summer, while I'm here at home. It is for sure an issue of Detective Comics...

I have it but won't be able to tell you till I'm back in school. Comics are packed for the summer, while I'm here at home. It is for sure an issue of Detective Comics...
Alright, thanks. It looks like a great read.

Nolan's Batman is no where near the level of intelligence that comic book Batman is.

Batman should be building these sonar computers himself. Batman should be creating the Fear Toxin antidote himself.

Not some Q a like in Lucius Fox.

He implemented the technology and built the supercomputer himself. His intelligence in the comics is getting ridiculous.

It´s funny how often this question is brought up on various boards, it seems like if the guy is anything less than the new Stephen Hawking, he´s never smart enough. Batman clearly outsmarted Ra´s in the end of Begins, and he´s also figured out The Joker before the police did, not to mention he was able to adapt Lucius´ sonar technology to find Joker, find the Arkham Asylum Joker henchman - with technology yes, but knowing what he was looking for and how to work with it -, and create the "bat-whistle". I think he´s well covered smarts-wise.

People keep bringing up that he came up with everything in the comics, but to design and build everything by himself would have demanded at least the years he spent preparing to be Batman,learning the ninja/criminologist thing, etc.

It´s funny how often this question is brought up on various boards, it seems like if the guy is anything less than the new Stephen Hawking, he´s never smart enough. Batman clearly outsmarted Ra´s in the end of Begins, and he´s also figured out The Joker before the police did, not to mention he was able to adapt Lucius´ sonar technology to find Joker, find the Arkham Asylum Joker henchman - with technology yes, but knowing what he was looking for and how to work with it -, and create the "bat-whistle". I think he´s well covered smarts-wise.

:up:Exactly.

I'm not talking Bat God levels. I'm talking just being a genius. He should be the guy inventing the sonar tech. Not implementing it. In Begins he should be the guy formulating the antidote.

I'm not talking Bat God levels. I'm talking just being a genius. He should be the guy inventing the sonar tech.

Well, he is a genius. He has people working beneath him and inventing stuff FOR him.:woot:

I'm not talking Bat God levels. I'm talking just being a genius. He should be the guy inventing the sonar tech.

Still, he adapted it for finding Joker. That probably requires a lot technical skill, especially impressive since we have never seen or heard any indication he has any sort of formal education in the realm of electronics.

Still, he adapted it for finding Joker. That probably requires a lot technical skill, especially impressive since we have never seen or heard any indication he has any sort of formal education in the realm of electronics.

AND, he probably did the Batpod coming out of the Tumbler thingie.

I've never seen that much in common with Batman and Holmes anyway. Yeah, yeah, they're both detectives, but Holmes is more or less a genius with an extreme case of Asperger's Syndrome. His obsession with certain details (like cigar ashes) and his complete lack of knowledge about others (doesn't know that the Earth orbits the sun) are comical and bring a levity to the character. I'd say that's pretty different from Batman.

Couldn't you have just quoted that article from Cracked? haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"