Ideas for Man of Steel 2

Nah, Brainiac is a Justice League Sized Problem

I can see that, but Brainiac is a Superman villain way more than he is a JL one. Brainiac could be part of the part to make a JL problem, but its Superman.

There's other villains, but I feel this one is a better thing to go first as the others in my ideas require some changing of plans they have set.

Plus, people have wanted this since....wow, 1983

I can see that, but Brainiac is a Superman villain way more than he is a JL one.

These bigoted, traditionalist opinions will doom DC to failure.

And to be Honest Cyborg and Grid having to fuse back into one entity in order to be technologically Superior to Brainiac in order to defeat him sounds more interesting than Superman punching a Laser back at Brainiac

Last edited:
How? That's not the things that doom DC.

Brainiac, from Geoff Johns' arc back in 2008, was not only smarter than Superman, but was physically stronger too. He may have broken his arm, I can't remember.

Last edited:
I’ll be happy to see Brainiac regardless of where he appears, as long as they get him right.

I’ll be happy to see Brainiac regardless of where he appears, as long as they get him right.

Might as well ask you, because I can't ask that guy, I have a hard time seeing Brainiac in his current form done in the films. Sure he's like that on Krypton, but I feel the DCEU should take a different approach. What do you think Brainiac should be like in the DCEU and how much change can there be that still allows him to be liked and accepted by....everyone?

Might as well ask you, because I can't ask that guy, I have a hard time seeing Brainiac in his current form done in the films. Sure he's like that on Krypton, but I feel the DCEU should take a different approach. What do you think Brainiac should be like in the DCEU and how much change can there be that still allows him to be liked and accepted by....everyone?

If I could have it totally my way I'd have a less experienced and less powerful Brainiac who is a match for Superman debut in MoS 2 and the film ends with Supes stopping the threat of Brainiac but him surviving. Then he could come back far stronger in a JL film (and possibly no longer alone) with Supes calling out to the others for help.

But isn't JL2 set for the Legion of Doom?

How? That's not the things that doom DC.

Yes it is.

For example Marvel has essentially built the MCU from C listers and less. How? By changing them to be more cinematically viable. Changing them was only made possible by public ambivalence and the open mindedness of the characters few fans. The one time they change a b list character, The Mandarin, it blows up in their face to the point they back tracked and said "maybe there's a real mandarin."

DC using it's big guns (Superman and Batman) has no such luxury with public ambivalence and open minded fans. DC now has to appeal to bigots and traditionalist while bringing in new fans who didn't really care for previous iterations of the characters.

DC should dump Batman and SUperman (give other characters a chance to shine) and pick characters that are already cinematically viable (like Spider-man, or Booster gold) or characters, no one gives a **** about (like the guardians of the Galaxy,or a Green Lantern Corps movie with no humans), that they can mold into cinematically viable characters.

My version of brainiac isn't the mustache twirling villain from Krypton, though i do find his brand evil mustache twirling charming.

My version of brainiac needs a little primer. If you don't know or understand what the "Great Filter" is. you can watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjtOGPJ0URM

For the purpose of the story i posit that "The Great Filter" is ahead of us rather than behind.

Brainiac is 3 billion years old. He started as a peaceful knowledge exchange and preservation AI, created on Colua and sent to a nearby civilization. A 200 year journey at Sublight speeds. He fulfills his programming and begins his 200 year return trip. When he returns Colua is destroyed it's biosphere ravaged, nothing intelligent lives. Brainiac pieces together the last years of Colua as an age of civil unrest and social policy failure. With no where else to go he heads back to the neighboring civilization. He arrives but it to has succumb to the same social maladies as Colua.

Brainiac sets off across the universe. Trading only with more advanced civilizations, upgrading himself along the way, but studying the lesser civilizations and watching them destroy themselves. Brainiac wanting to prevent the loss of all the knowledge that could be created and help those civilizations past the great filter, creates a technological and cultural baseline. Technologically near our current technology, and culturally that planet has unified as a single nation providing it's citizens with Universal Health Care and a Basic Income. He resumes trading with civilizations below the baseline. He attempts to teach the civilizations the lessons of those that failed before them. Even with the lessons, the failure rate of civilizations is still catastrophically low. As he collects more data he notices that cultures that wage global scale war into the Information Age have a near perfect success rate. With that he retool's his plan to waging war on a unheard of scale against peaceful planets that meet at least on of his baselines. To those that met all four baselines he's just a wandering information broker, and to those who have yet to encounter brainiac it is because they have yet to reach a baseline.

He never attacks a planet with an insurmountable advantage, technological or otherwise. Only attacking with enough force and technology that only a unified defense could repel.

As he wanders the cosmos he notices what he calls "The Graveyard" a large expanse of space full of failed civilizations with only one still standing. A small blue planet the natives call earth. He makes his way there. To uncover the mystery of the Graveyard and it's relation to earth.

I would cast Tommy Chong as Brainiac

uMM..............

You suck.

You suck so bad.

That question wasn't meant for you, because you're a nut case.

BTW, DC fanboys are bad, but they're not bigots. Just accepting of things, even those that did the job and made people fans of things they liked.

You're really a troll who talks crap and screams stupidity that insults everyone.

I'm reporting you.

I don't talk crap and don't scream stupidity. This is serious discussion.

Tommy Chong as Brainiac, and YOU! DON'T! TALK! AND! STUPIDITY?!

Tommy Chong as Brainiac, and YOU! DON'T! TALK! AND! STUPIDITY?!

Krypton is giving us Mustachio Twirling Brainiac, StAS gave us cold calculating un emotional Brainiac. Why not a affable like-able, disarming Brainiac that wants to help civilizations survive but has come to the conclusion he has to be mean to do it.

Krypton is giving us Mustachio Twirling Brainiac, StAS gave us cold calculating un emotional Brainiac. Why not a affable like-able, disarming Brainiac that wants to help civilizations survive but has come to the conclusion he has to be mean to do it.

So you want Earth to unite against a common enemy- Brainiac- to save themselves? And Brainiac is doing this on purpose to help Earth, not destroy or capture it?

In what way likeable? You want him to be a charming, smooth villain? Like a David Niven? Or a Hans Gruber?

What about this guy for Brainiac?

5UCtcjg.jpg

I've always wanted to see Brainiac in live action. Do I think he is a Superman or Justice League sized problem? I can go either way. It has gone either way in comics. But Brainiac was originally only a Superman sized problem. So I'd be fine with it either way.
I think I'd like to see Metallo in the sequel, maybe even another villain. so many options to choose from. I'm just ready to see some we've never seen on the big screen.
But i'm definitely glad to see some news/rumors with source that MOS 2 is getting some movement. MOS is one of my Top 5 favorite superhero films of all times.

I think perhaps, plot wise, Brainiac should have a connection to Supergirl.

I want to share my ideas, but I'm afraid someone will see my post and steal them.

I really want to write MOS2

But isn't JL2 set for the Legion of Doom?

The “Justice” graphic novel had both Legion of Doom (or Injustice Society) and Brainiac. I think an adaptation/inspired story from that would work really well for a JL2 set in this universe, just as long as they use a Brainiac akin to Johns/Donner story arc, Injustice 2 or Krypton iterations (rather than the mad scientist with a monkey). It’s even got a little bit of Tower of Babel, which many people also want.

I think perhaps, plot wise, Brainiac should have a connection to Supergirl.

I want to share my ideas, but I'm afraid someone will see my post and steal them.

I really want to write MOS2

Are you a professional writer?

Personally, I really want MOS2 to help set up JL2 and future Superman films, while also serving to do a lot of the broader and deeper development that a proper Superman solo sequel might have done. Because of that, I’d rather have a MOS 2 that takes place entirely in Metropolis and brings in everything from supporting characters like Jimmy and Bibbo to institutions like Star Labs and the SCU, while also tying back into BvS and JL with groups like Intergang and Project Cadmus.

As much as I want WB to get to Brainiac already, I think developing Superman at the local level will help set him up much better, while also paving the way for a much better Brainiac story.

The “Justice” graphic novel had both Legion of Doom (or Injustice Society) and Brainiac. I think an adaptation/inspired story from that would work really well for a JL2 set in this universe, just as long as they use a Brainiac akin to Johns/Donner story arc, Injustice 2 or Krypton iterations (rather than the mad scientist with a monkey). It’s even got a little bit of Tower of Babel, which many people also want.

Are you a professional writer?

Personally, I really want MOS2 to help set up JL2 and future Superman films, while also serving to do a lot of the broader and deeper development that a proper Superman solo sequel might have done. Because of that, I’d rather have a MOS 2 that takes place entirely in Metropolis and brings in everything from supporting characters like Jimmy and Bibbo to institutions like Star Labs and the SCU, while also tying back into BvS and JL with groups like Intergang and Project Cadmus.

As much as I want WB to get to Brainiac already, I think developing Superman at the local level will help set him up much better, while also paving the way for a much better Brainiac story.

"Justice" is perfect for JL2. PERFECT! I feel the same way.

I'm not professionally, though the interest can make me write something if someone give me the job. I just have a series of unfinished scripts/screenplays. I do have a connection to a local film group, but haven't met anyone beyond a guy who wanted to do a short film, but wanted me to produce it. It didn't get off the ground, though I didn't want to be a producer.

TBH, I do agree, its just that if its not Brainiac, the fear is whether or not we'll ever get him in a Superman film, moreso than appearing in JL. Basically, Superman solo first before JL2, unless you could fit him with Darkseid in JL3, then you have have him in MOS3 first before JL3. Because Brainiac has been wanted since Superman III; then Superman Lives, rumored for SR2, and reported along with Luthor in the first reported story that Nolan and Goyer were producing Man of Steel.

But here's the deal: you want a Superman movie more about him being him and how great he is. I WANT THAT TOO. Add Jimmy (I know what to do and cast), bring in Turpin and Sawyer, and maybe even Bibbo. Maybe even Intergang as a mob gang. BUT! If not Brainiac, which in turn we cannot have Supergirl which I cannot see without, then the perfect villains that fits this movie idea is this group: The Superman Revenge Squad! Bring back Luthor (wityh a story I've been cooking), Bizarro, Metallo, Parasite, and Toyman. And in this story, Clark deals with Superman from the world's POV and wants, from a story I cooked that's pretty meta.

What do you think?

If I were more optimistic about the prospects of a stand-alone MOS sequel, here's where I'd go...

Firstly, THIS suit, in THESE colors, with THIS level of lighting. Thank you.
JL-Superman.jpg

Secondly, I know everyone and their dog is just itching to see them done proper on the big screen after all these years of waiting, and there was a time when I'd have still been on the bandwagon myself, but personally I've kind of gotten to the point where I think Supergirl and Brainiac are fine right where they are for the time being. There's been enough space-villain action going on in the genre of late that sticking closer to home for menaces - ones that aren't bald camp-mongering megalomaniacs named Luthor, anyway - might actually be kind of a fresh turn at this point. That having been said...

The coming-home party is over, and the morning-after hangover has hit. In the five years since his return, Clark Kent's second lease on life has been faring rather better than that of his caped alter-ego - for one, he's become a Pulitzer winner of considerable renown; and secondly, he's now happily married to Lois Lane - but as Superman, things have kinda gone right back to square one for him. Just as America's post-9/11 rallying has given way to a nation more divided than ever, the very reality that this alien demigod has been resurrected from the dead has created a global schism that has led to violence and crime sufficient to tax all the goodwill and admiration that came to the surface with his sacrifice. There are those who see his return as the Second Coming finally realized...and those who see it as an abomination of the natural order so ungodly only the Devil could devise it.

And then there's Lois's estranged dad at the Pentagon, Gen. Sam Lane, who sees nothing but cataclysm on all sides as long as Superman remains among us...and realizes that it may take Superman dying again, and a better (read: permanent) job of it done this time, to head off a worldwide catastrophe since doing away with him for good would prove that he's neither divine nor demonic. To that end, he's enlisted the advanced science branch of the recently-initiated Department of Extranormal Operations - CADMUS - to put all those resources and data confiscated from Lexcorp to good use. The first iron in that particular fire is to employ studies of Zod's shattered armor as well as the robotic technology aboard the Kryptonian scout ship to put one of the best soldiers he ever had, Iraq veteran Sgt. John Corben - left a triple amputee in the Metropolis attack shortly after his return home from abroad - "back together again". The second level of the project involves investing Kryptonian DNA into an existing human being to make them super-human; as this is comparatively more dangerous than bionicizing Corben, Gen. Lane selects a stoolie of his at the Daily Planet - janitor, recent divorcee, habitual thief and generally more convenient walking expendability Rudy Jones - as a subject, and the end result is a being whose mutated physiology has twisted Superman's ability to draw energy from sunlight into being able to siphon energy from any living thing around him with one touch...all at the low, low cost of rendering his skin purpler and lumpier with every absorption like a leech that's gorged itself on blood. The third level, one that Gen. Lane would rather have avoided based on how oh so well it worked out the last time somebody tried it, is to create a wholly-new being with Kryptonian DNA - only this time using Superman's blood, retrieved from Doomsday's skin; the result ends up just as gray and rough-skinned as Doomsday was, but with a little more hair and - once Corben and Jones are up and running enough to help out with a little "conditioning" - rather more tamable than Doomsday was as well, despite a slight case of dyslexia and preschool-level speech skills. In other words, Gen. Lane has no intention of making the same screw-ups Luthor did trying to get the job done.

But while the General is so fixated on keeping the peace by ridding the world of Superman, he really ought to be paying closer attention to what's going on inside those growing religious movements, one in particular. Led by the enigmatic Reverend William, the ever-growing stridently anti-Superman movement known as the Guardians Of Glory are being rallied by the Reverend's increasing visions of a coming apocalypse - visions in which Superman is destined to throw down against a green knight, a purple behemoth and a twisted mirror-image of himself in the heart of a small Kansas town, and from which will result an apparent nuclear explosion. Because if the General had paid attention, he wouldn't have seen fit to have a military convoy covertly transporting an active warhead that would ultimately end up having to make a detour through Smallville.

Fortunately, one person in the General's employ HAS been paying attention - the chief engineer of Corben's Metallo armor, John Henry Irons - and his general dissatisfaction with his boss's xenophobia, coupled with his distaste for the increasing irresponsibility of the General's new "team", AND his general gratitude for Superman's presence in Metropolis where his family lives, quickly lead him to the conclusion that since there's no promise of the Justice League putting in an appearance on this one, Superman is probably going to need all the help he can get. For that matter, the same conclusion is reached even by CADMUS' prior attempt at creating a Superman clone - one that would have turned out perfect save for that he apparently arrested once he reached teen age - after the lad abruptly awakens, flees the facility, and, after getting his bearings with the help of a suspicious Lois who's been snooping around trying to figure out what her dad's been up to, decides helping Superman out may also be HIS best bet at figuring out what he's supposed to do with himself now.

Last edited:
The “Justice” graphic novel had both Legion of Doom (or Injustice Society) and Brainiac. I think an adaptation/inspired story from that would work really well for a JL2 set in this universe...

Have to add my support for an adaptation of Justice :up: (Kinda got the urge to reread that now)

If I were more optimistic about the prospects of a stand-alone MOS sequel, here's where I'd go...

Firstly, THIS suit, in THESE colors, with THIS level of lighting. Thank you.
JL-Superman.jpg

Secondly, I know everyone and their dog is just itching to see them done proper on the big screen after all these years of waiting, and there was a time when I'd have still been on the bandwagon myself, but personally I've kind of gotten to the point where I think Supergirl and Brainiac are fine right where they are for the time being. There's been enough space-villain action going on in the genre of late that sticking closer to home for menaces - ones that aren't bald camp-mongering megalomaniacs named Luthor, anyway - might actually be kind of a fresh turn at this point. That having been said...

The coming-home party is over, and the morning-after hangover has hit. In the five years since his return, Clark Kent's second lease on life has been faring rather better than that of his caped alter-ego - for one, he's become a Pulitzer winner of considerable renown; and secondly, he's now happily married to Lois Lane - but as Superman, things have kinda gone right back to square one for him. Just as America's post-9/11 rallying has given way to a nation more divided than ever, the very reality that this alien demigod has been resurrected from the dead has created a global schism that has led to violence and crime sufficient to tax all the goodwill and admiration that came to the surface with his sacrifice. There are those who see his return as the Second Coming finally realized...and those who see it as an abomination of the natural order so ungodly only the Devil could devise it.

And then there's Lois's estranged dad at the Pentagon, Gen. Sam Lane, who sees nothing but cataclysm on all sides as long as Superman remains among us...and realizes that it may take Superman dying again, and a better (read: permanent) job of it done this time, to head off a worldwide catastrophe. To that end, he's enlisted the genetic science branch of the recently-initiated Department of Extranormal Operations - CADMUS - to put all those resources and data confiscated from Lexcorp to good use. The first iron in that particular fire is to employ studies of Zod's shattered armor as well as the robotic technology aboard the Kryptonian scout ship to put one of the best soldiers he ever had, Iraq veteran Sgt. John Corben - left a triple amputee in the Metropolis attack shortly after his return home from abroad - "back together again". The second level of the project involves investing Kryptonian DNA into an existing human being to make them super-human; as this is comparatively more dangerous than bionicizing Corben, Gen. Lane selects a stoolie of his at the Daily Planet - janitor, recent divorcee, habitual thief and generally more convenient walking expendability Rudy Jones - as a subject, and the end result is a being whose mutated physiology has twisted Superman's ability to draw energy from sunlight into being able to siphon energy from any living thing around him with one touch...all at the low, low cost of rendering his skin purpler and lumpier with every absorption like a leech that's gorged itself on blood. The third level, one that Gen. Lane would rather have avoided based on how oh so well it worked out the last time somebody tried it, is to create a wholly-new being with Kryptonian DNA - only this time using Superman's blood, retrieved from Doomsday's skin; the result ends up just as gray and rough-skinned as Doomsday was, but with a little more hair and - once Corben and Jones are up and running enough to help out with a little "conditioning" - rather more tamable than Doomsday was as well, despite a slight case of dyslexia and preschool-level speech skills. In other words, Gen. Lane has no intention of making the same screw-ups Luthor did trying to get the job done.

But while the General is so fixated on keeping the peace by ridding the world of Superman, he really ought to be paying closer attention to what's going on inside those growing religious movements, one in particular. Led by the enigmatic Reverend William, the ever-growing stridently anti-Superman movement known as the Guardians Of Glory are being rallied by the Reverend's increasing visions of a coming apocalypse - visions in which Superman is destined to throw down against a green knight, a purple behemoth and a twisted mirror-image of himself in the heart of a small Kansas town, and from which will result an apparent nuclear explosion. Because if the General had paid attention, he wouldn't have seen fit to have a military convoy covertly transporting an active warhead that would ultimately end up having to make a detour through Smallville.

Fortunately, one person in the General's employ HAS been paying attention - the chief engineer of Corben's Metallo armor, John Henry Irons - and his general dissatisfaction with his boss's xenophobia, coupled with his distaste for the increasing irresponsibility of the General's new "team", AND his general gratitude for Superman's presence in Metropolis where his family lives, quickly lead him to the conclusion that since there's no promise of the Justice League putting in an appearance on this one, Superman is probably going to need all the help he can get. For that matter, the same conclusion is reached even by CADMUS' prior attempt at creating a Superman clone - one that would have turned out perfect save for that he apparently arrested once he reached teen age - after the lad abruptly awakens, flees the facility, and, after getting his bearings with the help of a suspicious Lois who's been snooping around trying to figure out what her dad's been up to, decides helping Superman out may also be HIS best bet at figuring out what he's supposed to do with himself now.

Umm....I'm being serious here....
southpark-clapping.gif

Superman vs The Superman Revenge Squad, which was my idea (minus Toyman), led by Sam Lane (better, though I have a great Luthor idea that all of us would like), CADMUS, and Superboy before Supergirl and Brainiac later!

This is all good, man. Bravo!

I wish WB sees this (pitch it!) or what they do come up with equals how good this is.

Umm....I'm being serious here....
southpark-clapping.gif

Superman vs The Superman Revenge Squad, which was my idea (minus Toyman), led by Sam Lane (better, though I have a great Luthor idea that all of us would like), CADMUS, and Superboy before Supergirl and Brainiac later!

This is all good, man. Bravo!

I wish WB sees this (pitch it!) or what they do come up with equals how good this is.

Thanks!

I think the "Last Son"-era SRS is probably a logical step as villainy in a Superman movie would go from here - it'd probably be more effective to do all three of them at once, since being typically more brute force than intellect, each of the three alone would probably not be strong enough on their own as presences without somebody above them to bring them together to bear down on Superman - and I think Lane, being a man of authority with a personal stake in Superman's presence on Earth through his daughter, is probably just as logical a next step as a main threat for Superman in view of all that's been happening in this cinematic universe so far, what with the previous Kryptonian attack and Waller's attempt at wrangling dangerous psychopaths and now every superhuman from here to Themyscira popping up...this is a man whose very JOB would have him on his toes under those kind of circumstances. Plus, since in BvS the nut of cloning Kryptonian DNA has apparently already been cracked, characters like Conner and Bizarro would only be a small step from Doomsday, and given the New 52 it's not a stretch to involve Irons in Corben's augmentation.

Also, at this point, Superman's resurrection would also be appropriate grist for re-invoking the whole question of "What would happen in the world we live in today if this guy suddenly showed up in it?" that MOS posed...specifically now dealing with the fact that this man with godlike abilities who was presumably declared legally and clinically dead by some valid form of medical authority is now back among the living. The ramifications of that in a world of religious extremism would be potentially uglier than just the knowledge that one of those space aliens that smashed Metropolis to bits a while back still walks among us. That was to me probably one of the more interesting aspects of the whole "Reign of the Supermen" storyline back in 1993, and to me it also points out how much more compelling Jor-El's assurance to his son back in MOS is...not the whole "they will race behind you and join you in the sun" bit, but rather what he says BEFORE that: "They will stumble, they will fall." Because frankly we're gonna stumble and fall A LOT before we'd ever get to a point where we'd be able to chase Superman's example.

Which is why this would also be the perfect time for Superman to be FULLY engaged in being a hero. He's already died, and given what happened immediately after he was brought back it probably wouldn't be an experience he'd want to dwell on much anymore, so it would probably pay to be a more helpful, friendlier, optimistic sort in the cape as well as behind the glasses from here on out. Personally I think JL may have taken him a little too far in the more upbeat direction at this point in the life of this particular version of the character, but that can probably easily be chalked up/retconned as him just being glad to be alive.

Last edited:

I'm not professionally, though the interest can make me write something if someone give me the job. I just have a series of unfinished scripts/screenplays. I do have a connection to a local film group, but haven't met anyone beyond a guy who wanted to do a short film, but wanted me to produce it. It didn't get off the ground, though I didn't want to be a producer.

TBH, I do agree, its just that if its not Brainiac, the fear is whether or not we'll ever get him in a Superman film, moreso than appearing in JL. Basically, Superman solo first before JL2, unless you could fit him with Darkseid in JL3, then you have have him in MOS3 first before JL3. Because Brainiac has been wanted since Superman III; then Superman Lives, rumored for SR2, and reported along with Luthor in the first reported story that Nolan and Goyer were producing Man of Steel.

But here's the deal: you want a Superman movie more about him being him and how great he is. I WANT THAT TOO. Add Jimmy (I know what to do and cast), bring in Turpin and Sawyer, and maybe even Bibbo. Maybe even Intergang as a mob gang. BUT! If not Brainiac, which in turn we cannot have Supergirl which I cannot see without, then the perfect villains that fits this movie idea is this group: The Superman Revenge Squad! Bring back Luthor (wityh a story I've been cooking), Bizarro, Metallo, Parasite, and Toyman. And in this story, Clark deals with Superman from the world's POV and wants, from a story I cooked that's pretty meta.

What do you think?

[...]

[...]

So my general thoughts are that they have covered the growing pains of the world adjusting to the demigod and Superman adjusting to the world. While it’s certainly interesting to see that in the context of a post-resurrection Superman, I don’t think that’s the best move they can make in terms of moving Superman forward. At the same time, I think they’ve somewhat exhausted the focus on Superman as the main target of the villains in all three films and at this stage, I think they need to start making Superman the subject and not the main object of his plots. Because of that I don’t think I want Sam Lane or the Revenge Squad, if only because they are solely focused on Superman, and I think having Superman be the object of the villain’s pursuit actually obscures what Superman is actually about: defending other people. And as for Brainiac and Supergirl, my feelings are that MOS 2 can help set up a story with those two characters, rather than being that story itself.

My idea was the following (in spoilers tags to save space):

Superman’s been back in action for 4-5 years (depending on when the film comes out), saving people and stopping petty crime and major incidents. With new heroes and vigilantes around, he doesn’t face the same pressure he did before of being the world’s only savior. That has given him freedom to focus on the city he’s made his home: Metropolis. The grateful city has transformed Heroes Park from a broken, barren memorial of the past tragedy into a lush, thriving symbol of a brighter tomorrow. The story itself picks up with the rededication of the park, including a rebuilt memorial and a new Superman statue that stands tall in its own place.

The plot itself would kick off with the murder of Ron Troupe in Hob’s Bay by Intergang and the acquisition of the Daily Planet by Morgan Edge, CEO of Galaxy Communications who has also acquired the struggling LexCorp. Clark would investigate Ron’s murder as both Clark and Superman, and act to disrupt Bruno Mannheim’s Intergang, which is smuggling kryptonian, apokoliptan and other advanced weapons into Metropolis via Hob’s Bay. This would bring him into contact with the SCU (Turpin and Sawyer), Bo Bibbowski, Star Labs (Silas) and Atomic Skull (in this, a lead Intergang enforcer).

For the B plot, Lois would meet Jimmy Olsen and Cat Grant at Galaxy Comms, and would investigate Morgan Edge with Jimmy, which would put them in the crosshairs of John Corben (who is a cybernetically-enhanced ex-mil hitman in the employ of Morgan Edge, and the same man responsible for Ron’s death).

The two plots come together with the revelation that Edge and Mannheim are working together on Project Cadmus, which is an illegal program run by a former LexCorp scientist (Dabney Donovan) who is experimenting on Suicide Slum residents with Kryptonian DNA and tech (recovered from Doomsday and the Genesis Chamber) and Apokoliptan tech, including mother box fragments recovered from Russia. Both Corben and Atomic Skull would have come out of Project Cadmus. Edge’s goal is to replace Superman as the “Man of Tomorrow” by making himself a super-man, taking Superman’s place as Metropolis’s “hero,” and eventually ruling Metropolis by force (in essence, he wants to be Injustice Superman). In the end, Superman gets an assist from Cyborg and the SCU and takes on Metallo, Intergang and Morgan Edge.

The story would plant potential seeds for Steel, Superboy and Bizarro, while its ending would set up JL 2, particularly the scout ship’s return to the Arctic (and transformation into the Fortress), Lex’s secret reacquisition of his company (and the Cadmus files), and the crashing of a Brainiac scout in the middle of the ocean. It would also set up Darkseid for much further down the line (with Mannheim making contact with Desaad using a reconstructed mother box).

So my thing about Brainiac: I originally did want him to show up first in a Man of Steel 2, back when I thought BvS was going to be primarily about Superman pursuing Batman in Gotham because of his vigilantism. But since BvS doesn’t quite develop Superman as a hero who primarily fights for truth and justice in Metropolis, and since JL sets up Legion of Doom, I felt that it’d be better to have MOS2 focus on Superman as that Metropolis hero, while JL2 marks Brainiac’s debut in a story inspired by the Justice graphic novel.

One, I think that would set Brainiac apart from Age of Ultron, Man of Steel and even the Krypton TV show (the three stories I’d imagine to be most similar to a treatment about Brainiac attacking Earth and stealing cities).

Two, I think a JL 2 with the Legion and Brainiac would both match the scope of the threat Brainiac represents while also allowing him to still be Superman’s villain in the end (since the rest of the League will also have other “legionnaires” to fight).

Third, I think it could also help set up a MOS 3 with Supergirl (though I’ve gradually moved away from the idea of Brainiac as the villain of a story with Supergirl).

Last edited:
Question: how much of a backlash will it be if they made Supergirl a clone kinda like Superboy, if not is a sister to Superboy?

Because other than the obvious, the only other thing is a comparison/rip off criticism it would have with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver from the MCU.

What do you think?

It's not my #1 option, but I wouldn't hate a Superman vs. team of villains set up, which is appealing right off the bat as a pretty comicbook-y idea. You compile these relatively minor, obscure villains (to the GA) and offer them as a package deal. And in case they feel just a bit too lightweight, you have the scary notion of them having Luthor as leader. Plus, you really wanna see how they'd adapt Toyman and Parasite and those guys, visually.

Jimmy, yes. Give Supes a buddy to talk to besides his gf and mom, and make him a scrappy, badass, young and lanky dude. Bibbo, cool 90s throwback. Throw in the Suicide Slum while you're at it. I do think Brainiac can easily work separately from Supergirl, and that we might not need her just yet. I still need that film where we prove Superman can hold his own as an established super-protagonist, and that he can competently and intelligently deal with the mission... on his own. A movie not about Superman's cool extended mythology and supporting cast, but about Superman only. I'd love to see Kara introduced at some point for sure -- in the movie right after this one, if we're planning that far ahead. But I want that modern film where Superman is 1) established; 2) the only superhero on screen; and 3) not Superman Returns. Where you make the statement that he's great on his own, outside of an origin story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"