Infinity War Infinity War Box Office (poll is for the first film) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A:IW has caught and passed GotG2 daily domestic numbers from a year ago, despite being out a week longer. In other words, A:IW's first week of June is going to beat GotG2's first week of June, by about 7%.

I'd expect that percentage to increase slowly from here, but in any case it's a good gauge for what to expect this summer from A:IW. The comparison suggests we should expect about $7M this weekend.

Aquaman is releasing against Bumblebee and Alita, plus is releasing as part of the DCEU. I wouldn't be surprised if it only hits Phase 1 numbers.

I think Wreck It Ralph and Incredibles 2 have a good shot at blowing up.

Aquaman was disappointing, imo. He added nothing to the film, sadly.

I know right! He was a cardboard cutting who randomly uttered cheesy catch phrases.

The only redeeming moment was he sat on the lasso of truth.

It seems infinity war’s opening record in S. Korea didn’t last long.

$30 million more to hit $2 billion is pretty much a given at this point, but I get the feeling that $100 million more to dethrone The Force Awakens as the #3 highest grossing movie of all time is out of reach. Am I correct in that assumption? Or is $100 million more for Infinity War a possibility? It'd be neat if it actually succeeded in taking the #3 spot. That'd be the cherry on top of an already sweet cake.

It seems infinity war’s opening record in S. Korea didn’t last long.
Well, the only reason JW2 beat IW's opening day in South Korea was because it opened on a national holiday(Memorial Day) while IW opened on a normal workday, so it's kind of a hollow victory.

IW's 2nd day was over 2.5 times bigger than JW2's 2nd day. JW2 won't come close to IW's opening weekend or final total in South Korea.

Last edited:
The first Aquaman trailer needs to be amazing to have a chance at the box office. There's no hype outside of the fandom.

Incredibles 2?

I myself have never met a member of said fandom. Not knowingly anyway.

$30 million more to hit $2 billion is pretty much a given at this point, but I get the feeling that $100 million more to dethrone The Force Awakens as the #3 highest grossing movie of all time is out of reach. Am I correct in that assumption? Or is $100 million more for Infinity War a possibility? It'd be neat if it actually succeeded in taking the #3 spot. That'd be the cherry on top of an already sweet cake.

yeah i think it’s unlikely but hey, breaking $2 billion is one helluva accomplishment.

just when some people thought MCU and/or the Superhero genre has peaked, this movie broke records.

Fallen Kingdom opened on a holiday, it drop 81% on its second day :ninja:.

Yep.

So tantalizingly close, and yet so far. I think it's pretty safe to say, though, that Avengers 4 will definitely be pole vaulting over The Force Awakens. Titanic's record may be in danger, too. The hype for Infinity War was in the stratosphere and pushed its box office to the $2 billion mark. And with the way it ended, and Avengers 4 being only a year away, there's no way that the audience which came out to see Infinity War won't do the same for Avengers 4, and will likely do so in even greater numbers as word of mouth about Infinity War spreads, more people watch it on home video, and more people become invested in seeing how things are resolved after Infinity War. The hype machine which Marvel created for Infinity War was nuts, and now the hype machine for Avengers 4 will blast it right into orbit. There is simply no way that this movie will do less box office business than Infinity War. Absolutely no way. And if it can do $200 million more business, then it'll end up eating Titanic's lunch.

And the insane thing about that? Infinity War already made back its budget and the budget for Avengers 4. So every single dollar that Marvel Studios gets off Avengers 4 will be pure profit.

So tantalizingly close, and yet so far. I think it's pretty safe to say, though, that Avengers 4 will definitely be pole vaulting over The Force Awakens. Titanic's record may be in danger, too. The hype for Infinity War was in the stratosphere and pushed its box office to the $2 billion mark. And with the way it ended, and Avengers 4 being only a year away, there's no way that the audience which came out to see Infinity War won't do the same for Avengers 4, and will likely do so in even greater numbers as word of mouth about Infinity War spreads, more people watch it on home video, and more people become invested in seeing how things are resolved after Infinity War. The hype machine which Marvel created for Infinity War was nuts, and now the hype machine for Avengers 4 will blast it right into orbit. There is simply no way that this movie will do less box office business than Infinity War. Absolutely no way. And if it can do $200 million more business, then it'll end up eating Titanic's lunch.

And the insane thing about that? Infinity War already made back its budget and the budget for Avengers 4. So every single dollar that Marvel Studios gets off Avengers 4 will be pure profit.

depends how the story unfolds in a4. i know a lot of parents who brought their kids in A3 may not bring them to A4, since that movie ended in a depressing and dark note.

that demographic represents a good portion of IW’s box office numbers.

I doubt promotional, whatever it may be going forward has not been paid for yet.

I doubt promotional, whatever it may be going forward has not been paid for yet.

I'm guessing they've already made a profit even counting the money they haven't spent yet. Plus, don't forget the money they get from businesses that pay them for using "Infinity" or "Infiniti". Companies are probably lining up to pay Disney after these BO numbers. Double Plus, Disney does a lot of work in house so they're paying themselves so a lot of money stays in house.

I'm a total Star Wars freak, but, for the time being, MCU has supplanted SW as the gold standard. That changed really quickly. It could change again, but if A4 is of the same quality (and I have no reason to think otherwise), Marvel is going to be top dog (or cat, if you prefer) for the foreseeable future.

Do me one favor though....if some of the movies in the next phase don't hit 1.5 or 2B at the BO, don't talk to me about SuperHero fatigue....In fact, don't bother me with that silliness now.

depends how the story unfolds in a4. i know a lot of parents who brought their kids in A3 may not bring them to A4, since that movie ended in a depressing and dark note.

Those kids may be a little depressed, but in a year they'd want to see Avengers 4 anyway; they won't be able to stay away.

Fallen Kingdom opened on a holiday, it drop 81% on its second day :ninja:.

Well, It’s about bragging right. :)

In any case if I am to elect to see just one more movie in cinema this year (and save the rest when I fly or via home streaming), it would be more likely to be Jurassic. More so than antman which for some reason I’m not keen about. Sorry for the OT.

So every single dollar that Marvel Studios gets off Avengers 4 will be pure profit.

This? Is insane.:o

Last edited:

This is the same argument people used for why they thought that IW would have bad word-of-mouth and therefore bad legs. Almost $2 billion dollars later, we know that the downbeat ending did nothing to dampen the audience's enthusiasm for the film. A lot of those same kids and parents are going to see Jurassic World 2 this weekend, a movie whose predecessor was arguably a lot darker with its scenes of dino-on-human carnage. If seeing innocent people get ripped in half and eaten by dinosaurs didn't turn families off, people turning to ash probably won't, either.

I would thought that sea dinosaur jumping up eating a woman in the last Jurassic could be more traumatic for kids. But that’s just me.

I would thought that sea dinosaur jumping up eating a woman in the last Jurassic could be more traumatic for kids. But that’s just me.

I'm a grown man and I was utterly horrified by that. It was seriously disturbing the way they tortured that woman on screen.

Although that being said, plenty of people have far more emotional investment in the fate of Spider-Man or Black Panther than they do a British assistant whose name they can't remember.

A:IW has caught and passed GotG2 daily domestic numbers from a year ago, despite being out a week longer. In other words, A:IW's first week of June is going to beat GotG2's first week of June, by about 7%.

I'd expect that percentage to increase slowly from here, but in any case it's a good gauge for what to expect this summer from A:IW. The comparison suggests we should expect about $7M this weekend.

Ah, good to know.

Those kids may be a little depressed, but in a year they'd want to see Avengers 4 anyway; they won't be able to stay away.

Some adults may be a little depressed too. Just saying :cwink:

The first Aquaman trailer needs to be amazing to have a chance at the box office. There's no hype outside of the fandom.

Incredibles 2?

You re forgetting Mission 6 and Incredibles 2 which can beat Deadpool potentially.

Cars 3 only made $383M WW last year. Granted it was coming off a bad 2nd movie. The first Incredibles did make $633M back in 2004 so $700 WW might not be a bad bet. Not sure that's enough for top 5. Though this year it could be.

MI 5 made $682M WW 2 years ago that was less than the previous film. I'd say $682 is a safe bet but $675 might be better. Again not enough for top 5

Wreck it Ralph made $471 WW 6 years ago. I don't see it making much over $500 unless it really takes off Frozen style.

DP2 is sitting at 613 and may get beat by these but I still think Ant-Man and Fantastic Beasts are the only $800M + Movies potentially left.

Last edited:
Cars films are bad, the studio only makes them to sell toys/merch. I think you're underestimating Incredibles 2, the film brings together: nostalgia, animation and superheroes. In addition, it's a family movie.

Public is hungry for a good animated film.

Mmmm I don't think budget numbers include %'s some of the actors make with ticket sales - especially RDJ.

Regardless, Marvel Studios will rake a ton of money between the two films.

Cars films are bad, the studio only makes them to sell toys/merch. I think you're underestimating Incredibles 2, the film brings together: nostalgia, animation and superheroes. In addition, it's a family movie.

Public is hungry for a good animated film.
Yeah, I've not seen any of them. I had the impression they were lower quality for some reason.

Cars was a perfectly fine and okay movie IMO. Nothing special but not awful. Cars 2 looked awful and I never saw it. Maybe one day I will see it and Cars 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"