The Avengers The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's gonna be huge

Like I said, and have always said once reviews came in and it was clear Wheadon pulled it off

200 Million is the mark I see,

This is gonna be HUGE

Hours away from glory

I don't know about that 200 million mark for OW but I think it'll take in between 140-160mil. I think their's a little over estimating with fan boys for the box office numbers. I don't think it'll beat HP's OW record. You never know but I'm just happy it's doing well so far. We'll know tomorrow how it looks when it opens in the US

And this is 15 hours before the midnight screenings... $150M definitely possible.
Box Office Report: 'Avengers' Eyeing $150 Mil-Plus Domestic Bow, Hits $281.1 Mil Overseas

Joss Whedon's superhero mash-up officially kicks off the summer box office in North America, where it's outpacing all previous Marvel pics in advance ticket sales, including the "Spider-Man" movies.

Disney and Marvel Studios' The Avengers rolls out in North America at midnight Thursday after amassing a record-breaking $281.1 million at the foreign box office in only a week. The Avengers, which unites key Marvel superhero characters, is widely predicted to clear $150 million in its domestic debut; just how much more is up for debate. All agree it will kick off the summer season in style.

Avengers should finish the weekend with a whopping global haul of at least $550 million, considering it's also launching in Russia and China.
In North America, the movie is outpacing all previous Marvel films -- including the Spider-Man franchise -- in terms of advance ticket sales, as well as last year's Transformers: Dark of the Moon, according to online ticketing service Fandango.

well the European Audience is clearly far more interested in this then any of the individual films

It's gonna pass all and surpass all by 100"s of millions with ease

THe Hulk is BO poison??? Yikes, I guess Avengers is gonna tank here in the states? Well you're always gonna find someone out there who have to throw cold water on a party. Good to meet you.

My post was meant as a parody of all the doom & gloom posts that have been made in this thread for the past four months. I used the sarcasm smiley :-)o) so I thought you guys would know I was kidding.

Everything I wrote in that post has been said here ad infinitum by a small number of people who kept assuring the rest of us that The Avengers would be luck to make as much money as Iron Man. When anyone responded that the previous five films had made $2 billion, we were told that had no bearing at all on how much TA would make. And yes, both Hulk movies and even Captain America were held up as box office disappointments. I always disagreed with those arguments, even at the risk of being called a delusional fan-type-person. :woot:

I'm expecting between 150-160 mill opening weekend. With the openings in china, this thing is going to top 520 mill in 2 weeks.. thats just awesome

I'm gonna go 165mil opening...movie has a TON of WOM spreading

Just think what it will do when we get to Avengers 3? 200mil+ opening?

Not sure how the whole black thing figures in, myself being African, I personally couldn't care less. Story being brought on for both the first and the second begs the question of just how much creative control he had. Let's not kid ourselves here and act like he was in a Bret Ratner position(X3). If he was brought on simply as a shooter, he did poor job, one of his better moments being the trailer footage from FF2. The rest, no so much. In fact it often looked made for TV.

Story coming from Barbershop is precisely what I see in FF's failures. It lacked the real scope of the genre, it's focused on rather group banter set ups and i'll staged set pieces(see final bout). The casting aside, because Fox has never let a director of their genre material cast their own actors(I doubt this). I just don't think he was the man for the job. I'm of the mind that writers tend to get away scott free in these discussions, but even from a visual stand point he added nothing(I've seen better achieved with far less). He's more suited to these other projects that see him enjoying moderate success.

Lastly, I'm more interested in numbers then I am a film's ability to open and hold the top spot. That's almost always a matter of who it's opening and competing against. I doubt even Avengers could open at number one if a batman film was around(or vice versa). What James Cameron's films do with their numbers is amazing, but I'd love to see his films pull that off in the middle of the summer season(Nolan should have really gave a winter release a shot). He made a solid comedy that performed well(really well) with just about nothing else around to give it any real trouble. Just two weeks earlier and it probably wouldn't have been top anything. And of course two weeks later...Not taking anything away from it, if anything he does very strong work with that material.

As much as I'm not a fan of the MS approach(till now), Silver Surfer would be awesome in a Whedon built Avengers film.

Wow! Where do I start. First let me point out that I didn't call you personally out on anything. Race was a factor on these boards here. No where near as bad as the stuff people were posting at AICN but people made references of race and jokes on the boards here like Queen Latifah being cast as Sue or 50 Cent as the thing and hiphop music for the score. I'm not making this up. I've been a member on this site for about 10 years.

I'm black as well and racial comments sting ever more when it's viewed that a person of color some how is less then or that (in the case here) the movie was gonna be blackened up. I guess that means cultural references that is seen in films, music and media, especially ones that Hollywood has put out.

As for the look of the film, well Xmen, X2, DD and Elektra had a similar look and feel of a tv movie more then a theatrical release as well. I wouldn't call that a fluke I would call that as FOX being the problem and not the Directors since it was a different one for each film. I'm also but can't be a 100% sure but I believe all the Marvel comic films that came outta FOX had the same writer involved in all of them in some capacity, save for First Class and Wolverine I think.

You may be right, maybe Story is an inferior director and can only have some success with simple films like Barber Shop or Think Like A man. You know, Stuff that anyone off the streets can do, lol. I will say the guy isn't that old. I would like to see him given a chance on a big project where he has more control but I won't use stuff that comes outta FOX as a way to gauge his skills. The director Alex Proyas of I Robot complained about FOX and as long as that current brass is in charge he'd never direct a film from that studio, specifically FOX studio head Rothman.

In my opinion and I'm just speaking from my point of view but I've seen more turkeys and mediocre films come from FOX then the other major studios. I'm talking about films Ive seen and not everything as a whole. James Cameron has to much power to be hampered by FOX execs involvement. They give him free reign cause he's powerful enough to go to any studio and get whatever project he wants done. With that being said Cameron films weren't what thy are today when he first started. He worked hi way up to them and got better. He didn't just come in with awesomeness.

Well I believe "Think Like A Man" had some competition. That Zak Efron film let it be told from the experts was gonna be number 1 and the film with the best chance of taking the top spot away from Hunger games with an estimate of over 20 million, while Story's film was gonna pull in probably 12-14 million. I guess that didnt pan out like the experts predicted when it did 34 mil and had 2000 screen count compared to other films with over 3000 screen counts. Even the 2nd week it was predicted that with 4 new releases someone else was gonna be number 1 with Story's film taking a massive drop cause the urban audience seen it the 1st week, comparing it to the Tyler Perry films performance at the BO. Not sure what Perry has to do with Story, oh wait they both are black with films with a nearly all black cast. Guess that didn't pan out either. Should've seen the box office headlines. Most reported or the ones I read talked more about the slow B.O and Avengers doing well over seas with a small comment "by the way Think LIke A man" is number 1 for a second week.

It's all good though. We can agree to disagree. What were we talking about again?

Last edited:
Race was a factor on these boards here. No where near as bad as the stuff people were posting at AICN but people made references of race and jokes on the boards here like Queen Latifah being cast as Sue or 50 Cent as the thing and hiphop music for the score. I'm not making this up. I've been a member on this site for about 10 years.

Yep..i definitely remember this. Bad times man. This along with the Elba-Heimdall nonsense and Perry-White-laurence fishburne fiasco are probably three of the lowest points superhero forums have had. I couldn't believe some of the things i read.

My post was meant as a parody of all the doom & gloom posts that have been made in this thread for the past four months. I used the sarcasm smiley :-)o) so I thought you guys would know I was kidding.

Everything I wrote in that post has been said here ad infinitum by a small number of people who kept assuring the rest of us that The Avengers would be luck to make as much money as Iron Man. When anyone responded that the previous five films had made $2 billion, we were told that had no bearing at all on how much TA would make. And yes, both Hulk movies and even Captain America were held up as box office disappointments. I always disagreed with those arguments, even at the risk of being called a delusional fan-type-person. :woot:

Oh, well ok then. My view is no one ever knows what a film will do at the box office. Sure people can predict but until it comes out most can only guesstimate, including the so called experts.

You were responding to a Lion King video so I was hoping it might be obvious haha. Also noone understands (or there isn't cross board/forum agreement on the exact meaning of) the ":o" smiley so I've given up using it. :csad:

Wow! Where do I start. First let me point out that I didn't call you personally out on anything. Race was a factor on these boards here. No where near as bad as the stuff people were posting at AICN but people made references of race and jokes on the boards here like Queen Latifah being cast as Sue or 50 Cent as the thing and hiphop music for the score. I'm not making this up. I've been a member on this site for about 10 years.

I'm black as well and racial comments sting ever more when it's viewed that a person of color some how is less then or that (in the case here) the movie was gonna be blackened up. I guess that means cultural references that is seen in films, music and media, especially ones that Hollywood has put out.

well, just know my disinterest in him as a director has nothing to do with either the colour of his(our) skin or his cultural affinities. I happen to think a Fuqua type director would have produced a stronger product. And that's my point. Till this point all I've seen from story is comedies(and not set piece comedies either ala the hangover) and bad attempts at genre films. Fuqua, for all his missteps has not only produced some genre material, action and thrillers too. His villains in Training day and even Arthur were strong and menacing, the villains I've seen from Story are campy and fun. Then I look at Doom and I ask myself what's the common denominator...

As for the look of the film, well Xmen, X2, DD and Elektra had a similar look and feel of a tv movie more then a theatrical release as well. I wouldn't call that a fluke I would call that as FOX being the problem and not the Directors since it was a different one for each film. I'm also but can't be a 100% sure but I believe all the Marvel comic films that came outta FOX had the same writer involved in all of them in some capacity, save for First Class and Wolverine I think.

Bryan Singer(Superman Returns:doh:), Mark Johnson, Rob Bowman...Maybe you're right, maybe fox does seek out less visual directors for all their tent poles, I've never really noticed before...Though I do find the work of all three of those guys more visually exciting than Story's. Man I'll never forget the look of that entire motor cross scene in FF1. Straight up Vancouver.

Now Matt Vaughn, if he get's anywhere never FF it's going to be a great day for fans.

You may be right, maybe Story is an inferior director and can only have some success with simple films like Barber Shop or Think Like A man. You know, Stuff that anyone off the streets can do, lol.

Never said anything about his strengths being poor, if anything I said he's really strong at doing that rather difficult stuff. This stuff however he's really weak at...don't see how I can be any more clear.

In my opinion and I'm just speaking from my point of view but I've seen more turkeys and mediocre films come from FOX then the other major studios. I'm talking about films Ive seen and not everything as a whole.
Interesting statement, I'd like to see it put to the test sometime.

Well I believe "Think Like A Man" had some competition. That Zak Efron film let it be told from the experts was gonna be number 1 and the film with the best chance of taking the top spot away from Hunger games with an estimate of over 20 million, while Story's film was gonna pull in probably 12-14 million. I guess that didnt pan out like the experts predicted when it did 34 mil and had 2000 screen count compared to other films with over 3000 screen counts. Even the 2nd week it was predicted that with 4 new releases someone else was gonna be number 1 with Story's film taking a massive drop cause the urban audience seen it the 1st week, comparing it to the Tyler Perry films performance at the BO. Not sure what Perry has to do with Story, oh wait they both are black with films with a nearly all black cast. Guess that didn't pan out either. Should've seen the box office headlines. Most reported or the ones I read talked more about the slow B.O and Avengers doing well over seas with a small comment "by the way Think LIke A man" is number 1 for a second week.

Replace Zak Efron with Ryan Gosling or even Channing Tatum and let's see what would have happened. I don't mean to undermine the films achievements(tlam),it really speaks to it's audience and it was well cast for what it was. Kevin Hart is one of the hottest comedians working(unlike 3 years ago). But, like I said, holding the top spot in the climate it had really isn't all that, in my opinion.
That's funny that people didn't think it would do well, but that says absolutely thing about the film and more about the people saying it. I think Story does great work with THAT material(I enjoyed the first barber shop). But this here really isn't his game. He's had more than one chance at it. This will only become even more apparent when the new genre talent Fox hired to take over shows us what he's got.

I'd be very curious to see what Tim Story could do with a Bad Boys 3 position. That's neither hear nor there though.

It's all good though. We can agree to disagree. What were we talking about again?

Joss Whedon was met with mixed reactions around these parts. I remember being a loud voice for his involvement for the simple fact that he is of this genre. I don't think Story is, that's all.

Now if Whedon was on FF, I'm sure none of these problems would occur.

As for the outrage over colour casting around these parts, it's usually pretty petty, however what goes on behind the camera and in front of the camera are obviously very different things.

Good God!! Can someone please infuse this thread with new BO numbers? This discussion^^^ is getting tedious.

good god this always happens after a rebuttal.

100,000,000 billion billion dollars...
smiley face.

In 8 days of release, THE AVENGERS int'l total of $281M has already surpassed CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, and IRON MAN.

Has that been posted yet?

So it made about $20mish overseas yesterday.

Last edited:
The Avengers added another $20 million to its haul on Wednesday, bringing its global total to $281 million. It opens in Russia today, where one report states it has taken in $1.2 million from previews on 20 IMAX screens thus far. When today's numbers come out tomorrow we'll get an idea of just how strongly the film is performing in Russia, with the Chinese debut following North America on May 5th.

Marvel's The Avengers Reaches $281.1M Overseas in 8 Days

Source: Walt Disney Pictures May 3, 2012

Walt Disney Pictures and Marvel Studios announced this morning that Marvel's The Avengers earned another $20.6 million internationally on Wednesday, May 2nd. That puts the overseas total at $281.1 million so far.

In just eight days of release, Marvel's The Avengers has already passed the total international box office for Captain America: The First Avenger ($192 million), Iron Man ($267 million) and Thor ($268 million). Iron Man 2 earned $311.5 million internationally which the film will easily pass.

The action adventure opens in North America at midnight tonight!

I figured

Xeno haven't ever been a naysayer

but whoever that wiseman is/was

is stewing in his mistakes right now

well... myabe not

LOL

HOURS AWAY NOW

just hours

:wow:

I feel so jealous of everyone that will see the movie for the first time today.

But then again, I'm three screenings ahead of you, and going for my fourth viewing tomorrow, so... :p

You gotta remember that The Avengers is not really the sequel to five films from four franchises that earned over $2 billion at the global box office. It's actually a stand-alone film featuring characters that the GA really doesn't know or care about. Only Iron Man has had blockbuster success, and even he is a second-tier character at best. Hulk is better known but he's box office poison. So TA can't count on getting a boost from having six superheroes in one film. That's a fanboy fantasy. :o

LOL. Poeple will think you're talking seriously here.:woot:

I'm looking for North American opening weekend to see how good this films doing, something seems odd about all these international numbers.

above or below potter, we'll find out soon friends.

I think it's going over a billion. Might only be a dollar over, but its going over. Can't wait to see it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"