The Avengers The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Making Superman dark is probably the dumbest idea ever. It goes against everything that the character represents.

But there is nothing wrong with making a film about him a bit edgier and less corny.

This is exactly what I think they're doing with MOS, I don't think it's going to be "dark" per say.

As long as we don't have another Lex Luthor real estate scam...

haha yea, that plot gets kinda old.

I'm excited for MoS, if only for the action scenes. Snyder has a wicked imagination and is very creative with how he shoots action. And we've never really had a good Superman action scene.

Think Neo vs Smith in Matrix Revolutions... but probably 1000000x better.

Exactly, a little darker is fine. 'Dark' itself doesn't make sense for characters who are based on the opposite, unless you are going for an alternative one shot.

I'm excited for MoS, if only for the action scenes. Snyder has a wicked imagination and is very creative with how he shoots action. And we've never really had a good Superman action scene.

I'm hoping so. Before I stay comepletely off topic.

I'll guess The Avengers pulls in between 6 and 800 million worldwide.

I'll definitely watch all the MOS trailers and go see this movie if it is good, but as much as I like Nolan, I'll be a bit concerned if WB will try to make Superman to be more like Batman in terms of atmosphere and thematics. However, just like TDK changed the superhero landscape a few years ago, I could see The Avengers doing the same and impacting all the movies of this genre after its premiere, and it could affect MOS and people's expectations of this movie because TA has upped the ante for action and characterization within a superhero movie.

The Avengers will destroy Dark Shadows. No competition. That's the difference between an elephant and a flea. An elephant can have fleas but flea can't have elephants.

I agree on all counts, especially with the parts in bold. :word:

The Avengers will destroy Dark Shadows. No competition. That's the difference between an elephant and a flea. An elephant can have fleas but flea can't have elephants.

Um be careful! I wouldn't underestimate Dark Shadows. Tim Burton movies don't exactly flop. He's had a good run at the box office. I'm not saying it'll out do Avengers but It can quite possible be the cause of Avengers just being number 1 for one week.

Um be careful! I wouldn't underestimate Dark Shadows. Tim Burton movies don't exactly flop. He's had a good run at the box office. I'm not saying it'll out do Avengers but It can quite possible be the cause of Avengers just being number 1 for one week.

I don't underestimate DS, I just feel the its up against THE juggernaut of the summer (financially speaking). I would be shocked, ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED, if the Avengers is not a solid number 1 in it's second weekend.

Last edited:
I don't underestimate DS, I just feel the its up against THE juggernaut of the summer (financially speaking). I would be shocked, ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED, if the Avengers is not a solid number 1 in it's second weekend.

Me too.

Is LEX in the Snyder film at all? I've really not been paying attention to Superman news at all.

Not so far. If they could just do the character justice. Some Animated Series-like take on him. I thought Spacey was doing great... Until they revealed his endgame. It took away from a pretty good performance.

Avengers will be so big at box office, it will be first film to make 100 million in the SECOND weekend :woot:

Avengers will definitely be number one in box office until May 25th. Or at least in my opinion. The Dictator is going to pull in a crowd, but it's also rated R (I'm pretty sure). Battleship, I think that's going to flop in all honesty - I just hear snickers and laughs when that trailer comes up. Dark Shadows will give it a run for it's money, for sure, HOWEVER also keep in mind the reviews that 'The Avengers' is getting. Those who are on the fence the first week would go see it the second week due to word of mouth. If it was a good reviewed movie, alrighty - but from everything I'm hearing 'Avengers' is going to be critically & audience acclaimed. That kind of word of mouth? It's going to need a nuke to bring it down.

The success of Alice In Wonderland & Charlie and the Chocolate factory had far more to do with the fact they were Alice & Charlie, decades old beloved stories, than Depp & Burtons name.

I don't think Dark Shadows will be big, it looks like more of a niche audience thing, certainly not competition for TA.

Honestly, in the US I think The Avengers will steamroll over Battleship the buzz for which amounts to "eh, it's alright".

I'm a bit concerned but not too worried about The Avenger's competition in the month of May. I think it has a very good chance to be #1 for three straight week, or even four. I think the positive reviews, internet buzz, and WOM will all make this movie into a juggernaut at the box office and streamroll over the newer releases.

Without a doubt. TDK got it's box office for two things. The first, I'm going to sound like an ass and I'm sorry, but Heath Ledger's death raked in gold for WB - it turned what could have just been an awesome film into a cultural landmark "see Heath's last film." It's beyond creepy how that happened. But, people did see it for that reason. And then the SECOND thing it had going for it (which if reviews and WOM is any indication and nothing changes) 'Avengers' also has - one of the best films, not just superhero film, but one of the best films people have seen in a long time both critically and audience-wise.. THAT is the other reason that threw people into their seats it made "I've gotta see this Batman movie!" into "I have to see this awesome reviewed movie!" So we'll see similar performance, but not as high due to not having controversy.

Without a doubt. TDK got it's box office for two things. The first, I'm going to sound like an ass and I'm sorry, but Heath Ledger's death raked in gold for WB - it turned what could have just been an awesome film into a cultural landmark "see Heath's last film." It's beyond creepy how that happened. But, people did see it for that reason. And then the SECOND thing it had going for it (which if reviews and WOM is any indication and nothing changes) 'Avengers' also has - one of the best films, not just superhero film, but one of the best films people have seen in a long time both critically and audience-wise.. THAT is the other reason that threw people into their seats it made "I've gotta see this Batman movie!" into "I have to see this awesome reviewed movie!" So we'll see similar performance, but not as high due to not having controversy.

I agree the tragedy with Heath played a roll, but I think moreover TDK felt like an event film, and that's where Avengers feels very similar to me. Nothing really has been done like this, and now that the reviews are coming back glowing about this film, I think this will be the must see film of 2012.

Wheather it will break the record or not is hard to tell. It's released at a different time of year, than TDK/Potter 7, so the daily numbers will be lower with kids still in school and such, but I think it's as good of a bet as any. I fully expect it will outgross any of the Bayformers movies.

I think The Avengers will overperform. It feels like a true "event" movie, and like Tony Stark said -- TDK was the last truly big 'event' movie we got.

I'm starting to see the potential for 400 m domestic.

The hype for Avengers is starting to snowball.

I'm starting to see the potential for 400 m domestic.

The hype for Avengers is starting to snowball.

I just think the movie should be opened on 4/27, to capitalize on the hype. Right now, I think the interest is very strong, but American audience still have to wait another 2 weeks to see the movie. I just hope the hype will be maintained for this long because moviegoers can have short-term memories sometimes.

I agree the tragedy with Heath played a roll, but I think moreover TDK felt like an event film, and that's where Avengers feels very similar to me. Nothing really has been done like this, and now that the reviews are coming back glowing about this film, I think this will be the must see film of 2012.

Wheather it will break the record or not is hard to tell. It's released at a different time of year, than TDK/Potter 7, so the daily numbers will be lower with kids still in school and such, but I think it's as good of a bet as any. I fully expect it will outgross any of the Bayformers movies.

Hmmm, it only started to feel, like an event film after HL's death.

Sorry but HL's death really influenced that box-office take. It even made the performance seem more special than it is to those who liked it. I would say that HL's death added about $300 million to the WW gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"