Interstellar - Part 10

It really kind of sucked to be Tom, didn't it?

Murph is obviously daddy's little favorite, and then adult Tom kind of gets character assassinated as this bitter *******, and then never gets to see his dad come back, even though he was the one sending all the messages all those years.

Also, I guess we can assume he died by the end? When Coop comes to see Murph, did he ever even ask about Tom? lol.

The entire ending felt a but abrupt. He sees an old Murph, and then she just lays there and basically says, "alright, good to see you, but you gotta leave".

I did find the "no parent should have to watch their child die" bit to be very emotional (and true).

And yeah, I'm assuming Tom is dead by the end.

Tom is probably a ghost, tinkering with the life support system (via gravity) to make her die faster.

It really kind of sucked to be Tom, didn't it?

Murph is obviously daddy's little favorite, and then adult Tom kind of gets character assassinated as this bitter *******, and then never gets to see his dad come back, even though he was the one sending all the messages all those years.

Also, I guess we can assume he died by the end? When Coop comes to see Murph, did he ever even ask about Tom? lol.

I bet Cooper is not his real dad. :hehe: It definitely sucks to be just the brother of The Chosen One. :oldrazz: With just a few tweaks, they really should've just made Murph an only child IMO.

Tom is probably a ghost, tinkering with the life support system (via gravity) to make her die faster.

:lmao:

Last edited:
With just a few tweaks, they really should've just made Murph an only child IMO.

I'd agree with this. His character is pretty much irrelevant and it comes across like Coop doesn't even remember he existed by the end.

Eh, I think Tom's inclusion was justified. I liked the contrast between Tom and Murph. The brilliant scientific mind and the simple guy who just wants to be a farmer like pops and raise his family in the house he grew up in. Thematically he was the embodiment of the "caretaker generation" mentality that is clinging to the nest. Plus keeping him and his family in the old house as a clever way to generate some conflict for Murph when she's trying to get back to her room in the third act.

Not to mention, you basically would lose the entire video reaction sequence (the most powerful in the movie IMO) without Tom. The fact that Murph wasn't sending videos added to the emotional gutpunch of that scene.

Plus keeping him and his family in the old house as a clever way to generate some conflict for Murph when she's trying to get back to her room in the third act.

Personally, I didn't find it clever. Just very convenient. :oldrazz:

Not to mention, you basically would lose the entire video reaction sequence (the most powerful in the movie IMO) without Tom. The fact that Murph wasn't sending videos added to the emotional gutpunch of that scene.

That is an incredible sequence and I think the young version of him was given enough development. But his adult counterpart was not given enough to fully flesh him and his family out so the conflict that arises between him and Murph feels like it comes out of left field.

If Tom had not left Murphs room untouched,
She might never have discovered the truth.

Like kvz said though that's just plot convenience. Not the signs of a great character by any means but I'm not blaming Nolan as plenty of film use plot convenient characters at their disposal.

Batman vs Bane - Final fight (Interstellar edition)
[YT]watch?v=cXcpak8e-9s[/YT]
I love it.

Kinda impressed by the success of this. First time i saw it i felt it was so out there that never imagine it might by successful.

Along with Inception , he will have two of the biggest live action original properties in the last few years (along with Gravity and Avatar , if im not forgetting another). And with no 3d-tax.

I think he will have free reigns for quite a while.

Like kvz said though that's just plot convenience. Not the signs of a great character by any means but I'm not blaming Nolan as plenty of film use plot convenient characters at their disposal.

Yeah, I wasn't calling him a great character though, just that he was functional enough that writing him out altogether may not have necessarily improved the movie and could've even weakened it. The reason I said it was clever because it was a thematically driven subplot in a subtle way. The "enemy" in that scene is the guy who refuses to let go of the nest. Fits with the whole stay home/vs venture out theme of the film. That's why the conflict between him and Murph didn't feel left field to me, they had different ideals from the start.

I felt bad for Tom personally. He was just a simple man. He was probably born in the wrong era like his father, only he probably would've been better off as a farmer in the 1950s or something.

Last edited:
tumblr_neqneg6TRg1rmqnb5o1_1280.jpg

Kinda impressed by the success of this. First time i saw it i felt it was so out there that never imagine it might by successful.

Along with Inception , he will have two of the biggest live action original properties in the last few years (along with Gravity and Avatar , if im not forgetting another). And with no 3d-tax.

I think he will have free reigns for quite a while.

Will probably pass 700 million (its doing really well in China) really impressive

This movie is letting me know which of my friends are pretentious film "experts" who like to pick apart story structures and make comments about third act "flaws", then go on to say that Wes Anderson's the only person making meaningful films. I should've seen the signs when these friends were wearing fingerless gloves and scarves in the middle of July, but Interstellar has opened my eyes. There are some mother******* out there who are seriously full of ****.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"