Interstellar - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there a site where i can read the original Interstellar story. not the script just the short version?

thanks

For Gravity, a movie that should have been called Angular Momentum, the 3D gave a sense of orientation.

3D could have worked for the Tesseract given that Cooper was seeing a three dimensional representation of a four dimensional hypercube.

Might have worked for the spaceship shots.
Worked how though? Again, I don't see how it enhances what I am watching.

It was shocking. We saw like 10 twists and turns again like all Nolan films.

Worked how though? Again, I don't see how it enhances what I am watching.

Unless you can freaking interact with what you are seeing like a video game, i don't see the point of 3D. In one 3D works great, in the other is a 2d medium, created on a flat surface, you immerse yourself enough just being in the dark with a giant screen in front. Personally it doesn't add anything for me, unless is something rare like how to train your dragon

Unless you can freaking interact with what you are seeing like a video game, i don't see the point of 3D. In one 3D works great, in the other is a 2d medium, created on a flat surface, you immerse yourself enough just being in the dark with a giant screen in front. Personally it doesn't add anything for me, unless is something rare like how to train your dragon
Exactly. MY immersion is not based on interaction. It is on being in the theater. That is what the theater is for me. 3D is nothing but a distraction that can potentially spoil my movie going experience.

what did you think about the rotating action scene? i think it was one of the best. wide angles and long takes. fantastic buildup from Zimmer

Exactly. MY immersion is not based on interaction. It is on being in the theater. That is what the theater is for me. 3D is nothing but a distraction that can potentially spoil my movie going experience.

It has ruined it for me many times, fast action is just horrible with 3d, shaky cam is a nightmare. Not to mention a darker image and the lack of motion blur. I remember seeing years ago documentaries in IMAX , those are fun to watch in 3D i admit but 3d limits the way you plan a shot. Seeing your avatar with Cap 2, man im lucky i saw it in 2d. That action in 3D must be God awful.

I like Camerons work but he really was the beginning of all this 3D crap conversion, i don't know how it will fade away. Avatar 2 would have to crash and burn and that wont happen

It has ruined it for me many times, fast action is just horrible with 3d, shaky cam is a nightmare. Not to mention a darker image and the lack of motion blur. I remember seeing years ago documentaries in IMAX , those are fun to watch in 3D i admit but 3d limits the way you plan a shot. Seeing your avatar with Cap 2, man im lucky i saw it in 2d. That action in 3D must be God awful.

I like Camerons work but he really was the beginning of all this 3D crap conversion, i don't know how it will fade away. Avatar 2 would have to crash and burn and that wont happen

James Cameron is on record as saying that crap 3D is to blame for the public's attitude.

Neil deGrasse Tyson more or less gave this a thumbs up. He was Professor Buzzkill with Gravity lol.
That's cause Interstellar dealt with more abstract, theoretical stuff. Stuff that we've never experienced, but have proven is mathematically possible. That's exciting stuff. :awesome:

The stuff in Gravity COULD actually happen if we still had a space program....but the way it occurred on screen was actually quite impossible despite purporting to be relatively realistic. :funny:

We talked about this movie at work this morning. A lot of people have not seen it yet, including some in the supermassive black hole research group lol.

We joked that if they make a sequel it could be called Intergalactic. If they make a sequel to that: Intercluster.
:up: Well scientists are busy types, but I think the black hole research group would really get a kick out of seeing the thing they're studying in motion.

I saw this in IMAX and I only had some trouble with one bit. Aside from that, it was fine to me. :shrug:
It was fine for me too, and I ALWAYS have trouble catching dialogue. But Insterstellar was fine, even with Matthew McMumbly.

I wonder if it also has to do with where you're sitting in the theater. The IMAX theater/screen is pretty darned big, and the sound can carry different depending on the space.

what did you think about the rotating action scene? i think it was one of the best. wide angles and long takes. fantastic buildup from Zimmer
Loved it. Your mind tells you they are gonna pull it off, and yet there is tremendous tension. And yeah, Zimmer killed it. Maybe my favorite Nolan action sequence.

One of the things I hate most about 3D is that it has stopped me from being able to enjoy marathons at the theater, like for the MCU. Always in 3D. Can't sit through it. Would give me a massive headache and made me not want to watch the films. Then you films in IMAX, which are now most of the time it is IMAX 3D.

I love that Nolan finally addressed the whole "plot hole" phenomenon with his movies:

http://collider.com/christopher-nolan-interstellar-plot-holes/#more-370704

“To be honest, I haven’t read whatever holes people are trying to poke so I can speak to the validity of it. My films are always held to a weirdly high standard for those issues that isn’t applied to everybody else’s films—which I’m fine with. People are always accusing my films of having plot holes, and I’m very aware of the plot holes in my films and very aware of when people spot them, but they generally don’t. But what were some science issues people had with the film? That was Kip’s domain.”
I've been saying that for years. I'm glad he spoke up about it for a change. Granted, he seems to take in stride given that the main reason people mine his movies for "plot holes" is because they're so engaged with the material. Like Quentin said, it's almost as much fun if you find one than if you don't.

Last edited:
This is easily one of the greatest special effects shots ever made, I'm curious about how many CGI shots of comparable quality and significance people can name from the past thirty years.

ut_interstellarOpener_f.png

With that said, there is also a good case to be made for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and thus the Oscar race for best special effects will be very competitive and deservedly so, politics aside.

ETA: Do you guys understand why you can see the accretion disk from both left/right and top/bottom? It's pretty cool and at least for me, unexpected. One side is the "real" accretion disk, the other is gravitational lensing.

Last edited:
This is easily one of the greatest special effects shots ever made, I'm curious about how many CGI shots of comparable quality and significance people can name from the past thirty years.

With that said, there is also a good case to be made for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and thus the Oscar race for best special effects will be very competitive and deservedly so, politics aside.

ETA: Do you guys understand why you can see the accretion disk from both left/right and top/bottom? It's pretty cool and at least for me, unexpected. One side is the "real" accretion disk, the other is gravitational lensing.
When they enter it for the first time, no words. I was actually stunned. Wasn't expecting it.

I love that Nolan finally addressed the whole "plot hole" phenomenon with his movies:

http://collider.com/christopher-nolan-interstellar-plot-holes/#more-370704

I've been saying that for years. I'm glad he spoke up about it for a change. Granted, he seems to take in stride given that the main reason people mine his movies for "plot holes" is because they're so engaged with the material. Like Quentin said, it's almost as much fun if you find one than if you don't.
Completely with Nolan on that one. People complain about things in his film they clearly and unabashedly ignore in other films.

Gargantua was just jaw-dropping. I would (and will) pay 18 bucks just to see that in IMAX again.

Loved it. Your mind tells you they are gonna pull it off, and yet there is tremendous tension. And yeah, Zimmer killed it. Maybe my favorite Nolan action sequence.

One of the things I hate most about 3D is that it has stopped me from being able to enjoy marathons at the theater, like for the MCU. Always in 3D. Can't sit through it. Would give me a massive headache and made me not want to watch the films. Then you films in IMAX, which are now most of the time it is IMAX 3D.

If you get headaches from 3D then naturally you will feel different, personally I've never gotten a headache.

As for the sound mixing, I do have bad hearing. I hear decibels reasonably well, but I have an auditory processing disorder, kind of like dyslexia. So if there's a lot of noise and an actor who mumbles in a southern accent, I have trouble making out a lot of the dialogue. Interstellar and Noah were both difficult movies for me to listen to

And he is responsible for crappy 3D.

Not at all. He presented us with what was pretty much the best and most authentic 3D in recent memory. Studios trying to make a quick buck by post-converting their films to 3D are the ones to blame.

INTERSTELLAR has to win for best visual effects simply for this shot...PERIOD. Agree completely. It's one of the all time great visual effects shots/moments I've ever witnessed.

If you get headaches from 3D then naturally you will feel different, personally I've never gotten a headache.

As for the sound mixing, I do have bad hearing. I hear decibels reasonably well, but I have an auditory processing disorder, kind of like dyslexia. So if there's a lot of noise and an actor who mumbles in a southern accent, I have trouble making out a lot of the dialogue. Interstellar and Noah were both difficult movies for me to listen to
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. My entire family mumbles, including myself, so I am usually able to catch what is being said. But with that disorder, I can understand how hard it would be to try and catch a lot of dialogue in Interstellar.

3D is never necessary, and I thank God this film isn't in it. Would only blight is beauty of a film.

I prefer the brilliant, crisp picture to halving the image quality for nothing but a gimmick.I go to the theater to watch films, not to interact. I go to the theme park for that.
Every time I've watched a film in 3D it's been a waste of the extra money and lowered the image quality, and in IMAX somehow taken away the impact of having such a large screen. That is apart from the 3D in Avatar where it was nearly all about adding serious depth to the images, amazing for panoramic shots. The fact that films since have charged extra for their crappy non comparable and gimmicky 3D feels like a fraud to cash in on the excellence of Avatar's 3D. I'm pretty sure Alice in Wonderland in particular being the 1st major post-Avatar release benefited hugely from releasing when it did.

Some plot holes with the film.

1) Why is the worm hole placed near Saturn?
Because Saturn looks really good in IMAX :-)

Some actual scientific problems I have, which don't actually bother me:

2) Is terraforming these other planets really easier than terraforming Earth back to normal?
Probably not, whatever.

3) Why doesn't the heat from the black hole accretion disk fry Cooper and TARS as they fall in?
I'm not sure.

4) The heat and light for these planets comes from the black hole accretion disk, just like the heat and light the Earth comes from the Sun. That's not a great option for colonisation. Whereas the Sun is stable over hundreds of millions of years and thus allows consistent weather, black hole accretion disks are known to be extremely variable, and thus the planets would have wild temperature fluctuations.
Might not be a problem due to gravitational time dilation.

Somebody wrote something competent on the website:

It's not a plot hole, it is explained in the film. At the end of the movie, Cooper travels away from the orbiting space station to meet up with Brand, who is still in the other star system implementing plan B, which is where he left her after ejecting himself into gargantua. The plan B human embryos that Brand is fertilizing for colonization are the future humans that advance enough to place the wormhole near Saturn in the past to save their fellow humans from extinction.

Not at all. He presented us with what was pretty much the best and most authentic 3D in recent memory. Studios trying to make a quick buck by post-converting their films to 3D are the ones to blame.
He made the quick buck viable.

The wonderful thing is that what we see there IS mathematically possible to look like that. That's the amazing thing about it. I loved reading about space and black holes as a kid, because I would imagine what it would be like to experience one. Interstellar brought that to life for me. :yay:

I also liked the exchange, "It's impossible." "It's necessary."

That just about sums up the entire film (and human ingenuity/perseverance) in those two lines. :funny:

Some plot holes with the film.

3) [BLACKOUT]Why doesn't the heat from the black hole accretion disk fry Cooper and TARS as they fall in? [/BLACKOUT]
I'm not sure.
Spoiler tags, man! :argh:

But yes, that was actually something they wrote into the original script.

One of the other scientists goes crazy (cause they didn't have Dr. Mann, one of them had to go crazy, I guess...) and insists on going through the black hole with the data probe himself. Cooper realizes only the probe will survive, and escapes with his life while the other scientist takes the probe and the shuttle...and burns up immediately. As with Cooper's suspicions, only the probe survives the black hole and the trip back to earth. The probe is what he and young Murph originally find at the beginning of the script.

Apparently Kip Thorne convinced him that it was mathematically possible for a very special kind of [BLACKOUT]black hole[/BLACKOUT] to be traversable the way it's shown in the film.

Every time I've watched a film in 3D it's been a waste of the extra money and lowered the image quality, and in IMAX somehow taken away the impact of having such a large screen. That is apart from the 3D in Avatar where it was nearly all about adding serious depth to the images, amazing for panoramic shots. The fact that films since have charged extra for their crappy non comparable and gimmicky 3D feels like a fraud to cash in on the excellence of Avatar's 3D. I'm pretty sure Alice in Wonderland in particular being the 1st major post-Avatar release benefited hugely from releasing when it did.
I didn't watch Avatar in 3D, so I cannot comment. But I completely agree with the rest of your post. :up:

I also liked the exchange, "It's impossible." "It's necessary."

That just about sums up the entire film (and human ingenuity/perseverance) in those two lines. :funny:
I pumped my fist a bit at that line. It was all kinds of badass. :word:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"