Interstellar - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people in the hype are critical enough not to reach those extremes

It's half way there with the reactions of people here with anyone that says anything bad about the science of this movie lol

I would say that's relative to what movie you're seeing.

Or you are just overreacting with this movie ? Its a simple enough plot for anyone 2 understand. The how things happen can be what people like or dont. People can not not like this movie you know

All films have flaws, Interstellar wasn't going to be an exception. But what is really sad, is people worldwide preferring to watch crap like Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean, mediocre superhero movies, etc. If people were less shallow, then movies like Interstellar would be the ones at the top of the BO, not TF4.

All films have flaws, Interstellar wasn't going to be an exception. But what is really sad, is people worldwide preferring to watch crap like Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean, mediocre superhero movies, etc. If people were less shallow, then movies like Interstellar would be the ones at the top of the BO, not TF4.

Thanks 2 the Trailers & TV Spots focusing on the drama of the movie & not the spectacle. I can see a lot of the general audience going by reviews for this one before seeing it & the way the advertising was done might not be in this movies favor. We will find out soon enough what the results are

Caught Interstellar last night in 35mm.

I hold off on my full thoughts about the film and specific points until more people have gotten the chance to see it but I'll give my initial overall reactions for now.

I will start off by saying that I greatly enjoyed the film. It scratched a certain science fiction itch that I've had for a while and I was not disappointed in it. I got what I expected, which was a Chris Nolan with everything, for good or ill that that entails.

This movie is one of the best space adventure films that we've had in many, many years. For all of the comparisons to 2001, Apollo 13 or The Right Stuff are better comparisons in terms of tone and aesthetic.

The film feels like in taking on the project Nolan was really trying to push himself beyond his usual supposed emotional limitations. In some regards, I think he succeeds. The first half of the film, introducing McConaughey's character, his children and the central conflict of survival are very strong in this regard. Mostly this comes down to the interaction between McConaughey and young actress Mackenzie Foy, who plays Murph. Foy is damned great in this movie... and the movie loses a lot when it leaves her behind.

Jessica Chastain simply can't compete, and be it due to her acting or the writing in the later earth sequences, I couldn't help feel that with some re-arrangement, most of her scenes could have been easily jettisoned.

As the movie moves into its later half or so and into space it has a damned hard time with characters. Most of those involved in the space mission simply aren't. They aren't even given the bare personality afforded to the ancillary Inception crew. Hathaway's character has a bit more life to her but we aren't really given enough context or development for her character.

That stands for the humans at least. The robots, as odd as their design is, are damned great. It is so odd to see so much current discussion of Nolan's supposed humorlessness with these two in the film. I'll leave my comments on them to that.

While I do feel that my space exploration scratch has been itched, I really wish Nolan would take Eame's advice to Arthur in Inception. and not be afraid to "dream a little bigger." While the film has a lot of sections that don't really seem to add much to the film, or re-cover the same ground (there are 3 or 4 recitations of the same poem), the film doesn't seem to take enough time to let the audience really enjoy the outer space setting. I'm not saying I wanted Star Trek: The Motionless Pictures levels of majestic bloat but a bit more time just really establishing the setting would have been nice. Or if else instead of majestic beauty, Nolan feels that space is a place of darkness and death, well that wasn't really sold either.

If I have any disappointment with the film its that in a film where the plot and theme deal so much with the need to explore other planets, the planets they choose to show are pretty damned bland. A major reason for this is that I am bored to tears with Planet Iceland. After Prometheus, Oblivion and even Thor: The Dark World and Game of Thrones, I feel that the black rocks and icy crags of Iceland are played out as an alien environment. This film relies heavily upon them. Though we are shown other planets, the 2 main ones have the same icey grey aesthetic. One is indeed covered in water with mountain high waves, but much as the folding city in Inception, Nolan finds a way to make that all feel quite mundane. It doesn't help that with the dimensionless characters in the latter half the film, the drama presented by the waves is near nil.

The other planet, less watery, more fully Planet Iceland is none less similarly near grey-scale. In the context of this movie alone, and especially among the general cinematic landscape, this planet isn't particularly visually exciting.

I'll delve into more later but this movie has an odd problem where its most exciting set pieces scenes and even some of its most human-feeling characters are actually quite distracting from the main plot and take up precious time in a damned long movie. I don't mind them being there, as again they're some of the best this movie has to offer but as the film moves into its final third, it starts tying much more into to the earliest parts of the film and the ensuing gap between them might lessen the impact for some.

I think the film's endgame, the reveal, will be the most divisive part of this film. I will go on record saying that I really enjoyed it. It's the kind of semi-abstracted high-concept but emotion driven writing that I really enjoy from a lot of 70's science fiction stories and Grant Morrison's comicbooks. I think Nolan found an effective way of presenting his ideas on film He's more successful with his higher concepts in about 15 minutes than other filmmakers, say Aronofsky with The Fountain, have been in entire movies.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie a lot. The best way I can describe this movie is that it is filmmaking out loud. Nolan and co. have brought about and extremely well crafted and often emotionally moving adventure. The movie comes with a lot of Nolan's off cited faults, but also feels like him consciously moving past others. It is a trip worth taking on the biggest screen you can find.

7/10

That's yet to be seen, but Nolan's last 3 movies, Inception included have been among the top grossing movies of their respective years.

Or you are just overreacting with this movie ? Its a simple enough plot for anyone 2 understand. The how things happen can be what people like or dont. People can not not like this movie you know

No need to be rude, I never said people couldn't dislike the film. I simply think its a film that needs to sit before final judgment, whether that final judgment ends up being more negative than positive. This isn't exactly the newest iteration of Transformers, it attempts to tackle a lot of different concepts and thematic elements that are more complex than your standard film.

If you don't like the film, fine. No skin off my back.

The score is pretty good but really felt like Zimmer's best attempt at being Phillip Glass, with mixed results.

If people were less shallow, then movies like Interstellar would be the ones at the top of the BO, not TF4.
oLvpP8E.gif

No need to be rude, I never said people couldn't dislike the film. I simply think its a film that needs to sit before final judgment, whether that final judgment ends up being more negative than positive. This isn't exactly the newest iteration of Transformers, it attempts to tackle a lot of different concepts and thematic elements that are more complex than your standard film.

If you don't like the film, fine. No skin off my back.

But the whole you gotta see this movie more then once is silly. Its not a complicated plot 2 understand & the general audience seeing this wont care if the science is real or fake

But the whole you gotta see this movie more then once is silly. Its not a complicated plot 2 understand & the general audience seeing this wont care if the science is real or fake

I never said this was why they should see it more than once.

Look, it's fine you disagree with me. I just feel like people shouldn't be so quick to love or hate the film, and I know I'm planning on seeing it again before I come to a conclusion.

Don't mind donut, he's the resident Nolan-fanboy hater with the intelligence of the confectionery he named himself after.

Honestly, I'm surprised at how dense the movie still is on the science side, they dumbed it down, but I'm not sure how palatable it's going to be with the general audience.

Also, most beautiful & emotional movie I've ever seen, there's a lot throughout, but one moment in particular, one simple moment with a very simple concept is absolutely heartwrenching.

Making the most money is never the sign of the best content. Let's not forget that movies are entertainment and people want to be entertained. Sometimes that means going to see giant robots and explosions, favorite actors as pirates and superheroes brought to life.

Don't mind donut, he's the resident Nolan-fanboy hater with the intelligence of the confectionery he named himself after.

You can disagree with a poster's opinion all you want...but when you start calling them names or personally attacking them because of it you catch my attention. Please don't do that again.

Gotta be honest, sight unseen, this is easily Nolan's most divisive film just based on reactions I've read.

I have no idea what to expect Saturday night. I really don't. Thrilled but scared at the same time.

I have found it interesting reading the reviews of the posters who have seen it. The reviews seem to be overall postive which is good.

I'm still not going to read a single review until I've seen it. Getting pretty psyched for it. There's been so many movies out that I've been looking forward to. I've been spending a lot more time at the theater recently.

Even if you don't like it (I can see why the third act could be problematic for some), you cannot be insensitive to the incredible visuals, the fantastic score, McConaughey's incredible performance, the insane scale & ambition of it and it is so emotional.

Even if you don't like it (I can see why the third act could be problematic for some), you cannot be insensitive to the incredible visuals, the fantastic score, McConaughey's incredible performance, the insane scale & ambition of it and it is so emotional.

4 days out and I'm still glad I have no idea what this infamous 3rd act holds. Proud of myself...yet, I'm terrified what it might be.

I thought I knew what to expect with INSTELLAR based on Nolan's previous 8 films and my love for his brand of cinema. Now? Not so sure anymore.

Excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back