Interstellar - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
She has to set up the stuff for the embryos to grow in. They don't show it at all (and they gloss over the "surrogacy" talk very quickly), but I presume there's stuff on Endurance that's made to do it.

So she has to get the tents all set up for that happen, which is what we see at the end. Doesn't mean that the colony has been there all that long, or that there are scores of human children/teenagers waiting there for her. :funny:

Ah, duh! See, I've only seen the movie once and my mind is already playing tricks on me. I could've sworn we saw other people there, but all we see is tents! Thanks!

She has to set up the stuff for the embryos to grow in. They don't show it at all (and they gloss over the "surrogacy" talk very quickly), but I presume there's stuff on Endurance that's made to do it.

So she has to get the tents all set up for that happen, which is what we see at the end. Doesn't mean that the colony has been there all that long, or that there are scores of human children/teenagers waiting there for her. :funny:
Thats what i thought, too.
Glad that I got it right .

The sound mixing was so contradictory. Why stuff your film with exposition then make it hard to hear? Is this another challenge Nolan? Huh?

I think it was Matthew McConaughey accent. For us non english speakers its bloody hell when he mumbles (there is a lot of exposition mumble in this flick), if it weren't for subtitles you couldn't understand a lot . Plus the sound mixer just abused the score, it was insanely loud in some parts, making anything else very difficult to hear. I will have to listen to the tracks later to review the score properly, but as usual lately with zimmer we don't have a theme. I think its a good sign when you can whistle the score for days after, i cant remember one track worthy of that in this movie, i hope for BvS the works more on his melody's and less ambiance

Neil deGrasse Tyson more or less gave this a thumbs up. He was Professor Buzzkill with Gravity lol.

Saw this movie on Saturday. I really liked it. It was great seeing an intelligent film. Too bad Hollywood doesn't make as many of these movies as they should.

I love Christopher Nolan.

I usually understand overall complaints, but honestly don't get it this time. Is it a slight bit over sentimental? Yes. But the movie earns 99% of its sentimentality.

The premise is very basic, but I adore the approach. Cooper is a father, a pilot, and an adventure. The film never loses that. There is something really powerful about that for me.

- The entire cast is very good, but this film definitely belongs to McConaughey, Chastain and Hathaway, and I think they were all great.

- Love TARS. Won't forget him soon.

- The sequences around Gargantua are some the most visually stunning I have ever seen.

- The score is very good and very different for Zimmer. It invokes without overpowering. Beautiful really.

The final few shots of the film are some of my favorite. A mixture of hope, beauty and coolness that is befitting of the entire film.

Cooper and TARS suiting up and stealing a ship, while Amelia "starts over", while still waiting. I know he will find her.

I think it was Matthew McConaughey accent. For us non english speakers its bloody hell when he mumbles (there is a lot of exposition mumble in this flick), if it weren't for subtitles you couldn't understand a lot . Plus the sound mixer just abused the score, it was insanely loud in some parts, making anything else very difficult to hear. I will have to listen to the tracks later to review the score properly, but as usual lately with zimmer we don't have a theme. I think its a good sign when you can whistle the score for days after, i cant remember one track worthy of that in this movie, i hope for BvS the works more on his melody's and less ambiance
If any film invites ambiance, it is Interstellar. To fault the score here is to honestly not understand the film or the filmmaker's intention.

The sound mixing is awkward however. The score wasn't abused, but the film is very front loaded, meaning that you lose out on surround sound. I think Nolan's intention was for the sound to be coming only from the screen. It can definitely make the film hard to hear, though I felt it worked brilliantly in space. On Earth, I agree it was a bit of a struggle. I feel for those without the best ears. You will definitely miss a fair bit of dialogue imo.

We talked about this movie at work this morning. A lot of people have not seen it yet, including some in the supermassive black hole research group lol.

We joked that if they make a sequel it could be called Intergalactic. If they make a sequel to that: Intercluster.

Neil deGrasse Tyson more or less gave this a thumbs up. He was Professor Buzzkill with Gravity lol.
he talked a lot about hair in zero gravity in Gravity 2013. did he say anything about it for Interstellar?

i think Interstellar did to much good for Tyson to complain. for example all the main characters are scientists and engineers. half of them women.

Again, bear with me for I'm on my cell phone and can't utilize spoiler tags.

DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE SPOILERS BELOW:

In the black hole, will anyone have a different experience compared to Cooper??

I mean if we go in, i'm assuming we will NOT see a book shelves of time of all Murphy's time frames.

I think who ever gets in they will bring their own individual time line.

Or is it all about Murphy, for she is destined to figure out the calculations to save the people from earth??

If any film invites ambiance, it is Interstellar. To fault the score here is to honestly not understand the film or the filmmaker's intention.

The sound mixing is awkward however. The score wasn't abused, but the film is very front loaded, meaning that you lose out on surround sound. I think Nolan's intention was for the sound to be coming only from the screen. It can definitely make the film hard to hear, though I felt it worked brilliantly in space. On Earth, I agree it was a bit of a struggle. I feel for those without the best ears. You will definitely miss a fair bit of dialogue imo.

I understand that this needed ambiance, but i don't know im more of a Williams, Giachinno kinda guy, i like full melody orchestras but that's just my taste. It was a very good score don't get me wrong, but i like when there is an overall theme , i didn't catch one here but its a minor complain.

For some strange reason in animation Zimmer goes really melodic, like Kung Fu Panda and Lion King , and POC has some great themes. I guess its a directors choice in the end, i don't think Nolan likes themes at all

Why? 3D would have actually been cool in some parts, for example the tesseract.
I prefer the brilliant, crisp picture to halving the image quality for nothing but a gimmick.I go to the theater to watch films, not to interact. I go to the theme park for that.

he talked a lot about hair in zero gravity in Gravity 2013. did he say anything about it for Interstellar?

i think Interstellar did to much good for Tyson to complain. for example all the main characters are scientists and engineers. half of them women.

He actually praised it for having all the main characters be people of science and engineering and he's right, no-one is 'along for the ride' as it were.

I prefer the brilliant, crisp picture to halving the image quality for nothing but a gimmick.I go to the theater to watch films, not to interact. I go to the theme park for that.
I get that 3D is often used in a dim manner.

But I'm saying that there were some shots here for which 3D could have worked.

It worked for Gravity.

Again, bear with me for I'm on my cell phone and can't utilize spoiler tags.

DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE SPOILERS BELOW:

In the black hole, will anyone have a different experience compared to Cooper??

I mean if we go in, i'm assuming we will NOT see a book shelves of time of all Murphy's time frames.

I think who ever gets in they will bring their own individual time line.

Or is it all about Murphy, for she is destined to figure out the calculations to save the people from earth??

Well Tars found it too, but at the end it was removed.

I understand that this needed ambiance, but i don't know im more of a Williams, Giachinno kinda guy, i like full melody orchestras but that's just my taste. It was a very good score don't get me wrong, but i like when there is an overall theme , i didn't catch one here but its a minor complain.

For some strange reason in animation Zimmer goes really melodic, like Kung Fu Panda and Lion King , and POC has some great themes. I guess its a directors choice in the end, i don't think Nolan likes themes at all
I love John Williams. He is one of my idols, and created 4 of my favorite scores ever, including my all time favorite. Binary Sunset is my favorite piece of music. Giacchino, the Incredibles. I honestly don't need to say more.

That being said, that style wouldn't have fit Interstellar. It is a different kind of film that requires a different type of score. The music needs to invoke a sense, a mood more then creating a catchy, swelling theme.

He actually praised it for having all the main characters be people of science and engineering and he's right, no-one is 'along for the ride' as it were.

Are there astronauts along for a ride? the only ones i could qualify like that were Bruce Willis and his gang in Armageddon . Most of us will probably be scared like **** just to even fly in one of those things, let alone travel dimensions, better leave it to qualified people

I get that 3D is often used in a dim manner.

But I'm saying that there were some shots here for which 3D could have worked.

It worked for Gravity.
Worked for what though? I don't see how 3D suddenly helps the story telling or makes the images more amazing then they already are. My heart skipped a beat when they entered the black hole. I don't think 3D would have enhanced that. If anything, it would have away from it.

Worked for what though? I don't see how 3D suddenly helps the story telling or makes the images more amazing then they already are. My heart skipped a beat when they entered the black hole. I don't think 3D would have enhanced that. If anything, it would have away from it.

For Gravity, a movie that should have been called Angular Momentum, the 3D gave a sense of orientation.

3D could have worked for the Tesseract given that Cooper was seeing a three dimensional representation of a four dimensional hypercube.

Might have worked for the spaceship shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"