Interstellar - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tapley hinted that the reviews will be mixed. Also, I think someone from JoBlo said that (some) the online critics are readying their pitchforks so yeah I think 3 star and below reviews are coming. And then of course, there's the NY critics... :funny:

Yeah a film like this is always going to be mixed. By the sound of things I'm afraid of getting a really overly ambiguous ending.

Was at a hackathon in Hollywood today and managed to catch the premiere at Graumans. :funny: Pics when I get home.

Also managed to do the Oculus Rift experience, so was pretty cool. :awesome:

And then when I got out of the theater, cops were swarming around the outside of the theater because one guy was beating on another guy. :o

Was at a hackathon in Hollywood today and managed to catch the premiere at Graumans. :funny: Pics when I get home.

Also managed to do the Oculus Rift experience, so was pretty cool. :awesome:

And then when I got out of the theater, cops were swarming around the outside of the theater because one guy was beating on another guy. :o

You saw the movie?

You saw the movie?

No, saw Nolan and co coming in for the premiere. Had no idea it was today.

Although I thought it might be when I saw them setting up a carpet in the morning on my way to the hackathon.

Oculus Rift Interstellar experience was at CityWalk, one Metro stop over. So I figured why not.

Last edited:
Variety will be giving it a negative review.

1414340046758.png

1414340411000.png

Last edited:
Very anxious and nervous about the reviews. Pleaseeeee be good.

Very anxious and nervous about the reviews. Pleaseeeee be good.

Who cares man it's a Sci-Fi movie, it's supposed to be polarizing if it's good. I'm guessing it'll wind up somehwere in the 80s on RT, but even if it's lower, how does that change your enjoyment of it?

That Variety tweet sounds spoilery with that Chastain comment... :hmm

For each of us , the only reviews that truly matter will be our own.

I agree but I never got people who moan about reviewers either.

Just stick to the ones that have the same taste as you. Simple.

I agree but I never got people who moan about reviewers either.

Just stick to the ones that have the same taste as you. Simple.
I agree with that .
But, sometimes if the negative reviewer describes a story that I like,
I will go anyway .

Variety will be giving it a negative review.

1414340046758.png

1414340411000.png

Not entirely sure if Variety itself will be giving it a negative review. He works for Variety but it does not appear that he is one of their official film critics. I can't find any reviews by him posted on Variety's website. He will be posting the negative review on Letter Box D.

Interestingly enough, he has no other reviews listed on Letter Box D and he lists his favorite film as 2001. Strange that he is popping up on there just to review Interstellar and not any other movies. Maybe he was just really looking forward to it due to the 2001 influence. I feel sorry for anyone who might be expecting something on that level. Nolan is not in Kubrick's league.

Not entirely sure if Variety itself will be giving it a negative review. He works for Variety but it does not appear that he is one of their official film critics. I can't find any reviews by him posted on Variety's website. He will be posting the negative review on Letter Box D.

Interestingly enough, he has no other reviews listed on Letter Box D and he lists his favorite film as 2001. Strange that he is popping up on there just to review Interstellar and not any other movies. Maybe he was just really looking forward to it due to the 2001 influence. I feel sorry for anyone who might be expecting something on that level. Nolan is not in Kubrick's league.
How many "official" critics does Variety or any other movie trade have? And do they send just one to a movie premiere/advanced screening? I've always wondered about that. What if they send one person and he/she didn't like the movie but had they sent another person, the latter did actually like the movie? :confused:

How many "official" critics does Variety or any other movie trade have? And do they send just one to a movie premiere/advanced screening? I've always wondered about that. What if they send one person and he/she didn't like the movie but had they sent another person, the latter did actually like the movie? :confused:

That happens more often than we probably realize. Reporters can have very different views from the publication's actual critic or critics.Mr. Ketchum appears to be more of a reporter than film critic for Variety.

Ketchum's Twitter account called Guardians of the Galaxy one of the worst movies he has seen in 2014. His view did not represent Variety, which gave Guardians a positive review written by Scott Foundas.

I agree with that .
But, sometimes if the negative reviewer describes a story that I like,
I will go anyway .

I have a group of critics I agree with. Therefore if they dont like something I know maybe to skip it if I'm already hesitant. A group of critics I dont agree with just to boost to chances of me liking it :D and a group of "top" critics cause I'm always interested in how my favorite films are received.

Premiere is done

CT3D ‏@CoreyBTurner 2m2 minutes ago
#Interstellar is f$&king AMAZING! You have to see it and see it in #imax if you can! Now it's time for the premiere after party!

SHEY ‏@Lakergirl_247 3m3 minutes ago
We watched a Special Advanced Screening of @Interstellar at Paramount Studios today and it was amazing!���� #Interstellar #1iotaBeThere

djJASMAN ‏@djJASMAN 4h4 hours ago
#Interstellar private screening. Thanks to #paramountpictures for the invite. Great movie and the ending was awesome!

Last edited:
I hope we can keep the optimism alive in here if the RT score tomorrow isn't as high as expected. A few thoughts to keep everything in perspective...

1. The hard science won't be every critic's cup o'tea.
2. Nolan himself isn't every critic's cup o'tea.
3. Lest we forget the ringing endorsements from world-class talent like PTA, Edgar Wright, Rian Johnson and Brad Bird?
4. Who gives a sh** what a few critics think? The movie is here next week...we will soon have the pleasure of getting to make up our own damn minds.
5. The very things that might sour some on the movie (astrophysics concepts figuring heavily into the plot, complex narrative that may benefit multiple viewings, etc.) are likely the very things that are going to make most of us love the movie.
6. Films that have been polarizing when they were released (many of them sci-fi) often go on to become widely considered as classics.
7. Do you really want this to be a totally "safe" film that everyone generally 'likes' until the enthusiasm fizzles out? (*cough Gravity cough*) Or a film that people feel passionately about?
8. If you're still in need of reassurance, most of all the pre-release hype has been EXTREMELY positive.

I guess I'm dreading the embargo lift a little...not because of some mixed/negative reviews, but because of the way people react to that. The last thing I want to see is another incident with critics receiving death threats. It's that kind of behavior that is A. pathetic and embarrassing, and B. likely a factor in why certain critics are eager to bust out their pitchforks and knock Nolan's films down a peg.

I've been saying this for a while, but I think the themes and ideas in this movie are just so big and exciting that it'd be a real shame for the resulting discussion to get marred in such petty BS. IMHO.

Last edited:
I guess I'm dreading the embargo lift a little...not because of some mixed/negative reviews, but because of the way people react to that. The last thing I want to see is another incident with critics receiving death threats.

Hopefully that kind of stuff doesn't happen. People should be able to disagree without resorting to that. Besides, the people who haven't seen a movie don't really have any room to talk.

Tapley hinted that the reviews will be mixed. Also, I think someone from JoBlo said that (some) the online critics are readying their pitchforks so yeah I think 3 star and below reviews are coming. And then of course, there's the NY critics... :funny:

Have we yet to get any scores reviews that will go up on RT? What kind of score do you think this movie will get on RT? If you average Nohls movies I think they are like a 84 on RT.

Exactly. I think Interstellar is going to be something special.
I Agree.
I pride myself on knowing how I am going to respond to a movie months in advance .
I think we all have movie instincts .
We KNOW how this is going to turn out, we just do .

I hope we can keep the optimism alive in here if the RT score tomorrow isn't as high as expected. A few thoughts to keep everything in perspective...

1. The hard science won't be every critic's cup o'tea.
2. Nolan himself isn't every critic's cup o'tea.
3. Lest we forget the ringing endorsements from world-class talent like PTA, Edgar Wright, Rian Johnson and Brad Bird?
4. Who gives a sh** what a few critics think? The movie is here next week...we will soon have the pleasure of getting to make up our own damn minds.
5. The very things that might sour some on the movie (astrophysics concepts figuring heavily into the plot, complex narrative that may benefit multiple viewings, etc.) are likely the very things that are going to make most of us love the movie.
6. Films that have been polarizing when they were released (many of them sci-fi) often go on to become widely considered as classics.
7. Do you really want this to be a totally "safe" film that everyone generally 'likes' until the enthusiasm fizzles out? (*cough Gravity cough*) Or a film that people feel passionately about?
8. If you're still in need of reassurance, most of all the pre-release hype has been EXTREMELY positive.

I guess I'm dreading the embargo lift a little...not because of some mixed/negative reviews, but because of the way people react to that. The last thing I want to see is another incident with critics receiving death threats. It's that kind of behavior that is A. pathetic and embarrassing, and B. likely a factor in why certain critics are eager to bust out their pitchforks and knock Nolan's films down a peg.

I've been saying this for a while, but I think the themes and ideas in this movie are just so big and exciting that it'd be a real shame for the resulting discussion to get marred in such petty BS. IMHO.
I really liked Gravity.
I thought Cuaron deserved the Best Director Oscar .

For a group of people who like to say they don't care what others say, a lot of you seem to care what other people say. :funny:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"