Interstellar - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still not going to read a single review until I've seen it. Getting pretty psyched for it. There's been so many movies out that I've been looking forward to. I've been spending a lot more time at the theater recently.

I've gone to see more movies at the theater this year than I can ever remember. Chronological order:

Captain America 2
Amazing Spider-Man 2
Godzilla
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Guardians of the Galaxy
Gone Girl
Dracula Untold
Nightcrawler

Still to come:
Interstellar
Hunger Games 3
Birdman

I normally see only a few movies in the theater each year, so 2014 must be some kind of record for me. It has been a dream year for movie nerds.

Even if you don't like it (I can see why the third act could be problematic for some), you cannot be insensitive to the incredible visuals, the fantastic score, McConaughey's incredible performance, the insane scale & ambition of it and it is so emotional.

It makes me wonder if some fan out there after this comes out on Blu-Ray will edit out the drama stuff & make this more of a space epic movie & focus on that

Oh no no no no no no, hell no, the drama "stuff" is the emotional core of the movie, unless you're a cynical person that's going to roll their eyes anytime there's something sincere & heartfelt, I don't see why you would. I've always thought of Nolan's movies (and I'm a huge fan) as somewhat emotionally cold & distant (not without emotion though, far from it), but here, there's a HUGE heart and that's what (imo) great movies have at their core.

Movies that aren't afraid of wearing their heart on their sleeves, or afraid of being emotional without it being corny. Interstellar is never corny, it's incredibly sincere, Matt McConaughey's performance makes that even more of a reality, one moment in particular (you'll know) is just astounding, it's not acting, it's simply being.

The third act, nobody will see coming I think, it's so unexpected, although I did expect something
metaphysical in a way
and god, what a thing of beauty.

Love, focus on that word: love.

Oh no no no no no no, hell no, the drama "stuff" is the emotional core of the movie, unless you're a cynical person that's going to roll their eyes anytime there's something sincere & heartfelt, I don't see why you would. I've always thought of Nolan's movies (and I'm a huge fan) as somewhat emotionally cold & distant (not without emotion though, far from it), but here, there's a HUGE heart and that's what (imo) great movies have at their core.

Movies that aren't afraid of wearing their heart on their sleeves, or afraid of being emotional without it being corny. Interstellar is never corny, it's incredibly sincere, Matt McConaughey's performance makes that even more of a reality, one moment in particular (you'll know) is just astounding, it's not acting, it's simply being.

The third act, nobody will see coming I think, it's so unexpected, although I did expect something
metaphysical in a way
and god, what a thing of beauty.

Love, focus on that word: love.

Exactly...I expected
something to do with the mother...but I think the emotion was definitely put aside some in the third act to take that extra leap into a part of science and relativity that has been theorized, but no one has physically or could even possibly fully understand. However, Nolan does so much investing in the relationship between Murph and Coop that I think he felt enough was done that the scene in the black hole and bedroom would kind of drive itself.

That's yet to be seen, but Nolan's last 3 movies, Inception included have been among the top grossing movies of their respective years.

The point is, it deserves being higher than garbage like Transformers and other movies. Unfortunately, people prefer dumb over substance.

@stlblues: actually, I thought that although there is that
leap of faith (that I love, the representation of that fifth dimensional space is mindblowing, and something I would love knowing that it exists), the emotion was still everywhere, seeing Cooper trying to communicate with Murph through morse code, reliving those moments as if in a bank of memories, trying to tell himself to stay, not to go, and then telling Tars that his love for Murph is quantifiable & is physical & solid right in front of him. Just incredibly beautiful

Tim_Riggins:

I'm with you 100%

I'm basically going off of what I have heard from my coworkers this morning who saw it last night.

I, personally, loved that entire sequence and felt the love was everywhere. It probably didn't strike quite the same chord with me because I am not a father or parent. I don't think you need to be one to enjoy this film, but I think it certainly resonates.

I also need to see it again because in my theatre (and this is one of my few knocks on the technical aspects of a Nolan film) you can hardly hear dialogue at times...and sometimes it's really important dialogue. I actually don't even think I heard Coop's line about love being quantifiable and physical.

I will say this, I got home around midnight and spent at least two hours googling fourth and fifth dimensional space...something I, too, had lost interest in years ago when real life took over. If anything, I loved the film for that. It reinvigorated my desire to look up at the stars.

Glad that you mentioned this about Interstellar, because I've thought the same of Nolan's movies so far too, they've just never made me "feel" anything emotionally. Now I really want to see it even more. :)

The point is, it deserves being higher than garbage like Transformers and other movies. Unfortunately, people prefer dumb over substance.
Inception was an original film that made 825mil and TDK and TDKR made over a billion dollars worldwide. Nolan is not a struggling director, people see his films. What more do you want?

Inception was an original film that made 825mil and TDK and TDKR made over a billion dollars worldwide. Nolan is not a struggling director, people see his films. What more do you want?

And despite Inception's success, is only 41 at the All Time Box Office with Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2 and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen over it: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/?pagenum=1&sort=wwgross&order=DESC&p=.htm

Humanity is doomed! We don't deserve a new home! Joking aside, maybe someday people will have better taste, who knows.

And despite Inception's success, is only 41 at the All Time Box Office with Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2 and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen over it: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/?pagenum=1&sort=wwgross&order=DESC&p=.htm

Humanity is doomed! We don't deserve a new home! Joking aside, maybe someday people will have better taste, who knows.
Or maybe you can accept that people have different taste in films, remove the fanboy cap and realize that just because every Nolan film doesn't hit a billion doesn't mean that he isn't one of the most successful directors around?

It is so not going to be pretty in this place come Monday.

123.gif

Glad that you mentioned this about Interstellar, because I've thought the same of Nolan's movies so far too, they've just never made me "feel" anything emotionally. Now I really want to see it even more. :)

This movie is extremely emotional, but it's also overwhelming. For me, a lot of it hit me on the drive home. It's powerful.

I think sometimes people are looking for an immediate reaction with movies and when they don't have it they get frustrated.

This movie...you might need to let it swirl around in your brain and your heart for a bit. You need to let yourself catch up with it, and then you get that exquisite "aftertaste". But it's all there. I always say that my measure of a good movie is if I'm still thinking about it the next day when I wake up. Well, Interstellar passes that test with flying colors.

I honestly think all this quibbling about Nolan and whether this film or good or not is so small, compared with what can be had by actually engaging with this movie the way great Sci-Fi is meant to be engaged with. I think to simply dismiss this movie would be a shame though. My friends and I are having some amazing conversations on Gchat right now. I really can't wait to see it again.

Last edited:
Or maybe you can accept that people have different taste in films, remove the fanboy cap and realize that just because every Nolan film doesn't hit a billion doesn't mean that he isn't one of the most successful directors around?

:nono:

I accept the fact that people have bad taste, otherwise bad movies like Transformers would flop or make a lot less money. And I'm not a Nolan fanboy at all, TDKT has plenty of flaws, but that's another topic. And of course he's one of the most successful directors, he really deserves it, more than a Michael Bay for sure.

I've been hearing not so great things about this film, but the only person that can determine whether it is good or bad for myself is me.

It is weird though considering every single Nolan film is generally praised or well liked beforehand.

The reviews have been mostly positive. I think what's throwing some people off are the early twitter reactions that I try not to listen to anymore.

These postive reviews do look odd in the face of the masterpiece and frontrunner for best picture Oscar talk weeks ago.

Last edited:
Still got to see it a second time on Saturday, but I sure as hell am calling it a masterpiece at the moment. I don't see how you could just see the movie and be like "meh". It's what bothers me these days, there's too much of: it's either great or it sucks, when it's a sum of many things.

Well, saying "meh" isn't saying the movie is great or sucks, it's just saying it was ok.

It's what bothers me these days, there's too much of: it's either great or it sucks, when it's a sum of many things.

This. X1000.

People are in far too much of a rush to slap a label of quality on things. This has the potential to be an enduring piece of science fiction. It needs time to be digested.

It's okay to not be sure how you feel about something. I wasn't so sure last night and I'm still very much in need of a second viewing.

This was probably Nolan's best film....holy ****ing **** this was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"