Interstellar - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be honest, grasping what Black Holes may look like has always been tricky for me and the text books I've read rarely show illustrations that make a lot of sense. It still does my head in that these things are possible but seeing how it could look makes comprehending it easier.

Any thoughts on how and why Rotten Tomatoes considers this to be Christopher Nolan's worst film? This film has scored a 73%, the critics believe this to be Nolan's worst film, with The Prestige being his second worst film.

I submit the following hypotheses, without evaluating which is the most probable one, some are included for comedy:

1) Years of Christopher Nolan being massively overrated by fifteen year-old boys the world has exasperated critics, and they're letting off steam with Interstellar.
2) The movie is too complex for the critics; they interpreted the use of a closed timeline curve as a "plot hole".
3) The movie is not too complex for them, they get the science, they just don't care and are not interested in seeing new worlds and seeing rotating black holes and seeing tesseracts. They don't want to hear about gravitational time dilation, they'd rather hear more about Murphy.
4) Topher Grace showed up and reminded them of Spider Man 3 and Predators.
5) The critics are offended by the politics of the film, and the whole idea that Earth's climate might go to **** and be rendered inhabitable to humans, and when they heard the line of dialogue about the moon landings being faked they thought it was an endorsement of the 9/11 "truth" movement.

So I see Paramount is back to their old tricks. Classy.

Do you think this will make profit? it wont have a sequel so in the end, final gross wont matter much, but i think studios will invest even less in non franchise from now on. I respect the fact that Nolan did the work he wanted, but there were issues in the final product that the audience didn't respond to, and i would say the length of the movie was one of them

If this is Nolan's perceived worst film, then he's a very, very good director indeed.

So I see Paramount is back to their old tricks. Classy.
I know it's basically too well-established to change, but the system for tallying/reporting box office has always seemed pretty stupid to me. Paramount's antics over the last year have really highlighted why.

Do you think this will make profit? it wont have a sequel so in the end, final gross wont matter much, but i think studios will invest even less in non franchise from now on. I respect the fact that Nolan did the work he wanted, but there were issues in the final product that the audience didn't respond to, and i would say the length of the movie was one of them

Yes, it'll make a profit but it won't be the kind of profit Nolan films have gotten used to. His last 3 films all were huge. This movie may wind up doing only half of the least of those(Inception at $825m WW). I could easily see Interstellar failing to cross the $500M WW mark. But all it needs to break even is to end north of $330m WW so they'll still probably make $100m in profit from this after all is said and done.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on how and why Rotten Tomatoes considers this to be Christopher Nolan's worst film? This film has scored a 73%, the critics believe this to be Nolan's worst film, with The Prestige being his second worst film.

I submit the following hypotheses, without evaluating which is the most probable one, some are included for comedy:

1) Years of Christopher Nolan being massively overrated by fifteen year-old boys the world has exasperated critics, and they're letting off steam with Interstellar.
2) The movie is too complex for the critics; they interpreted the use of a closed timeline curve as a "plot hole".
3) The movie is not too complex for them, they get the science, they just don't care and are not interested in seeing new worlds and seeing rotating black holes and seeing tesseracts. They don't want to hear about gravitational time dilation, they'd rather hear more about Murphy.
5) The critics are offended by the politics of the film, and the whole idea that Earth's climate might go to **** and be rendered inhabitable to humans, and when they heard the line of dialogue about the moon landings being faked they thought it was an endorsement of the 9/11 "truth" movement.
Everyone has their opinions. They are allowed to vary, though I do think some of this is clear blacklash to Nolan in general.

Doesn't change my opinion. I am in love.

If this is Nolan's perceived worst film, then he's a very, very good director indeed.
Damn straight.

By the way AnneFan, what was more breathtaking. The entering of the wormhole, or that final shot of Anne? :hubba

I know it's basically too well-established to change, but the system for tallying/reporting box office has always seemed pretty stupid to me. Paramount's antics over the last year have really highlighted why.

Disney doesn't have the same issue. They're pretty much always on the money since they care little for headline games. They just had GotG cross $330m this weekend. They projected it yesterday to do so with less than a $10,000 margin. Any other studio would be thought to have fudged their projections to make it look better in a Sunday night/Monday morning news article in the trades, but not Disney. Turns out they actually were right on the ball.

So if they can do this then why can't Paramount? All the Puerto Rico-ing and that ruckus with the TF4 OW gross that most called BS on. They are the poster child for playing with projections for their own benefit rather than just trying to be accurate.

Last edited:
By the way AnneFan, what was more breathtaking. The entering of the wormhole, or that final shot of Anne? :hubba
The final shot, of course. When Cooper detached from Brand, and we didn't see or hear about her for a long time, I was wondering like mad what happened to her. I really wanted to see Cooper meet up with her ala The Shawshank Redemption, because the last we see of Brand she's comprehending an endless lonely existence. But alas, I know that's where Cooper's heading. Great that she closed out the movie.

Or maybe it is just Nolan's weakest film since Insomnia? Maybe the emotion can be overly hamfisted and sentimental at times. Maybe the cool physics aren't as effectively used as they could be to tell an engaging story? I mean just because you and some others here disagree with the critics, it doesn't mean that they are wrong and there is some sort of agenda or rationale behind their reviews besides their honest appreciation of the merits of the film.

The final shot, of course. When Cooper detached from Brand, and we didn't see or hear about her for a long time, I was wondering like mad what happened to her. I really wanted to see Cooper meet up with her ala The Shawshank Redemption, because the last we see of Brand she's comprehending an endless lonely existence. But alas, I know that's where Cooper's heading. Great that she closed out the movie.
Completely agree. I was afraid the film abandoned her for second.

Then Murph saved the day. The final shots of the old pilot going out to find his partner are so powerful imo. Brought me back to Mann's words about the longing to see another human's face. Not a bad Eve. :)

Or maybe it is just Nolan's weakest film since Insomnia? Maybe the emotion can be overly hamfisted and sentimental at times. Maybe the cool physics aren't as effectively used as they could be to tell an engaging story? I mean just because you and some others here disagree with the critics, it doesn't mean that they are wrong and there is some sort of agenda or rationale behind their reviews besides their honest appreciation of the merits of the film.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Including those that feel it all worked beautifully.

Damn, a new iteration of this thread. But I wanted to quote someone who said that Zimmer didn't have a main theme for this film. I just want to say that is flat out untrue. There is a very audible main theme played during pivotal emotional scenes in the film. It is the teaser music.

Disney doesn't have the same issue. They're pretty much always on the money since they care little for headline games. They just had GotG cross $330m this weekend. They projected it yesterday to do so with less than a $10,000 margin. Any other studio would be thought to have fudged their projections to make it look better in a Sunday night/Monday morning news article in the trades, but not Disney. Turns out they actually were right on the ball.

So if they can do this then why can't Paramount? All the Puerto Rico-ing and that ruckus with the TF4 OW gross that most called BS on. They are the poster child for playing with projections for their own benefit rather than just trying to be accurate.
I feel like Disney and the other studios play by the rules and keep it honest because there's always been some assumed accountability there, and lately, Paramount's been showing how much that's really not the case. They're potentially setting a dangerous precedent, and it wouldn't be surprise me at all if some other studio doesn't follow suit in the near future when all the pressure in keeping their shareholders happy for their fiscal year depends largely on one major release hitting some magic number.

Last edited:
On another Box Office note, Interstellar brought in a whopping $14.1 million in South Korea- higher than Dark Knight Rises. Apart from the US numbers, I would say Internationally, the BO numbers are roughly in-line with expectations.

The soundtrack not being out yet is criminal. :cmad:

How is the wom for this thing?

Can't speak on behalf of South Koreans, but over here (in Singapore) it's relatively good. East Asia will definitely outperform relative to other markets based on the Korean numbers (as do most Sci-Fis)- WB def. got the much better deal.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Including those that feel it all worked beautifully.

Yep, which is why it gets annoying around here when people attempt to validate their own opinions by suggesting that differing opinions are invalidated by some of internal bias or agenda or incapability to understand the film.

Yep, which is why it gets annoying around here when people attempt to validate their own opinions by suggesting that differing opinions are invalidated by some of internal bias or agenda or incapability to understand the film.
I think it is fair to distinguish. With Nolan I don't think it is unfair to say there are plenty who are biased towards him and review his films in that frame of mind. But of course the majority come at it from a far more neutral place.

There's plenty of bias on both sides when it comes to Nolan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"