Interstellar - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I I loved Interstellar because it was;
1. Hard Sci-fi
2. A fantastic character study
3. Visually stunning

I find it sad that this year you have totally generic movies hit the 90's in Rotten Tomato and a movie I found genuinely moving and thought provoking barely scrape into the 70's on Rotten Tomato. Whatever, people like what they like. All I will say is don't complain when even more generic blah movies swamp Hollywood because that is what the masses are flocking to see. People vote with their wallets and Hollywood will make more of the most popular movies.

Last edited:
I I loved Interstellar because it was;
1. Hard Sci-fi
2. A fantastic character study
3. Visually stunning

I find it sad that this year you have totally generic movies hit the 90's in Rotten Tomato and a movie I found genuinely moving and thought provoking barely scrape into the 70's on Rotten Tomato. Whatever, people like what they like. All I will say is don't complain when even more generic blah movies swamp Hollywood because that is what the masses are flocking to see. People vote with their wallets and Hollywood will make more of the most popular movies.

yeah people just have different approaches what they want from a movie. And its all good that most just wanna have a good time and drive home..
People like us, who write here obviously care more about plot/characters/subtext/effects etc.. but we're way outnumbered..

I mean I look forward to what the next Chris Nolan or Rian Johnson project might be.. but I have friends who dont know who these people are and they look forward to the next jason statham movie :D

The 80's were amazing to that you were getting a new high concept movie pretty much every month. All that is happening now is those movies are now being remade because Hollywood has run out of my ideas. So when movies come along that try to do 'more' they should be embraced.

Priest is one man, but he's just one of several lines of evidence I posted, and of course there are a lot more. As such dismissing that particular line of evidence on the basis that it's just one piece of evidence is unfair in my opinion.

Nolan like all known directors has critics take in baggage (good or bad) prior to every movie. I'm sure Nolan would have it no other way as he gets more positive than negative baggage, lol.

So I stand by my prior analysis: long term evaluation of Interstellar will inpart depend on the quality of Nolan's subsequent movies.

Fair enough.

Did Priest and Nolan have a falling out?

It sounds like he has beef with Nolan or maybe using Nolan's popularity to gain attention for a book or project he has coming out.

From his latest blog post: http://www.christopher-priest.co.uk/journal/2498/the-stars-my-mutteration/

Here's what he had to say about Inception:

This was particularly true of Inception, which had one of the worst-written scripts I have come across. I winced at its clumsiness several times while watching it – a later look at the shooting script confirmed the clodhopper style was not my imagination. (Christopher Nolan was credited as writer.)

He also accuses Nolan of ripping off the novel A Dream of Wessex.

Here's a real complaint he had about Interstellar:

Anyone knows the reality. The ‘surrounding noise’ of space is silent. Space is a vacuum – it is incapable of carrying sound. How Hans Zimmer’s loud music can be heard in space is a mystery only Nolan can explain.

:whatever::whatever::whatever::whatever::whatever:

That comment on Interstellar is beyond stupid.

From his latest blog post: http://www.christopher-priest.co.uk/journal/2498/the-stars-my-mutteration/

Anyone knows the reality. The ‘surrounding noise’ of space is silent. Space is a vacuum – it is incapable of carrying sound. How Hans Zimmer’s loud music can be heard in space is a mystery only Nolan can explain.

post-39532-Charlton-Heston-laughing-gif-I-YSt4.gif

6rznl7y.gif
cQ5wlrf.gif

Did Priest and Nolan have a falling out?

It sounds like he has beef with Nolan or maybe using Nolan's popularity to gain attention for a book or project he has coming out.

Here's what he had to say about Inception:

He also accuses Nolan of ripping off the novel A Dream of Wessex.

:whatever::whatever::whatever::whatever::whatever:

....Can't really take anything he says seriously after reading that.

Frankly Priest sounds like he's just bashing Nolan to get attention for himself.

It may have been brought up but didn't Priest give nothing but praise for the Prestige?

He says Memento and The Prestige are the only Nolan films that he likes. He hates his bigger films, thinks they're garbage.

Oh well. Guy comes across like a bitter old snob.

Saw this for a second time...in true IMAX this time...I loved it even more this time.

Once you understand the science and time elements they're working off of, you can really devote your time to the story...which suddenly has less holes because the science is really tight.

BTW, I also now noticed right at the beginning that Murph says [BLACKOUT]"I though you were my ghost." to Coop[/BLACKOUT]

Also, the score was fantastic...still gripped my chair at the docking scene. I also could understand more dialogue...which is odd hearing the IMAX gripes (although I saw it at the Arclight on the Tuesday before it opened...and I think the score blew their speakers out it was so loud.)

Anyway...I had this at 8.5/10 after first viewing...it's 9.5/10 now...and will likely be my second favorite Nolan film (after TDK)...but that's slightly biased since Batman is my favorite comic.

^ But Rises tried to do something more than just being a comic book story which would normally ends in "the hero lives to fight another day"... and look at the reactions to it that it got.[/QUOTEwell, the hero did live at least .
at best it was a tweak on the way a comic book movie ends .

I look forward to seeing how Interstellar is viewed by the public at large ten years from now .

Last edited:
I do agree with Tacit about Interstellar being more organic with its emotional angle. That said, I wouldn't go as far as to say that Inception came to a screeching halt when it delved into Cobb's issues. The scene where Cobb is pleading with Mal not to jump is pretty devastating, and I had more sympathy for Cobb after that scene. The kids were a plot device, but I did root for Cobb to get back home to them. Not as strongly as I rooted for Cooper to get back home, but Inception was definitely more emotionally gripping than most heist/action films so I'm glad for whatever contributions Leo may have made there.

Overall though, I'm leaning towards Interstellar being the better film at thmoment.
It would be interesting to see what your opinion would be if Interstellar were released a few years ago and Inception were in theatres right now .

That's a pretty appropriate reaction to such an odd quote...I'm not sure if Priest was trying to be tongue-in-cheek, but if that's the case, he failed miserably. I don't even know what to say to that.

I mean.. he called Inception one of the worst written scripts he came across...
sorry but that guy is a joke...

The 80's were amazing to that you were getting a new high concept movie pretty much every month. All that is happening now is those movies are now being remade because Hollywood has run out of my ideas. So when movies come along that try to do 'more' they should be embraced.

There were a lot of great movies in the 80s but also a lot, a lot of complete crap. The chaff falls away in time.

I will say though, that Priest is wrong in terms of the character Nolan used for that trilogy. You couldn't do that with anyone else but Batman. The Punisher would be the other one. You can't do that approach with Spider-Man or Green Lantern or The Flash. If that were the case, Priest would be 100% right. Nolan would've made a mistake.

But we got the TDK Trilogy not because Nolan decided to take something silly and impossible and turn it into something real, we got it because Batman is unique and you can easily set him in the real world with total realism, because it is possible for the fact that he's a human being. When people make fun of this and criticize "realism", and "dark and gritty", they're really making fools of themselves because it's SPECIFICALLY Batman you can do that with, no one else.

The criticism is completely warranted when those phrases are thrown around for Fantastic Four and Spider-Man, which they were.

So, for the record, Priest has a point, but I really do NOT agree with him overall.

You CAN do that with Batman, but that doesn't mean you have to or that it is the approach that will resonate the most with the audience or be well received.

The focus on realism also is self-detrimental once you try to have your cake and eat it too. It only calls more attention to the heightened aspects of the film and story. A focus on making a a more "practical" Batsuit calls attention to the impracticality of the Joker's clockwork-perfect-yet-impossible plans.

The focus on realism also is self-detrimental once you try to have your cake and eat it too. It only calls more attention to the heightened aspects of the film and story. A focus on making a more "practical" Batsuit calls attention to the impracticality of the Joker's clockwork-perfect-yet-impossible plans.

Since he’s not Batman’s physical equal, Joker - necessarily - has to be on the same intellectual level. So his “clockwork” schemes are in the same tradition as other fictional/genius villains (like Professor Moriarty or Hannibal Lecter). Implausible? Perhaps. But I don’t think Joker is made more plausible with a less realistic Batman.

It would be interesting to see what your opinion would be if Interstellar were released a few years ago and Inception were in theatres right now .

Well, that depends doesn't it? If Interstellar and Inception are the same films my reaction to the films would still be the same.

But if you consider Nolan's growth as a filmmaker, perhaps Interstellar 2010 wouldn't work as an emotional story, and perhaps I would actually care about Cobb's plight in Inception 2014. If something like that happens my opinion would be reversed.

Last edited:
Since he’s not Batman’s physical equal, Joker - necessarily - has to be on the same intellectual level. So his “clockwork” schemes are in the same tradition as other fictional/genius villains (like Professor Moriarty or Hannibal Lecter). Implausible? Perhaps. But I don’t think Joker is made more plausible with a less realistic Batman.

Its not so much about the realism itself but the focus on the details. When the movie spends so much time establishing the skyhook plan, the logic of batman's suit etc it calls more attention to the more absurd elements. The movie thinks through a lot of things, which leads a lot of people to start thinking through other elements. In a more heightened reality such criticisms don't really matter. "You don't question how Icarus' wings attach to his body," as Aronofsky says of more fantastic stories. But with the focus on details applied to certain elements, it becomes fair game to apply that same logic to other elements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"