Iron Fist Iron Fist SEASON TWO Discussion Thread (NO SPOILER TAGS NECESSARY!)

Really enjoyed this season - particularly towards the end, really looking forward to either a Daughters of the Dragon season or Season 3. Loved Colleen getting the power of the Iron Fist - lines her up a bit more with her comic counterpart who can focus her chi for certain enhancements and I just see this as the MCU's version of this. I'm hoping Davos has retained some of his power - again much like his comic counterpart I would like it if he can drain the power of the Iron Fist and this is his new status quo - maybe they'll open it so he can drain the chi of his enemies to increase his power set.

And the name drop at the end of the season along with the demonstration of the stolen weapons - very excited to see Orson Randall appear and his 'Gun-Fu' - it would be nice to get a season that focuses more of the legacy of the Iron Fist and expands the mythology rather than dealing with the present day affairs.

Well, I binge watched the season, not the better way to experience it.
The fights were better, the characters were better ( Ward and Joy especially ) but I was rather indifferent to the story.
I knew Typhoid Mary from the little I know of the comics, she was nothing like her but it was ok, Iron Fist himself isn't how I remember him but it was decades ago and I read few comics with him in it. Alice Eve did good anyways, I found her very believable in her fight scenes and as a DID character.
The ending was also a bit confusing, I had no clue who was Orson Randall ( and the gun stuff, Internet answered all questions ) but I might have not been paying enough attention while watching the show.
Overall, it's my least favorite among the Netflix Marvel TV shows.

I thought it was a huge step up from season one, and I think it benefitted from being 10 episodes as opposed to 13, but I thought it was mostly mediocre save for the pretty good finale.

How I'd rank it among the other Netflix shows:

1. Daredevil Season One
2. Daredevil Season Two
3. Luke Cage Season Two
4. Jessica Jones Season One
5. The Punisher Season One
6. The Defenders
7. Luke Cage Season One
8. Iron Fist Season Two
9. Jessica Jones Season Two
10. Iron Fist Season One

I just finished watching this. Really improves from season 1: faster pace, less filler, better fights. They gave Colleen lots of great fight scenes so I thought she would be elevated to co-lead role at the end of the season, but seeing she became the show’s protagonist was a complete surprise. Like, I know general consensus is that Danny was the weakest spot and Colleen was the saving grace of season 1, but I didn’t expect that new showrunner would actually change the titular character (or maybe he decided so without the influence of critics). If we have a season 3, I don’t know what role Danny will have. The same supporting role Colleen had in season 1 maybe? Anyway I really like the season (better than JJ2 and LC2) and look forward for more.

After reading several comments about what happens this season, I think I'm just going to pass up on it altogether.

It seems like Danny got the shaft on his own show and is no longer the main protagonist. Quite embarrassing. I mean I know Colleen is a popular character (I like her as well) but I don't think that it justifies replacing Danny with her as the new lead/titular protagonist.

I don't think that's an accurate reading of the season at all. I think he was still clearly the protagonist. The whole story arc, even the giving of the Iron Fist to Colleen, was part of Danny's character development. Hell, even Colleen's story arc, about her family, got co-opted by Danny in the end.

I don't think that's an accurate reading of the season at all. I think he was still clearly the protagonist. The whole story arc, even the giving of the Iron Fist to Colleen, was part of Danny's character development. Hell, even Colleen's story arc, about her family, got co-opted by Danny in the end.

I think my issue with it was about halfway through the season, Danny essentially does nothing and stops moving the plot. It becomes the "Knight/Wing" show and the Danny kinda recedes to the background. I don't have a problem with ladies as the leads, but it short changes Danny especially when they'd done a ton of heavy lifting to make him likeable. IMO, it's tantamount to a Jessica Jones show where halfway through Patsy starts driving the plots and "starring" while Jessica sits on the couch.

They gave Danny's "moment" to Colleen and it doesn't feel earned.

I thought this was a huge improvement over the first season. Better acting, better fights, better storytelling. Right now, I'd easily rank it ahead of both of Luke Cage's seasons. The last episode though, so much happening. I wasn't sure about Colleen taking the Iron Fist but the revelation at the end about one of her ancestors being the first female Iron Fist made it seem natural. I sort of guessed that Danny will also have it eventually but using it with two guns was not what I expected. I'm now really looking forward to a third season. Henwick and Eve stole the show this season when it came to their characters development and acting.

Yeah, part of me wonders if they're trying to set seeds for a "Daughters of the Dragon" spinoff, because Colleen seemed to have more fight scenes than Danny did.

Perhaps they realized that since Henwick has had more martial arts training than Jones, due to another show she did a few years ago in UK, that it's better to display her more. Jones looked better as well. But Fernando Chien, who played Chen Wu, showed in his brief fight scenes that he was the one with the most martial arts training. His movements just looked so much more natural (kicks alone were so much faster) than the three main "fighters". :funny:

Danny did say he plans on taking the Iron Fist back when talking to Ward. He just does not find himself worthy of it at that point in the season

Well a lot of people are saying that the Daughters of Dragon essentially take over the show midway into the season.

Again I don't have a problem with them as leads in concept, just not for this show.

I think I will wait until season 3 to see on whether Danny is redeemed as a legitimate iron fist and star of this show before I watch season 2.

Does everyone *****ing about it in here know that Colleen has chi abilities in the comics?

I saw what happened as a way for her to get those abilities as "realistically" as they could within the more grounded world of Netflix Marvel. They even laid groundwork for her to deserve the abilities by heredity.

It doesn't necessarily make her the "Iron Fist" of the show. Especially if she chooses not to be known that way.

I'll say this season benefited from 10 eps. The pacing was MUCH better.

Does everyone *****ing about it in here know that Colleen has chi abilities in the comics?

I saw what happened as a way for her to get those abilities as "realistically" as they could within the more grounded world of Netflix Marvel. They even laid groundwork for her to deserve the abilities by heredity.

It doesn't necessarily make her the "Iron Fist" of the show. Especially if she chooses not to be known that way.
I totally agree with you, she isn't the lead of the show in the future probably, maybe it sets up the spin-off and when S3 begins, Danny and Ward return and Danny then is ready to take the mantle of Iron Fist.
It can actually go in any direction, no need for negative things that not even happened. This season rocks and is for me 2nd to DD S1.
And for people who have not even seen S2 and now don't want to see it because of a few comments.... you might take a look for yourself before concluding this. Colleen and Knight do help allot in the second half yes, it isn't a simple show in which the lead cannot get hurt, it makes the others around him also interesting. Also, Colleen doesn't own the fist until the very last minutes of this season, it is more, in my eyes, a setup for a spin-off show with Misty.
My 2 cents

Last edited:
This might clarify why the show went this direction for those who didn't know the source material, it isn't the same story, but it sets up a basis for her that makes a bunch of stories open up for the writers,. I hope they follow it a bit so the show benefits from those stories. And it might give us a spin-off show with Misty Knight. Then Iron Fist is really on his own IF that happens.

I posted this in the episode 10 thread, but figured I would post it in here as well:

I am torn on this season's ending. It presented a bunch of questions. While Danny may not be the best character on the show, I am not sure I liked giving Colleen the Iron Fist. But I was happy Danny still seems to have either retained or gotten Iron Fist power again, so this sort of alleviated that particular concern and I was more on board with it. What I didn't want was for Danny to become a second tier character in the show. So I am fine with Colleen having the power. But Danny now has this weird western motif (which I am aware resembles Orson Randall). It seems like they're going with a Iron Fist infused weapons thing, which I think may lead to it not really being a martial arts show now. Now it will be about some form of weapons gimmick based on the way it ended, and I am not sure it's a direction I agree with. Seems like the Iron Fist is now going to be a "It's Morphin Time!!!" type gimmick. I am also sure we're going to see more people with Iron Fist powers, and I like the idea of going into the history of the fist and its legacy more, but by that same token...do we need another potential villain who has like the same power (but maybe a different weapon) when we just had Steel Serpent? I am not writing it off as a concept, but I am dubious. Mainly, I see this getting abused and it worries me. I also think this season overall operated under the assumption that Danny sucks, and it played up to that idea as opposed to trying to keep fixing the character like they were on their way to doing with LC S2. I liked the season overall, but I think it was the weakest S2 of the Netflix shows. It is an upgrade from season 1 overall, but I don't think it was as much of an upgrade as many on here do. I liked some elements of season 1 more, honestly.

Also, we now have 2 seasons of Iron Fist. In half the episodes of the show, Danny has either been unable to use his power or had it removed from him. I find that sort of lazy. I would like them to have embraced Iron Fist more as a kung-fu show where Danny could actually use his super power, but even though he has it again seemingly at the end of this for season 3, his entire gimmick seems different. It's like the show is embarrassed to be a kung-fu show. My main hope for next season is they keep it a kung-fu show and don't go overbaord with the Iron Fisted weapons gimmick. I don't hate this season by any means. There was plenty I really liked about it (Davos, Mary, etc). But, I do have concerns moving forward. I hope season 3 alleviates my concerns.

If I were rating the second Netflix seasons, I would go:

DD S2
JJ S2 (divisive I know...but I find it very underrated)
LC S2
IF S2

Overall, I would probably go:

DD S1
JJ S1
Punisher S1
DD S2
JJ S2
LC S2
IF S2
Defenders
IF S1
LC S1

My list would atm be:
DD S1
IF S2
Punisher S1
LC S2
Defenders
JJ S1
DD S2
IF S1
JJ S2
LC S1

OK-
Defenders, LC1, IF1

Better-
LC2, JJ2, IF2

Very Good-
JJ1, DD2, Punisher

(still the) Best-
Daredevil Season 1

Finally finished this last night and while I did enjoy it overall I'd say there is still a lot more improvements to be made. In terms of pacing, writing and direction it's definitely better than S1, but at the end of the day it still feels so inconsequential or unmemorable IMO. Just like S1 I know a week from now I probably won't remember half of it which is frustrating considering this is pretty much how I've been feeling about the last three or four Marvel/Netflix shows. It really does feel like it's starting to peak, but I continue to have high hopes for DD S3. I don't know, maybe a bit of fatigue is starting to set in for me as well, although it's not like I'm not invested in these characters. I came away from this really liking what they did with Danny, Colleen and Ward this season. Misty was a nice addition too and I enjoyed the villains, especially Alice Eve's performance as Typhoid Mary. Joy felt like she was in the way most of the time though and honestly I don't even think I want her back for a S3. They will probably find some kind of way of forcing her in due to her relationship with Mary now, but man am I done with her character. That setup for S3 seems interesting too even though I will admit I had no fricking idea what was going on at the end. I never read any of the comics so I have no idea who Orson Randall is, but I can get behind the idea as Coleen as a temporary IF holding down the fort in NY while I guess we see more of Danny and Ward's adventures in Asia which could be really cool and fun.

My Ranking:
DD S1
DD S2
Punisher S1
JJ S1
LC S1
Defenders S1
IF S2
LC S2
JJ S2
IF S1

My second season rankings:

Iron Fist: I really liked this season. It’s not perfect, but there isn’t a lot I would change.

Daredevil: This and No. 3 are close. The Punisher arc in the first part of the season is just sterling, but it tarnished quickly once they got into the Elektra/Hand stuff.

Jessica Jones: The first season was so good I guess this couldn’t help be a letdown. Trish’s wierd turn didn’t work for me at all.

Luke Cage: Sitting here writing this I realized I couldn’t recall a darn thing about season 2. I know I watched it and I didn’t hate it. I’m sure I liked it. But it had no staying power with me at all.

So what are the Easter eggs that link it to the MCU?

So what are the Easter eggs that link it to the MCU?

Mary was part of a Special Forces operation and was held captive in Sokovia.

Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and now Typhoid Mary, that country loves them some mutants.

I liked season one of IF, but man, this one was a huge improvement over that. And I had no clue it was only 10 episodes this season. Here I was hyped for episode 11 only to realize there wasn't one and that was it.

I’m glad they have moved to 10 episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"