Iron Man to be directed by Jon Favreau Rumor

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
Log this in your mind as a rumor because I heard this from someone I do not know at a comic book shop today. He was certain of it and from the way he looked he wasn't lying. It's one of the properties I thought Jon should do though I figured Ant-Man was it though others suggested Hulk 2 & Captain America. What's up with Cassavetes???

Didn't somebody say that Cassavettes and Favreau were friends? I don't know what to think, but if Cassavettes handed the property over to anyone, I guess it would make sense that he'd give it to a friend of his.

As for Ant-Man: why do you think Ant-Man? Because it's "action-y", "science fiction-y"? Edgar Wright is supposedly doing Ant-Man, right, and he directs his own stuff, plus I doubt he even knows Favreau. I'd say Iron Man is probably more likely, but I'm not ruling anything out as a possibility.

I would like to see him direct Ant-Man personally.

I just love rumors. :(

^ Ant-Man is what I'm hoping for too. I don't think Edgar was signed though and as far as I know neither was Simon Pegg. It was the same talk that we've heard like Columbus on Namor, Cassavetes on Iron Man, etc...They might be in talks but nothing signed yet I don't think. It'd be on the slate then.

I would guess until Marvel actually decides its worth it they will say something, right now it still looks like Nick Cassavetes is directing. of course we've also heard Alex Proyas' name come up lately,with no ya or nay from Avi Arad or anyone else at Marvel.

Alex Proyas would "rawk" as an Iron Man Director.

Mr. Magoo said:
Didn't somebody say that Cassavettes and Favreau were friends? I don't know what to think, but if Cassavettes handed the property over to anyone, I guess it would make sense that he'd give it to a friend of his.

As for Ant-Man: why do you think Ant-Man? Because it's "action-y", "science fiction-y"? Edgar Wright is supposedly doing Ant-Man, right, and he directs his own stuff, plus I doubt he even knows Favreau. I'd say Iron Man is probably more likely, but I'm not ruling anything out as a possibility.

Yeah, I said that. They run in the same circle of guys in Hollywood.

zer00 said:
...how ******ed this thread is
There's no reason for talk like that. This isn't the community forum...play nicer here.

Well I know Jon's trying to get John Carter from Mars going to but it's not the same project as the one he's talking about as being "Marvelous". In any event here's his latest blog entry from last week on JCOM:

Sunday, March 26, 2006

ABC pilot and JCoM
Category: Movies, TV, Celebrities

On Tuesday I begin shooting the pilot (I'm sure that grouping of words has triggered some goverment spy software). The whole shoot will be over in seven days and then we go straight into editing. I will keep you all informed as to its progress and any news of when and if it gets on the air.

There is also a big meeting over at Paramount this week regarding John Carter of Mars. We've got a first draft of the script in as well as a fat portfolio of artwork. Let's hope they're serious about making this movie. I've been in active development on it since the year began and I really want to know where the project stands. I'll let you know as things start to fall into place.

-Jon Favreau

Source: http://www.myspace.com/jonfavreau

I just noticed something else too. On Jon's website he has thumbnails w/links to his "friends". One is for Dax's Myspace site, another friend is listed as John Carter of Mars (A project he's working on), and the other one is Iron Man.

Here's the thumbnail and if it doesn't paste here you can see it at the link above.

Iron Man

Nothing against Favreau, but I really think Proyas is the guy for Iron Man. And with his interest in doing a comic film, I can't believe Marvel wouldn't try to get him on one of their projects.

tamron said:
Nothing against Favreau, but I really think Proyas is the guy for Iron Man. And with his interest in doing a comic film, I can't believe Marvel wouldn't try to get him on one of their projects.

I, Robot was one of the worst movies of the last several years. Plus he's attatched to Halo according to IMDB. He can't do 2 projects this big at one time.

You could say the latter about Favreau and John Carter of Mars though. Favs has indicated though he isn't positive the studio is going to move forward with it, atleast now. Halo is something I assume has more momentum behind it to get made made as soon as possible. Unlike the more than half-century long stall of John Carter.

^ Del Toro is doing Halo I thought? I, Robot wasn't bad considering Will Smith's last sci fi jokes of Men in Black 2 and Wild West. Ehrgh.

No I think Del Toro passed on Halo because he has to finish Pan's Labyrinth and prep Hellboy 2. He was never officially on the project I don't think. But I don't know about all the crazy wheels and deals in Hollywood.

I work at Digital Domain, and from what I heard about IRobot, itwas basically the Studio taking control of the flick once WIll Smith was attached. Apparently Proyas barely stayed on. Even the dialogue was written to be Will Smithy. I think Proyas could do a good job, ifhe has no interference from a major studio..

Interesting rumors. I'll be curious to see how they all finally play out. I personally like both Proyas and Favreau as directors (minus "I, Robot"). Either of them would do great justice to a Marvel flick.

jag

It wasn't his best work, but I didn't have a problem with "I, Robot". I certainly wouldn't call it "one of the worst movies of the last several years." It was decidely average popcorn fare.

tamron said:
It wasn't his best work, but I didn't have a problem with "I, Robot". I certainly wouldn't call it "one of the worst movies of the last several years." It was decidely average popcorn fare.

Yeah, disappointing movies always seem worse than they actually are because you expected more. I didn't think I, Robot was all that bad.

Favreau did so well with Elf and especially Zathura which I thought was going to be a poor man's Jumanji but turned out to be 10 times better and much more entertaining. Dax also has a myspace site connected to Favreau's...he'd be a cool Ant-Man.

Mr. Magoo said:
Yeah, disappointing movies always seem worse than they actually are because you expected more. I didn't think I, Robot was all that bad.

No, I wasn't expecting much. When I had the annoying Will Smith, the black hole of charisma Bridget Moynahan, and a whole bunch of CGI as the foundation of the movie. I, Robot was still excruciatingly awful and boring. The only thing that saved it from being the worst movie of that year was Garden State.

Okay, fair enough. Your opinion. I disagree, but whatever. Anyway I'm sorry for speaking for you since that obviously isn't your take on the movie. At least we can both agree that Bridget Moynahan is a black hole of charisma.

I would still love to see Cassavettes take rather than Fav's. I think that Iron Man is a tougher sell to crowds because they have to have a sympathy for a billionaire.... which isn't an easy task to achieve. I think Cassavettes handling of The Notebook makes him a better fit for this particular task... the action parts are not as difficult to achieve because there are so many experts that will be helping with those technical aspects of the CGI and whatnot. Nick knows how to get good performances from his actors, and that will be a key to this movie's success.

Regardless of director, the script will be the most important thing. Making a billionaire sympathetic because he has a drinking problem isn't easy. It would be easy to make him a not so heroic figure, but that isn't something I think Marvel would want to do with the franchise.

I agree, as of right now, I think Marvel is needing to get the script done before they hire a directer, last I heard they scraped the old Grough and Miller script and are writing a new one, but I haven't heard if they've hired any writers as yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"