Jon Favreau/Marvel speculation thread!

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
We all know by now he's hinted at an upcoming Marvel project but what is it?

I've speculated it could be Iron Man, Ant-Man, and someone else suggsted perhaps Hulk 2. I asked the question to Clint@Moviehole and he has another thought:

Q. Over at Jon Favreau's MYSPACE site he says he has an upcoming film that's going to make some waves real soon. All he would say is that it's a MARVELous project. Ant-Man? Iron-Man? Have you heard anything?
Also Zak Penn at the XVERSE said he has a new Marvel project coming together possibly as soon as this week. Any scoops on this???
- Blades_Shades
A. Alright, let’s assume that Jon saying marvellous as “marvelous” is something more than a spelling mistake, and let’s suggest that it is the man himself posting. With that in mind, lets go back a couple of questions ago, and talk about “Captain America”. We know that it has been commissioned by Paramount (David Self is scripting it), and that Favreau was / is working on “John Carter Of Mars” for them, so it looks like a logical move. That’s my pick anyway

The only thing is Paramount is only distributing it though Deathlok is a Paramount pic that is supposedly tied up by the Lucky Number Slevin director.

Here's an update from Jon's website. He's trying to get John Carter of Mars going at Paramount and Paramount is trying to get him to do one of the 10 Marvel pics, and I think Iron Man is heading over to Paramount too in separate deal so that's in the mix. Hulk 2 is out from what I understand of the list that he might do. Here it is:

Sunday, April 16, 2006

John Carter vs. the Easter Bunny

Paramount is reading the new draft over Easter weekend. A decision will have to be made soon as to what my next movie is. I will inform you all as soon as I'm sure what my next one is. Summer '08 release seems to be the target for all projects in play.

Happy Easter and Passover to all of you.

-Jon Favreau

http://www.myspace.com/jonfavreau

Summer 2008? Hmmm that narrows it down quite a bit to potential films that are in advanced stages and at Paramount: Deathlok, Iron Man, Ant-Man, Captain America, & Nick Fury. Of the 5 I'd say Iron Man or Ant-Man though moviehole thinks it's Cap.

Cap, not likely, but maybe. I seem to recall Arad saying he had a very specific director in mind for that, and at the time, Favreau had done, what? Made and Elf? So I doubt it. But maybe. And maybe it became obvious that whoever that director was that he was holding out for wasn't gonna do the movie.

I still don't understand why you're set on Ant-Man as one of the frontrunners since Edgar Wright has been working on the projekt in secret for so long and there's been no indication since that he's been kicked off of it, but I'm not going to hassle you for it. Plus while I find it improbable I don't find it totally out of the question.

I thought Iron Man was most likely, but if it's a Paramount deal? Huh. Well they're getting Iron Man back, so. But how long did Favreau know about this? It's hard to tell. Maybe take some likely points off that one based on the information that Paramount's been trying to get him to do it for a while now.

So out of the projects set up at Marvel, I'm going to go crazy and say the most likely one is Nick Fury. Probably not actually, but I don't even know what to think anymore. The only ones I know have scripts in some stage of work are Deathlok, Iron Man and Captain America. But I don't even know what to make of the revolving door of directors that is Deathlok so I ain't touching that one.

Mr. Magoo said:
Cap, not likely, but maybe. I seem to recall Arad saying he had a very specific director in mind for that, and at the time, Favreau had done, what? Made and Elf? So I doubt it. But maybe. And maybe it became obvious that whoever that director was that he was holding out for wasn't gonna do the movie.

I still don't understand why you're set on Ant-Man as one of the frontrunners since Edgar Wright has been working on the projekt in secret for so long and there's been no indication since that he's been kicked off of it, but I'm not going to hassle you for it. Plus while I find it improbable I don't find it totally out of the question.

I thought Iron Man was most likely, but if it's a Paramount deal? Huh. Well they're getting Iron Man back, so. But how long did Favreau know about this? It's hard to tell. Maybe take some likely points off that one based on the information that Paramount's been trying to get him to do it for a while now.

So out of the projects set up at Marvel, I'm going to go crazy and say the most likely one is Nick Fury. Probably not actually, but I don't even know what to think anymore. The only ones I know have scripts in some stage of work are Deathlok, Iron Man and Captain America. But I don't even know what to make of the revolving door of directors that is Deathlok so I ain't touching that one.

I'm set on those 5 movies because nobody is signed for any of those films and they're in the most advanced stages and they're at Paramount. I think Iron Man is most likely, then Cap, and then Ant-Man as I think about it.

Iron Man is intreging, but isn't Nick Cassavetes directing Iron Man, at least that is what he told MTV.com a month or so ago,and Alex Proyas' name as also surfaced as a rumored directer canidate for Shellhead.

Nick isn't officially signed yet or at least he wasn't when he made those statements. He was in talks and that was it. I called Marvel IR and they told me if and when he's signed...it will be annouced. Until then...nothing.

Mr. Magoo said:
Cap, not likely, but maybe. I seem to recall Arad saying he had a very specific director in mind for that, and at the time, Favreau had done, what? Made and Elf?

And Swingers :up:

Sundancer said:
And Swingers :up:

No he didn't though. Doug Liman did Swingers, right? I mean I think Favs wrote it, but I doubt that anyone would say "that guy who wrote Swingers would be perfect to direct Captain America!" That doesn't make much sense.

Favreau is clearly an awesome director so whether he did or didn't do some movie 10 or 15 years ago doesn't mean a thing now. Zathura was a great film as was Elf. That's enough for me. He's in the zone now. Remember McTiernan when he was there, and Paul Verehoven, Chris Columbus, John Hughes, etc...They have a string of awesome films and then vanish. I think Favreau has plenty of films to go before he becomes a potential TV director. LOL

I'm not saying Favreau's not a good director, I'm saying I don't think he's *the* director that Avi Arad said he wanted however many years ago, and that writing a movie isn't usually what makes someone want you to direct another movie. Unless they want you to write AND direct it, but that's not the case here.

Mr. Magoo said:
No he didn't though. Doug Liman did Swingers, right? I mean I think Favs wrote it, but I doubt that anyone would say "that guy who wrote Swingers would be perfect to direct Captain America!" That doesn't make much sense.

actually Swingers was basically a de-facto co-directorial effort. Liman did more of the physical/manual camera operating and was in charge of everything Favreau couldn't do, but basically Liman was THE director in name only. In reality he was A director of that movie just as Favreau was basically A director as well.

BTW the best thing about Favs is that he's a leading voice in the anti-excessive-CGI movement. Iron Man is the kind of movie that could really use that sentiment.

^ Yep. Iron Man is great for him as would be Deathlok. I knew that about him too which means Ant-Man is probably out of the question for him.

He might be good for a Captain America film, Marvel may be looking to get Cap up and going first.

^ That would fit too since David Self is writing Cap right now. Should line up for 2008 like Favreau said. Possible.

Question is cleared!!!

Jon is in fact directing Iron Man like I thought! Yipee!

Advanced Dark said:
Question is cleared!!!

Jon is in fact directing Iron Man like I thought! Yipee!

dude two wtfs tonight?!

WTF!?!?! :eek: :eek:

Jon Favreau to Direct Iron Man
Source: The Hollywood Reporter April 28, 2006

Marvel Studios has hired Jon Favreau to develop and direct the big-screen adaptation of Iron Man and has attracted an impressive roster of writers to help bring some of its high-profile characters to the big screen, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Favreau will direct a feature version of Marvel's armored hero and develop the script with the writing team of Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway ("Convoy"). The project originally was set up at New Line with Nick Cassavetes directing.

Writer-director-actor Favreau previously helmed "Zathura: A Space Adventure." He was attached to direct "John Carter of Mars" for Paramount, but the 11th "Star Trek" movie, from J.J. Abrams and due out in 2008, put a stop to that project for now.

Iron Man will be Favreau's next movie, and he hopes to go behind the camera early next year.

Among Marvel's other projects is a sequel to 2003's Hulk, being written by Zak Penn, whose credits include X2: X-Men United and upcoming X-Men: The Last Stand.

Ant Man is being adapted by "Shaun of the Dead" co-writer/director Edgar Wright. Wright will direct and co-write with scribe partner Joe Cornish. Edgar also will co-produce with his Big Talk Productions partner Nira Park.

Captain America is being adapted by David Self (Road to Perdition), who is no stranger to Marvel, having worked on adaptations of Namor, the Sub-Mariner for Universal, and Deathlok for Paramount.

Nick Fury is Marvel's hero who is an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., (Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law-enforcement Division), a spy agency. Andrew Marlow, whose credits include "Air Force One," "End of Days" and "Hollow Man," is writing.

Thor follows the adventures of the legendary Norse thunder deity and is being written by Mark Protosevich ("Poseidon"). Protosevich said "the movie will take place in the world of myth and legend but will not betray some of the thematic elements of the comics that made them so appealing, like the idea of a god growing to truly understand man."

Variety adds that the budgets on the films are expected to be between $50 million and $165 million. They will all be distributed by Paramount Pictures, except for the Hulk sequel, which will again be released by Universal Pictures.

Iron Man and the Hulk sequel are furthest along and most likely to hit theaters in 2008. Marvel's next priority is Captain America, which the company hopes to release in 2009.

Marvel has seven other superheroes and teams in development without talent yet attached.

I'm a happy MVL shareholder tonight.

I think I am most excited about Ant Man. Shaun of the Dead was awesome.

Perfect writer and director there. I'm really excited now so I'm hyper typing. :)

The Hype will be busy come the next few years. :up:

Wow, I love the choice. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"