Jon Favreau/Marvel speculation thread!

One's things for sure Mirko is gonna be busy creating forums for Hulk 2, Iron Man, Ant-Man, Thor, Captain America, Nick Fury, etc...

LMAO at DC and Wonderwoman. Why can't they get Green Lantern going for God's sake.

Story's up at Moviehole and I had to rag on Clint because I told him about this and he didn't believe me or that the myspace site was really Jon's.

Anyways I wonder if Vince Vaugn is gonna get the job. :)

ironmanposter.jpg

Advanced Dark said:
LMAO at DC and Wonderwoman. Why can't they get Green Lantern going for God's sake.

Yes! They've got potential goldmines in Green Lantern and the Flash and the only non-Vertigo (Constantine, V for Vendetta) movies they've made are Superman and Batman (oh yeah, and "Catwoman"...).

Here's a bit more info:

The writers and directors Marvel has brought on board are huge comic book fans -- Favreau read comics in high school and doodled, and according to Self, "Captain America was my favorite superhero as a little kid because my dad told me I could one day be Captain America" -- which is the No. 1 prerequisite, Marvel chairman Arad said.

"Unless you buy into the gestalt of what is Marvel and understand the characters and metaphors and treat them as living people, we are not interested," Arad said. "This is material that has withstood the test of history, and the director and writers have to feel a sense responsibility."

Marvel is moving ahead into discussions with talent and visual effects houses as it gears up for full-scale production. The first release is anticipated in 2008.

The movies are expected to be financed with Marvel's $525 million revolving film financing facility and distributed under Marvel's overall distribution arrangement with Paramount. The sequel to "Hulk," however, will be distributed by Universal, which distributed the original.

President and chief operating officer Michael Helfant will oversee the company's growth to accommodate this newly expanded production activity.

The projects will be shepherded and produced by Marvel president of production Kevin Feige and executive vp production Ari Arad.

Aint it cool speaks briefly about Iron Man and Favreau but will they say "Holy Crap"?

Holy Crap! Favs is tasked to build himself an IRON MAN for Marvel!!!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here reporting live from the Alamo Downtown before Tarantino takes the stage for the 3rd feature of the night, THE MUTHAS! I saw a huge bit of news to hit and I had to write a bit about it.
Jon Favreau is directing IRON MAN! Tarantino is introing now! Be back afterwards! Talk about this development!!!

Of course. LOL

Marvel making deals for title wave
Favreau set to mold 'Iron Man'

By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK
1x1blue.gif
Jon Favreau is set to direct Marvel Studios' live-action feature "Iron Man," which will now be distribbed by Paramount. News is part of a wider announcement from Marvel outlining a barrage of directing and writing deals for a slate of films it is developing with aims to independently finance out of a $525 million fund from Merrill Lynch.... WANT TO READ THE WHOLE STORY?

I don't have access to Variety but they just confirmed one more thing for me. Paramount got the distributing job for sure. :)

I loved Favreau as Foggy but I haven´t seen Zathura, so I can´t comment on his directing skills. The best news is Road To Perdition´s David Self penning Captain America, that sounds promising. If Zak Penn gives Hulk 2 the same tone of X2 we may have a smart movie that has more audience appeal.

i like Favreau for Iron Man... as long as he can get someone to help out with the action/choreography, i think he'll do the character justice.

i wonder who they'll get to play him? who said Vaughn? i could see that working for some reason.

comics2film, is now reporting that Jon is the directer.

That's what was reported last night by HReporter right above your post. :)

That's weird. AICN had a little blurb from quint last night on Iron Man/Jon Favreau and it has been removed from their site. It was brief and they said update to follow. Now it's gone or I don't see it. I did post it here though last night.

Is it weird that I could see vaughn too? It doesn't have to be someone really buff, since hes in armor, but vaughn's look would do well. That or for some reason I think Carlos Bernard (Tony from 24) would make a good iron man.

He's got the look at least, I wonder who will be looked at now, Tom Cruise is very unlikely to be considered, but, ya never know with a new script.

Marvel Studios Engages All-Star Roster For New Film Slate; Jon Favreau To Direct Iron Man
Business Wire - April 28, 2006 11:09

LOS ANGELES, Apr 28, 2006 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Aggressively pursuing its strategy to develop and produce a new slate of feature films, Marvel Studios - a subsidiary of Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: MVL) - has engaged director/actor/writer Jon Favreau to direct the highly anticipated big screen adaptation of Iron Man. Additionally, the studio has tapped several screenwriters to pen scripts based on some of its marquee Super Hero franchises. The projects to which screenwriters are now attached and have officially begun development include Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Ant Man, Captain America, Nick Fury and Thor. The announcement was made today by Avi Arad, Chairman of Marvel Studios.

-- Iron Man -- For the legendary Super Hero Iron Man, Jon Favreau will direct the film and develop the script with the writing team of Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway (Convoy). Favreau's directing credits include Elf and Zathura: A Space Adventure.

-- Incredible Hulk -- Zak Penn, who previously collaborated with Marvel on X2, Fantastic Four, and the upcoming X-Men: The Last Stand, will write a new Incredible Hulk film, inspired by the larger-than-life green giant. Under Marvel's arrangement with Universal, Marvel will develop and produce the Incredible Hulk as a major theatrical release, with Universal retaining various distribution rights.

-- Ant Man -- Writer/director Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz) will direct, and co-write with writing partner Joe Cornish, the feature film based on cult-favorite Ant Man. Edgar will also co-produce with his Big Talk Productions partner Nira Park.

-- Captain America -- David Self has been tapped to write Captain America, inspired by Marvel's venerable all-American super soldier. Self's credits include Thirteen Days and Road to Perdition, in addition to numerous rewrites on various studio films. He also worked with Marvel on two other projects: Namor, the Sub-Mariner for Universal, and Deathlok for Paramount.

-- Nick Fury - Marvel's Super Hero with military roots, the iconic super spy Nick Fury, will be brought to life by action/adventure screenwriter Andrew Marlowe. Marlowe's credits include Air Force One, End of Days, and Hollow Man.

-- Thor -- The legendary Norse Thunder deity, Thor, will hammer his way to the big screen with the help of screenwriter Mark Protosevich. Protosevich wrote one of this summer's highly-anticipated films, Poseidon. His credits also include The Cell.

"We are incredibly excited to be able to attract some of Hollywood's top talent to help Marvel launch the first wave of our independently-produced film slate. These screenwriters and directors are at the top of their game, and each brings a unique passion for the individual characters and projects they will be working on. Our goal is to combine great characters with exciting action, and we've assembled a team who will do just that," said Mr. Arad. "In fact, some of these writers have already helped us create major Hollywood blockbuster franchises like Fantastic Four and X-Men. With our independent slate, we look forward to delivering to movie-goers the same type of high-action, gripping entertainment they have grown accustomed to with the Marvel brand."

With screenwriters and directors on board, Marvel is commencing discussions with other talent and visual effects houses as it gears up for full-scale production on the new slate, with the first release anticipated in 2008. These projects are expected to be financed with Marvel's $525 million revolving film financing facility and distributed under Marvel's overall distribution arrangement with Paramount, except for The Incredible Hulk which will be distributed by Universal.

President/COO Michael Helfant will oversee the company's growth to accommodate this newly expanded production activity. The projects will be shepherded and produced by Kevin Feige, President of Production, and Ari Arad, Executive Vice President of Production.

About Marvel Entertainment, Inc.

With a library of over 5,000 characters, Marvel Entertainment, Inc. is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies. Marvel's operations are focused on utilizing its character franchises in licensing, entertainment, publishing and toys. Areas of emphasis include feature films, DVD/home video, consumer products, video games, action figures and role-playing toys, television and promotions. Rooted in the creative success of over sixty years of comic book publishing, Marvel's strategy is to leverage its character franchises in a growing array of opportunities around the world.

Except for any historical information that they contain, the statements in this news release regarding Marvel's plans are forward-looking statements that are subject to certain risks and uncertainties, including circumstances that may affect Marvel's ability to commence or complete production of its films, and the risk of poor performance of the films in the marketplace. These and other risks and uncertainties are described in Marvel's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including Marvel's Annual Reports on Form 10-K, Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and Current Reports on Form 8-K. Marvel assumes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements.

Marvel, and all related character names and the distinctive likenesses thereof are trademarks of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used with permission. TM & (C) 2006 Marvel Characters, Inc. All rights reserved. www.marvel.com. Super Hero(es) is a co-owned registered trademark.

SOURCE: Marvel Entertainment, Inc.

Media
Dan Klores Communications
Jeffrey Klein, Ann Hinshaw
212-981-5189/212-981-5160
[email protected]
[email protected]
or
Investor Relations
Jaffoni & Collins
Richard Land or David Collins
212/835-8500
[email protected]

Copyright Business Wire 2006 ********************************************************************** As of Monday, 04-24-2006 23:59, the latest Comtex SmarTrend(SM) Alert, an automated pattern recognition system, indicated a DOWNTREND on 11-09-2005 for MVL @ $14.31. (C) 2006 Comtex News Network, Inc. All rights reserved.

GREAT NEWS on Iron Man, this film should be one of Marvel's biggest blockbusters. Favreau will do an excellent job with the project, I don't have any doubts whatsoever. I really hope we hear casting news fairly soon!

Here's what he just wrote about the Iron Man Film on his myspace blog, complete with a link to an IRON MAN MOVIE group he made on myspace

Iron Man will indeed be my next movie. Marvel is distributing it through Paramount which, for those of you playing at home, is also the studio that is developing John Carter of Mars. That project is still a huge priority for me and I am still very much attached to it both as a director and producer.

Iron Man is the first Marvel production under its new distribution arrangement. My hope is that this will be refelected in the quality of the movie. Their films are self-financed and, as a result, don't have to run the typical creative gauntlet of studio development. What Marvel says, goes.

As far as specifics, it will be set in the present and, as you would probably expect, includes a version of the origin story.

I have set up a MySpace discussion group. I will post new info there as things come together. The internet is full of faulty info. I wanted to have at least one place where the facts would be correct.

http://groups.myspace.com/ironmanmovie

Hawkeye said:
GREAT NEWS on Iron Man, this film should be one of Marvel's biggest blockbusters. Favreau will do an excellent job with the project, I don't have any doubts whatsoever. I really hope we hear casting news fairly soon!

Well start asking questions then in his blog. He's got a discussion group for it. We should all post questions there. :)

I was already a member of his myspace group just because I'm such a huge Dinner for Five fan. I wonder if he'll get a big influx of we comic type geeks now.

wow, this is cool! This film is going to start moving at lightening speed. Just watch.

This movie will be so money.

Advanced Dark said:
Well start asking questions then in his blog. He's got a discussion group for it. We should all post questions there. :)

Sweet, that's a great idea. Do you have a link to it please? :)

I really love this generation of directors. Those that are really passionate for the work and talk to their fans. I'm an aspiring director and to see others who have made it talk to those interested in their films, and not just through us watching them on late night talk shows, is really great and inspiring to see.

Whether it be Singer and Jackson with their video blogs.
MSJ talking on here about Ghost Rider
Or Favreau having his own myspace to update awaiting fans.

It's good to see that the directors still care about the fans and/or aspiring film makers like ourselves.

Triligors said:
I really love this generation of directors. Those that are really passionate for the work and talk to their fans. I'm an aspiring director and to see others who have made it talk to those interested in their films, and not just through us watching them on late night talk shows, is really great and inspiring to see.

Whether it be Singer and Jackson with their video blogs.
MSJ talking on here about Ghost Rider
Or Favreau having his own myspace to update awaiting fans.

It's good to see that the directors still care about the fans and/or aspiring film makers like ourselves.

well said

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"