It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super Kal

Super Kal Proud Conservative

to be quite honest, i didn't like the Donner :super: too much. its design was very loopy and curvy, pretty similar to the Lois and Clark :super:- however, the :super: they used in STM was, indeed, better than the merchandise :super: that they created for the promotion of the film. their promotional :super:, even though had a very strong resemblance from the comics, was very scrunched together.

2. Lead Cenobite

Lead Cenobite Exquisitely Empty

I like the logo on the suit, but I never understood the love for this version of the logo. The curvy lines seem random.

3. elgaz

elgaz Well-Known Member

I think they're just there to add detail and texture and make it more crest-like. Otherwise it's yet another variation of the 'S' we've gotten all these years, with a slightly different font.

Compare it to the SR 'S', which is the most recent modern version used in a film. I don't think anyone could say the MOS version doesn't look more like a family crest, and this is largely down to the detailing on it rather than the curves of the S or the font used.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  4. elgaz

elgaz Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's a flawed analogy, but my point still stands. Just as there are progressions in fashion and certain things fall out of taste, so too are there progressions in artwork. Comics now are much more detailed, richly illustrated and vivid. The original Superman logo (as pictured below) is reminiscent of older artwork, not more modern.

[​IMG]

I totally agree that it's iconic the world over. However, that doesn't change the fact that I still think it looks quite dated now in terms of artwork and style. The MOS logo is the flipside, showing a more modern approach. It's just my opinion, I'm sure there are plenty who will disagree.

I agree also that the new logos probably won't be used in such a widespread manner, but I think that's more to do with a natural reluctance to change any global brand (especially one which is one of the most recognisable icons on Earth) rather than the new logo somehow being inferior in any way.

At the end of the day, at least the new logos are fairly faithful to the original - they could have easily butchered the iconic 'S. Remember this version?

[​IMG]

5. Krumm

Krumm Beer Snob

Agreed. The promo :super: for STM was really funny looking. I remember being irked by that even as a kid.

The same could be said for my favorite :super: -- Superman Returns. I feel the promo shield is little too curvy where the costume shield has softer lines, particularly where the "S" meets the border.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Dr.

Dr. Well-Known Member

The neat thing about the SR :super: is that it’s got a quasi-Escher/”impossible solid” thing happening. The top face of the raised S becomes the depth axis as it curves (and vice versa).

7. Compi716

Compi716 The SHH! Jew

8. Zorex

Zorex I'm 100% 50/50

I love the variety of S-shields we've seen over the years, and I really love the Man of Steel version. Compared to the Returns shield (the logo/poster version), it makes me like that one less. Side-by-side, the Returns version looks chunky and stiff, whereas the Man of Steel shield looks more elegant, like it naturally flows better from start-to-end of the letter.

9. C. Lee

C. Lee I'm not old...I'm ancient

You have now received a 2 months probation.

The last time you received a probation, it was under your original name...you then created a new name (this one) and posted with it while your original name was serving probation....and, as per the rules in our FAQ, that name was banned and this name was put on an extended probation. So....feel perfectly free to ignore the rules and create another new name and post with it...because as per the FAQ, then you any and all names you make will be permabanned on sight.

10. Crazymaverick

Crazymaverick Obsessed with the \S/

I'm no good with manips, but how 'bout someone rustle up some with a little more red in the belt like these:

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Krumm

Krumm Beer Snob

The color of the suit is interesting on the toy packaging

[​IMG]

12. spidermanJLA!~

spidermanJLA!~ SUPERHERO

First, I just have to say how much toys/action figures have degraded over time.:csad: Second,my least favorite classic emblem has always been the Lois and Clark Tv version. It's just too curvy.
    [​IMG]

And while I love the classic emblem, the MOS version really does fit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Krumm

Krumm Beer Snob

If it's any consolation, I don't think that's an actual toy in there but just a spec illustration.

14. The Watchman

The Watchman Balls McGee

I'm quite content with the MoS 'S' but if we were to have something different I would love the Fleisher 'S'.

15. Rust

Rust First Son Of Yesterday

Yeah, but it IS possible though. But nice observation.

16. Compi716

Compi716 The SHH! Jew

So let's discuss this.
    I think it looks very cool. The added design marks on the obliques aren't too distracting, and the belt looks very alien and cool. Personally I find the added Aquaman pattern on the shield is unnecessary, and I think the texture and design found on the shield in the promo image (and at the end of the trailer) would look better. I do wish the reds and yellows were more vibrant (especially the yellow in the \S/), but at least the S isn't that shade of Superman Returns red that it's been in other photos.

17. spidermanJLA!~

spidermanJLA!~ SUPERHERO

The blue/red coloring is GREAT there, but the yellow is just too dark. But the suit is still growing on me.

18. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out the color on the emblem. There's no way that can be yellow. Even at a weird angle yellow wouldn't come out that dark.

I think it's probably more accurate to describe it as bronze perhaps?

19. Kal-El.9859

Kal-El.9859 Trust No One

I think it changes color in different lighting situations...I mean this is obviously yellow

[​IMG]

20. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Well-Known Member

Yep.

Or it's actually yellow and is just (very) dirty.

21. Superman141

Superman141 Well-Known Member

Its Freaking yellow/Gold

22. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

Mustard or bronze would be more apt. Unless it has a light shining directly at it in most shots and in the trailer it's a naturally darker color.

It doesn't have a gold shine, even with a light directly on it as in that above pic.

23. Mad Love

Mad Love The Future of Justice

It's a light gold. The whole costume has a weird metallic sheen that's very reactive to light. It's actually the same as his 'belt'.

[​IMG]

24. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Well-Known Member

Yeah, it totally looks like that.

25. Superman141

Superman141 Well-Known Member

Are you mocking me? Or being for real?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.