It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
They seemed to continue with the rubber muscle sculpting like the Batman movies, still am curious how they were going to fix the issue with Cage's receding hairline, we can't have a balding Supes now can we?

I heard he refused to wear a hair piece

He was supposed to have a long-haired wig at some point.

As it is, the suits we typically get these days in comics don't seem so far off from rubber at that, they're just not molded muscles anymore. They avoid spandex or plain cloth, it's always some new space age material.

To be fair there is a fair amount of "muscle molding" in the MOS suit it's evident by the looks unless we actually believe henry cavil's vein definition is able to find their way through that thick rubber.

I'm sure there is padding there, the difference is that Cavill can actually back up his suits look though. Since he obviously got in great shape for the role. Here's hoping he doesn't "shrink" back down for the potential sequel as hemsworth and evans did in the avengers.

here's a little gem one of my fx buddies gave me and yes it's real

521732_424793874264520_889885128_n_zpsa81e7efe.jpg

Look great. Except the head n briefs size. Why without belt loops?

I can't believe photos of the test fitting actually exist. I'm not sure he's wearing the full costume, because the trunks area doesnt make any sense. Given the crazy creative direction Burton was going for, the suit really doesn't look that bad. Cavil's suit definitely has some subtle sculpted definition.

To be fair there is a fair amount of "muscle molding" in the MOS suit it's evident by the looks unless we actually believe henry cavil's vein definition is able to find their way through that thick rubber.

I'm sure there is padding there, the difference is that Cavill can actually back up his suits look though. Since he obviously got in great shape for the role. Here's hoping he doesn't "shrink" back down for the potential sequel as hemsworth and evans did in the avengers.

Yeah but my point is the muscles aren't part of the suit itself but rather padding underneath.

Yeah but my point is the muscles aren't part of the suit itself but rather padding underneath.

Pretty sure some of it is part of the suit itself.

Likely a combo of elements: Cavill's physique combined with padding underneath in key areas, then accentuated by sculpted highlights in the ab, arm, and leg areas in the main outer suit. As opposed to Cage's which seems to be full-on sculpted muscles like Keaton's batsuit.

I can't believe photos of the test fitting actually exist. I'm not sure he's wearing the full costume, because the trunks area doesnt make any sense. Given the crazy creative direction Burton was going for, the suit really doesn't look that bad.

What people imo dont seem to realize is that Burton's take on Superman would not have been such a huge travesty. Superman would have worn his classic costume in the beginning, in this case with sculpted muscles of course. And then he would have gone thru some phazes and end up with a suit without the red briefs. Perhaps somewhat similar to the Man of steel costume.
Superman Lives would have depicted Superman's feeling of isolation, being an alien (although haven't read Strick's script yet). Which is a little bit what we are also possibly getting in Man of steel.
I think major reason why people think Superman Lives as ridicilous is because of the Kevin Smith script, which was then re-written by Wesley Strickt. And even if there was a fight between superman and polar bears and giant spiders, the bears and spider wouldn't have actually looked like their earth counterparts. They would have looked like some monsters Superman fights in the comics on daily basis. So I don't see what is so funny about that. As a pitch, yes it's ridicilous, but on screen it would have looked impressive I believe.

I don't think suit above looks as horrible as it could have, but it's hard to fully visualise the image with Nichola Cage's long face and receding hairline totally detracting from the overall Superman look. The suit might have worked, but only if they had put a more Superman-ly actor in it. Cage is a huge Superman fan and kudos to him for knowing the character inside out, but he looks nothing like how Superman should be.

Yeah, I don't think the suit looks particularly bad. I was expecting something far more unfaithful and I'm used to the rubber muscles style.

Man it still takes some getting used to seeing the new MOS suit in a lot of shots where it looks like there's absolutely nothing to break up the big blue section of his suit; I sincerely pray that if/when we see Henry as Superman again that they do something about that mid region.

Maybe if someone could manip a Supermanly type face on it?

Man it still takes some getting used to seeing the new MOS suit in a lot of shots where it looks like there's absolutely nothing to break up the big blue section of his suit;

There's a huge red cape behind the entire thing...

This "The blue needs to be broken up" argument doesn't really hold water anymore. People are just noticing the lack of the briefs they've seen on Superman forever.

C'mon guys. That suit is 100 times better than the Routh costume. It's at least a lot more faithful that the purple test suit and take Nic's head away and it looks like Superman.

There's a huge red cape behind the entire thing...

This "The blue needs to be broken up" argument doesn't really hold water anymore. People are just noticing the lack of the briefs they've seen on Superman forever.
I agree. I think, for a lot of people, it's the it-doesn't-feel-right-only-because-it's-new mentality.

I agree. I think, for a lot of people, it's the it-doesn't-feel-right-only-because-it's-new mentality.

Well... it's really a design-thing first and foremost. It's gotta make sense in the end. They came up with a decent and interesting alternative to be sure, but it's not as good a composite solution as the classic, and it really wasnt necessary either.

Was it a legal-thing that the trunks went?

This damn argument will never end...the design breaks up the blue. Oh my...grrrr!

I was a lot like the naysayers. I'm a trunks apologist and a comic book purist, but when I saw this, I gained an affection for CAVILL's suit.

LOOK damn it!

408732_508734395838434_1366389913_n.jpg

..."The blue needs to be broken up" argument doesn't really hold water anymore. People are just noticing the lack of the briefs they've seen on Superman forever.
I don’t think it ever did. Not many complaints that mens’ business suits lack a splash of red contrast at the pelvis to “break up” the monochrome. :cwink:

As you say, it’s what people are used to. And if they don’t like the change, fair enough. But a design/fashion principle isn’t being violated.

personally, i still prefer a design that includes the trunks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"