James Wan WILL direct Aquaman

There are elements of DCCU's Aquaman design I am certainly not fond of, but whenever I see that picture of clean-shaven, fully armored Aquaman with contemporary haircut, I like Momoa's look a bit more.

I'm curious to see if they'll really delve into the Atlantian culture. Like giving them their own language and religion and what not?

I'm curious to see if they'll really delve into the Atlantian culture. Like giving them their own language and religion and what not?

I really hope they will. Even though it is based of comic book version of real-world mythical culture, I find that aspect and possibilities that are open in creating all that rather exciting. Same goes for Themyscira and Amazon nation.

Actually, I just realized that revealed four of seven JL members are exactly those in whose movies I am most interested.
I like Flash, but I never cared much for his universe and I never cared much for both Green Lantern and Cyborg and their universes.

Wouldn't mind horror elements. Arthur could battle a nasty sea creature. Or the Trench.

Interesting, but wasn't there talk about having horror element in Wonder Woman too (greek mythology monsters and all that)?

Pardon me, but not every DC hero should go that route. They need to be very different from each other.

This is the first time I am hearing of this...All that's been linked to Wonder Woman is that the film might be a period piece.

Wouldn't mind horror elements. Arthur could battle a nasty sea creature. Or the Trench.

I'd like to see some horror elements. Not just because I am big fan of the genre, but I find that it would work rather well in claustrophobic, aquatic setting.

Still, it shouldn't be presumed that Wan will definitely venture into horror, just because most of his previous work belongs to that genre. Even Carpenter made films that were completely devoid of horror.

There are elements of DCCU's Aquaman design I am certainly not fond of, but whenever I see that picture of clean-shaven, fully armored Aquaman with contemporary haircut, I like Momoa's look a bit more.

I agree. I'm just not a fan of the clean shaven Aquaman. I like how he stands out in comparison to the rest of the Justice League with his more gruff look.

As far as horror elements in Aquaman... I'll say I'm no fan of horror, but... I can totally see there being elements of horror in the movie and it working. If anyone has read the new 52, there's some very creepy looking sea creatures that Aquaman fights. So, I can see it being a thing.

I guess the thing is though superman has already done the gruff thing and Aquaman is meant to be quite regal so maybe a clean shaven Aquaman is a good idea?

I mean momoa will still make him stand out and be a badass!

Mythical Kings don't ever have beards?

Did King Arthur? And Momoa's Aquaman kinda evokes the image of Poseidon, the greek sea god. He rocked a beard as well.

I'd like to see some horror elements. Not just because I am big fan of the genre, but I find that it would work rather well in claustrophobic, aquatic setting.

Still, it shouldn't be presumed that Wan will definitely venture into horror, just because most of his previous work belongs to that genre. Even Carpenter made films that were completely devoid of horror.
It helps when Wan's first comment post-announcement is quoting Lovecraft. I'm nearly salivating at the potential of this movie.

Like I said a few days ago, if the Trench is inspired by Lovecraftian horror, I'm gonna crap my britches with glee. So much potential.

A bunch of long-dead kings are screaming "YAS KWEEN!!!" from the grave. :o

Sassy Atlanteans... The new album by RUSH.

It helps when Wan's first comment post-announcement is quoting Lovecraft. I'm nearly salivating at the potential of this movie.

I think we may be reading too much into this though. He is a horror director, so it is quite naturally for him to quote Lovecraft, given that every single artist that works within the genre is by some extent influenced and familiar with his work. And he probably just found that quote fitting for the underwater movie he is about to make.

But this line of thinking doesn't prevent me from hoping that there might be some Lovecraftian influences, as the very thinking of that gives me a massive *****.
Apologies for the crude way of putting it.

:doh: This just keeps getting worse... I'll shut up now.

No, I think the proper response will be: He just gave us a fantastic Mad Max film, so let him give us the next chapter that's been promised to us.
:up:
Awesome news. Seriously, can we take a moment to appreciate the amazing talent WB has gotten for their DC movies so far?
This!
After WW, Aquaman is the DC hero I'm most looking forward to seeing onscreen. The history and mythology around this character can make for a standout film, very different from other CBMs. And Wan is a solid choice. Well played, WB.
:highfive:
Can you imagine how Themiscyra and Atlantis and their inhabitants will look if WETA is involved like they were with Snyder's Krypton?
:hubba

If this movie deals with a brewing conflict between the land dwellers and Atlanteans, Ocean Master could hire Black Manta to orchestrate attacks on military (or even civilian) vessels at sea - framing Atlantis as the responsible party. This, of course, incites fear in the world's nations and builds pressure for their leaders to take action against this growing threat. At the same time, Manta could attack Arthur and his loved ones, with the intention of deluding the people of Atlantis into thinking the land dwellers are attempting to assassinate their leadership.

All part of Ocean Master's plans to usurp the throne from Arthur and incite war - while building up Manta as a credible, deadly threat of his own.
:hmm
I agree!

I would seriously just adapt the New 52 but in a different order. Start with Throne of Atlantis (Orm), and then do Black Manta, then The Trench.
This!!

The possibilities of "horror expert James Wan meets The Trench" almost makes me salivate. That could be so cool/freaky, should the film choose to include them.
The Kraken, The Trench... wow
People piss and moan about DC films being "dark" and wish that WB would go more crowd pleasing with their super hero tent poles. WB hires director that just made a crowd pleasing tent pole to helm Aquaman... People piss and moan.
:shrug:

Tell me about it!

Same here. I like the story idea. And Wan being a good director can do wonders with a good script. I can't wait to see how Atlantis will look.
Oh yeah.

I never thought of Aquaman having a touch of horror but the more I think about it, the more I like it. And I hope nothing like what happened with Michelle MacLaren happens here. I want this pick to stay.
Just think of the aquatic creatures, the arquitecture... :ilv:
I think Wan probably has the leg-up on MacLaren, just due to having such extensive film experience (and especially on a blockbuster like Furious 7). MacLaren was really more of a gamble in this field.
Agreed
Warner Brothers gets a director that is known for his horror movies to direct Aquaman and he decides to draw inspiration from an author that is known for an aquatic monster.
YES!!!
Or comand it :sly:

Did King Arthur? And Momoa's Aquaman kinda evokes the image of Poseidon, the greek sea god. He rocked a beard as well.
:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"