Jared Leto IS The Joker - - - - - - Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely missed that, looks like it's from the cut scene where
Harley shoots the trucker and confronts The Joker

Yeah they had the audacity to insert bits of scenes we know they shot into their little montages in the movie :/

Part of the issue is with the writing too. I mean... "this hunka hunka" ???,

Exactly. This isn't the first version of a "gangster" Joker, that's what Nicholson played. And for all the gushing it receives, the animated version was heavily informed by B89 as well. They tried to make this Joker a more modern "gangsta" version if you will, but he's still a crime lord, no problem there, it could still work.

Leto just didn't have much to work with right now. Ledger deserves all the praise he got, but the fact is, it was all mostly there in the script. Ledger had to embody the part, all of the physical characteristics that were incredibly important, and bring it to life. But the writing had a lot to do with the interpretation as well, and people still don't give the Nolans enough credit for it. I don't think it's anywhere close to a fair comparison just based off that. There aren't too many instances where an actor overcame bad writing & editing...

Honestly people trying to judge Leto's Joker are almost like if people only saw Ben in Suicide Squad and tried to judge his Batman. And Ben actually had 2 scenes that weren't cut (other than chase scene which was cut), did Jared had any scenes that were actually beginning to end put into the movie?
Maybe ending and maybe that bit with lying with knives surrounding him
and those were extremely short

I don't think any amount of additional footage or a changed role could really improve this Joker for me. What really killed this take for me, above what I felt was missing the point of the Joker/Harley relationship, was Leto's performance that's about as enjoyable as a toddler screaming in your face for the duration of his mercifully short screen time.

That's what it comes down to for me too. Expand the role, make it darker, make his relationship with Harley more abusive, whatever, as long as it's still the same purring, posing *****e, I'm probably not gonna like it. I fundamentally don't like the performance.

I thought Leto sold that hunka hunka line, but that's just me. I didn't like the purring with Ike Barinholtz.

Leto just didn't have much to work with right now. Ledger deserves all the praise he got, but the fact is, it was all mostly there in the script. Ledger had to embody the part, all of the physical characteristics that were incredibly important, and bring it to life. But the writing had a lot to do with the interpretation as well, and people still don't give the Nolans enough credit for it. I don't think it's anywhere close to a fair comparison just based off that. There aren't too many instances where an actor overcame bad writing & editing...

Completely agreed.

me too, the purring and growling. i quite liked the animistic moving he was doing, at times like a shark, then like a snake, lion. always the predator.

Exactly. This isn't the first version of a "gangster" Joker, that's what Nicholson played. And for all the gushing it receives, the animated version was heavily informed by B89 as well. They tried to make this Joker a more modern "gangsta" version if you will, but he's still a crime lord, no problem there, it could still work.

You know.....you're right.

Leto was like a QB with a mediocre game plan. He makes the most of it. However, we really wont know how good he is until he gets better coaching. :cwink:
I thought Leto sold that hunka hunka line, but that's just me. I didn't like the purring with Ike Barinholtz.

Disliked the purring as well. However, the second he zoomed in and said "I believe you." He sold the hell out of that.

Leto has a lot of potential in the role. I just think this is what happens when you put the Joker as a side character in a non Batman movie.

Batman 89 and The Dark Knight had the Joker as the most important character in the movie. There just wasn't enough time here dedicated towards getting him right for his introduction. However, I'm still hopeful.

He's not Catwoman. He shouldn't be making purring sounds. It sounded stupid.

The hunka hunka line cracked me up... lols. There were some moments I really enjoyed of his but I wish we had seen more.

Comments in 2008
"He's not LL Cool J he shouldn't be constantly licking his lips."

Could count on one hand the number of times I saw that in 2008.

How often did you see that after the movie was released? That's one of many differences between Ledger and Letoker. The complaints pre release didn't go away post release of the movie. Including the stupid tats, grills, and bling jewelry.

Could count on one hand the number of times I saw that in 2008.

How often did you see that after the movie was released? That's one of many differences between Ledger and Letoker. The complaints pre release didn't go away post release of the movie.

Lol. People complained about that constantly back in 2008.

We heard a lot about the Tweety Bird voice before 2008. However, after all the monologuing (smart move by Nolan) it worked. It added to his charm as we actually got to hear him speak and hear his philosophy. However, after the movie IMDB and other places were filled with complaints about the Joker being distracting with the constant licking of his lips. I'm talking people who LOVED the performance were wondering whats up with the constantly licking of his lips?

Now days people don't focus on it or they just go with it. Its an amazing performance so why nitpick.

Did anyone read the Suicide Squad novelization yet? Just reading the sample reading (https://www.amazon.com/Suicide-Squa...&qid=1470749717&sr=1-3&keywords=suicide+squad) and it seems like on first glance that leaked descriptions of deleted scenes has more merrit seeing how the novel begins with Enchantress.

There is also a more detailed version of Joker and Harley's Arkham scene. Honestly the feel the Joker has is more like his classic comic counterpart(who's to say if this is what Joker actually said in the script, or a close approximation of it or some Marv Wolfman embellishment )

Jack Nicholson could have just as easily said that line and gotten a pass. I loved his quips. He just needs work on it more, he needs new direction and a tweak to his look

Also, ditch the grills and he actually would sound better instantly. He did the voice for just a sec on (Fallon I think?) and he sounded much more audible and crisp. Those grills were holding him back

I could easily see Jack Nicholson Joker say a close variety of that Hunka Hunka line to be honest:woot:

But I agree he needed some more added

That is true. It's often a collaboration between writer, actor and director in order to pull off a magnificent role. Actors can shine through ad lib and performance even if a drab role, and directors can make an actor shine even if he is

It's seems interesting, Jared Leto takes to be informed especially by Brian Azzarello take on the Joker (places of operations he chose, some of the henchman he had in his rank, Jonny Frost and looks/clothing he chose: http://comicbook.com/2016/07/12/the-joker-graphic-novel-by-azzarello-and-bermejo-influenced-look/ ) and like you pointed out B89 and TAS has Joker in a classic gangster/crime lord, but still in the Joker style (Joker gas, Joker/clown/circus themed). To be frank, most of Paul Dini Joker stories(Case Study, TAS, Batman: Streets of Gotham#19, etc) always carried a more gangster motif/vibe off the Joker when come to his persona than most others.

Even when citing his source of how he came to that, he cited the original books, in a different manner to how Nolan cited the original books in creating the Nolanverse Joker (just goes to show how different people can interpret the material in different ways):
http://www.cinemablend.com/news/154...-found-the-inspiration-for-its-gangster-joker
something like that, which is also coincident with the first Batman comics. Batman the detective from the '40s had Joker as this insane gangster. When you look at the '40s and what was going on in the world, this concept of an insane gangster begins to make sense in regards to the time. So by then taking the insane gangster idea, the minimal seed, the core seed of Joker, bringing him into the modern world, what would an insane gangster look like today? That's when you get the tattoos, the car, and the clothes, and the attitude..

I would have appreciated a more Joker feel in this take of a modernized gangster/crime lord approach to the Joker.

i really don't see what such a big deal it is about the tattoo's, the grill and the bling - the inspiration is clear as day and it works both in story and out - at least to me.

honestly, i sometimes think most of you who didn't like his joker have a problem that he just isn't ledger's joker - the asexual anarchy terrorist.

I think this Joker was very, idk, sexually suggestive...?

Did anyone read the Suicide Squad novelization yet? Just reading the sample reading (https://www.amazon.com/Suicide-Squa...&qid=1470749717&sr=1-3&keywords=suicide+squad) and it seems like on first glance that leaked descriptions of deleted scenes has more merrit seeing how the novel begins with Enchantress.

There is also a more detailed version of Joker and Harley's Arkham scene. Honestly the feel the Joker has is more like his classic comic counterpart(who's to say if this is what Joker actually said in the script, or a close approximation of it or some Marv Wolfman embellishment )

I've read the whole thing and I agree about Joker. He's got some really good lines in the book, and I too wonder if that's Ayer or Wolfman.

Lol. People complained about that constantly back in 2008.

No they didn't.

We heard a lot about the Tweety Bird voice before 2008. However, after all the monologuing (smart move by Nolan) it worked. It added to his charm as we actually got to hear him speak and hear his philosophy. However, after the movie IMDB and other places were filled with complaints about the Joker being distracting with the constant licking of his lips.

Tweety bird voice? Ok you're clearly just making stuff up now. IMDb of all places was one of the sites where it was most popular back in 2008. For a time it was sitting at the #1 spot;

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-dark-knight-voted-1-movie-of-all-time-on-imdb/

Now days people don't focus on it or they just go with it.

Because it was never an issue in the first place.

Last edited:
honestly, i sometimes think most of you who didn't like his joker have a problem that he just isn't ledger's joker - the asexual anarchy terrorist.

We'll file this one along with the petition to shut down Rotten Tomatoes, and blaming the Olympics for the box office.

I've read the whole thing and I agree about Joker. He's got some really good lines in the book, and I too wonder if that's Ayer or Wolfman.

I don't plan on reading it, but I'm curious. What were some lines from the book?

no, so was the joker. he was very in your face, no respect for personal space, even more so with men. very sexual aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"