Jared Leto IS The Joker - - - - - - - - - Part 18

100% untrue. Performance and writing do not go hand in hand. For example the MCU's characterization of The Mandarin was very controversial with fans, but Sir Ben Kingsley was not slammed for his acting performance. Conversely the likes of Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy was very comic accurate, as was Arnie's Mr. Freeze, but their performances were campy rubbish.

I'm not going to get into or start an argument about but each to their own. I think to say Leto's performamce was bad is just simply not true but if it wasn't for you then it wasn't for you.

:loco:

Will Smith is easily the best part of the movie.

That's why the whole plot is catered to him and his character. He's the best actor of the bunch, and by far the most entertaining.

Notice I said Will Smith, and not Deadshot.

Second best would be the underused Viola Davis as Amanda Waller.

Third best was EASILY Ike Barinholtz. Dude was hilarious.

And then 4th was Margot Robbie's pretty face, makeup, and costume design. Some of her scenes were ok, but most of the dialogue was atrocious. And some of the humor was terrible. "Killer App". "What is that, the stench of death?"

The rest of the characters were terrible. Either written, or performed. Especially the highly offensive racial stereotypes.

Oh, the Flash cameo was actually legit. And fun.

It's just opinions end of the day, people can like the film for reasons they do. You're opinion is your sm you don't have a right to act like people are wrong for liking the film for reasons they do. The film is only or mostly watchable for Deadshot for you and that's fine but others saying it's because of Harley and the Joker have a right to that opinion also. I personally loved SS for Deadshot, Harley, the Joker, Waller and surprisingly to me Diablo, who was the heart of the film IMO. I'm not wrong for thinking that or liking the film.

To be flamboyant, OTT, and theatrical, is to be gay? :wow:

Pretty ridiculous statement to make isn't it? Infact I'd go as far as to say it's childish.

Definitely. If you automatically think that about Leto's performance - or any performance from, say, movies and musicals in the 50's, even nowadays from actors - then you have a pretty narrow-minded perspective.

I've seen performers onstage act like flamingoes and they're as straight as they come in real-life.

And there was nothing "gay" about Leto's performance. It was flamboyant, yes, but "gay"? :huh: It's called being theatrical.

Definitely. If you automatically think that about Leto's performance - or any performance from, say, movies and musicals in the 50's, even nowadays from actors - then you have a pretty narrow-minded perspective.

I've seen performers onstage act like flamingoes and they're as straight as they come in real-life.

And there was nothing "gay" about Leto's performance. It was flamboyant, yes, but "gay"? :huh: It's called being theatrical.

Agreed, calling something or someone "gay" as an insult is just pathetic and childish. There are homo sexual people in the world same way there are heterosexual or bi-secxual people, etc. We all act differently that doesn't make us "straight" or "gay" or whatever. It makes us human beings with different personalities. If someone is flamboyant it doesn't automatically make them gay.

That's something Harley could have easily said in animated series.

Love that you are talking of "highly offensive racial stereotypes" after saying Leto had "gay mannerisms".
That doesn't make it any less cringe worthy and not funny. The killer app one especially, in multiple viewings no one laughed. Dead silent.

I'm not offended by the racial stereotypes. I should of noted them just being way too cliche. Reflecting back to poor writing?

Leto did have gay mannerisms. The scene in particular I'm referring to is when he straddles and sits on a guy's lap as if he's about to give him a lap dance while softly purring.

My statement on that has no reflection negatively on being gay. So don't get your pc panties in a twist. Or try to manipulate what I said to mean something else.

There has been one incarnation where Joker is rather sexually ambiguous towards Batman (TDKR) but Leto's mannerisms in that scene did seem rather sexual than it was just being theatrical.

Let's not get off on a tangent, focus on his crappy performance as a whole.

That doesn't make it any less cringe worthy and not funny. The killer app one especially, in multiple viewings no one laughed. Dead silent.

I'm not offended by the racial stereotypes. I should of noted them just being way too cliche. Reflecting back to poor writing?

Leto did have gay mannerisms. The scene in particular I'm referring to is when he straddles and sits on a guy's lap as if he's about to give him a lap dance while softly purring.

My statement on that has no reflection negatively on being gay. So don't get your pc panties in a twist. Or try to manipulate what I said to mean something else.

There has been one incarnation where Joker is rather sexually ambiguous towards Batman (TDKR) but Leto's mannerisms in that scene did seem rather sexual than it was just being theatrical.

Let's not get off on a tangent, focus on his crappy performance as a whole.

It's pointless discussing Leto's Joker with you because you have your opinion and you're unwilling to let anyone else have there's.

That final statement shows a lack of maturity, I could finish my post off with a sentence like "his performance was great enough said" it's not really adding anything and it's quite stand offish saying those that don't are wrong. No ones wrong for liking his take or disliking it but a mature discussion would be a lot better than the aggressive approach to my opinion or none.

Such a comment is bred of pure immaturity and nothing else.

a6ae1b0a52d4f23e40b8d7a0e2855571.jpg

Regardless of what you think about Jared Leto's performance, I think he got nominated for a Razzie because it's fashionable to hate him. I mean seriously, he was in "Suicide Squad" for something like 7 minutes. That's a cameo, not a supporting actor role. If he wins it, I think it will be out of meanness. I know a lot of the fanboys and a number of the critics hated his Joker, but the biggest complaint I read from among the general audience was that he wasn't in the movie enough. That would be an odd complaint to make about a performance they thought was bad.

That's a contradiction. If the general audience's only complaint was he wasn't in it enough then it wouldn't be "fashionable" to hate him if that was the dominant complaint.

Also 7 minutes or 17 minutes, performance is judged by quality, not quantity. Judi Dench won an Oscar for Shakespeare in Love and she only had 8 minutes of screen time. Same for Anthony Quinn in Lust for Life etc. The shortest screen time Oscar nom is for 2 minutes by Herimone Baddley for Room at the Top. Plus there is a ton of other Oscar nominations for performances under 10 minutes.

Leto deserves his nomination. If he wins it, it will be justified, but Eisenberg still deserves it more than him.

Last edited:
But those performances and their respective screen-time still have nothing to do with audiences wanting Leto's Joker to have had more screen-time himself.

I haven't seen any general audience members stating he would've been better if he had more scenes, just that they simply wanted more of him.

Those performances and their respective screen time were nominated/won Oscars, despite their similar short screen time to Letoker. Previous poster said Letoker doesn't deserve a nom because he had short screen time. Which is baloney. It's about quality not quantity, which is why performances with short screen time like that garner nominations and wins.

I think that Leto is deserving of the nomination.

I did NOT like what I saw from him in Suicide Squad, which is really disappointing, because I thought he was going to be a great choice for the role. I even held out hope for him despite the atrocious character design and tattoos.

lol Michael Caine was also a better alfred than Jeremy Irons, you know why? Not because he's a better actor, but because he's better written and has more character to him. It's all Apples and Oranges, I don't see how you can compare one universe to another with all the variables involved in production and style of films

Regardless of what you think about Jared Leto's performance, I think he got nominated for a Razzie because it's fashionable to hate him. I mean seriously, he was in "Suicide Squad" for something like 7 minutes. That's a cameo, not a supporting actor role. If he wins it, I think it will be out of meanness. I know a lot of the fanboys and a number of the critics hated his Joker, but the biggest complaint I read from among the general audience was that he wasn't in the movie enough. That would be an odd complaint to make about a performance they thought was bad.

He literally only exists to give background to Harley's character, it's such BS. Shouldn't have even bothered with Joker until he was in a Batman movie.

Last edited:

That certainly seems to be the "cool thing" to do amongst hardcore Batman fans, anyway.

Maybe it's just a widespread opinion? Nobody is PRETENDING to hate Leto's performance and secretly loving it.

Maybe it's just a widespread opinion? Nobody is PRETENDING to hate Leto's performance and secretly loving it.

The internet widely wrote him off before the movie even came out lol. I remember constantly downplaying people because he's one of the best actors out there but people were just all pissy cause of the way Joker looks, the fact he's a musician, and that they believe every bs exaggerated article out there.

People wrote off Heath Ledger's Joker when he was cast. The guy from A Knight's Tale and 10 Things I hate About You as the Joker? Unthinkable! He was probably one of the most controversial casting decisions for a CBM. Then there was those who were iffy about the make up over permawhite issue when his look was revealed. But that all fizzled away and everyone loved him when they saw the movie. Because he showed his greatness.

Leto had the chance to impress in the movie, and he failed. He gets disliked because his performance and characterization was weak. Period.

Ledger's was a decent performance of a kind of elseworlds Joker. Shame about the stupid facepaint, though. Leto was similar: okay performance, dumb design choices.

We have still yet to see a great on-screen Joker.

You've got some high standards!

The internet widely wrote him off before the movie even came out lol. I remember constantly downplaying people because he's one of the best actors out there but people were just all pissy cause of the way Joker looks, the fact he's a musician, and that they believe every bs exaggerated article out there.

What does his performance have to do with his musical career?

What happened before the movie came out is irrelevant. The performance speaks for itself, and people will have an opinion on it. Like The Joker said, there was a huge backlash when Heath was cast. He won people over. Leto didn't. It's that simple.

I remember a member suggesting that maybe people "hate" him because of their own personal feelings towards individuals with tattoos in real life, and even now I still think that rings all too true.

As for the last portion of your post, they still believe every exaggerated article. There are actually still people that think he sent out used condoms even though Leto denied it and even said in an interview it's funny seeing people get worked up over something that isn't true.

:funny:

People hate him because of their personal feelings towards tattoos? It's a miracle then that El Diablo who is in the same movie didn't get slammed for his myriad of tattoos :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"