Jason Statham to take on Meg

Saw this the other day and thought it was ok for what it was—entertaining and a lot of fun, but it wasn't as edgy as it could've been. Really would've benefited from an R rating IMO, like others have said. Especially in the last act when the shark was
eating all those people just off the beach—that was sooo tame compared to the similar scene in Piranha 3D when people were getting limbs cut off and even torn in half. The only hint that people even got eaten by the shark was the quick shot of dead bodies stuck in its mouth, but even that was so brief it was practically blink-and-you-miss-it.

Also I usually like Jason Statham, but he just felt off in this movie. Definitely would've worked better with a more charismatic lead.

Last edited:
I thought it was fun. Closer to Sharknado than the shallows and jaws but that’s ok. I would have been happier with more of the shark. I was sometimes bored when it wasn’t on.

I’ve been to some of the places seen in the movie, I would have just been happy with a movie about the meg taking a holiday

i am shocked i thought this movie wouldnt make a 100mill domestic with the crowded summer but its on its way to 150mill domestic and it will be jason statham's biggest solo outing congrats to him

i am shocked i thought this movie wouldnt make a 100mill domestic with the crowded summer but its on its way to 150mill domestic and it will be jason statham's biggest solo outing congrats to him

Nice. I had fun with it, that's all what was important to me. I'm not even a Statham fan, I typically find him as dull as cardboard.

It just goes to show anyone can achieve their dreams if you costar with a giant shark.

I wonder when we’ll get a sequel?

So, just what attacked the sub if the Meg hadnt been released yet?

Was thinking that tbh but then I thought that it would have to be some octopus/squid given the size of the sub - if there was already such a massive creature in our ocean someone surely would have seen it at some point

and

if it, as possibly other creatures, are already out in the ocean then the whole Marianas trench/thermocline cloud thing is surely a bit void.

The more I think about it the more I'm stumped.

This movie is doing a lot better than I expected, even domestically. I didn't expect it go do $100M in North America and it has. I wonder if they are going to try for a sequel. We know how well that went with Jaws.

I thought the sub that Jonas was rescuing had slipped below the thermocline cloud without realizing.

Wasn’t the sub below the layer and into The Meg’s Environment?

See, now that makes sense - Jonas has already been there - it's just that I can't recall them establishing that.

Last edited:
I don't think they established that at all. That was a pretty big plot hole.

I enjoyed this film. Not great, but a good popcorn movie.

Saw the movie last week and I totally understand why it's doing so well at the BO.

The Meg is a really very good blockbuster to end the summer. It was thoroughly entertaining and really enjoyable.

I was afraid that the movie will be more about a team getting the better of the megalodon but I was happy to see Statham take centre stage and the Statham v Meg fight lived up-to it's billing. It was glorious.

But

the movie lacked violence. The sense of dread was there but the movie needed to spill more blood. I mean seriously, where dafuq was the blood & gore?? I was promised that the big a$$ Meg will sneak up -on unsuspecting folks at the beach and munch on them. But where was it shown?? The movie was heavily neutered & watered down for the PG13 money.

Last edited:
I was just looking at Box office mojo and it's made over half a billion in it'sa cinema run! :wow: That must have vastl;y exceeded expectations, I'm surprised they haven't announced a sequel yet. :D

Domestic: $142,598,364
+ Foreign: $383,400,000
= Worldwide: $525,998,364

I'm sure they are trying to figure it out. It took almost 20 years to get this one to screen.

All these years of trying to get it out and when they get near to releasing it, so critical yells of "it'll flop!" only for it to take in half a billion. It wasn't a great movie by any means but it wasn't terrible either despite the critics. This movie found a cheesy place to go and people ate it up.

The How Did This Get Made? episode for this was great.

Why not? It’s just hungry. I’ve been hungry before. No reason for Jason statham to hassle me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"