Jesus Married

Godzilla2000 said:
Yep. I think Earth would be better off without humans on it sometimes. Just look what we do to our environment and other humans. It's ghastly how cold and vicious the whole of humanit is. Just look at what we see on the news every night. It's sick how we are destroying everything that should be preserved in this world.
Wilhelm-Scream said:
Yup.

I'm against the idea of Jesus being married because there's no record of it in the Bible. If something so important would have happened, then it would have been recorded. Why would I be against marraige anyhow if it's of God? If Jesus had been married, that wouldn't have taken anything away from him, as it wouldn't have been sinful. If he had sex after marraige, nothing wrong with that. He wouldn't have been tainted in the slightest. The Bible calls people to focus only on God, but if you choose to marry then so be it, God bless. Nothing wrong with Jesus being married. But fact remains, it wasn't recorded, thus I highly doubt it happened.

And those reading and believing the Da Vinci Code. Before any firm stance is made on it I'd suggest reading some other stuff that counter the statements written there. There's two books that I know of. The title of one is "Breaking the Da Vinci Code" and the other is something along the lines of "the Da Vinci Deception" if I'm not mistaken. They're both written by historians who explain the things that Dan Brown either failed to mention or got wrong historically. Even if you aren't a christian, or whatever, it's always good to get both sides of a story before dubbing one fact (especially when that "factual" one is a work of fiction, even stated so by the author)

JewishHobbit said:
Nothing wrong with Jesus being married. But fact remains, it wasn't recorded, thus I highly doubt it happened.

Ever think that it DID happen, and WAS recorded, but kept OUT of the bible?

SuperDude said:
For some reason so many people have a huge problem with the idea that Jesus would be married. Now, I am a pretty hardcore Christian, Church every single Sunday, pay 10% income to tithing, the whole shabang, and I honestly do not see why Jesus wouldn't get married. Now some denominations believe in celebecy and I could see where Jesus having a marital status would be contrast to their believes, but for the rest of the Christians, what's the beef?

If you're a "hardcore christian" then you'd have a problem with this premise. I'm not into tireless debates over serious issues online but there was no reason to for Jesus to get married (one), even Paul urges those who CAN abstain to do so (two), it wouldn't make sense for the disciples to cover it up and not mention it in the gospels (three), there IS NO cover up b/c Jesus lived a perfect live so there was no reason to muddle things up with a wife (four), why would Jesus NEED or WANT a wife when he's God's Son! (five), and since Jesus is both God's Son and part of the Holy Trinity, there is NO reason to single out a person for marriage (six)...in fact, when you read your Bible, you'll notice that "the church" is Christ's bride...(seven).

boyscouT said:

Dan Brown, Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln did and they've been refuted by top scholars and historians.

Bad Superman said:
Dan Brown, Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln did and they've been refuted by top scholars and historians.

Dan Brown admits, ADMITS his work is ficticious! People are gullable for conspiracy and ready-and-willing to tear down Christianity. For Brown, all this does is stir the pot for his book, movie, and future endeavors so there's no reason for him to completely step out there and say, "hey, don't take ANYTHING i write seriously!" He's raking in benefits from this contraversy so don't look for him to take some important stand in this matter.

Prognosticator said:
Dan Brown admits, ADMITS his work is ficticious! People are gullable for conspiracy and ready-and-willing to tear down Christianity. For Brown, all this does is stir the pot for his book, movie, and future endeavors so there's no reason for him to completely step out there and say, "hey, don't take ANYTHING i write seriously!" He's raking in benefits from this contraversy so don't look for him to take some important stand in this matter.

What about the other 3?

Getting married and having sex is not a sin and never was considered a sin. In fact there were many kings in the old testament in the bible that had many wives. The fact that priests don't get married and take a life of celibacy, i would guess, is to be closer like jesus. Jesus was considered in the bible to be completely pure and free of sin. Whether you believe that or not is up to you. But, if you think about it in its context, then Jesus if truely was the living embodiment of GOD, then he would be free of sin. And since most sexual acts invovle lust, I would think Jesus would be beyond those type of feelings. Just my opinion.

Prognosticator said:

Just clearing things up. Many people believe his fiction as fact.

I thought this was interesting:

NGUYEN: Let's talk quickly about the Mary Magdalene controversy. That has got a lot of people questioning it, Mr. Garlow what do you think?

GARLOW: Well, he builds his entire case for that upon the gospel of Phillip, which is written in 250 A.D., a questionable piece of literature. Now you can either follow something that was written 250 years after the fact or you can follow those writers who were with Jesus closer to his time frame, like 50 A.D., when Paul was writing or the gospels written by 70 A.D., which were people who were actually with Jesus.

There's no biblical evidence at all that Jesus was married, or any kind of a sexual companion to Mary Magdalene, like Dan Brown suggests. He is relying on text much later and considerably less reliability.

NGUYEN: OK. James Garlow and Peter Jones authors of "Cracking the DaVinci Code," we appreciate your time.

boyscouT said:

Sorry, I'll stick with the facts rather than rumor or conspiracy theories that historians have difuted time and time again.

JewishHobbit said:
Sorry, I'll stick with the facts rather than rumor or conspiracy theories that historians have difuted time and time again.

hmmmmm we'll never know if its a fact if ppl dont man up!

boyscouT said:
hmmmmm we'll never know if its a fact if ppl dont man up!

I agree, we should did them dead people up and make them man up.:up:

Strange said:
Getting married and having sex is not a sin and never was considered a sin. In fact there were many kings in the old testament in the bible that had many wives. The fact that priests don't get married and take a life of celibacy, i would guess, is to be closer like jesus. Jesus was considered in the bible to be completely pure and free of sin. Whether you believe that or not is up to you. But, if you think about it in its context, then Jesus if truely was the living embodiment of GOD, then he would be free of sin. And since most sexual acts invovle lust, I would think Jesus would be beyond those type of feelings. Just my opinion.

Just to add to this, it's my understanding from what I know of the Bible that sex before marriage is a sin. And for a guy who rebuked Satan several times, I think yes, he would be immune to Satan's best tool, lust.

Godzilla2000 said:
Just to add to this, it's my understanding from what I know of the Bible that sex before marriage is a sin. And for a guy who rebuked Satan several times, I think yes, he would be immune to Satan's best tool, lust.

lust is one hell of a drug.

boyscouT said:
lust is one hell of a drug.

Which is why it is one of Satan's most potent traps. You know how the old saying goes...catching flies with honey.

I thought I heard that it was unthinkable for a rabbi not to be married and that everyone called him "rabbi".

Godzilla2000 said:
Which is why it is one of Satan's most potent traps. You know how the old saying goes...catching flies with honey.

:confused:

Never heard that old saying... but I shall add it to my list of old sayings, now totaling 1.

I am a Christian but I will still enjoy seeing the Da Vinci Code, I know its a work of fiction but it does look entertaining. As far as people calling the bible fiction, I guess that is their opinion and really there are no facts to back it up. But, just to play devils advocate to myself, I did read an interesting story once that said Emperor Constantine, who was a Roman emperor sometime around the year 300, created the bible to unite people under one religion. I got to thinking about it and if Constantine had enough scholars, he could have them collaborate together to write the bible, or at least the new testament. Then they could have stored several copies around to be found at later dates, and with the reliablity of carbon dating and and it being such an early time, around the year 300, it could be plausable. I don't believe it but it could have happened and I don't think we would ever know.

boyscouT said:
What about the other 3?

people, even professors, political analysts, etc.. all have a voice in today's' society. the media age has "created" a voice for everyone (that's why we're even here right now), but the downside to this is that you can barely tell who's credible and who isn't anymore. With EVERYONE having a voice, the media's created a problem in that SO many people come out and have something to say, but so few have anything CREDIBLE to say at all. We take opinion for fact so often these days simply b/c someone came on CNN to say it, or a professor gave a speech over something and "that" gives him/her merit. The problem is too often we mistake opinion for truth, and fail to even recognize when a Professor/Researcher/Scientist only label's their opinion as a theory to begin with...

I'm saying this to say I haven't studied up on the three other people you mention in particular and i won't speculate what they've said. But I will say that to throw four names up doesn't mean anything anymore (on a hot-button topic like this one), to be honest. Our post-modern society is based on the idea of "Relativism" now, meaning "what's true for you isn't necessarily true for me", and unfortunately it degrades both yours and my beliefs.

so no, i don't know what these others have said, but its funny how quickly someone will stack up 3 or 4 or even 10 theorists against 100,000, 200,000, 1,000,000 theologians, professors, historians of the other side of the issue.

JewishHobbit said:

in agreement

He was married. For a weekend. In Vegas. Thank God for anullments.

Strange said:
I am a Christian but I will still enjoy seeing the Da Vinci Code, I know its a work of fiction but it does look entertaining. As far as people calling the bible fiction, I guess that is their opinion and really there are no facts to back it up. But, just to play devils advocate to myself, I did read an interesting story once that said Emperor Constantine, who was a Roman emperor sometime around the year 300, created the bible to unite people under one religion. I got to thinking about it and if Constantine had enough scholars, he could have them collaborate together to write the bible, or at least the new testament. Then they could have stored several copies around to be found at later dates, and with the reliablity of carbon dating and and it being such an early time, around the year 300, it could be plausable. I don't believe it but it could have happened and I don't think we would ever know.

i'm in agreement with pretty much all of what strange is saying. i'm looking forward to the movie as well.

but in regards to the emperor constantine and what we will never truely know in our lifetime; that's why we have important words like "faith".

There is a level of trust that Christains have over the validity of the Bible. I believe that the authors of the Bible were "inspired" by the Holy Spirit, that God has impressed his people to author it in order that His word be manifested correctly.

I don't believe the Bible would have lasted as long as it has if it were just "passed around" and "reinterpreted by people" over and over. It is a Sovereign word from God to His people and delivers a clear message that isn't in dispute. I don't question the validity of The Bible because I have faith that it is accurately concepted by God through man.

(i'm in NO WAY soapboxing hear, i just want to be clearer about my beliefs on the consistency of the bible)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"