The Rise of Skywalker JJ Abrams is Writing and Directing Episode IX

J. J. Abrams: “To have no script [for Star Wars: Episode IX] and to have a release date and have it be essentially a two-year window when you’re saying (to yourself), you’ve got two years from the decision to do it to release, and you have literally nothing . . . . You don’t have the story, you don’t have the cast, you don’t have the designers, the sets. There was a crew, and there were things that will be worked on for the version that preceded ours, but this was starting over. And because this was such a mega job, I knew at the very least I needed a cowriter to work on this thing, but I didn’t know [then] who that cowriter would be. There was nothing.” (April 9, 2019)

J. J. Abrams: "But it was a completely unknown scenario. I had some gut instincts about where the story would have gone. But without getting in the weeds on episode eight, that was a story that Rian wrote and was telling based on seven before we met. So he was taking the thing in another direction. So we also had to respond to Episode VIII. So our movie was not just following what we had started, it was following what we had started and then had been advanced by someone else. So there was that, and, finally, it was resolving nine movies. While there are some threads of larger ideas and some big picture things that had been conceived decades ago and a lot of ideas that Lawrence Kasdan and I had when we were doing Episode VII, the lack of absolute inevitability, the lack of a complete structure for this thing, given the way it was being run was an enormous challenge. However, to answer your question—truly, finally—now that I’m back, the difference is I feel like we might’ve done it. Like, I actually feel like this crazy challenge that could have been a wildly uncomfortable contortion of ideas, and a kind of shoving-in of answers and Band-Aids and bridges and things that would have felt messy. Strangely, we were sort of relentless and almost unbearably disciplined about the story and forcing ourselves to question and answer some fundamental things that at the beginning, I absolutely had no clue how we would begin to address. I feel like we’ve gotten to a place—without jinxing anything or sounding more confident than I deserve to be—I feel like we’re in a place where we might have something incredibly special. So I feel relief being home, and I feel gratitude that I got to do it. And more than anything, I’m excited about what I think we might have.” (April 9, 2019)

Even if JJ is telling the truth, I'd almost rather he lie :D

I mean "yay" to an overall optimistic sounding result for 9, but what the hell have Disney been doing? Not just the lack of an overall plan (the importance of which I find to be over-stated), but more importantly the schedule they've been forcing just seems unnecessary. We've been conditioned to wait 3 years between chapters since 1980, so it boggles the mind to think the approach has been "here's a release date, now go go go".

Looking forward to the film regardless of course. It's been a damn strange journey so far though.

Well look, Disney doesn't look at it from a story standpoint. They want a huge event people will see and will make billions of dollars.

J. J. Abrams: "You're right [to have your mind set bonkers like with questions about 'Who is the Skywalker'? 'Is Rey a Skywalker?']. Well the title [Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker] feels like it's the right title for this movie and I know it's provocative and asks a bunch of questions. But I think when you see the movie you'll see how it's intended and what it means but in the flow of titles this movie had a very weird responsibility - it had to be the end of not just three movies but nine movies - and the idea of having to incorporate the stories that have come before strangely is the story of the movie [itself] which is to say that it is the characters in the film inheriting everything that has come before in previous generations whether it's sins of the father, whether it's the wisdom they've acquired, and the question is can this new generation - are they up to the task? Can they stand up to what they have to and so in a way I feel like we coming into this movie have interited a lot and the question is can we do it? It's a question we ask ourselves every day." "I look forward for people to see the movie so they can see what happens [about undoing Rey's parentage reveal moment from Star Wars: The Last Jedi]."

Last edited:
J. J. Abrams: "There had been ideas that we've had since we started working on [Episode] VII, there are ideas that George [Lucas] had when he began working on Episode IV, we met with George before we started writing the script [for Episode IX], this was a long process but I feel like at the end of the day the goal is to create something that gives a sense of surprise and thrill and heartbreak." (April 12, 2019)

J. J. Abrams: "Well we knew this was the ending so this is not...we're not trying to play games and this is very much about bringing the story to a conclusion so I hope [you get all the answers you need]." (April 12, 2019)

Last edited:
I just have to say something. I've considered myself of JJ as a director since seeing MI:3 in theaters back in 2006. I've seen all of his movies in theaters since then, and have found them all at least good, and always insanely entertaining. I have also been one of those fans who has been occasionally tough on him and have sometimes found that his films have fallen frustratingly shy of greatness for me. I definitely enjoy TFA despite some issues with it (that I attribute as much to him having to work under crazy time constraints more than anything), and I'm seemingly one of the few who actually does prefer TLJ and what it did with the mythology overall.

All of that to say that everything he is saying about Episode IX has been music to my ears, the teaser blew me away, and I'm really happy he's the one doing this movie. It seems like he really took this one on with a real sense of responsibility, poise and an understanding of what this movie needs to be.

The only thing I really just hope is that he doesn't shy away from a longer running time to do this story justice. I hope it isn't as furiously paced as TFA. The whole opening sequence of the teaser screamed "epic", as in the true sense of the word, not the overplayed internet one. So I hope the movie can convey that sense of an ultimate showdown between good and evil, for all the marbles, with that overwhelming sense of vastness and wonder. I'm not asking for 3 hours, though it'd sure be nice. But I think 2:40ish is almost a must.

Last edited:
With as much as this film is taking on, being the conclusion to a nine-part series, I can't see it being less than two and a half hours. It has to be epic in scope.

I honestly can see this being close to 3 hrs. It doesn't have to be but I see it as a possibility.

I gotta think it will be well over 2 hours long though not in the Endgame length. He's tieing up lose ends, resolving storylines, connecting the trilogy and the previous six films, and introducing new elements.

There's really no reason for filler storylines or padding in this thing at this point.

I definitely think this could hit the three hour mark.

I mean yeah, if Endgame can be 3 hours, I see no reason why Episode IX can't be. That film is wrapping up 11 years of story. This is wrapping up 42 years and you're talking about a multi-generational epic. I guess the reason I'm slightly concerned about it is JJ has yet to make a film that exceeds 2:15 (TFA) let alone something that approached the 3 hour mark. He's very plugged into that Amblin era/style of filmmaking, and movies were shorter then. In most cases I'd say that's a good thing, but in this case everyone would be on board with a lengthy, meaty film.

J. J. Abrams: "We've gotten a lot of flack for people saying, 'Oh Force Awakens was just a remake of [A] New Hope', and while that was something that obviously was never the intention it was about introducing new characters, using the old and there's a natural sense in any hero's journey of certain tenants that will come to play. We very much wanted to make sure that we were not somehow inadvertently being so influenced by one thing, however the job of [Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker] is to be the end of nine films. So we can't ignore the fact that we come from Episodes I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, and VIII. So it wasn't about saying, 'Let's choose that one and let's do a riff on that,' it was more how do these stories culminate and that was our job."

J. J. Abrams: "We've gotten a lot of flack for people saying, 'Oh Force Awakens was just a remake of [A] New Hope', and while that was something that obviously was never the intention it was about introducing new characters, using the old and there's a natural sense in any hero's journey of certain tenants that will come to play. We very much wanted to make sure that we were not somehow inadvertently being so influenced by one thing, however the job of [Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker] is to be the end of nine films. So we can't ignore the fact that we come from Episodes I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, and VIII. So it wasn't about saying, 'Let's choose that one and let's do a riff on that,' it was more how do these stories culminate and that was our job."

….'but particularly Return of the Jedi'...

Speaking of which, Rian Johnson remade parts of TESB and ROTJ. Even Luke fighting Kylo was a new riff on Obi-Wan fighting Darth Vader in IV. Rey returning in the Falcon was a riff on Han Solo's change of heart in IV and returning to help Luke by taking out the TIE Fighters.

J. J. Abrams: “If you’re a kid watching this a hundred years from now, five hundred years from now, you see this inevitability of this story conclude in a way that feels thrilling and shocking and funny and emotional and satisfying.” (April 12, 2019 – Celebration 2019 Behind-The-Scenes Reel)

Q: Is that something like, you've had the rare option of like, you started [it], Rian [Johnson] did the middle, and you're coming back - how is the trajectory of that to I'm sure you had an idea of where the characters would go. Are you going with that where you started? Have you veered off of Rian? Are you sort of working your way back? How does that creative process work?
J. J. Abrams:
Working on Episode IX was a particular challenge. We had eight movies that came before it that we needed to draw to a conclusion. Luckily we had characters that felt rich and deep and in a way we hadn't even I felt really hadn't explored as much as we could yet and looking at the unbelievable Saga, looking at the opportunity, and the challenges...there was greater opportunity than there was challenge and so I feel super lucky that I got to be involved working with Chris Terrio the writer to tell the story and bring it to a close. So there was a lot of infinite challenges and pressures but it was ultimately a greater opportunity.

Q: You're making a film. You're concluding a trilogy which is a conclusion of a trilogy of trilogies. How challenging was it to make...to answer like all the adventure that we've had for forty years in one film?
JJA:
That's sort of what I was just saying. Looking at all of them, that was really the ultimate challenge of the movie was making something that's a standalone movie, that is hopefully a thrill ride, emotional story, surprising, fun, scary, heartbreaking...everything. But also something that is in a way inheriting everything that's come before and it's very much what the characters are going through in the movie: it's about a new generation dealing with the good and the bad of what's come before - sins of the father but also the accomplishments, the achievements, what wisdom has been imparted. How do you deal with something that is as terrifying as what they do and that to me is the power of Star Wars: you can tell stories like that.

Q: How surpising is the final thirty minutes of the film to 2016 J.J. Abrams?
JJA:
Well I can't wait for you to see it. I don't want to tell you anything about it but I will say that I think that it is what...it's a third act that I think - we're actually cutting it right now - but it is a pretty exciting chunk of the movie.

Last edited:
Man, he's saying the right things. I love the viewpoint of this being a culmination; I love that resolving the whole saga is front and center in his mind. JJ seems to appreciate the gravity of the story that he's holding, and the fact that he's apprehensively telling people he thinks this could be special.... well, it's exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"