John Wick: Chapter 4

Alot of the action sequences in mainstream films does look pretty crappy compared to this series, but at least some filmmakers out there are starting to actually take the time to notice and feel inspired.

I feel like without the success of this franchise we wouldn't get quality stuff like Nobody, Violent Night or Sisu which is pretty much John Wick set during World War II which is a pretty cool concept IMO.

Even if you don't love those movies the influence is clearly there, and we need more of it within the modern action genre IMO if its ever going to be able to compete with the success of the big blockbusters.

Hell, this franchise alone looks better than 99% of the blockbusters that come out nowadays which is something I've been saying since John Wick 2 and that still makes no sense to me considering these movies don't cost $200-$300M dollars to make yet from a technical standpoint put a lot of these movies to shame.

Visually, that Osaka sequence was absolutely breathtaking on the bigscreen.

For one thing, I like the dynamic lighting of this movie. It's not devoid of color despite lots of characters wearing black and the dark subject matter. I hate it when movies try to mess with the color correction too much, ie the Snyder-verse films. It is any wonder people are so polarized and argumentative about the movie? Look at them. They just make you feel depressed and angry.

Yeah, Justin Lin directed 4 F&F films in a row - Tokyo Drift, F&F, Fast Five and FF6.

He also did F9 and about to have Fast X released. So that's 6 films total he's done in the franchise.
Didn’t he leave Fast X early on? So Louis Leterrier is getting credit for that one?

It is extraordinary.

Honestly, I can't choose. I feel like Osaka probably plays to my sensibilities better, but by the time we get to the stairs in Paris, there is just something uncanny about how it grips the crowd. My audience reacted to every single part of the climb.
All I know is I sat there completely dumbfounded at one point during the Paris stuff thinking “I know damn well two of the greatest segments of action I’ve ever seen aren’t in the same damn movie?!” You can’t even say two of the best action scenes, because holy hell both sequences are multiple action scenes built together as a ball of awesomeness.

This movie was FRICKING BANANAS. And that's considering how insane the prior movies were but wow they outdid themselves with 4.

Wild movie with awesome action setpieces. Ordinarily a movie that has ridiculously long action scenes tend to bore me but what's on display here was addictive to watch. And man nobody confirms a kill in cinema quite like John Wick.

Also I'm down for a Mr. Nobody and/or Akira spinoff.

I think a video game, with Reeves doing motion capture work, covering his early years would be so damn cool.
Honestly I think that's the best option for the "let's see John's impossible mission" prequel. Because I don't think age-wise, Keanu can pull off a pre-Helen John in live-action at this point, and we already know how it all ends up anyway, so a videogame seems like it would be the most fun way to give us that story.

Timeline wise how long ago was this “impossible mission” and Helen’s passing? I dont think they need to de-age Keanu.

John Wick thru John Wick - Chapter 3 takes place in 2014, being only 3ish weeks of John's life...

And, Chapter 4 starts in 2015 depending on the amount of a time jump 'healing period' after Chapter 3.

So, his last mission was sometime in 2008/2009.

Honestly I think that's the best option for the "let's see John's impossible mission" prequel. Because I don't think age-wise, Keanu can pull off a pre-Helen John in live-action at this point, and we already know how it all ends up anyway, so a videogame seems like it would be the most fun way to give us that story.
Plus I’d want to see Viggo in a story like that, and Michael Nyqvist passed away a few years ago.

Did anyone else have a "In Memory of Lance Reddick" at the start of the movie?? I was pleasantly surprised to see it. Thought he had passed too late to get one added to it.

Potential spin off idea:

Caine back to working, with Akira an ever lurking presence. Something happens (she meets his daughter, realizes why he did it), where eventually they become allies, he save hers, she saves him, he takes her under his wing.

This was one rollercoaster ride i absolutely loved. Holy ****. I will never forget my cinema experience with this film. I pity the folks who will watch on streaming services. A film like this DESERVES to be watched on the big screen. Beautiful cinematography, Soundtrack was pumping. Action sequences....well lets just say there was certain points where i actually had to take a breath and muttered " Wow " I randomly shouted " GIVE IT TO HIM " Quinn style(Blade) when these muppets kept coming thick and thin . Outstanding set pieces especially a " Particular " overhead sequence. The locations and underworld of this universe just sucks you in. The tattoos, initiations, clubs, hotels etc and finally the performances. Everyone was fantastic, just a straight up pleasure to watch, my personal highlights were Donnie Yen, Hiroyuki and in particular Scott Adkins. Nice to see him shine in a major blockbuster. Bill Skarsgard was a great addition too and of course the legend himself Keanu Reeves. RIP to Lance Reddick who will be solely missed.

I don't know if it was just my screening or where i was sitting but Dolby Atmos and the sound design of this film was ****ing brutal(I only saw a 2d superscreen showing, cineworld) I could feel every shot fired, trigger pulled and recoil punch from these weapons. Amazing really as i got the same tingles as i did with the heat bank heist shootout....yes it was that good, It doesn't beat it but i haven't enjoyed gunfire like that for a VERY long time. Anyway final credentials have to go to Chad Stahelski for an amazing Franchise. Very humbling to have a Director that has upped his game with every entry and his talent for film making is clear to see. I loved how he has given minor roles to previous actors from the Matrix films throughout the Franchise and its keen little details in his previous craft that have made this series one of the best to come out of Hollywood . Intrigued to see where he goes from here and wish him the best.

Downsides. Yes his plot armour is a little " robust " shall we say but im too pumped of adrenaline to care lool the runtime and pacing is abit long but i dont think much was left in the editing room. That reminds me, the quieter moments in this film really had me loving these characters than first realised. What a journey its been. Anyway 9/10

Potential spin off idea:

Caine back to working, with Akira an ever lurking presence. Something happens (she meets his daughter, realizes why he did it), where eventually they become allies, he save hers, she saves him, he takes her under his wing.
I'm not sure I'd want to see Caine back to working when he's just been officially freed from his obligations to the Table. I think I'd prefer Akira trying and failing to kill him, and him continuing to spare her life out of respect for his friend. Akira's anger shifts toward The Table since they're who Caine was operating on behalf of, and The Table, officially considering Akira a "loose end," comes for her. Caine reluctantly being "pulled back in" (maybe with his daughter as the convincing party) to help her, and they fight the Table together. Eventually enlisting other allies of John and people disillusioned with the Table to finish what John started in bringing the whole institution crashing down (Clancy Brown did have a line to the Marquis about how if he lost the duel, John would essentially be anointed a saint by others in their order). That last part would probably be the next spinoff sequel lol.

I'm not sure I'd want to see Caine back to working when he's just been officially freed from his obligations to the Table. I think I'd prefer Akira trying and failing to kill him, and him continuing to spare her life out of respect for his friend. Akira's anger shifts toward The Table since they're who Caine was operating on behalf of, and The Table, officially considering Akira a "loose end," comes for her. Caine reluctantly being "pulled back in" (maybe with his daughter as the convincing party) to help her, and they fight the Table together. Eventually enlisting other allies of John and people disillusioned with the Table to finish what John started in bringing the whole institution crashing down (Clancy Brown did have a line to the Marquis about how if he lost the duel, John would essentially be anointed a saint by others in their order). That last part would probably be the next spinoff sequel lol.
I like this a lot, but for one thing...

The end of the Table comes with John Wick 5. :D

A bloody masterpiece.

tumblr_o2eud6guYo1rcnqeto6_r1_400.gif

Felt that I needed to see this twice to truly appreciate it, so I did. 10/10.

Dang what a movie that fired on all cylinders. Everything that happened in Paris was awesome and the highlight for me. As good as this was though, I kinda like the first John Wick more. It had a simplicity that's been missing since then IMO.

The underrated scene stealer was the German Shepherd. :o Oh and flippin' Clancy Brown in this was like the perfect cherry on top. The gravitas from all these actors combined made the film feel like it was 1000 pounds.

Last edited:
Stunts, Light Design, Cinematography, Production Design and Score were outstanding and the new high bar for Action Series in general! Noone can complain about this in my opinion. :confetti:

I know its John Wick, but his plot armour or zero-damage effect were annoying for me sometimes. Like he falls off from a building on a car, he says "Urgh" and stands up. My delusion of disbelieve was broken here and then because of this. Also, for this kind of runtine the story was too thin and stretched, despite the highbar action. During Paris I thought several times: "Yeah, lets move on to the final fight now." Furthermore, there were too many "There are x type of mens"-speeches.

Felt that I needed to see this twice to truly appreciate it, so I did. 10/10.

Dang what a movie that fired on all cylinders. Everything that happened in Paris was awesome and the highlight for me. As good as this was though, I kinda like the first John Wick more. It had a simplicity that's been missing since then IMO.

The underrated scene stealer was the German Shepherd. :o Oh and flippin' Clancy Brown in this was like the perfect cherry on top. The gravitas from all these actors combined made the film feel like it was 1000 pounds.

Not seen 4 yet but I agree the first movie is by far and away the best for me so far. I miss it's simplicity. The sequels just added far too much stuff to the assassin world where it seemed there was one on every street corner.

Really hope I enjoy 4 but 2 and 3 were just not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"