John Wick: Chapter 4

Literally once the Osaka sequence ended, they could have rolled credits and I would have walked out the movie fully satisfied. That whole set piece was phenomenal and gave me everything I've always in an action sequence.
You know you’re in for a wild ride when the third act of the last movie is huge and nuts, and then the next movie’s early action is a bigger and crazier evolution of that. I was like holy god what is the third act gonna be like this time? And then it happened. Sweet Jesus.

So you hated it, huh? :o

What's everyone's favorite set piece in this? I absolutely loved them all but for me personally Osaka takes the cake, everything about that was just :hmr::hmr::hmr::hmr::hmr:
Now that I’ve seen it for a second time, I’m gonna have to give it to Paris. Osaka was the best “classic John Wick” sequence (of the series, probably), but I loved the variety Paris brought. The Arc, the dragon’s breath sequence, the stairs…all instant classics imo.

Now that I’ve seen it for a second time, I’m gonna have to give it to Paris. Osaka was the best “classic John Wick” sequence (of the series, probably), but I loved the variety Paris brought. The Arc, the dragon’s breath sequence, the stairs…all instant classics imo.
Osaka is in the finale of JW3, while Paris is the the opening of JW3. If both took way too much Red Bull. :hehe:

I only have a few steelbooks but man this one is damn beautiful! I don't know about anybody else, but that kick from Caine breaking wicks block is already iconic to me. So damn great to see it on the cover.

Regarding a chapter 5
Id prefer if John stayed dead. If Chad decides he's got a good story in mind, then I trust he'll deliver. But it's gotta be right and not just a cash grab honestly. Let Chad do ghost of Tsushima and let's see if it inspired him to bring something new that'll warrant a 5th movie. At the moment, i don't know how they could possible too chapter 4.

Last edited:
I think on the whole Osaka was my favorite sequence, as I was more invested in the variety of characters involved, but the Dragon Breath sequence was THE sequence of the film. I'm sorry but the top down Hotline Miami one take was special. That was expert craftsmanship.

I think on the whole Osaka was my favorite sequence, as I was more invested in the variety of characters involved, but the Dragon Breath sequence was THE sequence of the film. I'm sorry but the top down Hotline Miami one take was special. That was expert craftsmanship.
It is extraordinary.

Honestly, I can't choose. I feel like Osaka probably plays to my sensibilities better, but by the time we get to the stairs in Paris, there is just something uncanny about how it grips the crowd. My audience reacted to every single part of the climb.

The Osaka sequence has no business being as amazing as it was. You're introduced to all of these new characters before all the incredible action starts. And it's just non stop! I swear if I don't see that on people's "all time" list at the end of the year I'm gonna be pissed haha.

You know what i also loved about this? John felt vulnerable this time, like, as the film progressed you could feel his fatigue (maybe cause Keanu really was exhausted from filming this crazy s*** LOL). And i felt like that raised the stakes a bit. By the time we get to the climax John just has this exhausted FML vibe about him….but that dont stop him from being a complete utter force of nature.

It is extraordinary.

Honestly, I can't choose. I feel like Osaka probably plays to my sensibilities better, but by the time we get to the stairs in Paris, there is just something uncanny about how it grips the crowd. My audience reacted to every single part of the climb.
The thing I love about the climb is that, whether or not you're invested in the film, it's placed so perfectly that you're going to be just as exhausted as John is.

You know what i also loved about this? John felt vulnerable this time, like, as the film progressed you could feel his fatigue (maybe cause Keanu really was exhausted from filming this crazy s*** LOL). And i felt like that raised the stakes a bit. By the time we get to the climax John just has this exhausted FML vibe about him….but that dont stop him from being a complete utter force of nature.
When John first sees those stairs (right after the DJ's narration tells us exactly how many there are), that is literally the most pain I have ever felt for him. :funny:

John getting knocked all the way back down the stairs actually made me feel bad. You can see the look on his face, knowing he might not make it back up there. That's why I don't get why some people say there's no stakes for John anymore. It's complete BS.

No I don’t think so. The first four Indiana Jones movies were all from Steven Spielberg. Michael Bay directed 5 Transformers movies. I mean now you can say those filmmakers haven’t directed all of the films in those series tho. But you can probably say the same for Wick depending on what Lionsgate does.

Also Justin Lin has done 5 Fast and Furious movies right?

Yeah, Justin Lin directed 4 F&F films in a row - Tokyo Drift, F&F, Fast Five and FF6.

He also did F9 and about to have Fast X released. So that's 6 films total he's done in the franchise.

I'm still so impressed by the in camera action. I feel like people forget how many mainstream movies today have crappy action.

This is the benefit of having an experienced martial artist, experienced stuntman, stunt choreographer, and second unit director behind the camera. They know how to stage the action and make it look good and not screw it up with garbage shaky cam or constant cuts. They want the audience to see all the impressive fighting and action they are staging.

You barely ever see the camera cut away from Keanu Reeves, and you see him in the frame in like 90 percent of the film.

Whenever he puts in that staggered hurt leg run in the past three films… love it.

So does Paris, like, have no police force at all? Where were they during that whole thing? :funny::funny::funny::funny:

Btw, I actually have lived in France before and can confirm no police force exists. :o

The Table is that powerful they can call off the authorities when all this insanity is going down.

Alot of the action sequences in mainstream films does look pretty crappy compared to this series, but at least some filmmakers out there are starting to actually take the time to notice and feel inspired.

I feel like without the success of this franchise we wouldn't get quality stuff like Nobody, Violent Night or Sisu which is pretty much John Wick set during World War II which is a pretty cool concept IMO.

Even if you don't love those movies the influence is clearly there, and we need more of it within the modern action genre IMO if its ever going to be able to compete with the success of the big blockbusters.

Hell, this franchise alone looks better than 99% of the blockbusters that come out nowadays which is something I've been saying since John Wick 2 and that still makes no sense to me considering these movies don't cost $200-$300M dollars to make yet from a technical standpoint put a lot of these movies to shame.

Visually, that Osaka sequence was absolutely breathtaking on the bigscreen.

You know what I'd be totally down for? A prequel movie with Keanu that show's Wick's final mission before he went into retirement. The "impossible" mission. That I imagine would be epic to watch.

The DJ's music selection *chef kiss*

And dear god I actually thought John was throwing fire balls in the top down dragon's breath section.

Also props to Adkins for doing those spin kicks in that fat suit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"