BvS Joker Poll

The Joker is more fleshed out than being a mere crazy criminal, and he has appeared consistently is all types of media, in none of which has he been French.

I realize he's not just a crazy criminal - wrong choice of words, I agree - but my point still stands. I don't think Joker's nationality really would affect his character in the least. What in his past/history that has "appeared consistently is all types of media" would change if he had originally came from France?

The fact that he and Batman are both creatures of Gotham, nurtured on its sickly air. Also the fact that, as written, The Joker has always been in the referential orbit of 1940s American gangster culture and American vaudeville theatre.

Consider, also, that such a change from common perceptions of the character would likely require an explanation.

Batman and The Joker both have to be products of Gotham. French Joker doesn't work.

Hamill's Joker always sounded a little British to me :hmm

Also, was it ever explained that Nolan's Joker was from Gotham? I mean I hate to just focus on defending the "French Joker" point of view (since there are several other actors that would kill it as the Joker), but I just don't think he should be excluded due to his nationality. Maybe Gotham has a french gangster element like many movies show the Russian crime syndicate in some major cities.

I know many fans just wouldn't want to think about Joker making any noticeable changes, such as accent and related backstory changes (small as the changes could be made to be). I think it would be an interesting version.

There has NEVER been any indication that the Joker was anything other than American, and certainly NOT French. Having an actor with any kind of obvious foreign accent would be just too jarring, and would feel wrong.

How do you guys feel about a southern Joker ala McConaughey?

Alright, I've made my voice heard so I'll let it go:yay:

An American then - William DeFoe is the go-to obvious choice, which means he wouldn't get it probably. So, I'll put this name out there:

Nicholas Cage! Yes, that would be interesting! We know he can play disturbed, calculating psychopaths and can do icy calm as well as high-energy! I'm not a huge Cage fan, but I think he could do something different with the role. Oh, and he has an American accent:whatever:

Also, was it ever explained that Nolan's Joker was from Gotham?

Edit- sorry, I misread your post: the comments below apply to The Joker except Nolan's version.

Yes, or at least impliedly. He was 'born' at Ace Chemical Works. Nobody knows where he came from before that (it is ambiguous whether he himself remembers), but a French accent would be a pretty big clue.

Re Hamill's Joker - he does sound somewhat transatlantic at times, but he doesn't sound British per se.

Last edited:
Walton Goggins name is on the poll, but nobody has really mentioned his name in the discussion. I'm sure I'm not the only Justified fan in here, but if you've followed the show from his inception, you can definitely get the Joker out of the Boyd Crowder character.

Seems like every season Boyd is in the background scheming and pulling strings to set things up how he wants them before he becomes a major player at the end of the season. Besides being a ruthless killer, that's about as Joker as it comes as far as I'm concerned.

Walton Goggins name is on the poll, but nobody has really mentioned his name in the discussion. I'm sure I'm not the only Justified fan in here, but if you've followed the show from his inception, you can definitely get the Joker out of the Boyd Crowder character.

Seems like every season Boyd is in the background scheming and pulling strings to set things up how he wants them before he becomes a major player at the end of the season. Besides being a ruthless killer, that's about as Joker as it comes as far as I'm concerned.

In that same vein, even Timothy Olyphant would be great IMO!

In that same vein, even Timothy Olyphant would be great IMO!

He definitely has that tall, lanky Joker look. Not sure about the hairline or the grin though. Is there any way we can combine the two actors? Science?

Harrelson or dafoe for me

Hamill's Joker always sounded a little British to me :hmm

To me it's like Hamill played Joker to sound almost aristocratic at times, just because he feels like it. Sort of like a crazy Niles Crane. I only mean the voice, obviously.

That's it, yeah. Aristocratic :up:

Gives a better feeling of the Clown Prince title.

I like the idea of Michael Fassbender as The Joker. And Walton Goggins as The Scarecrow.

Look everyone agreed!

It should be Other Actor.

I want someone completely unexpected, and can deliver a scary Joker
In the image you posted of old Culkin he sure looks the role

Only in a world of child stars can early 30s be considered old ;)

Of course, looking like a skeleton does age people.

As well as drugs..allegedly. Maybe this could be his RDJ breakthrough :)

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I thought he'd make a terrific Batman, but Nikolaj Coster-Waldau could do a fine job.

I can't believe people actually prefer other actors over those on the list!

Has anyone mentioned Sam Riley?

ivjqfb.jpg

Toss the earrings, give him a creepy smile, better makeup (best I could do at the time with Photoshop, I could do better now if I still had photoshop) and there you go. By far my favorite choice.

I don't watch enough movies to choose any of these people.

ivjqfb.jpg

Toss the earrings, give him a creepy smile, better makeup (best I could do at the time with Photoshop, I could do better now if I still had photoshop) and there you go. By far my favorite choice.

I dont think DDL would do a CBM. He seems very selective about the number and types of films that he commits to. I mean it would be awesome, but it just seems unrealistic IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"