Dark Phoenix Kinberg finally confirms my theory

It’s pretty pointless to speculate as to why Mutants don’t age in this universe when it’s clear even the filmmakers never bothered to put much thought or care into this question themselves. I really don’t take Kinberg’s answer seriously since the quote reads like he himself is surmising what others have assumed yet he forgot that Moira Mctaggert hasn’t aged since we last saw her in the 60’s(in First Class) when we see her again in Apocalypse in the 80’s :funny:.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, but the characters are still mutants in X1-X3, right? So why are they old as hell and this cast never ages? Did defeating the Sentinels in DoFP suddenly make mutants resistant to aging?

Sorry, this excuse is trash. I can accept certain mutants aging more slowly due to their powers. But all of them? I am not stupid Kinberg, you're just making crap up because you guys made no effort to age them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the characters are still mutants in X1-X3, right? So why are they old as hell and this cast never ages? Did defeating the Sentinels in DoFP suddenly make mutants resistant to aging?

Sorry, this excuse is trash. I can accept certain mutants aging more slowly due to their powers. But all of them? I am not stupid Kinberg, you're just making crap up because you guys made no effort to age them.
James McAvoy and Micheal Fassbender are going to look like a 50 year old Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan in just eight years!

That’s even worse than Ewan Mcgregor looking like a 60 year old Alec Guinness in the nineteen years between ROTS and ANH. At least in that case, you justify that by pointing out that living in such a desolate wasteland like Tatooine would age anyone faster than normal.

Judging by Patrick Stewart's appearance at the very end of DoFP I'd have to say no! :funny:

James McAvoy and Micheal Fassbender are going to look like a 50 year old Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan in just eight years!

That’s even worse than Ewan Mcgregor looking like a 60 year old Alec Guinness in the nineteen years between ROTS and ANH. At least in that case, you justify that by pointing out that living in such a desolate wasteland like Tatooine would age anyone faster than normal.
I actually enjoyed DP, but yes that thought struck me as I was watching, too! :funny:

Also, Jubilee and Angel can both be born decades prior to their original timeline counterparts... you know, years before the timeline was even altered! :dry:

"But for all the other characters, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Nicholas Hoult, going back to First Class, they certainly have not aged 30 years since we started making those movies 10 years ago…And the way that we sort of rationalized it, and it is a rationalization for sure, was that they aged a little differently because they’re mutants, and we hoped that the audience would go with that. And so far that’s not been a problem for the audience.

It's not been a problem for the audience?

That's because Kinberg probably can't hear the sound of the audience rolling their eyes each time there's a new film set in a new decade. :o

Howsabout William Stryker?

Moira and Stryker are not mutants, but they age better than the other humans like them. They gave birth to two mutants, so there must be something inherent to that... ;)

Ewan McGregor was around 35 in ROTS. I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say Obi-Wan was 40. And a lot can happen in 20 years. Compare Brendan Fraser in The Mummy to him in Doom Patrol. At least Lucas made some efforts to make McGregor look older between each film using makeup and hairstyle. ROTS Obi-Wan does look older than Phantom Menace Obi-Wan.

In X-Men these characters age decades and there is no effort whatsoever in trying to make it fit. Also, it isn't just eight years. Stewart and McKellen played those characters when Jean Grey was a little girl in the 80s and Stewart when Cyclops was in high school. So by the X-Men timeline, they should already look like that by the time of X-Men Apocalypse, let alone Dark Phoenix.

None of that makes any sense and was never established with these films. It was only established that Wolverine likely ages slowly because of his healing factor.

And Mystique. Beast specifically says in First Class that it is her unique mutation that allows her to age slowly.

I thought Xavier and Magneto both looked significantly older in DP than they did in APOCALYPSE. Not "their age" neccessarily, but significantly older. They did some things with makeup, hairstyling, Xavier's eyebrows, etc that helped a bit. Fassbender looked considerably more grizzled this time out.

Not really. Xavier looked great / better in X-Men '92 and didn't look older than the flashback scenes with Jean.

And Mystique. Beast specifically says in First Class that it is her unique mutation that allows her to age slowly.

Except wasn't she still a teenager in First Class? Or was she already in her 20s or 30s at that point?

Except wasn't she still a teenager in First Class? Or was she already in her 20s or 30s at that point?

Teenager, I believe, since Xavier won't let her drink. Presumably because she's underage.

Beast meant that it would cause her to age slowly in the future. The point is that it was a side effect of her specific powers, not something common to mutants in general.

Xavier is born in 1932.
Raven is born in 1934.
Erik is born in 1930.

Fassbender looks older in "Dark Phoenix" than "Apocalypse". I can say the same for McAvoy.

This "explanation" is almost as bad as the one where certain characters were born earlier because of time travel, as revealed in Apocalypse, even though the time travel occured after those said characters were born. I wish he could just admit he messed up the continuity time and again instead of making nonsensical excuses. Honestly I don't hold the lack of continuity against the franchise as much as other people do, but he should be straightforward about it.

Xavier is born in 1932.
Raven is born in 1934.
Erik is born in 1930.

Fassbender looks older in "Dark Phoenix" than "Apocalypse". I can say the same for McAvoy.
Well, duh. They HAVE aged in real life. But they don’t look old enough on screen to fit with the time jumps. There’s like, a whole 30 years between FC and DP.

Well, duh. They HAVE aged in real life. But they don’t look old enough on screen to fit with the time jumps. There’s like, a whole 30 years between FC and DP.

Cinematic mutants. They age slower and better than humans. Not that big of a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"