BvS Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait... I am just coming in... Is there a rumor that Lex could be black now?

Is Loki Lex Luthor? Not a chance. Zack himself said that he'll be a huge name.

Is Loki Lex Luthor? Not a chance. Zack himself said that he'll be a huge name.

With his track record for huge names in MOS it wouldn't surprise me.

I can't really think of any big name actors I'd like to see as Lex though. Aside from maybe Daniel Craig.

regwec said:
I don't think skin colour should be seen as a "direction" per se. I would hope it could be merely incidental.
The look of a character is absolutely part of the direction. Visually, a pale White man is very different than a dark Black man. Yes, race isn't important... except that when we're talking about LOOKS ONLY, race can be important. They wouldn't cast an Asian man to play George Washington. Because he doesn't look the part. And he doesn't look the part because of his race.

Luthor being fictional means that his race can be redefined relatively easily. But to change it would be a different direction. Even if all other things were the same, changing the race of the actor changes the look and that's a different direction.

Personally, I would really rather a White man. Culturally, there's something about a White man being bald that doesn't translate to a Black man being bald. It's because of the connection to skinheads and white supremacists. This wasn't built into the character, but it's a very happy coincidence. Subconsciously associating Luthor with White supremacists is ABSOLUTELY a good idea for the character when you paint him as fearful and jealous of the alien Superman's power.

Hopefully Snyder, just gets the best actor, and there is not filling out the justice league based on race and not talent. Wally West looks a certain way you can not change that.

On Lex, Denzel is too old. Still think should go McConaughey, or shoot higher if possible with somebody like Leonardo.

God...I really hope this current batch of rumors is nothing but a big load of crap.

Not liking these new rumors but im guessin they are just a bunch of BS.

Questions for people who are always suggesting McConaghey:

When have you ever seen him play a role where he wasn't essentially a good ol' southern boy?

What has led you to believe he could pull off Lex?

Questions for people who are always suggesting McConaghey:

When have you ever seen him play a role where he wasn't essentially a good ol' southern boy?

What has led you to believe he could pull off Lex?

Lincoln Lawyer, Frailty and Mud convinced me he has the acting chops to play Luthor.

He does have chops. Don't forget "Killer Joe".

But has he ever played a Northerner...ever? Can he pull it off without sounding goofy and forced? That's really my main concern.

I think his voice would be fine. It'd be different though for sure

McConaghey is not on my list... But I get what he could bring to the table, not least of which is a polished intensity and commitment he has brought to almost all his onscreen roles these last 5 years or so.

If you want a "celebrated" Luthor that is/was the golden boy of Metropolis, you could do worse than McConaghey.

Clancy Brown.

38805.gif

I realize how unimaginative to suggest him seeing as how he already voiced the character, but I'd think he was a great live action choice even if he's never voiced a cartoon in his life.

I honestly think his Luthor voice is as definitive a portrayal of the character as Hamill's Joker or Conroy's Batman, but I think he'd be just as great in live action. I'd say he's a bit old but this is taking place in a well established DCU with a 40 year old Batman and a probably mid-30s Superman, so he's not THAT old.

Clancy Brown.

38805.gif

I realize how unimaginative to suggest him seeing as how he already voiced the character, but I'd think he was a great live action choice even if he's never voiced a cartoon in his life.

I honestly think his Luthor voice is as definitive a portrayal of the character as Hamill's Joker or Conroy's Batman, but I think he'd be just as great in live action. I'd say he's a bit old but this is taking place in a well established DCU with a 40 year old Batman and a probably mid-30s Superman, so he's not THAT old.

The only people from the DCAU who should reprise their roles should be Corey Burton/Brainiac or Michael Ironside/Darkseid IMHO.

The only people from the DCAU who should reprise their roles should be Corey Burton/Brainiac or Michael Ironside/Darkseid IMHO.

And even then... Yeah, let's keep these world's distinct. If someone is a turn it up to !! DCAU fan... Hey, more power to you, but what we have now, for sure, is the birth of a DC-CINEMATIC UNIVERSE. Different animal. It's time to let the past go. I doubt we'll get another Peter Cullen situation in adapting genre stuff anytime again soon, if ever.

It seems mistaken, in my opinion, to talk about "them going for a black Lex" etc. If WB were interested in Denzel, then that's presumeably because he is fine actor who fits the part well. It seems unlikely to me that they have decided they'd like a black actor (for whatever reason) and that Denzel, Idris and even Will ****ing Smith are the options.

I think we get too hung up on race. My top two "big name" choices for the role, at the moment, are Daniel Craig and Denzel. Why shouldn't they both be in the frame, and chosen on their merits, rather than the ethnicity of the actor being decided at random prior to qualifying candidates being shortlisted? That seems insane.

I should really get into the casting rumors game because there's no way you can really be wrong.

I spoke to our trusted source close to Warner Bros. recently where the name Tom Hanks came up for Lex Luthor. If you recall, almost a month ago Tom Hanks publically let it be known he wanted to play the villain to Batman. I'm told Warner Bros. is considering Tom Hanks for Lex Luthor. I was told Hanks is a huge fan, and the role of Lex Luthor would go against his typecasting which Hanks is excited about and could come off really well. Whether Hanks has read for the role and auditioned, I'm not sure.
Read more at http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/co...uperman-terry-oquinn-eyed#bs3C0lZe1XZGiZXb.99

I spoke to our trusted source close to Warner Bros. recently where the name Tom Hanks came up for Lex Luthor. If you recall, almost a month ago Tom Hanks publically let it be known he wanted to play the villain to Batman. I'm told Warner Bros. is considering Tom Hanks for Lex Luthor. I was told Hanks is a huge fan, and the role of Lex Luthor would go against his typecasting which Hanks is excited about and could come off really well. Whether Hanks has read for the role and auditioned, I'm not sure.
Read more at http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/co...uperman-terry-oquinn-eyed#bs3C0lZe1XZGiZXb.99

:whatever:

LMAO

Yeah, I spoke to a trusted source too at Warner Brothers (because WB has an infinite number of employees who sit in on all the executive meetings and are all totally willing to divulge confidential information to random people on the internet) and he gave me some details:

- Current frontrunners for the role of Lex include Charlie Hunnam, Jason Isaacs, Ed Helms and Ewan MacGregor. All have worked on films for WB in recent years and they like to keep things in house. Expect an announcement any day now.

- WB is also testing actors for Dick Grayson. But contradictory to prior reports, WB is targeting a young actor who will eventually become Robin either in this movie or in a sequel. Chandler Riggs (The Walking Dead) is the current frontrunner, though WB is also looking at Jackie Gleason (Game of Thrones, Batman Begins).

- WB does intend to tie the Man of Steel sequel to the TV series Arrow after all. In addition to Stephen Amell appearing in the film, Henry Cavill has also agreed to appear on the season finale of the TV show as Superman.

- Amy Adams is reportedly upset with the influx of new characters in the sequel, as she feels Lois Lane will get slighted. WB has already begun testing new actresses for the role in case she walks. They've already had meetings with Jennifer Lawrence, Megan Fox, Selina Gomez and Ashley Tisdale.

Learn more at http://www.cosmicbull****news.com/

Bryan Cranston has been cast as Lex Luthor in what is said to be at least a six "appearance" deal (think of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury popping up in every Marvel movie in the run-up to Avengers) and may be as high as ten.

Look for the official announcement to follow the conclusion to the final season of Breaking Bad as WB wants to dovetail off the end of that.

:wow:

They then followed that "Exclusive" with another "Exclusive" that eliminated their own Bryan Cranston scoop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"