LOST - But Not Forgotten...Except by the Emmys - Part 1

The "flash sideways" were a cunning ruse, especially in the first episode where the writers deliberately mislead you with the sunken island. By the time the finale came around, it felt like they were hoping enough teary reunions would make you forget that you just watched a season full of "alt-universe" plate spinning and cameos.

Honestly, I don't like the last two seasons of Lost. I do have a lot of complaints about, including the "answers" they gave, and the ending itself. But my main problem was the quality. For me, it started to drop in the fourth season, actually. But last two are not great. I find the last season to be really, really bad.

And that's my main disappointment. I was actually excited about the idea of the flashsideways. For me, the drama and the character-driven part of Lost was by far the best and what kept me watching. I was super excited to see what would happen to them if the plane landed in LA. But the writing was soooo poor. It was so bad. I do think I could've enjoyed all this flashsideways idea if it was actually well written and well done. But it wasn't.

Honestly, I don't like the last two seasons of Lost. I do have a lot of complaints about, including the "answers" they gave, and the ending itself. But my main problem was the quality. For me, it started to drop in the fourth season, actually. But last two are not great. I find the last season to be really, really bad.

And that's my main disappointment. I was actually excited about the idea of the flashsideways. For me, the drama and the character-driven part of Lost was by far the best and what kept me watching. I was super excited to see what would happen to them if the plane landed in LA. But the writing was soooo poor. It was so bad. I do think I could've enjoyed all this flashsideways idea if it was actually well written and well done. But it wasn't.

Agreed here too pal. Despite the promise of more focus in seasons 4,5 & 6 with an end date in mind, I much preferred the first 3 seasons. The flashbacks definitely wore thin, but the show was its strongest when interesting things happened on the island and flashbacks gave us important insight into the characters. I feel the balance was broken in the back half of the show when it shifted toward gimmicks and time bending tricks because characters were lost in the shuffle. Take Sun for example: She spent the last 2 seasons doing nothing but wandering around asking about her husband. This is the case for most of its (tremendous) cast.

I thought 6 was near-universally poor. Oddly cheap looking at times too. 5 was really patchy and I remember being kind of disappointed we had a season with the Dharma initiative and didn't learn anything particularly revealing about them. I enjoyed quite a few things in season 4. I thought Keamy was a great new villain and the pacing gave you the feeling that things were ramping up. It was only really the final episodes that started to wear me down. Moving the island was the big "wtf" moment that made me realize that this show was not going to come together.

Last edited:
Agreed here too pal. Despite the promise of more focus in seasons 4,5 & 6 with an end date in mind, I much preferred the first 3 seasons. The flashbacks definitely wore thin, but the show was its strongest when interesting things happened on the island and flashbacks gave us important insight into the characters. I feel the balance was broken in the back half of the show when it shifted toward gimmicks and time bending tricks because characters were lost in the shuffle. Take Sun for example: She spent the last 2 seasons doing nothing but wandering around asking about her husband. This is the case for most of its (tremendous) cast.

I thought 6 was near-universally poor. Oddly cheap looking at times too. 5 was really patchy and I remember being kind of disappointed we had a season with the Dharma initiative and didn't learn anything particularly revealing about them. I enjoyed quite a few things in season 4. I thought Keamy was a great new villain and the pacing gave you the feeling that things were ramping up. It was only really the final episodes that started to wear me down. Moving the island was the big "wtf" moment that made me realize that this show was not going to come together.

Season 4 was a "transitioning" season, between being more character-driven and focusing more on the mysteries and fantasy.

Looking back, sometimes I feel embaraced that I believed there would be a plausible answer for a "smoke monster". That I was intrigued by it and that I waited 6 years for... that.

After all these years, Lost still remains one of the best pieces of fiction I've ever seen. It is true that the last season wasn't as strong, but they've challenged themselves and the viewers in each season they've made. They brought something new to the table every time and they didn't go for easy routes. The sixth season was no exception to that. So even though it didn't work so much, I still love the fact that they pushed the boundaries til the very end. And I admire and appreciate that.

Looking back, sometimes I feel embaraced that I believed there would be a plausible answer for a "smoke monster". That I was intrigued by it and that I waited 6 years for... that.

I remember all the theories that were floating around over the years. Some really great and well thought out ideas. In hindsight, this show was somewhat cursed by its own audience engagement. I wonder how often a fan theory was correct and the writers had to change course. It must have happened at least once.

One thing is for sure: I never guessed that answer to smokey was: some guy thrown down a magical cave.

I remember all the theories that were floating around over the years. Some really great and well thought out ideas. In hindsight, this show was somewhat cursed by its own audience engagement. I wonder how often a fan theory was correct and the writers had to change course. It must have happened at least once.

One thing is for sure: I never guessed that answer to smokey was: some guy thrown down a magical cave.

But if the fans were right, they should've just admitted that and move on with the best answer, instead of changing things as they move along.

In some ways, it feels like longer than 10 years since it's been off the air. It's also interesting that there has never been a spinoff or reboot series at any point in the past decade.

Love the show and miss it. Seasons 1-3 were amazing. Gets a little wild after that, but I still enjoyed it to the end.

In some ways, it feels like longer than 10 years since it's been off the air. It's also interesting that there has never been a spinoff or reboot series at any point in the past decade.
I still stand by my proposal (don’t know if I posted it here) that the best way to reboot/revive/spin-off LOST would be the M. Night Shyamalan/Split way. Don’t spoil anything in advertising the show. Make a pilot that stands completely on its own and then in the last five minutes, hit the audience with the connection.

Now granted, that’s pretty much the exact opposite approach to how networks/streaming outlets would want to promote a new series, but...

I really loved Lost. I had stopped watching shows for a good few years until I saw the pilot for this (while the show was already 4 or 5 seasons old). Amazing ride even if the final episode didn't satisfactorily deliver on all that build up and suspense.

I still stand by my proposal (don’t know if I posted it here) that the best way to reboot/revive/spin-off LOST would be the M. Night Shyamalan/Split way. Don’t spoil anything in advertising the show. Make a pilot that stands completely on its own and then in the last five minutes, hit the audience with the connection.

Now granted, that’s pretty much the exact opposite approach to how networks/streaming outlets would want to promote a new series, but...
That method would have worked really well on me in this case. :up:

I thought (hoped) that was what that show FlashForward was going to be, but they only ended up doing some easter eggs... probably just to lure in Lost fans

I wouldn't be opposed to that as long as it's a Better Call Saul type of spinoff that more or less keeps the tone while doing its own thing.

I just find it interesting that in an era with so many show revivals/reboots, one of the most popular shows from the '00s (possibly the most popular network drama) has remained dormant all this time. But that could also be an Abrams thing. His other shows like Felicity, Alias and Fringe haven't been revisited either.

They have explored pretty much every corner and time period on the island, it would be hard to do something that doesn't connect to the main Lost story in some form or another, BUT there's a whole side about Alvar Hanso, The Hanso Foundation, Faraday's work outside the island in the 70's, and other DHARMA related stuff that could potentially be explored, much like Better Call Saul explores this whole other side of BB.

It's probably inevitable that there will be a spin-off of some kind. Lindelof and Cuse have both acknowledged this, even while saying they will have no part in it.

I was a big fan back in 10 years and came now onto something:
Jacob orchestrated every important moment in the life of the chosen ones...but why was Hurley able to win the lottery with those numbers?

I really didn't like the ending. But The Leftovers and Watchmen were so, so, so good, I keep thinking how great it would be a reboot made by this new Lindelof on HBO.

It's never gonna happen, but it would be insane.

I’m on a rewatch right now and I’m preemptively annoyed that Jack shaves his depression beard so early into Season 5.

It would’ve been such a great contrast when they get back to the island: bearded mess Jack/clean shaven leader Sawyer.

Season 5 was great! Season 6 not so much but there were some great episodes there. Sun/Jin dying together still give me the feels and oh before that, the submarine timebomb was thrilling and the cast just worked so well together in that scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"