The Amazing Spider-Man Marc Webb to return? - Part 1

According to Comic Book News (Don't know how reliable they are) he is already off the project:

About a month or so before the premiere of the new Amazing Spider-Man movie, Cosmic Book News received word that director Marc Webb had been given his walking papers.

Meaning, that the director would not be returning on the Amazing Spider-Man sequel, which we were told had a tentative title of "Web of Spider-Man."

We were told the studio was not happy with Webb's version as it was considered to dark and mopey, and the studio wanted it to be more action packed — which is the reason why Star Trek and Transformers writers Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci were brought onboard.

In addition, we were told that Tarsem Singh is the current frontrunner to direct Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Now, Columbia Pictures President Doug Belgrad recently addressed the return of Marc Webb, and strongly implied that Webb would not be directing the sequel to Amazing Spider-Man.

THR asked Belgrad if Webb will be back:

THR: Will Marc Webb return to direct the sequel?

Belgrad: We'd really like him back, but there are obstacles. He has an obligation to Fox. [Webb owes Fox a post-(500) Days of Summer film.]

But that's not all, as Belgrad also said there were problems with the film:

THR: Were there any problem areas with Amazing Spider-Man?

Belgrad: Yes. The section where Rhys Ifans' character turns irrevocably into the Lizard. It took several months to figure out, and the filmmakers cut a bunch of scenes. In software parlance, it required a patch.

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/toldja-marc-webb-not-returning-amazing-spider-man-sequel

Of course, take this with a grain of salt since it's only this one site and I have no idea how reliable it is, but if it's true, I'm ****ing pissed. Not only did I want Webb to return but to hear that this Tarsem Singh guy is the frontrunner for director is terrible. He's just not a Spider-Man director. To hear that the movie is supposed to be more action oriented is very disheartening too. If all this is true, I've lost a lot of respect for Sony, if that was even possible, and would really want Spider-Man to go back to Marvel.

I find TDKR extremely smart on emotional level, but not that smart on logical level.
When I think about it, I don't really like how Bruce got out of the prison. First the bold man says that "fear is why you fail" and then he says later that it's really important to fear, and then only discovering the fear of death he got out. It felt tacked on and rushed, yet the moment really got me pumped somehow
The old man always meant the same thing, Bruce just misinterpreted it the first time. To me, that entire sequence was about Bruce finally letting go of Ra's Al Ghul's entire philosophy. Sure, Bruce had only physically been in that prison for months, but he had mentally/emotionally been Ra's Al Ghul's prisoner Bruce since Batman Begins. Al Ghul taught Bruce to let go of fear and instead use it against others. To "own" fear, essentially. That's what BB was all about. What Bruce had to do to get out of that prison was to FINALLY let go of that mentality and allow himself to feel the fear of death for the first time since Act 1 of BB. I loved that sequence, it was probably my 2nd favorite of the whole movie.

And as for how TASM ranks for me for me, while Avengers and TDKR are my top 2 movies of the year, TASM is my #4 (so far). Not bad at all. :up:

According to Comic Book News (Don't know how reliable they are) he is already off the project:

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/toldja-marc-webb-not-returning-amazing-spider-man-sequel

Of course, take this with a grain of salt since it's only this one site and I have no idea how reliable it is, but if it's true, I'm ****ing pissed. Not only did I want Webb to return but to hear that this Tarsem Singh guy is the frontrunner for director is terrible. He's just not a Spider-Man director. To hear that the movie is supposed to be more action oriented is very disheartening too. If all this is true, I've lost a lot of respect for Sony, if that was even possible, and would really want Spider-Man to go back to Marvel.
Comic Book News is not a reliable source. Nothing has been announced yet, so there really is no news about whether or not Webb is returning.

That article also talks about the rumor in which sony was displeased with the film. A studio would not go around saying their movie is crap and let audiences know that.

Forgive me if I wait for official news. Cosmic book news? Never heard of them.

The old man always meant the same thing, Bruce just misinterpreted it the first time. To me, that entire sequence was about Bruce finally letting go of Ra's Al Ghul's entire philosophy. Sure, Bruce had only physically been in that prison for months, but he had mentally/emotionally been Ra's Al Ghul's prisoner Bruce since Batman Begins. Al Ghul taught Bruce to let go of fear and instead use it against others. To "own" fear, essentially. That's what BB was all about. What Bruce had to do to get out of that prison was to FINALLY let go of that mentality and allow himself to feel the fear of death for the first time since Act 1 of BB. I loved that sequence, it was probably my 2nd favorite of the whole movie.

And as for how TASM ranks for me for me, while Avengers and TDKR are my top 2 movies of the year, TASM is my #4 (so far). Not bad at all. :up:

I kinda understand that, but "owning fear" had worked pretty well so far, and that's like Batman's character, so I find it a little silly that suddenly it's all turned on it's head. And after it's done, he still does the old Batman stuff so yeah...

BACK TO MARC WEBB

Marc Webb built a cool world for Spider-Man, but I don't get how it's necessary to have him back to have a good sequel. I mean, he was a beginner and in the action scenes it showed. Fortunately the emotional level of the movie totally saved it for me, and I still liked the action. I wouldn't mind actually if the next one would be directed by Marc and some other more experienced guy, that would be a win win for me

BACK TO MARC WEBB

Marc Webb built a cool world for Spider-Man, but I don't get how it's necessary to have him back to have a good sequel. I mean, he was a beginner and in the action scenes it showed. Fortunately the emotional level of the movie totally saved it for me, and I still liked the action. I wouldn't mind actually if the next one would be directed by Marc and some other more experienced guy, that would be a win win for me
Marc Webb mastered the chemistry between the characters, which made the movie for me. Just because he doesn't return doesn't mean the movie will be an automatic flop, or turn into X-Men: The Last Stand. Now if we find out Michael Bay is directing, I will bang my head against the wall and pray for a miracle.

Marc Webb mastered the chemistry between the characters, which made the movie for me. Just because he doesn't return doesn't mean the movie will be an automatic flop, or turn into X-Men: The Last Stand. Now if we find out Michael Bay is directing, I will bang my head against the wall and pray for a miracle.

I think that Webb handled the relationship between Peter and his uncle well but in terms of the entire cast, I don't think Webb accomplished anything that couldn't be replicated just as easily by another good director. For continuity's sake, I think it would be good for Webb to come back but I think loads of people could feasibly fill his shoes.

Maybe. Well I think that we got a lot of character development out of the way at least, when in Raimi's series we had to wait for Spider-Man 2 to develop the characters. We'll see.

BTW Happy Birthday Andrew Garfield!

A rushed project is one thing, and a director losing creative control is another. The second draft of the script is in the process of being completed, and we should hear about the director within the next couple of months.

Studio interference will probably happen, but it doesn't mean the project is doomed. The studio interfered with the first two spider-man movies (originally, Doc Ock was going to be single and fall in love with MJ, but the studio changed that), but Sam Raimi did really well with them.

Studio interference hurt SM3 only because they forced Raimi to put in the Venom story last minute, and the script was being worked on while filming began. Sometimes it can be a good thing, many times it can ruin a movie. It all depends. We don't really know what happens behind the scenes other than what they give us on the DVDs. Its way, way too early to say whether or not TASM2 will be great, good, okay, bad, etc. Alexander Kurtzman and Roberto Orci did a superb job with the Star Trek reboot, Mission Impossible III, Watchmen, Alias, Fringe, Xena, Hercules, etc, so I have faith they can write a good script. Really, they are just polishing up James Vanderbilt's first draft, so we know there is a story already developed.

I've read both scripts and it was Raimi as well as Sony that changed the original. Anyway the only problem I see is that the director usually is involved in a final rewrite and the movie seems like it's being rushed.

I know a lot about the film making process and studios, being the money source, always interfere it's just to what degree that makes it good or bad. Sony has a track record of being bad, but they do seem to listen to fan backlash, and have been backing off.

My biggest concern is if Marc Webb isn't involved at all or if he's involved too late. If he stays on as a producer then the movie could bypass the usual jarring tone shift, while maybe having a more experienced and qualified director, like Empire Strikes Back or X-Men FC. However if they wait till a few weeks before filming to include him, giving him a year and a half time frame to make the magic happen, we could end up with Iron Man 2.

It's not doomed by any means, I'm just pointing out some red flags I'm seeing.

Maybe. Well I think that we got a lot of character development out of the way at least, when in Raimi's series we had to wait for Spider-Man 2 to develop the characters. We'll see.

BTW Happy Birthday Andrew Garfield!

I wouldn't really phrase it quite like that because that suggests that you can reach a point when character development becomes optional when you can't really work a film without it. Disagree with you on Raimi's first film though, he gave Peter a clear arc and I think, although I haven't seen it in a while, Mary Jane and Harry were well served as well. I don't think Webb's done anything 'better' than that so far.

Mary Jane and Harry were "well served" indeed. Considering they were canoodle-ing each other for 80% of the movie. Oh who else did Mary Jane prefer over Peter? Thats right Flash, Spider-Man and John Jameson. Am I forgetting anyone? :barf: gross.

Mary Jane and Harry were "well served" indeed. Considering they were canoodle-ing each other for 80% of the movie. Oh who else did Mary Jane prefer over Peter? Thats right Flash, Spider-Man and John Jameson. Am I forgetting anyone? :barf: gross.

I was referring to them being given an arc of some degree, which I seem to remember them having. I could be mistaken though. Either way, I don't think Raimi's film can be criticised just for taking a different route with the source material when the discussion is about how the characters were developed.

Oh I was just pointing out how disgusted I am watching the SM trilogy today realizing just how much of a floozy MJ was. She did everything in her power to not like Peter. Which, coincidentally I find to be a far cry from what MJ's character should be. That is, a girl who cares for Peter unconditionally and wants to be with him for little to no empirical reason. It should be shocking to the audience that someone like her wants to be with someone like him so badly. Thats how MJ should be done IMO.

Sony has backed off after bad reactions to the whole origin not being an accident, so yes they do listen to fans. I think Sony should even do a survey online for fans, asking questions like do we want Ultimate Goblin or 616 Green Goblin?

There is still a small chance that the release date for the movie will be pushed back if the movie doesn't have a director in a couple of months.

I kinda understand that, but "owning fear" had worked pretty well so far, and that's like Batman's character, so I find it a little silly that suddenly it's all turned on it's head. And after it's done, he still does the old Batman stuff so yeah...
I don't see how you think the fear method was "working out well so far." Not only did he lose the person most important to him, but they suggested at the end of BB that his actions would cause "escalation," and that's exactly what they did. TDK didn't exactly have a happy ending for anyone involved, and it led to Bruce being a recluse for 8 years. So no, it was not working out, and that's what Alfred was trying to get into his head before leaving him. And yes, he keeps going as Batman after that scene, but no longer a symbol of fear who creeps in the shadows - now a symbol of hope who fights in broad daylight along side the citizens of Gotham. Only then is he embraced by the city as a hero and is finally able to move on. I thought that was a perfect transition.

And anyway, Happy Birthday to Andrew!!

Last edited:
Sony has backed off after bad reactions to the whole origin not being an accident, so yes they do listen to fans. I think Sony should even do a survey online for fans, asking questions like do we want Ultimate Goblin or 616 Green Goblin?

There is still a small chance that the release date for the movie will be pushed back if the movie doesn't have a director in a couple of months.

Its a good idea but I think a mixture is what we're gonna get. Maybe closer to the ultimate origin, with the goblin of classic 616, and norman with the personality of modern 616.

Its a good idea but I think a mixture is what we're gonna get. Maybe closer to the ultimate origin, with the goblin of classic 616, and norman with the personality of modern 616.
I'm not worried about Norman's personality or anything, but mostly the design.

I'm not worried about Norman's personality or anything, but mostly the design.

This has always been my favorite depiction of Gobby in modern media.

061009_greengoblin.jpg

Better than robo-suit Gobby, ultimate "incredible hulk" Gobby, or even classic 616 with the purple undies.

GreenGoblinMU17.gif

it worries me too

This has always been my favorite depiction of Gobby in modern media.

061009_greengoblin.jpg

Better than robo-suit Gobby, ultimate "incredible hulk" Gobby, or even classic 616 with the purple undies.

GreenGoblinMU17.gif

it worries me too
Where is that photo from?

I've never fully understood what GG's face actually is? Is it a mask or does his face actually morph in his transformation?

I've never fully understood what GG's face actually is? Is it a mask or does his face actually morph in his transformation?

depends on the incarnation, Ultimate Gobby actually morphs into a big green creature that throws fireballs.

originally though, he wore what can only be described as a Halloween costume with a form-fitting mask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"