The Amazing Spider-Man Marc Webb to return? - Part 1

I like UA2 Goblin better than any other Gobby,TSSM Gobby is basically that.

Any word on whether MW will be coming back? I guess not or this thread would be abuzz. When I googled the topic, the last report was that the studio and Webb both wanted him to come back. Really hope it works out.

Now that I think of it, I'd really like someone else to try to direct the sequel. Marc is STILL the indie-director, I don't know if he can handle the scale the next movie should be

You could argue that Marc should come back because the chemistry between the characters was so good, but Marc didn't invent good chemistry! There's plenty of directors that can deliver that

It's not just about chemistry, it's about VISION. The first film showed the origin and how law enforcement reacted to Spider-Man, the vigilante. The next film will really allow Webb to continue to grow the themes of his universe, and we as an audience will get a greater feel for the world his Spidey lives in. He needs to stay to flesh out this take.

Last edited:
Maybe Marc should produce TASM2, and let another director take over?

Now that I think of it, I'd really like someone else to try to direct the sequel. Marc is STILL the indie-director, I don't know if he can handle the scale the next movie should be

You could argue that Marc should come back because the chemistry between the characters was so good, but Marc didn't invent good chemistry! There's plenty of directors that can deliver that

I'm of the opinion that Webb will deliver something magical in the heart-breaking anguish for Peter at losing Gwen. I don't want another director to handle that. The action others can handle, the sentiment and emotional pull is where Webb is exceptional.

I'm of the opinion that Webb will deliver something magical in the heart-breaking anguish for Peter at losing Gwen. I don't want another director to handle that. The action others can handle, the sentiment and emotional pull is where Webb is exceptional.

Yes. I think people underestimate exactly what Webb accomplished. I was not expecting the film to be so authentic and human. I can't remember the last time I was so emotionally invested in the characters in a superhero film. (Nolan's Batman films have a significant pull on me, but the characters ultimately do not feel as well-rounded.) I wouldn't want to risk losing that, so I'm pulling for Webb to come back. I'm sure another director could still hit the right story and character beats, but hitting them and knocking them out of the park are two different things...

That is ultimately what drives the action scenes and makes them elevate to a level above just being an action scene for action's sake. Webb did a pretty good job with filming the fight/action/swinging scenes in ASM for someone who has never really done that type of work before and the glue that really binds those things together are the relationships between the characters, the consequences of the action and that 'emotional pull.'

Yes. I think people underestimate exactly what Webb accomplished. I was not expecting the film to be so authentic and human. I can't remember the last time I was so emotionally invested in the characters in a superhero film. (Nolan's Batman films have a significant pull on me, but the characters ultimately do not feel as well-rounded.) I wouldn't want to risk losing that, so I'm pulling for Webb to come back. I'm sure another director could still hit the right story and character beats, but hitting them and knocking them out of the park are two different things...

Yes. I agree with this.

That is ultimately what drives the action scenes and makes them elevate to a level above just being an action scene for action's sake. Webb did a pretty good job with filming the fight/action/swinging scenes in ASM for someone who has never really done that type of work before and the glue that really binds those things together are the relationships between the characters, the consequences of the action and that 'emotional pull.'

Indeed I quite enjoyed Webb's style and found little if no flaws in it. The character moments and great dialogue just helped make everything about the film...well..."Amazing."

I couldn't have said it better myself! :D :up:

That's the difference between Raimi and Webb for me, Raimi was better at the camera work and visuality of his action, but I just couldn't care about the characters involved and thus, the action gave me nothing. With Webb it's the opposite, he needs to work a little bit on the camera work but his action still felt much more meaningful to me.

I'm just so worried for the sequel... this is the first movie and the human elements are so good that I gave it a pass, but the sequel NEEDS both good human elements and a lot of amazing Spider-man stuff, and I'm really not sure if Webb can pull it off in that department yet.

Now this is the same exact problem I had with Batman Begins and back then I was worried for the action in The Dark Knight, but then the movie blew me away, so it might be the same here. MIGHT be

The action in TDK wasn't really that spectacular to me IMO, but everything was so intense you don't even notice.

Let's take it one step at a time and see if Webb is even coming back or not.

I don't really care. I'm more concerned about the new writers.

Last edited:

That's the difference between Raimi and Webb for me, Raimi was better at the camera work and visuality of his action, but I just couldn't care about the characters involved and thus, the action gave me nothing. With Webb it's the opposite, he needs to work a little bit on the camera work but his action still felt much more meaningful to me.
I'm sorry, but both Raimi and Webb provided equally good films character-wise. They just had a different way in getting there and achieving it. But that doesn't make one better or worse.

I'm sorry, but both Raimi and Webb provided equally good films character-wise. They just had a different way in getting there and achieving it. But that doesn't make one better or worse.

He never said that Webb is better than Raimi....just that he excelled at the camera work and visual aesthetics, where Webb excelled with the characters and I happen to agree with him. Both films give you different things.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

He never said that Webb is better than Raimi....just that he excelled at the camera work and visual aesthetics, where Webb excelled with the characters and I happen to agree with him. Both films give you different things.
Excelled means better. He said Webb is better than Raimi at character, which isn't true. Both provided good characters, very different, but equally good.

Excelled means better. He said Webb is better than Raimi at character, which isn't true. Both provided good characters, very different, but equally good.

In your opinion.

In my opinion, Webb was much better at characters. Your opinion ain't fact, just so you know.

In your opinion.

In my opinion, Webb was much better at characters. Your opinion ain't fact, just so you know.
And I never stated it was. But, it's a pretty direct concept, and one that's not ruled under opinion. Both had character development. That is fact. However, which one you prefer is your opinion. Personally, I'm not a picky man myself, so I can love both equally on it's different merits of character and emotional achievment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"