Homecoming Marvel's Spider-Man Costume!? - Part 8

I agree the suit colors in SMH were too light. The light colors, plus the yellow title etc, gives me a Fischer-Price vibe. It's fine for a teen Spidey, but not my preference. Only other complaint with the Homecoming suit is his waistline is too high and the proportions don't look good, but that's more of a nitpick.

Of all the movie suits, the BTS Civil War one is the best imo. It just hits all the right notes, from the webbing to the colors to the texture. Even the muscle tone is just perfect. I hope they end up with this suit as this Spidey ages, it's really the sublime classic Spider-Man costume. The CW/SMH eyes are already 100% perfect.

8c8f75a5af1ae6abb5f2fb289b7340e2.jpg

spider-man-civil-war-3.jpg

tumblr_ocsje3rhbk1trsn9io1_r1_400.gif

The raised webbing on the Raimi was definitely silver, and dark grey on the TASM2 suit.

I actually really liked the silver webbing on the Raimi suits. They had somewhat of a reflective quality. Depending on the lighting of the scene or the kind of camera angle, they would sometimes look black, dark grey, or silver, which was cool. Either way, the color/hue of the raised webbing never compromised the overall vision and never made him look like anything but Spider-man.

spiderman2_1600-1024x768.jpg

p6ohrCbE.png

spider-man-stills-006.jpg

spider-man-2002-movie-10.png

The eyes don't hold up very well.

Of all the movie suits, the BTS Civil War one is the best imo. It just hits all the right notes, from the webbing to the colors to the texture. Even the muscle tone is just perfect. I hope they end up with this suit as this Spidey ages, it's really the sublime classic Spider-Man costume. The CW/SMH eyes are already 100% perfect.

I love that classic spider logo on the chest, but I don't care for the raised webbing. Coloring is okay, but I really love the brighter blue--at least for this period in Peter's life.

Those eyes are iconic.

They are iconic and hold up substantially better than TASM's designs for the eyes. The reflective quality of the lenses offered many memorable visual moments in Raimi's series.

Yeah I still love the Raimi eyes and I love how they're so distinctive to that Spider-Man. I really liked the TASM2 eyes at first but they don't look good to me anymore. I see what they were going for but they didn't quite nail the Bagley/McFarlane look.

This is Andy Park's concept art for homecoming. Would love to see Holland evolve to this eventually.

tuqRCrG.jpg

That's purdy. I could totally see adult Holland in that. Looks like a nice evolution of the MCU suit thus far. I'm assuming that logo would change to what we've seen so far.

EDIT: Not crazy about that red striping on the inside of the arm, actually.

I agree the suit colors in SMH were too light. The light colors, plus the yellow title etc, gives me a Fischer-Price vibe. It's fine for a teen Spidey, but not my preference. Only other complaint with the Homecoming suit is his waistline is too high and the proportions don't look good, but that's more of a nitpick.

Yeah this would have been better it is similar to what we have only the raised webbing makes it look a lot lot better.

The raised webbing on the Raimi was definitely silver, and dark grey on the TASM2 suit.

I actually really liked the silver webbing on the Raimi suits. They had somewhat of a reflective quality. Depending on the lighting of the scene or the kind of camera angle, they would sometimes look black, dark grey, or silver, which was cool. Either way, the color/hue of the raised webbing never compromised the overall vision and never made him look like anything but Spider-man.

spiderman2_1600-1024x768.jpg

p6ohrCbE.png

spider-man-stills-006.jpg

spider-man-2002-movie-10.png

See I really do think lighting has a lot to do with it because it that last photo it looks more grey/black then silver and on the first photo on his hand were there is less light it looks like of black. But in the movie it always looked black to me. Only time it looked silver to me is on like posters and set photos. Either way silver dark grey what ever just make it a really black black raised webbing and we are good.

Last edited:
There's a lot to like about this suit, but the stupid dark lines on this thing, especially on his legs, it just almost ruins the entire visual effect whenever there's a full body shot.

I get it, it's supposed to look "techy". But when the rest of it doesn't, and it only looks screenprinted...and half the suit is designed to look like a leotard with hidden tech...

Meh.

Is this from Civil War? Where are the black bands around the shoulders and why is he wearing mo-cap fabric around his arms?

Is this from Civil War? Where are the black bands around the shoulders and why is he wearing mo-cap fabric around his arms?

My guess is that they used that suit as a placeholder while they finalized the design. Or to prevent leaks. Either way I think the intent was always to change the suit in post, which is why it looked so cgi even though there was an actual suit.

I don't mind this one, but it looks like a cake to me :funny:

Would've been nice too since A) I'm not sure it would've had all that tech and B) he wouldn't look so CG in CW

They had not finalized the suit. They decided to replace the whole suit with a CGI suit like Black Panther once they did. The downside to this for me is that they are obsessed with with CGI Spider-man and Black Panther. That worked for Iron Man and is so so with these guys.

I can't really agree with you. First and foremost you are taking pictures that aren't from the final film with the exception of the last one. They are mostly promo stuff.

Even then I don't see how they failed to hold up.I still think they are the best action Spider-man eyes. But overall I think each suit has done a good job with the mask. Even TASM suit I feel was a great mask.

Now the webbing of the Raimi suit. The coloring is gun metal. That means that it's not black. It does mean that in the light it can come off as silver and in less lit scenes we get a nice range of tones which I think made it pop

Looking back at the suit with CGI. Yes the raised webbing made the CGI model much better. It generally avoided the plastic doll look that is very apparent in Homecoming at times.

Also I know people hate the suits being darker but once again this is the reality of lighting. By being a darker suit, the CGI really popped nicely in well lit situations. The Raimi suits simply always looked good thanks to texture and color.

The Homecoming suit also has great things going for it but there is way too much faith put in the CGI without accounting for the suits design. Sony realized in TASM2 why the Raimi suit didn't need to be changed for 3 films. Marvel is on the "Different for difference sake" without going into TASM territory.

There is a balance that can be struck but it requires them to dissect the Raimi suit and improve on it. Not make changes for changes sake.

Not having raised webbing is seriously a negative change for me. It works in a comic but in CGI it just creates a plastic look. Also raised webbing would fix the CGI head issue.

Really the lessen is this. Perfectly smooth things that are humanoid look very fake in CGI.

Raimi fixed that with raised webbing and a very clear cell pattern on the blue and red.

Webb fixed it by copying the Raimi suit but chose thinner webs and not using gunmetal black. Plus having a visible texture.

Deadpool avoids it by accepting the curves of the actors face and letting seams create that texture.

I know a wall of text that basically says yay raised webbing.

I wanted a scene at the end that showed all the tech from the Spider-Man suit was gone with the exception of the eyes as the Spider-Man (in the MCU) needs to shut out some of the sensory input, something Peter mentions in CW.

This is Andy Park's concept art for homecoming. Would love to see Holland evolve to this eventually.

tuqRCrG.jpg

This is so beautiful :hmr:

I love how shiny the suit looks, the fabric of the CW/HC suit doesn't reflect light at all and it just looks flat. The other costumes didn't have this problem because of the raised webbing but also because of the type of fabric

13911488164_d3d013540f.jpg

Even BTS pics look amazing because of that. Another problem with the HC suit is that the web pattern is barely noticeable, looks like it was drawn with pencils or something.

I like the idea of this, but something about it just looks cheap. The webbing looks like some kind of string glued on or something. A case of the execution not matching the concept.

So are the pictures floating around of the end suit legit? If you don't know what I'm talking about, the design actually reminds me of the stealth suit, but the spider is black with a thick gold trim. I would post a picture, but I'm not sure it's kosher. Anyway, if it's legit, it's pretty disappointing. I don't really wanna see a bunch of different spider suits anyway, but this is surprisingly uninspired.

The CW BTS suit does look like cake :funny: Maybe that's why it looks so appealing to me?

Yeah, the Raimi suit is legendary. It's truly remarkable how well it holds up and how good it looks BTS. I like the new changes with Homecoming but the new suit just doesn't hit that sweet spot. All said, I really just want an updated, refreshed, full realized Raimi type of suit again. Black, raised webbing, darker/deeper colors, and the perfect Holland eyes. Basically exactly like the Andy Park concept I posted above.

THAT would be the definitive Spider-Man costume for me.

This is so beautiful :hmr:

Even BTS pics look amazing because of that. Another problem with the HC suit is that the web pattern is barely noticeable, looks like it was drawn with pencils or something.

It's less the material and more the inking process. For Spider-man 2 they switched to sublimation printing which is why the patterns have a nice glossy effect going on. Then you got the airbrushing of the muscles.

Really the work done on the Raimi suit holds hold because a crazy amount of work went into it.

Ever since then it feels like they don't want to put in that work. Though having looked at the recent Black Panther suit I feel that's a spiritual successor. Also this approach is why the DCEU suits look fantastic(even if someone doesn't agree on the colors).

I think the MCU likes to have the gear and seams create the pattern while the DCEU likes to have the inking and undersuits build the form.

Both work and we all win.

So are the pictures floating around of the end suit legit? If you don't know what I'm talking about, the design actually reminds me of the stealth suit, but the spider is black with a thick gold trim. I would post a picture, but I'm not sure it's kosher. Anyway, if it's legit, it's pretty disappointing. I don't really wanna see a bunch of different spider suits anyway, but this is surprisingly uninspired.

yes
but he doesn't actually take it.

My favorite suite leading up to this movie was TASM2 because I loved the look of the eyes. I was always a fan of the big eyes - the early Ultimate Spider-Man look. However, the suit in this movie really grew on me moreso than it did in Civil War. If they got rid of the black bands I'd be pretty happy with it.

Also, the homemade suit was excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"