MCU Fight: Thor Vs. Captain Marvel

She caught a Kree missile the size of cruise ship and threw it at the other incoming missiles. Yeah, she’s got super strength. ;)

Another thing to note: Thor has to “summon” his more impressive powers - the lightning, the Bifrost to go to light-speed (or however fast that goes). Carol’s a quickdraw with hers. We’ve also seen Thor physically injured at least 4 times in fights. So far, once she ditched her power inhibitor, we have seen Carol take missiles to the face and she has yet to have a scratch on her. I’ve seen no evidence of Thor having any kind of durability advantage.

The thing you are missing here, is we go by feats.

Thor surviving the blast of a star for over 10-15 seconds is a greater durability feat than Carol taking missles to the face and not having scratches. Thor's feat is superior, therefor he has a durability edge. That's how it works

Thor surviving the blast of a star for over 10-15 seconds is a greater durability feat than Carol taking missles to the face and not having scratches. Thor's feat is superior, therefor he has a durability edge. That's how it works
I'm aware of how it works, thanks. But it's obviously not that simple. Carol not having taken the force from a star in the 5 minutes we've seen of her at full power in no way means she couldn't. The EASE with which she took those missiles to the face unharmed suggests she could survive exponentially more, probably even a star. Nothing she faced at the end of her movie even seemed to affect her, which means, logically, she could handle a hell of a lot more.

This ain't the scientific method, and the results aren't facts. It's simply OPINION polls asking who posters think would win in a fight based on what we've seen.

The Dwarve King said it would take minutes, so Thor withstood the blast for multiple minutes.

The Dwarve King said it would take minutes, so Thor withstood the blast for multiple minutes.

How long in actual screen time ? I think you're reaching there dude, but even 10-15 seconds is damn impressive.
CM might be able to do that, but her powers are solar based.

Still what really matters is her durability against a big ass axe and lightning bolts.

How long in actual screen time ? I think you're reaching there dude, but even 10-15 seconds is damn impressive.
CM might be able to do that, but her powers are solar based.

Still what really matters is her durability against a big ass axe and lightning bolts.

The Dwarf King said it would take a few minutes, screentime is irrelevant when a character explicity states how long something lasts.

It's not like the Dwarf King does this for a living.....oh wait.

Even based on what we saw on screen, it was definitely longer than 15 seconds:

As you can see here, the beam hits him at 0:11, he passes out at 0:58 and the beam cuts out at 1:05.

So, he basically managed to stay conscious for 47 seconds while taking the full brunt of the star's energy.

And I distinctly remember Eitri saying that it would take several minutes for the uru to melt. I guess they cut it down since they realised that most audience members don't want to watch Chris Hemsworth screaming his ass off for several minutes lol.

As you can see here, the beam hits him at 0:11, he passes out at 0:58 and the beam cuts out at 1:05.

So, he basically managed to stay conscious for 47 seconds while taking the full brunt of the star's energy.

And I distinctly remember Eitri saying that it would take several minutes for the uru to melt. I guess they cut it down since they realised that most audience members don't want to watch Chris Hemsworth screaming his ass off for several minutes lol.

Clearly, I don't see what's so hard to understand.about that.

The Dwarf King said it would take a few minutes, screentime is irrelevant when a character explicity states how long something lasts.

It's not like the Dwarf King does this for a living.....oh wait.

Ah ha, so does that mean that when Thor expressly says that his lightning blast did nothing to Hela it's got to be right, irrelevant of how much time she was offscreen ? Can't have it both ways dude. Maybe dwarf minutes are shorter than 60 seconds, maybe Eitri was guessing, who knows? Does it really matter ? The point is that Thor performed an impressive feat and got a bit fried doing it, no matter how long it was for.

That's how it's done ! :applaud
Now that I can accept, a point of view supported by evidence - 47 seconds is impressive anyway. Maybe he only needed 47 seconds worth of star power to heat up the metal which then took a few minutes to melt and take shape in the mold. Who knows ?

Ah ha, so does that mean that when Thor expressly says that his lightning blast did nothing to Hela it's got to be right, irrelevant of how much time she was offscreen ? Can't have it both ways dude. Maybe dwarf minutes are shorter than 60 seconds, maybe Eitri was guessing, who knows? Does it really matter ? The point is that Thor performed an impressive feat and got a bit fried doing it, no matter how long it was for.

Once again it's not an "opinion", the actual script said Hela was KO'd and Thor himself flew off immediately after blasting her so how would even know what it did to her? All he knows was she popped back up a few minutes later without any signs of injury so of course he would think he did nothing to her. More than likely he meant to kill her since KO'ing her briefly is not enough to stop her completely.

That is in no way the same as Eitri, a dwarf king who's job has been forging weapons for thousands of years expressly saying how long he would need to forge a weapon. In both cases you are arguing opinion vs fact, facts that I didn't create or come up with by the way.

Once again it's not an "opinion", the actual script said Hela was KO'd and Thor himself flew off immediately after blasting her so how would even know what it did to her? All he knows was she popped back up a few minutes later without any signs of injury so of course he would think he did nothing to her. More than likely he meant to kill her since KO'ing her briefly is not enough to stop her completely.

That is in no way the same as Eitri, a dwarf king who's job has been forging weapons for thousands of years expressly saying how long he would need to forge a weapon. In both cases you are arguing opinion vs fact, facts that I didn't create or come up with by the way.

Dude your have expressed 2 mutually exclusive points of view:
A) That what a character explicitly states is true regardless of what the audience sees and screen time does not equal actual time.

B) That what a character explicitly states is not true if what the audience sees looks different, and screentime does equal actual time.

The only qualification only point B) is that the script says Hela was knocked out.

Can you see the difficulty with your arguments? They contradict each other.

What makes a lot more sense is what, @Fosterson has done. He's provided us with the facts - what we can see and measure on the screen, that's not an opinion.
Watching 47 seconds of screentime a d extrapolating that into a number of minutes, well that's an assumption you're making - not an opinion but equally lacking in proof ( other than a statement by a character).

Again you are missing the point - whether Thor did what he did for 47 seconds, minutes, hours or days isn't that important - it's an impressive feat anyway you look at it.

You also missed the main point of my post which was to suggest that CM's durability against big ass magic titan-killing axes has not been tested, and is questionable. So....Thor wins.

Let's just agree to disagree on the other stuff and move on.

Taking the full force of a star (i.e. probably the equivalent of several nuclear bombs) for 47 seconds whilst holding the weight of a gigantic mechanism is already a ridiculous feat, no real need to argue about whether it was longer.

The feat's only relevance here is that Captain Marvel's photon blasts aren't nearly as powerful as the star so Thor should be able to tank them.

Taking the full force of a star (i.e. probably the equivalent of several nuclear bombs) for 47 seconds whilst holding the weight of a gigantic mechanism is already a ridiculous feat, no real need to argue about whether it was longer.

The feat's only relevance here is that Captain Marvel's photon blasts aren't nearly as powerful as the star so Thor should be able to tank them.

Whew! At last sanity prevails. :applaud

If I run someone and drive off immediately after without looking at them would my opinion on whether they're okay or not matter?

That's pure nonesense, does Thor all of a sudden have a sixth sense that indicates if someone is concscious or not without looking at them?

Let's be serious here.

If I run someone and drive off immediately after without looking at them would my opinion on whether they're okay or not matter?

That's pure nonesense, does Thor all of a sudden have a sixth sense that indicates if someone is concscious or not without looking at them?

Let's be serious here.

Sigh. While I could point out how what you've said further undermines you original point instead I refer you to this.....

Now that is uncommonly common sense. Again:applaud

Sigh. While I could point out how what you've said further undermines you original point instead I refer you to this.....

It doesn't undermine it at all, those are two totally different situations that you are trying to make the same.

They're not comparable and I don't know why you insist on making them so. I'm not going to respond anymore because it seems like you are choosing to be oblivious so I'm going to let you continue to be.

Last edited:
It doesn't undermine it at all, those are two totally different situations that you are trying to make the same.

They're not comparable and I don't know why you insist on making them so. I'm not going to respond anymore because it seems like you are choosing to be oblivious so I'm going to let you continue to be.

Well.....okay then :hmm agree to disagree. Dude you have become so fixated on this one minor issue ( which is pretty minor as @Stormborn so capably pointed out) you have totally missed out on the real issue which is that Thor's durability feats are much more impressive than CM's and he could probably ignore her photon blasts.

Are you having a bad week or something ?

We need a Thor 1 vs Captain Marvel movie vote thread after all of this movie talk!

I will go on record to say though that for me Thor 1 is still one of the most underrated MCU movies. But I enjoyed CM a lot as well, it would be a tough one for me.

We need a Thor 1 vs Captain Marvel movie vote thread after all of this movie talk!

I will go on record to say though that for me Thor 1 is still one of the most underrated MCU movies. But I enjoyed CM a lot as well, it would be a tough one for me.

It also has one of the greatest improvised movents in MCU history imo :funny:

Thor would absolutely win. He's a God so I just can't have or accept that Captain Marvel would beat him.

That and there's the 10 years of history with Thor in the MCU where he's taken out some formidable villains. Danvers is the new kid on the block and needs to prove herself.

my thoughts are, if given the chance to get amped up and go Binary, Carol would prob take MCU Thor
but if the fight happens quickly, or if they are just sparring- any normal time where she is not Binary- Thor would win

Thor would absolutely win. He's a God so I just can't have or accept that Captain Marvel would beat him.
Actually, he's a long living and extra strong alien who superstitious humans from a thousand years ago thought was a god.

That and there's the 10 years of history with Thor in the MCU where he's taken out some formidable villains. Danvers is the new kid on the block and needs to prove herself.
According to what we have seen so far....Danvers has been fighting formidable foes across the galaxy for 20 years....so I don't think she has to prove anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"