MCU Phase IV!

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Lord, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Well-Known Member

I hope Monica Rambeau shows up in Phase 4.

2. Tg11

Tg11 Well-Known Member

I wonder what the release dates will be for Black Panther 2? Doctor Strange 2? Black Widow? Guardians Vol 3?

3. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yes, would be nice.

4. MasterCat

MasterCat Well-Known Member

I actually hope she doesn't show up until Captain Marvel 3. Let her literally be Captain Marvel III, taking over for a depowered/I-Must-Go-Now-My-Kree-Planet-Needs-Me Carol as soon as Brie Larson's contract runs out. I feel like she deserves better than puttering around the periphery under the name Spectrum, or what have you.

5. Iceman

What about how BP and Spidey were introduced in CW? That created a lot of hype for those characters.

6. MasterCat

I just don't see that happening for Pulsar/Spectrum. In comics, Monica has plummeted terribly by losing the Captain Marvel title, going from leader of the Avengers in the '80s to getting dissed by Genis-Vell to being an ensemble player in a comedy book.
    Obv. the MCU doesn't have to reflect the comics at all, but it often does. The current GotG had a six-year push leading up to their film, and Carol has been even more heavily pushed in the 2010s. So I stand by my preference for introducing her as Captain Marvel III after Mar-Vell and Carol.

7. Iceman

Maybe after BP and WW, they will bring her more to the forefront when they eventually do introduce her.

8. Speed Force

Speed Force Your phone's charged

My prediction! I'm probably pretty wrong but this is my guess...

2020: Guardians 3 (We know this for sure), Black Widow, Doctor Strange 2

2021: Black Panther 2, The Eternals, Spider-Man 3/Ant-Man 3

2022: Ant-Man 3/Spider-Man 3 (Whichever doesn't get the 2021 release), Nova, Captain Marvel 2

2023: Doctor Strange 3, Avengers 5, possible new property or a Widow sequel if the first one isn't a prequel.

2024: Eternals 2, Spider-Man 4, and Power Pack?

Overall I think about half of these are likely and I think 2020 is pretty much confirmed.

9. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

If they make Monica the new Captain Marvel, they'll be making her a legacy character instead of debuting as her own hero. Nah, I'd rather see her as Spectrum. Just because she hasn't hit big with that name in the comics doesn't mean she can't in the movies.

10. MasterCat

I think you're pretty close. Sony will insist on a Spider-Man film every other Summer, so put Ant-Man in 2022.
    I wouldn't be confident of Nova not getting pushed back in favor of the X-Men and then F4.
    If The Eternals is a huge MCU-changing event (Celestials land on Earth like the original comic) but flops, there could be a backup plan of greenlighting a Thor 4 based on the Eternals Saga from his comic to clean that huge plot up.

11. Hammer!

Hammer! Well-Known Member

The three MCU dates are Disney in 2021 and 2022. So a third Spider-Man movie would give us a fourth film in one of those years. Disney would not set a release date for a Sony film.

2020- Gotg 3, Widow, Strange 2
    2021- Panther 2, Ant Man 3, Eternals
    2022- Avengers 5, Captain Marvel, either Nova or Ms. Marvel

With Spidey 3 in 2021 or 2022 as well

12. MasterCat

A movie titled Ms. Marvel is highly improbable. Kamala will be in CM2 in 2022, then Feige will accept all the praise from the chattering class for having a Muslim superhero without having to risk money on a whole film about one.

13. Speed Force

Good point about the Spider-Man movies. While I don't think 4 MCU movies in '21 or '22 is improbable, I'd be surprised. The "date" could easily be taken off the calendar in place of the third Spidey film.

I forgot about the F4 somehow. I could see that being one of the new releases but probably not til 2022 at the earliest.

Obviously Black Widow and from what I've heard, the Eternals are further in development. (Of course since Marvel can't really start to work on a F4 or X-Men film)

Nova makes a lot of sense after Infinity War frankly. I could see that happening soonish.

14. MasterCat

Nova does indeed make a lot of sense after Infinity War. Because of the setup in IW, the sooner he gets his origin the more sense it makes.

15. AvengerPA

AvengerPA Well-Known Member

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Guardians 3
    Black Widow
    Doctor Strange 2

Black Panther 2
    Eternals
    Spider-Man 3

Thor 4
    Ant-Man 3
    Nova

Captain Marvel 2
    Avengers 5
    Scarlet Witch and Vision

16. Speed Force

I could see this except I'd be surprised if we got a Scarlet Witch and Vision movie.

I'm betting we'll get Black Panther 2 in 2021 now that they moved the date from July to Feb.

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1016737609094029312?s=19

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  17. NHawk19

NHawk19 insert witty comment

2020:
    GOTG3
    Black Widow
    DrS 2

2021:
    BP2
    Eternals
    A-Force

2022:
    CM2
    Thor 4
    Ant-Man 3

2023:
    DrS 3
    Avengers 5
    Ravengers

Sony should be almost every other year with SM 3. Then if they were smart the spin-offs after that. Obviously if the Fox deal closes you can add Doom or F4 in there maybe even a Star Jammers movie.

Gunn has stated before that he'd like to do a Thunderbolts film. Not sure how that fits in, but Ross has been popping up more lately.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  18. fixxxer

fixxxer ...goes to 11

One way or the other (and more so if the Fox acquisition goes through) I believe we'll be going to a 4 movies/year schedule sooner rather than later.

There's simply no way to both consistently release sequels for the existing individual franchises and introduce new characters at a logically coherent rate.

19. Speed Force

Two sequels and one new property works fine. Ant-Man just has one more movie, if they even give him a trilogy, and I'm assuming Widow will be a one off as well

20. RockSP

RockSP MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Agreed.

21. MasterCat

I'd bet money that never happens. Let's be honest: Monica IS a legacy character; that's why they'd put her in a Captain Marvel movie in the first place. She had her biggest success under the legacy name. No one at Marvel Studios would think in a hundred years of making Spectrum leader of the Avengers. If that's what they call her, she'll never get a solo film and her status on the Avengers would be a bit player like Black Iron Man.

22. Tymminator

Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

Me too.

I agree, Plus Less baggage that way.

Her comic success/failure is mostly due to writers who either didn’t know how to write her or simply didn’t want to, so she wasn’t used (or used to simply take her name from to give to another character). Basically other writers disrespected the character, but their disrespect doesn't mean the character inherently sucks.

If she is written well, be it comic or movie, she will be fine. She has a great power-set and you just need the right team to get her done well.

23. MasterCat

I don't see it. If she's Spectrum in Captain Marvel 2, that's already "we know she's another CM, wink wink fans" baggage and she'll just be Carol's Black Friend, no more independent than War Machine. Sure they'll make her Avenger sooner or later, but she'll be as unimportant as WM.
    Make her a fresh face/legacy in #3 and she'll have higher status and helps extend the MCU beyond Brie Larson's contract.

24. Tymminator

Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

It all depends on the story telling. A character can be significant to the story in another characters movie and most def not be unimportant.

Black Widow was great in CA:WS and CA:CW.

If any character is written as unimportant, that’s a flaw of the writers, not the character.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  25. Zarex

Zarex Well-Known Member

Though I hope she will be around for a while, an adaptation of "The Death of Captain Marvel" would be a great send off for Brie when she decides to hang them up. After debuting as Spectrum (or something else) Monica can take over the CM name as a tribute to her fallen friend.