MCU Phase IV!

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Lord, Oct 29, 2014.

1. spideymouse

spideymouse Well-Known Member

Only one Phase IV movie in 2019, yes.

Captain Marvel and Avengers 4 are Phase III.

2. MasterCat

MasterCat Well-Known Member

Everything after A4 won't necessarily be "phases" at all according to Feige, though the Fox acquisition throws a monkey wrench in the idea of NOT doing phases, when Doctor Doom needs a character arc and F4 -> Avengers/F4 vs Galactus -> Secret Wars is also an obvious path.
    There's supposedly a plan for 20 films after A4, which would carry the studio to the end of 2025.

3. spideymouse

spideymouse Well-Known Member

Understood. Just using the nomenclature utilized and literally titled on this thread.

4. MasterCat

No worries. I was implying that in hindsight the slate of films between A4 and X-Men or F4 will officially be "Phase 4" even if they're written to be very different and have no arc. One of the 2022 releases will end that phase and they'll start another grand arc that involves Doom, Galactus and Mutants.

5. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

We'll see. A year ago I doubt Feige thought he'd be getting Fantastic Four AND X-Men back just as the first arc of the MCU was coming to a close. This acquisition will no doubt change things. Whether that means a return to more "phases" in the sense that we know it, or whether they stay the planned course for 2020 and beyond and work Fantastic Four and X-Men in accordingly, who knows? But this is a big deal. Plans are no doubt changing to some degree.

6. Darkprime

Darkprime Well-Known Member

I could see fantastic four taking volume 3s date in 2020. And getting the homecoming treatment. Bumping a few movies back as a result. But well get F4 sooner.

7. MasterCat

No, they're going to try to get that baby out on time without James Gunn standing there scaring it.

8. Darkprime

If they dont use his script then i think well hear about a delay to 2021 for volume 3 or it gets taken off the slate. It wouldnt be the first mcu film to have a 4 year gap between sequels. They need all the time they can get.

F4 would be a perfect replacement for Guardians and as sad as it would.be to not get volume 3 at all the fox deal couldnt have come at a better time. Now Feige has back up options. If volume 3 doesnt happen.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  9. MasterCat

Why would it not happen? Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dumb World and Avengers: Infinity Warweren't even delayed, so far as I know.

10. Drizzle

Drizzle I got my cake.

No chance. Fantastic Four would need to be well into preproduction by now and the deal hasn't gone through yet.

11. Darkprime

The deal will be done on Friday. Yes there will still be a integration process. But they should be able to immediately transfer the rights to Marvel Studios after the shareholder meeting. Lets say a script takes anywhere between 6 months to a year to write. If they get a script handed in by December. Pre production can start early 2019. Filming in the Summer. It would be close but they could make a May-July 2020 release. Or even a fall 2020 release.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  12. Drizzle

Drizzle I got my cake.

Fall 2020 is more doable, but you can't ask for a rushed production to fill GOTG 3's (presumably) May 2020 slot. Fantastic Four has already been ****ed up enough, they need to take their time with this one. GOTG 3 more than likely won't be pushed back anyway.

13. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

They may agree to the sale this week but the whole merger would still need to go through government approval, which wouldn't conclude until sometime next year. Until the deal is finished, Feige said they really can't start work on anything dealing with those characters.

14. Darkprime

They already got DOJ approval.

15. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

They got provisional, not final, approval of the sale. Disney and Fox have to prove to the government that they've sold off the needed assets and have reorganized in a manner the government specified. They also still need to get a few more international/foreign approvals because of the overseas properties also included in the deal. It's likely a mere formality at this point but steps still need to be done. After reading a bit more to reaquaint myself with some of the acquisition details, it does look like they'll get things finalized by the end of this year so they'll get the Fox Marvel stuff a bit sooner than I thought but I doubt Feige will rush it just to get something out in 2020.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  16. Darkprime

Lets talk about the 2020 slate which may have to be altered. Lets say volume 3 was locked for may 2020 can they still make it? Or could something like Eternals take it place? Maybe eternals was 2021 but they move it up and volume 3 takes a slot in 2021 to get more time. So lets say eternals drops in May 2020. Followed by Black Widow in and then probably Dr strange 2 in the fall. Beyond 2020 i have no idea what to expect. Were in uncharted waters and its super exciting not knowing.

17. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Eternals is only in early stages of development, it doesn't have a cast, crew, script, etc. May2020 would be a very rushed, too truncated schedule to make.

Black Widow or DS2 are the only potential films that could reasonably make May2020 since they have cast & crew attached (presuming Derrickson is coming back, if so, he's probably been squirreling away ideas for a sequel).

GotG3, IMO, is still going to make the May2020 release though. It's got a complete draft of a script, cast & most of a crew, as well as probably a fair amount of pre-production. There's still enough time to get a new director and film early next year.

18. MbJ

MbJ Well-Known Member

Why would any of those three movies have been delayed? The only one that had serious behind the scenes issues was Dark World.

19. Tg11

Tg11 Well-Known Member

I mean which movies will make up the 2020 slate? I mean 2020 I know of Guardians Vol 3 and most likely Black Widow and Doctor Strange 2 so if these are the films that make up the 2020 slate then I wonder which films will make up the 2021 slate for the MCU?

20. CaptainWagner

CaptainWagner Cool. Cool cool cool.

2021 would probably be The Eternals and Black Panther 2. Not sure what the 3rd film would be, maybe another Ant-Man/Wasp venture, but I think it could be feasible to get one of the old Fox properties ready to launch by then. That's the earliest I could see us getting F4 or X-Men.

21. Tg11

Tg11 Well-Known Member

2021 my slate I would go with Black Panther 2, The Eternals and Fantastic Four as the 3rd film to finish the slate

22. Venom 1988

Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

Given Feige's recent comments about moving to 3 movies a years, it seems like we're getting 2 sequels plus 1 new movie every year.

So it may be something like this:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
    NEW
    Doctor Strange 2

Black Panther 2
    Ant-Man 3
    NEW

Captain Marvel 2
    Avengers 5? (or some event type movie)
    NEW

Granted obviously things can change, but this seems likely to me.

23. MasterCat

The question is, are they keeping a slot open for a 2021 Spider-Man sequel?

24. Tg11

Tg11 Well-Known Member

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3
    Black Widow
    Doctor Strange 2

Black Panther 2
    The Eternals
    Ant Man 3

Captain Marvel 2
    Avengers 5
    Fantastic Four Reboot

Black Widow 2
    X-Men Reboot
    The Eternals Sequel

25. Venom 1988

Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

I would say no for 2 reasons

1.) The Disney/Sony deal was only for 5 movies and ends with Far From Home. So while it would be cool to for them to renew the deal, Feige is probably planning as if Sony won't just in case.

2.) Disney doesn't announce movies for other companies. Both Homecoming and Far From Home were announced by Sony. So all of the unannounced Marvel movie slots probably have nothing to do with Spider-Man.

Now if they do renew the Disney/Sony deal, their movie schedule might get shuffled around like they did with Phase 3.