MCU Phase IV!

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Lord, Oct 29, 2014.

1. MasterCat

MasterCat Well-Known Member

Yes, but NOT debuting in Captain Marvel 2. It's easy for superhero movies to become overstuffed trash cans by trying to stuff in supporting heroes from decades of comics along with villains to fight.
    CM2 with Carol, Ms. Marvel, Spectrum and more than one villain would be as bad as Iron Man 2 at best - worse if Captain Marvel is itself an inferior film to Iron Man. It would also shorten Monica's MCU lifespan, because she'd have already made 1-2 contract appearances before CM3 rather than letting the universe and its contracts breathe.

2. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Y'all are already talking about replacing a character we haven't even met yet, lol.

3. Zarex

Zarex Well-Known Member

4. Tymminator

Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

I can’t agree, not talking about replacing a character who appears in 2019 is not lazy...if she is popular and well received and the actress is on board, she will be around for at least 10 years...I doubt she will be anywhere needing to be replaced by 2024. And that is even if they indeed decided to replace her.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. MasterCat

The studio burns through a six-film contract relatively quickly.
    Brie Larson will be in Captain Marvel & Avengers 4 next year. If CM is a success, we can expect a trilogy with 2022 & 2025 releases. She'll be leading the Avengers in A5. Who knows what other film she'll be part of a team in?
    Though more significantly, I'm expecting Chadwick Boseman to break the studio's arm over salary after five non-cameo appearances because Black Panther made so much money. He only consented to sign a five-film contract and has already been in three. I'm wondering if he's reduced to a cameo in A4 to save him for BP2 and A5 or not. If not, he'll already have the studio over a barrel once BP2 wraps. That's why I'm already prepared for his death in BP3. People seem to like Shuri's actress better than him anyway, so it's a win-win.
    You can't expect anyone to stick around for 10+ years from now on unless they're very affordable.

6. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

7. Tymminator

Yeah it’s true the movies come out relatively fast, but there was also talk of her being a front and center character...I don’t see them letting a character who is popular, meant to be front and center only stick around for 5 years or so. Plus Brie Larson is young and will probably be in other movies too, especially if they continue a version of the Avengers.

Honestly, I see actors real life ages be a big factor (not the only factor mind you, as they may simply want to call it a day, but a big factor) of how long some characters stick around before retirement/replacement.

(Makes me think of Astro City for some reason)

I DO bet we will see some form of a Shuri Black Panther though, and that could be tight.

8. Tymminator

Exactly. Also, they were all older than she is now than when they started then. Brie potentially can be around for quite a while.

9. MasterCat

2019-2025 is only 2 years less than Chris Evans debuting in 2011 and giving up the shield in 2019. "Being front and center" doesn't have to mean "being Robert Downey Jr"... that's an unsustainable amount of money.

Oh my gosh, yes, age is a big factor. By Infinity War, Mark Ruffalo looks like a doughy Reed Richards and Don Cheadle looks downright elderly. I won't pick on RDJ since he's known to be leaving forever next year.
    And yes, it could. Especially if T'Challa is killed by a worthy enemy like Doctor Doom and she has to go after him.

10. Tymminator

Yeah, but Evan’s more likely leaving for other interests, and although he’s very prominent, I always took it they meant Brie to be more front and center like Stark was. That said there are still plenty who are on the longer end and are not even front and center, Black Widow and War Machine even if they both die in Avengers 4 lasted 9 years each.

I wonder if for Hulk they decide to keep him CG and have him played as a merged Professor Hulk deal, that way they don’t have to deal with his age.

I kinda want to see a She-Hulk some day though

11. MasterCat

Well I really hope they've learned their lesson about letting an actor "be front and center like Stark was." If not, Father Mickey's CFO himself will have to intervene.
    I don't think people will be making their decision on whether to attend a 2027 MCU film on whether or not Marvel is still paying Brie Larson. Letting actors who demand too much money go won't ruin their cinematic universe.

12. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

D23 is next month. What are your hopes for it? Do you think they will officially announce phase 4? It would be the perfect place since they’re not going to SDCC this year

13. Chesterfield

Chesterfield Well-Known Member

Watching the battle of Wakanda in IW and seeing T'Challa and Steve race and jump towards the aliens and kicking ass, it made me realise how badly I want to see a Cap and Black Panther team up film. Can you imagine how awesome that would be and the money it would make? If Evans really is leaving and Bucky takes over as Cap, then they need to get a stronger relationship really going between Bucky and T'Challa.

14. Speed Force

Speed Force Your phone's charged

No. They won't announce anything till after A4

15. Tg11

Tg11 Well-Known Member

Then how about X-Men and Fantastic Four I wonder how come they aren't in this slate?

16. Protar

Protar Well-Known Member

I would not expect X-men or F4 movies until 2024. Marvel already has a slate planned out through to 2022. Unlike the Spiderman situation, there's no deadline for them to get the Fox characters on screen; once they acquire the rights they can use them any time they like. With things still not locked down, it makes more sense to focus on the films they know they can make, and a few years down the line when everything is definitely back home they can start work on Fox and X-men films.

17. Lip

Lip Well-Known Member

Now that Gunn has been fired, I believe Marvel will take time to find the right director to helm the franchise. So possibly the movie will be delayed and will not premiere in 2020.

If that indeed happens, do you think Marvel will release only two movies in 2020, or will they "rush" another one? Maybe Black Widow, Dr Strange 2 and The Eternals?

18. Speed Force

Speed Force Your phone's charged

I think they can move Widow up to the May release date and keep Strange in Nov. I'm not sure The Eternals is far enough along to get ready by the end of the year though so who knows what they'll do.

I think they'll just move Black Widow to May and Guardians 3 in July

19. Lip

Lip Well-Known Member

Yeah, that make sense. I think it will be easier to find another director for Guardians than rush The Eternals. Although, who know what is the third movie they have for 2020. Is it really Doctor Strange?

20. Hello2016

Hello2016 Well-Known Member

This is what I think may be possible and am not saying it's necessarily good.

Cosmic Movie DownGrade: This will presumably open the doorway towards pushing an FF or X-Men movie out sooner and remove a lot of the cosmic side plans for the Marvel Universe Phase 4. This probably would've happened to some extent anyway but now it seems likely Marvel will want to shift focus directly on these properties moreso now.

Gaurdians 3?: The 3rd Guardians film is up in the air at this point. Commitment depends I suppose on how much work presumably has taken place to prep for shooting. If actual sets have been built then it'll probably be a production delay by 1-5 months but of course could be longer if actors schedules aren't cleared. If sets haven't been built or prep fees at more of a minimum then expect a full extra year of getting things together again that may or may not yield something that comes to fruition. In other words, a slow segue until fans will be distracted more by X-Men or FF and forget about this.

2020: Marvel will take the simple approach on this. If only 2 movies available then only 2 movies available.

Humor Makeover: Some of the humor in the Marvel movies I can also see being given a critical makeover as well just to err on the side of caution.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  21. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

Like I said in the GOTG forum, I think Vol. 3 still makes a 2020 release. Marvel managed to get Ant-Man make its July 2015 release date after the whole Wright situation on much shorter notice. I think they'll do it again for GOTG.

22. Hello2016

Hello2016 Well-Known Member

Comparing it to Ant-Man I think raises the question how much extra work is Kevin Feige going to want to do to work through sudden interruptions not to his doing with what's going on now? James Gunn was involved with a lot of the phase 4 planning as well... I think Marvel Studio's going to want to take a breather and just roll with the Disney acquisition of Fox.

If the movie lineup/development re-sets too much, I don't see Kevin Feige wanting to stick around for a contract renewal as he's already said he's thinking about what they're delivering through 2019. He's got his goals and objectives and things need to be par for this sort of high stress job to really provide good positive motivation.

23. Darkprime

Darkprime Well-Known Member

I doubt well see them in phase 4. You might see some F4,X-Men characters pop up. Maybe theyll throw in Fantastic Four in 2021/22 like they did with Homecoming in 2017 and push a bunch of stuff back. That's the wrong approach IMO. But I think a fantastic four and x-men standalone are probably phase 5.

If Disney tells Feige hey you need to put x-men and F4 on the slate since our shareholders want to see results of this merger. Then Feige will have no choice but to fit them in somehow. I'm sure hed rather slowly develop them over years like Black Panther and Dr Strange but that might not be an option here.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  24. Art Freak

Art Freak Devourer of Worlds

I think GUARDIANS VOL. 3 still makes it in 2020 with a new director, Feige renews his contract and they soon go to four movies a year. 12 total for Phase 4 but still basically a three and a half year period average like Phases 1-3. Things are going too well for Disney/Marvel/Iger/Feige to worry about a little gunn on their shoe.

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME

BLACK WIDOW
    DOCTOR STRANGE 2
    GUARDIANS VOL. 3

BLACK PANTHER 2
    DEADPOOL 3
    SPIDER-MAN 3
    FANTASTIC FOUR

CAPTAIN MARVEL 2
    DOOM
    AVENGERS 5
    THE ETERNALS

X-MEN kick off 2023 and Phase 5. Though mutants will have been shown in several films prior.

25. Smurphftw

Smurphftw Loyal and affectionate. Hairy and temperamental

Is there really only going to be one MCU movie in 2019?