Marvel Films MCU Phase IV!

Simply because Marvel has a lot in their plate, and a lot of the sequels right now are taking more than 3 years just to be released. And they gotta save something for the 2030s. When I was writing that list, I was already running out of heroes that I think could launch solo films. 6 years from now isn't that long considering that they still have many heroes yet that will get a solo 2nd/3rd film and possibly be released in the next 6 years.

My only counter to this would be is that shareholders will want to see results from the 71 billion dollar purchase pretty quickly. Which could mean they fast track a X-Men or F4 movie.

I was pulling for Pugh. She was great in Fighting with my Family

My only counter to this would be is that shareholders will want to see results from the 71 billion dollar purchase pretty quickly. Which could mean they fast track a X-Men or F4 movie.
If made, it will be the second reboot and I'm sure all of major studios wouldn't just gloss over the fact that Fant4stic bombed, including Disney. I'm not saying Disney can't make the Fantastic Four successful, but when properties like Black Panther and Captain Marvel are the new money and Black Widow, Shang Chi and Eternals about to get their film. I don't see why the studio would quickly jump on the second Fantastic Four reboot and release it 3 years from now especially they are also getting the X-Men and that would be the bigger priority out of the two. I think 6 years from now is more ideal, ten years since the last one and the others have already completed their trilogy by that time.

If anything I suspect the X-Men will be the ones on the shelf longer than FF. X-Men will require a bit longer to build up anticipation given that they have yet to actually end the FOX run of films. Plus there's just so many other characters and teams to figure out. The Mutants are themselves not a single property but almost a franchise built of a bunch of other franchises. Characters with solo potential like Wolverine or Gambit etc. but also multiple associated groups. Not just the X-Men but the likes of X-Force, X-Factor, Excalibur, The New Mutants and Alpha Flight. You have to have a plan in place not only for the mutants as a group of IPs but then also how does all of that fit into the wider MCU and the future mega arcs that they are obviously going to do as a follow up to the Thanos/Infinity Stones Saga.

The FF are MUCH, MUCH simpler, with fewer characters to figure out and decide what to do with in terms of how they can fit into the MCU. And there's less need for a "cooling off" phase due to as already noted, the failures of the FF films. Hugh Jackman's last time as Logan was only two years ago and it was not only well received but it was a grand capstone to Jackman's time in the role. He's pretty much Wolverine in the mind of the public, as much as Patrick Stewart is Xavier and Mckellen is Magneto, all apologies to McAvoy and Fassbender but that's just the truth.

The FF don't have that hanging over their heads. No live action version was embraced by the masses. While Marvel has been good at working on the fly with integrating things that were unexpected but with far reaching implications like the sudden availability of Spider-Man, the X-Men are a much bigger proposition. Just think about the search for talent alone. With the FF it's basically finding a director, the right writer or most likely writers and five pieces of casting: Reed, Sue, Johnny, Ben and Victor (Not that I'm intimating that they should link Victor to the FF's origin the way the Story films did, but I'm saying THOSE are the characters that above all else NEED to be cast in a pitch perfect manner. No one cares if Willie Lumpkin is subpar, but you can't whiff on Doom and Mr. Fantastic again.)

Now think of what figuring out the mutants as a whole involves. It's just THAT much more.

And if I can project onto Feige and Co. for a moment... While it's more work to piece together the plan for the Mutants in the MCU I think that there's more challenge in bringing the Fantastic Four and I mean that it's a more rewarding challenge. This is Marvel's first family. THE FIRST FAMILY. The ground zero of the Marvel Universe (Please nerds... Don't bring up Namor or the Android Torch, you know what I ****ing mean...) and the seeds of everything that was to come after up to and including the mega successful change over from a company all about comic book publishing to one that's now a movie making empire. The X-men have had real success as a film franchise already, up to and including spin offs. One can quibble about the level of quality or how accurate to the source material they have been but there are all told 13 Mutant based films. Again, cry all you want about their quality but that's 12 times post the release of the first X-Men film a studio thought these characters held enough potential to green light a little over a dozen separate films with budgets in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

They are at this point a PROVEN property even if there are fans that don't like the final results of every attempt at bringing them to the big screen or that not every film has been a smash success.

Again, perhaps projecting onto Feige and Co. but... I can see a need, a desire to want to succeed with the FF on the big screen where the other productions failed as a matter of pride. The X-Men will be there now to play with and I am sure that they already are planning what to do but since it's more complex it's gonna take more time, and the fact that the characters have been on the big screen consistently for 19 years already may lessen the innate drive to push out yet more films as soon as possible, share holder pressure notwithstanding. Feige has got more than enough clout at this point to be able to say "Sure, we're working on the Mutants... But I want to get the First Family Of Marvel in order immediately, so while we brain storm what to do with the Mutants in the long run let's focus in the short term on bringing Stan and Jack's original Marvel heroes into the mainstream sooner than later." I can see how that, cracking that nut I mean, being a feather Feige would want in his hat, even with all he's accomplished.

I'm more than prepared to be proven wrong. The X-men are popular and had a place in the pop culture via their films before the MCU was even a thing. There are certainly compelling arguments to be made in hitting the ground running with them. But I just think the relative simplicity of the FF as compared to the Mutants along with how it would be a more satisfying "win" to finally get the FF right on the big screen... Yeah I think we'll be seeing the Four before we see Logan, Scott, Xavier and the rest again.

Anyone want to see Wendell Vaughn (Quasar) brought into the fold?

I've wanted to see Quasar on film for years but I figure that if we get anyone of that ilk it will be Nova - and I don't see Marvel then giving us another character that they may figure the GA could potentially see as being very similar. Hell, there's even the argument that Nova doesn't even get introduced as it could take heat away from Captain Marvel.

So sadly I fear that we're not likely to see the Quantum-Bands on screen any more than we're likely to see Mar-Vell's Nega-bands.

I've wanted to see Quasar on film for years but I figure that if we get anyone of that ilk it will be Nova - and I don't see Marvel then giving us another character that they may figure the GA could potentially see as being very similar. Hell, there's even the argument that Nova doesn't even get introduced as it could take heat away from Captain Marvel.

So sadly I fear that we're not likely to see the Quantum-Bands on screen any more than we're likely to see Mar-Vell's Nega-bands.
Actually, I expect Phyla-Vell to be introduced in Guardians 3 (Gunn did tease the name "Quasar" on twitter before). I'm guessing she would be made the definitive version of Quasar for the MCU in the same way Carol is the definitive Captain Marvel. The use of her Quantum Sword would also help differentiate from Captain Marvel, probably.

Last edited:
If anything I suspect the X-Men will be the ones on the shelf longer than FF. X-Men will require a bit longer to build up anticipation given that they have yet to actually end the FOX run of films. Plus there's just so many other characters and teams to figure out. The Mutants are themselves not a single property but almost a franchise built of a bunch of other franchises. Characters with solo potential like Wolverine or Gambit etc. but also multiple associated groups. Not just the X-Men but the likes of X-Force, X-Factor, Excalibur, The New Mutants and Alpha Flight. You have to have a plan in place not only for the mutants as a group of IPs but then also how does all of that fit into the wider MCU and the future mega arcs that they are obviously going to do as a follow up to the Thanos/Infinity Stones Saga.

The FF are MUCH, MUCH simpler, with fewer characters to figure out and decide what to do with in terms of how they can fit into the MCU. And there's less need for a "cooling off" phase due to as already noted, the failures of the FF films. Hugh Jackman's last time as Logan was only two years ago and it was not only well received but it was a grand capstone to Jackman's time in the role. He's pretty much Wolverine in the mind of the public, as much as Patrick Stewart is Xavier and Mckellen is Magneto, all apologies to McAvoy and Fassbender but that's just the truth.

The FF don't have that hanging over their heads. No live action version was embraced by the masses. While Marvel has been good at working on the fly with integrating things that were unexpected but with far reaching implications like the sudden availability of Spider-Man, the X-Men are a much bigger proposition. Just think about the search for talent alone. With the FF it's basically finding a director, the right writer or most likely writers and five pieces of casting: Reed, Sue, Johnny, Ben and Victor (Not that I'm intimating that they should link Victor to the FF's origin the way the Story films did, but I'm saying THOSE are the characters that above all else NEED to be cast in a pitch perfect manner. No one cares if Willie Lumpkin is subpar, but you can't whiff on Doom and Mr. Fantastic again.)

Now think of what figuring out the mutants as a whole involves. It's just THAT much more.

And if I can project onto Feige and Co. for a moment... While it's more work to piece together the plan for the Mutants in the MCU I think that there's more challenge in bringing the Fantastic Four and I mean that it's a more rewarding challenge. This is Marvel's first family. THE FIRST FAMILY. The ground zero of the Marvel Universe (Please nerds... Don't bring up Namor or the Android Torch, you know what I ****ing mean...) and the seeds of everything that was to come after up to and including the mega successful change over from a company all about comic book publishing to one that's now a movie making empire. The X-men have had real success as a film franchise already, up to and including spin offs. One can quibble about the level of quality or how accurate to the source material they have been but there are all told 13 Mutant based films. Again, cry all you want about their quality but that's 12 times post the release of the first X-Men film a studio thought these characters held enough potential to green light a little over a dozen separate films with budgets in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

They are at this point a PROVEN property even if there are fans that don't like the final results of every attempt at bringing them to the big screen or that not every film has been a smash success.

Again, perhaps projecting onto Feige and Co. but... I can see a need, a desire to want to succeed with the FF on the big screen where the other productions failed as a matter of pride. The X-Men will be there now to play with and I am sure that they already are planning what to do but since it's more complex it's gonna take more time, and the fact that the characters have been on the big screen consistently for 19 years already may lessen the innate drive to push out yet more films as soon as possible, share holder pressure notwithstanding. Feige has got more than enough clout at this point to be able to say "Sure, we're working on the Mutants... But I want to get the First Family Of Marvel in order immediately, so while we brain storm what to do with the Mutants in the long run let's focus in the short term on bringing Stan and Jack's original Marvel heroes into the mainstream sooner than later." I can see how that, cracking that nut I mean, being a feather Feige would want in his hat, even with all he's accomplished.

I'm more than prepared to be proven wrong. The X-men are popular and had a place in the pop culture via their films before the MCU was even a thing. There are certainly compelling arguments to be made in hitting the ground running with them. But I just think the relative simplicity of the FF as compared to the Mutants along with how it would be a more satisfying "win" to finally get the FF right on the big screen... Yeah I think we'll be seeing the Four before we see Logan, Scott, Xavier and the rest again.

This should be pinned. Lol. Couldn't agree more. I want them to take their time with the X-Men. The Fantastic Four are ready to go, it has been long enough since their last big screen outing, an abysmal one at that. Although I wonder how/when they'll tease them and in what film.

Got to be honest, I grew up with classic Mar-Vell and was perfectly fine with them going with Carol instead, and with the 'other' thing they did (cant find the blackout button in this new format, but I figure you know what I mean) but I also grew up with Wendell as Quasar and I just dont know if I can handle them going with Phyla-Vell instead, as well. I mean, were does it stop - we finally get Nova and its Ko-Rel?

Phase IV will be mostly sequels more Widow, Eternals and Shang chi.
shouldnt we make a Phase V thread? thats the interesting one :D

Feige has said they are not going to be doing "phases" or anything in the future. At least, not in the manner we're accustomed to now.

I think Phyla-Vell is a strong possibility for the very near future.

Reactions: MbJ
Particularly with Feige and others at the studio recently teasing we could finally start seeing some LGBT characters in these films.

Iceman.
Too early for a thread but like me, we can just post our predictions for Pha5e here.

I think they should get Ant-man and gotg out of the way before the first X-Men film. Like its very possible that those two like the big 3 would be limited to a trilogy. Gotg should come out at least in 2022, its weird how the firing of James Gunn is delaying the film for like two years especially it was planned for a 2020 release.

Black Widow (May)
Eternals (November)

Doctor Strange Returns (February)
Shang-Chi (May)
Black Panther Reloaded (November)

Ant-Man and the Goliath (February) final Ant-Man solo film
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (May) final Guardians team film
Captain Marvel: Here We Go Again! (July)

Avengers: The Fifth Element (May)
Spider-Man: Go Big or Go Home (July) final Spider-Man solo film
Eternals United (November)

PHASE FIVE
Shang-Chi Supremacy (February)
Black Panther Rises (May) final Black Panther solo film
Doctor Strange Revolution (November) final Dr. Strange solo film

Captain Marvel Trinity (March) final Capt. Marvel film
X-Men (May)
Black Knight (October)

Fantastic Four (February)
Avengers: The Sixth Sense (May)
Eternals The Last Stand (November) final Eternals team film

PHASE SIX
Shang-Chi Ultimatum (February) final Shang Chi film
X-Men II (May)
Silver Surfer (November)

Black Knight Into Darkness (February)
Inhumans (May)
Daredevil Begins (November)

Fantastic Four: Chamber of the Moloids (March)
Avengers: Lucky 7 (May)
X-Men III (July)

Silver Surfer Evolution (February)
Avengers vs X-Men (April)
Daredevil Chapter Two (October)

PHASE SEVEN
Black Knight Beyond (March) final Black Knight film
Inhumans 2 (May)
A X-Men Story: The New Mutants (October)

Fantastic Four: Prisoner of Latveria (February)
X-Men IV (May)
Daredevil Chapter Three (November) final Daredevil solo film

Silver Surfer Eclipse (March) final Silver Surfer solo film
Avengers: The Hateful Eight (May)
A X-Men Story: X-Force (October)

PHASE EIGHT
Iron Fist Refueled (February)
Inhumans 3 (May) final Inhumans team film
A X-Men Story: X-Factor (October)

X-Men V (May)
Fantastic Four: Legacy (July) final Fantastic 4 team film

Iron Fist Reignited (February)
Avengers: Nine Lives (April)

GOTG 3 is 2023 at the absolute earliest. Yes, there was a script for 3. But James Gunn signed on to direct and write Suicide Squad, which has an announced summer 2021 release date. It’s not possible for him to work on both movies at the same time, there’s not enough time in the day. He’s spending between now and summer 2021 doing preproduction/filming/post/world press tour for Squad. And Warner Bros isn’t obligated to delay hopefully making hundreds of millions of dollars so that another studio can first, especially when they have contracts with Gunn locked in. Having James Gunn is a massive selling point for the Squad reboot, they’re not jeopardizing that.

Then sure, he can hop right into Guardians right after, but there’s only so much preproduction that can be done without him on it full time. Let alone if the script gets rewritten to fit the greater MCU a few years later, or if Gunn has characters from Fox he wants to use now that the option is there.

Then we’re in the lengthy post production process. Guardians 3 was gonna film winter 2018/spring 2019 for a summer 2020 release. At best we get Guardians 3 filming in winter 2021, which hypothetically means if they rushed the hell out of it winter 2022 is doable. But do you want Gunn to be as rushed and tired as Whedon was on Ultron?

Personally I want him to leave Suicide Squad.

I think he will there's no way hes sticking with it IMO. It just depends how tight his contract is with WB. Unless he becomes really difficult to work with on purpose challenging every decision by WB so they let him go over the classic "creative differences" it could cause legal issues if they found out he was being difficult on purpose just to get out of his contract. Who knows well have to wait and see what happens I believe hell quit in 3 months. But I could be wrong.

I hope he leaves even if its gonna be so obvious that gotg is the main factor. I know directors can juggle two films at a time. But I can't see him dedicating that much effort to SS compare to a film that he was originally hired to do first and later accepted the offer to return after being fired and humiliated by it. It would feel like SS is something that he needs to finished (because he signed a contract and needed a job) before he goes back to his passion and baby.

You never know, the DCFU may let him go as a sign of good faith and kickstart a sort of back channel for creatives between the two cinecomic universes, mirroring some periods of the DC/Marvel in-print rivalry.

Planting the first seeds for collaborating, years and years from now, on JLA vs Avengers!

One can hope, right? :halo:

Maybe he, you know, wants to do Suicide Squad? Shock, I know!

Personally my definition of crazy would be having the chance to do a marvel flick and doing a dc flick instead lol

Funnilly enough here was a time, not too long ago really, when the exact opposite could be said.

You never know, the DCFU may let him go as a sign of good faith and kickstart a sort of back channel for creatives between the two cinecomic universes, mirroring some periods of the DC/Marvel in-print rivalry.

Planting the first seeds for collaborating, years and years from now, on JLA vs Avengers!

One can hope, right? :halo:
Unfortunately not realistic but that would be the ultimate! :cwink:

I wouldn’t complain lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"