Metal Monstrosities - The Official Sentinels/Project Wideawake thread

Discussion in 'X-Men 1, 2 & 3' started by Mister Sinister, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Nell2ThaIzzay

Nell2ThaIzzay Registered

Though I understand the comparison you're trying to make, it's not quite the right example.

The example would be more like expecting a high quality lobster when you go to Sizzler...

You see, the Danger Room sequence is a scene that doesn't have anything to do with the main storyline. It's put in there as a refresher to the audiences for these characters and their powers. Read the Premiere article if you don't believe me. That's exactly what Ratner said this scene was intended to do.

It's not supposed to be epic, powerful, emotional. It's not supposed to be the high quality lobster dinner.

The rest of the movie, however, is. This scene is the appetizer before the main course. It's not supposed to completely fill you up, and completely satisfy you. It's supposed to tide you over until the lobster dinner comes.

With that said, most of the complaining about the complaining (at least on my part, and I know from others) is not because they didn't like the clip. I agree, not everyone has the same tastes.

But it's the way those concerns are being addressed.

It's the doom and gloom "OH MY GOD, THIS MOVIE IS DOOMED!" because of an incomplete clip, that possibly has incomplete effects, and is not the final edit for the actual film. It's like complaining about the whole meal because your soda was flat.

People who come in and say "I didn't feel that this clip was very good because of A, B, and C" are fine. It's the people running around "OMG, THIS MOVIE IS DOOMED!!!"... I.E. see Logan-whatever the rest of his name is posts on the xverse towards Penn and Kinberg, specifically Penn. That's the kind of complaining I have a problem with. It's *****ing for the sake of *****ing.

Some people were underwhelmed. I highly disagree with most of the complaints about this entire franchise... I think that up to this point, the movies have captured these characters brilliantly, and it is my opinion that this movie is going to continue that success. And because of how accurate I felt these characters were, I don't understand how people can have such high complaints about these films, and how they were handled.

But at least when people intelligently discuss what they felt was wrong with these movies, or what they feel will be wrong with this film, then I can respect that. See my debate in the non-spoilers forum, in the "What was so hard about getting the relationships right" thread. I don't agree with AngrySentinel or Fiery Balrog on any level. And because of my view of the movie, it is my opinion that they aren't interpreting it right. But, they can intelligently discuss what it is about the films they found to be flawed. And even if I disagree, and can't actually see their point, I can respect their opinion, because they've obviously based it on something, and aren't just looking for a reason to *****.

It's the people running around "THESE GUYS ARE HACKS! THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING! THE MOVIE IS TOO SHORT, AND THE CLIP SUCKS! I COULD MAKE A BETTER SENTINEL THAN THAT!" that bugs me. That's not intelligent expression of opinion. That's *****ing.

2. Maze

Maze Proud AquaMomoa inventor

lol! the problem is that you are right!:D

3. PWN3R

PWN3R Instagram:@Mannie_Bothans

Thats the first thing I thought of. And how...what..huh, since when did Wolverine have teleportation powers??

Where did he come from!?!

I know he landed somewhere else, and is walking up, but I mean I can see it confusing ALOT of people.

4. Goop

Goop Guest

I was disappointed by the clip too. Not so much the special effects but by the campy acting and dialogue. Last cigar? panties in bunch? Halle had some real terrible lines too. I'm sure Colossus will be touched up later so its not worth griping about. How Wolverine walks from behind a sentinel head not even out of breath concerns me. He didn't even look angry when he popped his claws. Isn't wolvy suppose to be a festering pit of rage? This seemed to be a very simple scene to do and it was done poorly.

I'm a huge comic fan and loved the first 2, i'm now terrified that this movie is going to turn out ala Batman and Robin or Mortal Kombat:Annihilation. Luckily i can coun't on the superior acting skills of Patrick Stewart, Ian Mckellen and Kelsey Grammer to carry this movie if worse comes to worse.

5. Endeavor

Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

Thanks for your response Nell. I like that you actually take the time to have a conversation.
    By what you said though I don't think you quite understood my point(s).

The DR clip in question was secondary to my argument and my restaurant illustration was not alluding to it. Rather it was illustrating why I see something wrong with the "be gratefull you're getting anything at all" mentality. I will never agree that we have to settle for anything less than top quality, especially where my X-Men are concerned and when I know things can be done better. Again, it wasn't about judging the whole movie from that one clip, it was about not settling, and that applies whether you're in a Sizzlers or a 5 star restaurant.

Well, you're right. Those posts ARE annoying, even to people that might share their general opinion. Howver since you pointed out, they're being nonsensical, so what good is it to argue with them? Do you actually expect them to reason with you? If they truly are behaving like trolls then there's no fixing that is there? The only contribution you could make by arguing is prolonguing the presence of their nonsensical posts.
    Granted it's your right to do that, but you're stressing yourself out needlessly and wasting time that would be better spent having a dialogue with the likes of AngrySentinel, as you pointed out.
    In the end though, even those that are spewing hate for the sake of b|tching, it's still their right to. Let them have a place to vent their frustrations, even if they don't make sense to us. Maybe they just don't know how to express themselves better and its the best way the can let off steam... As long as they're not harrassing other people in here then why not let them have their say?

6. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Nell, and Endeavour... you both make very good points.

I must admit that the Wolverine/Sentinel clip was the one big thing I've seen that has seemed slightly below my expectations... although I don't like the look of Colossus in that other trailer when they are all standing in line for the last battle.

For me, what was 'wrong' with that clip was Wolverine appearing out of nowhere in perfect shape, with no sweat or signs of effort being exerted, despite having had to fall 15/20ft from a Sentinel; and the metallic sheen of Colossus; and also Wolverine's overly-casual attitude and strange accent. I'd also like to see/hear a whirlwind effect for Storm's spinning, to show that she is using the elements not some kind of acrobatic physical skill.

The sequence, although apparently edited, was slightly below what I have been expecting based on what we've seen so far.

Let us please not get another Fantastic Four...

7. Supreme Power

Supreme Power Registered

Excellent Post :cool: :up:

More Sentinals Please :o

8. Supreme Power

Supreme Power Registered

Perfect example of nitpicking and jumping too conclusions. You can't base how the entire movie will be off this one clip.

9. Maze

Maze Proud AquaMomoa inventor

there are no conclusions of the quality of the movie as a whole , in his post: he details why he doesn't like , and express his worries and fear(that is understandable from his point of view )

and his "conclusion" is:

10. Nell2ThaIzzay

Nell2ThaIzzay Registered

Though I totally disagree with you, this is the kind of post that I was talking about...

I may disagree with you, but at least you express what you didn't like about it. And again, I can't speak for other people, but these are the types of posts that I'm not referring to when I tell people to stop being so negative.

11. magus

magus I Believe in Harvey Dent

yeeeeeeeesssss. I said the exact same thing lol. I think the head could work just fine if it had a voice attatched to it, or at least a whole body; hell now that i think about it how about a whole clip. The one that we got was definitely edited to put on a talk show, that's why some of the dialogue was cut and it looks awkward. I am sure this sequence will play out well in its finished form when we have context before and after to place it in. SENTINEL TERRORIZE!

12. spideyboy_1111

spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

he obviously either rode it down... or just simply was off it.. and walking torwards them in the fog when it fell and landed.. i assume he rode it down though (would have been a cool shot to show it, but o well the scene is suppose to be one of the re-introducing ones sooo i dont take it much to heart)

13. PWN3R

Hopefully it was an edit for Leno, and the final cut will show more.

14. spideyboy_1111

spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

it wasnt an edit... the way the camera was shot was to never see what there fighting but show it up at the end..

15. PWN3R

I didn't mean the Sentinel, I meant the walking up/behind part.

16. GNR

GNR Registered

17. berzerko89

berzerko89 Registered

[​IMG]

if you'll notice theres a difference between the movie sentinel and the official game's sentinel. sorry i dont have the pic of the movie sentinel. ;)

18. HughJackFan420

HughJackFan420 Registered

/\not that much of a difference

19. HughJackFan420

anyways i think the way Logan decapitated that Sentinel is chopping away at its neck from the back the body falls forward, Logan rides on the shoulders and jumps off at the last second walking up behind the head.

i think that detail should've been in the movie as far as Logan riding the body down.

20. Endeavor

looks different to me

21. HughJackFan420

ok other than the fastball special scene where else did u see a sentinel in the movie?

22. Endeavor

That's the only glimpse we've seen and you know it.
    The framing of the 'facial features' is different. The eyes are different and so is the mouth. Hence it's different. You might not see much of it but I do.

23. chaseter

chaseter Esteemed Member

There is another sentinel?

24. pyrothebest

pyrothebest Registered

Yeah , there is difference between sentinel for the game and this ridiculous thing see in the movie , this is good with the sentinel from the game is that her eyes are human and green , and her head is similar with the comis design , and of course , the red color , some people think that red color may ridiculous in the movie , but me I think that this silver color which is ridicoulus.:down

To be honest , when I see the sentinel from the movie , I think Megatron from transformer..:ghost: :ghost:

25. XCharlieX

XCharlieX Guest

I vote for the silver being very good... at least they did that and we have yet to see the entire body.. perhaps they took the designs from x2s art. I liked those.

As for wolverines landing, i liked the camera wipe they did where he walks from behind it.

I saw a random burst of fire in the BG which led me to believe this clip wasnt completed fully. Hence I didnt critique the sfx and vfx except for the sentinel head, which looked quite real to me.

And whats with people dissing early 90s sfx? Im in my 20s and feel old lol